"Rebuild": A Zombie Survival RP

Cramer ''Homer'' Grimes

''Thanks anyway Louise I'm glad ye thank so. Seeing Deacon wasn't in his workshop, I'd just have to see what he wants in the morning. ''Yeah a good laughs good fer folks..my humors a bit on the wry side. I'm sure a shot of Jack would help ye sleep Darlin.'' A big yawn alters my voice as I speak ''I know would mine.'' The sleepiness had returned once again to claim me. ''Deacon ain't in his workshop..and I need some shut eye.'' Turning to make my way back up the hall, Louise walks with me to to point our paths separate. ''G'night Louise..thanks agin.''

Taking the liberty to hug her goodnight, she felt warm and smelled really nice. Releasing her from the impromptu embrace, I couldn't help but sheepishly grin as I backed away. Heading back to the couch to lay down on, upon reaching it I pull the throw off the back. Stretching on it covering myself with the throw, in five minutes I was out cold and snoring. The nightmare forgotten thanks to Louise, I'd make it up to her bless her sweet heart.

6:00 am would come before I new it, but I was accustomed to rising with the sun. But no sun on this gloomy Oregon morning, keeping the dark plaid throw around my shoulders. I really did need coffee first thing, but my garlicky breath could have stunned a Rhino. The showers and my toiletry kit were my target, I reach it to splash my face with cold water.
Removing a hand towel from my kit to dry off, toothpaste and toothbrush next teeth are now brushed. Running a comb through my two weeks growth of hair, deciding to let it and my beard grow out.

Desperately needing coffee to kick start my brain, like some beat old up Harley Davidson. I figured a zombie looks better than me right now, the friendly smile of Sarima Asthuli is a strengthening greeting. She hands me a large mug of Joe ''Allah bless you dear man.'' Her slender hands take my face gently. ''I pray you have peace in your soul Cramer.'' She looks deeply into my eyes, kissing each of my cheeks in a motherly way. ''Have faith now.'' I nod my head understandingly after she spoke. ''Thank ye...Allah bless ye dear woman.''

My day began with a blessing and prayers for peace, I couldn't have started on a better note. Sipping carefully from the steaming mug of coffee, it's time to find Ria and her cell phone. Asking Max as he's tinkering if he'd seen Ria, he grunts and jerks a thumb in the right direction. Walking in the direction he'd indicated to hear Cassie, nothing she might say surprised me anymore. With her pickle obsession and awful puns at least the movie quotes were pretty good. Seeing Ria off to the side with Deacon, this was my time to tell him we'll talk soon. ''Mornin ya'll. Deacon we'll talk later...but since ye goin bring back a bottle of Jack? And Ria ye wanted me to call the Winery? I'll need a cell phone never wanted one myself.''

Last edited:
Ria

"The catch is that I want to go out alone. I need to get away from this for a brief moment. I know it's dangerous and you will probably would want to stop me from doing something this stupid, but I REALLY need to get out." Deacon said to me as we stood out off earshot from the others.

He held up a hand,

"Alone I also have a much better chance of sneaking around. I have learned how to do that since I learned to walk. I am just asking you for a list of what you need and your blessing so to speak. Otherwise I will just slip out anyway. Please Ria."

Now I held up a hand to stop him from saying more.

"Medicines we have quite a lot, but we could use more insulin for Lola. The insulin I found was just one man's supply for a few weeks. I think Lee could use more suture material though. He would prefer spools and needles above those ready made little packets with one needle with the thread already in it. And IVs. We really could need those, but they are heavy by the bulk. And we will need a bulk. The rest, well aspirin and other lighter painkillers and bandages and band-aids would be welcome too. No-one way syringes he could use also. They will be difficult to find, I think. A bunch of one-ways would do too though."

Cramer was coming towards us, I laid my hand on Deacon's arm and waited to see what Cramer had to say.

''Mornin ya'll...''Deacon we'll talk later...but since ye goin bring back a bottle of Jack? And Ria ye wanted me to call the Winery?'' I smiled at Cramer.

"We have quite some bottles locked away. Cassie, Derry and Daniel brought them when they were at the Bar & Grill. We thought to use them for Molotovs, but I think we could do with a bottle at tonight's meeting. Too long we hadn't a treat during meeting. Some nice booze for us grown-ups and some sweets for the children would be in order I think. I have seen nicer bottles than just Jacks though. There was a Lagavulin among them, I think. It would be a shame to burn zombies with it!" I grinned. Took my phone and handed it to Cramer.

"Find yourself a quiet corner, we don't want the Winery-people to get a shock when they hear a lot of voices -or Cassie's jokes at this hour of the morning- when you talk to them. Do tell them we will arrive with a little tank and a truck. And some gifts, some books and some medical supplies. If we see a promising shop on the way, we will pay it a visit. They could have some of what we find there too. Toothpaste and such. I am sure they could use that ..."

Cramer walked away a few meters and already someone else was coming towards us, so I had to be quick.

"I don't want you to sneak out alone, Deacon." I pressed his arm, "Come with us, and get out off the car at the little clinic a few blocks away. That way I know you made it safely inside at least. After that you would be on your own, would that do?"

Everyone seemed bent on heading to bed, as for myself, I decided to wash up first, waving at everyone, I said my good nights while nodding at Deacon, that I would be along soon. Once in the wash area, I decided to take a quick shower. As I washed and rinsed I thought about our adventure to find a new home in the morning. I was really looking forward to seeing what this winery was like. It sounded like the perfect place to set up our new home. Once I was done I stepped out grabbed my towel and started on my hair, while still thinking, I hope if there are people at the winery, that we are still welcome. We do have a nice assortment of talent in our bunch.

Walking to my pile of cloths, slipped into my top and pants, and threw my wet towel and undies in the box of "to be washed cloths." I yawned and decided to quickly get to my room, knowing the bed would be one welcome sight. I had just finished finger combing my long hair when I quietly opened my door and peeked inside. In the gloom I saw that Deacon had beat me to bed, but looked like he had forgotten to take his clothes off first. I sighed and I went about taking his shoes and socks off, next I pulled his pants over his hips and down his long legs.

I kept looking up to see if he would wake up with my manhandling him with his pants, but no that's when I realized, 'He must be totally exhausted, to sleep through me pulling his clothes off. Well there is just his shirt now, and then he can sleep the rest of the night in peace.' I was able to pull his T-shirt up and over his head without much trouble. Standing back, I then slipped my clothes off, folded them up for the next day, since they were still wearable and slid under the covers. Spooning up against Deacon's back, I welcomed his warmth. Sighing to myself I closed my eyes and in no time at all was sound asleep.

The next thing I knew Deacon shaking my shoulder, "Morning there sleepy head, they say that the group that's going to the winery is getting ready. You will have to hurry." I moaned in answer. Seconds later I felt him kiss me and softly pad out of the room. I moaned again before suddenly his words registered.

Jumping up, I grabbed some clean undies, put them before sitting on the bed pulling my tight pants on. I thinking about my shirt I decided a clean one would be better. Sock and shoes came next, along with the gear I thought I would need. It had taken me 10 minutes before I was heading towards the breakfast area, as I drew near I could see a few people just either in the midst or finishing their breakfast.

I saw Deacon and Ria quietly talking, I slowed down to hear that Deacon planned on going off on his own. I looked at him in surprise, but waited it out. Once they were done, I nodded my head, I didn't like him going off like that alone, but I nodded my head anyways, mouthing,' BE CAREFULL" I knew he would be careful and could handle himself better then most people. As I got some milk and cereal, I knew I wouldn't be happy until I saw Deacon again when we got back from our winery trip. Sitting down at a table I quickly ate, as I glanced around hoping to see Cassie soon.

Cassie and her pickle fetish!

I saw Derry quickly eating her breakfast and headed over to talk to her.

“Private” I said, still acting like General Patton as I pull the pickle from my mouth “As of Today, I want all soldier in this unit to start their day with a glass of pickle juice! I have read that green stuff leftover at the bottom of the pickle jar can do amazing things … Google it, if you don’t believe me … It is a cure for a hangover, a natural weed killer, a pms remedy, a post-workout drink, heartburn cure, cleaning agent, meat tenderizer & marinade, and a hiccup stopper. Need I say more? We must be better than the enemy … and that means we are going to use pickle juice as our weapon of choice!”

Derry was laughing so hard … I could not keep a straight face and joined her in laughing. Finally when both of us were done laughing, She asked me “You are in a silly mood today”

I smiled and explained “We are going on a scouting mission to a winery … how awesome is that! What if the folks say yes … and we can stay? Can you imagine us living on a winery! They have cases and cases of wine there! I could get drunk and stay that way for weeks … never thinking about what happened to my parents … or killing f’ing zombies … or what will happen to humanity … none of the shit. I’ll just be comfortable numb!”

Derry shock her head and pointed out “nice fantasy … but I know you … you’ll go out and get into trouble doing something. And how can you enjoy wine … without pickle juice? You’ll need to come to town to get more!”

“Ahh crap … I had not thought about that.” I said smiling, and then I got serious “are you ready to go?” She nodded yes.

“Ok ... you’re driving today … same rules apply on the zombie killing game … Regular Zombie … 2 points … etc … I still have high score.” I explained to Derry.

“You are going down … I’m going to set a new high score … honey!” Derry proclaimed getting up from the breakfast table.

I turned to everyone assembled. “Ok… we are moving out in 5 minutes … smoke’em if you got’em” I said to everyone as I pretended to smoke my pickle!

Deacon

I could see in Ria's eyes that she would accept only that option, I gave her as rakish a smile I could muster with the scars,

"Let me get some weapons and I'll join you in Rambina's tank."

I headed to the storage room and unlocked it, inside I slipped on the harnass I had made for the two machetes, I slipped the PSG-1 over my shoulder with three magazines, next followed a bag with arrows and one of the earlier bows which I had time to modify. It was now a compound bow minus the sights, but then again I didn't need a sight. I headed back to the exit to find mostly everybody already there,

"OK I'm ready to go."

I still wore my jeans and dark t-shirt, part of the reason I wanted to go out was to do some clothing shopping as well. The hunting clothes was nice and all, but I wanted something sturdier to wear.

Cramer

Walking away to the supply room to make the call, tugging my wallet from my back pocket. Stepping into the room pulled to door to, taking the winery business card out. Fiddling around with Ria's phone a minute, finally getting the damned thing to turn on. Looking at the familiar number a moment, dialing and waiting for an answer as it rang.

After a minute of ringing someone answers. ''Hello...Country Inn Winery who's this?'' I paused thinking of how to put this. ''Yeah this is Cramer Grimes of Grimes Organic Farm... I was the Winery's produce supplier. A female voice was familiar but I couldn't place it. ''I remember you I'm glad you've survived Mr. Grimes. how can I help you?'' Well here goes nothing I think to myself. ''Well...I'm with survivors at the Knight Library in Eugene. It's gittin too dangerous here.''

She sounded concerned but wary, a man was in the background saying something. ''How much food and water do you have Mr. Grimes?'' We have two months of food and with rationing..we can't make it through the Winter. It wus decided to git out of the city..I was asked to call bein I know the owners. We have supplies you could use..anything you need we can git fer ye.'' The man said ask how many of them. ''How many are in your group?''

Stepping out of the supply room waving Ria over. ''Bout 25 men women and children..from 8 years old to 60 years old. Ria one of our leaders wants to talk to ye. One more thang just make a list with Ria... we'll pick it up for ya'll on the way. If it's ok with ye that is..this would be like a good will visit.

If ya'll permit a small group of us to come out..we have a APC, and a couple Humvee's. No doubt ya'll barricaded yerselves in..with all those things roamin bout out there. Here's Ria I have got to take care of something..I have a good feeling you're going to like Ria. Ya'll take care and call me back anytime, Ria will add the number to her phone. Ok here's Ria.''

I head downstairs to the APC and Humvee's, walking to the gun lockers to unlock them. Slinging my AR-15 over my right shoulder, strap my supressed Baretta 9 mm to my right thigh. Loading three extra 9 mm clips and two 7.6 nato round clips into AR-15, pushing them into a bandoleer from the armory. Buckling it around my waist sliding the clips to one side, strap my K-bar survival knife to my left thigh.

Padlocking the lockers closed once again, walking over to a key making machine starting it up. Copying the padlock keys for Ria, Peter and Max, I would discretely give them to Ria first of all. I wanted access to the weapons in proper hands, it was for everyone's own best interest, safety and security was paramount above all else. Who might still have a bit of Napoleon left in there system? Nobody was positive about this as yet we couldn't take chances.

I open the granola breakfast bars I brought with me, eating them and drinking a bottled water I'd brought also. Leaning up against the APC waiting on everyone, taking my shades from my pocket putting them on. Pulling a pack of cigarellos from my shirt pocket, taking a zippo lighter from my jeans pocket. Tap out one of the smokes into my hand, and place it between my lips. flip the lighter open striking it touching to light up, I take a long drag and exhaling through my nose.

Last edited:
Ria

Seeing Cramer waving at me I walked over to him, my eyes and mind still on Deacon.

''Bout 25 men women and children..from 8 years old to 60 years old. Ria one of our leaders wants to talk to ye. One more thang just make a list with Ria... we'll pick it up for ya'll on the way. If it's ok with ye that is..this would be like a good will visit. If ya'll permit a small group of us to come out..we have a unarmed APC, a box truck to bring the things ya'll need. No doubt ya'll barricaded yerselves in..with all those things roamin bout out there.''

I wasn't really listening to Cramer, only when he mentioned my name I peaked my ears. When he handed me my phone I almost dropped it. He had told and promised them more than I had been thinking of!

"Hello," I said tentatively. I was nervous. Very nervous. "My name is Ria. Ria van der Plas. I am one of the leaders here in the Knight. We did quite well until we were attacked by around fifty zombies some nights ago. They could enter the Knight because someone opened them a door. We lost two people and have some wounded and some recovering from Napoleon."

I then had to explain what Napoleon was. And told the lady on the phone about the virus and the spores.

"We are looking for a more secure place to live," I told her. The voice in the background was annoying me with the questions he told her to ask me. "We are just scouting. We wanted to pay you a visit. We think it is important to form alliances. Maybe we could be more to each other, but that would better be discussed in person I think. If it is alright for you we would arrive at your door in about two to three hours. We are planning to scavenge a drugstore on the way out. That is better done early in the morning when the zombies are still a bit slow from the cold night. If you could use some toothpaste and lady's hygienic thingies we would be happy to bring you a box or two. That, and the books we have for you and the information I just gave you would certainly be enough to open your doors for us I hope?"

The voice in the background seemed to agree, and after she told us toothpaste would be welcome and gave me a short list (hygienic pads were on it!) she wished us a safe trip and told me we were invited for lunch.

Cramer still stood beside me, and we looked at each other while I closed my phone.

Troy

The morning had started off reasonably well. Percy,Brett and David had begun working on the first set of bows. It had been a lot simpler than they had first thought as they had all the tools they needed already, The first ten longbows were already bent and were now being fired (dried). The process would take two days but then they would have sturdy bows. During this time they would work on the Arrows. David had found a site that showed how to make artificial flights and had printed off several copies. Already the net was becoming unstable as servers died due to lack of electricity.

They had been eating breakfast when the phone had rang startling everyone. Maddie had answered it and by habit had recited the usual spiel "Hello...Country Inn Winery who's this?'' It turned out to be her old organic food supplier who normally dealt with Mrs Brady. Seemed he had been in town and had managed to survive with a bunch of people. Now they were looking to get out and he knew the Winery was a good place to defend. It seemed like they had some stuff to trade and were willing to help out, so Troy had agreed to them sending a small force for a meet and greet. He had warned them about the booby trapped road and Maddy told Cramer to take the Private road Entrance as he knew where the key was. They had to be careful on the final approach but they should make it.

"Okay people," Troy called out to everyone after they walked back into the dining hall. "It seems like we will be getting some welcome visitors for a change. Another group of survivors has just contacted us and it seems as if they are looking for a place to stay. Now I know some of you may be against this idea, and until I meet them I am myself but the fact is we won't survive on our own. There just aren't enough of us to defend this place and get fresh food to survive. They have 25 more people from 8 to 60 including fighters, teachers, farmers, the sort of people we need. Now I am not saying we need to just welcome these people with open arms. They turn out to be jerks, we tell them to piss off, but we can hear them out. That said I want our best snipers under cover on the roof with those rifles, Maddy, Brett, Odette and Vicky covering them with those hunting bows from the first floor and I will need two volunteers to join me outside armed with the shotguns. The rest of you will be on the roof with Molotov cocktails. I am not having them try to break into this place. Okay people we have two hours to get ready, let's move."

Ria

Ready to go ...

A lot of people were standing around at the doors, but only seven of us would go: Cassie, Derry, Deacon, Cramer, Lt Ski, Sgt. Washington and I.

Skip and Thomas -Skip leaning heavily on Thomas' shoulder- looked envious at us. I was glad to see them on their feet but nevertheless I told them to go back to bed.

"Nope" Thomas said, "we will sit at the window on the second floor, in Norah's workshop. W'll watch the road and make some arrows." I nodded. What else should I do? Skip's leg needed time to heal, both needed time to recover from the fever, but both could do some light work in the meantime. Carla had decided to start to reorganize the pantry with Scotty's help too.

Peter stood a bit to the side. I walked over to him just when Deacon came back.

"We will drive on to Cramer's farm, Peter, when we are finished at the Winery. It is only ten miles or so, Cramer said. We need to check if it is still his farm. Maybe we need to leave a few people there to make sure it stays his until we can get his crops in. We won't be back until dark. Deacon will come back on his own." I looked grim. We were not strong enough to split in two groups. But it could be necessary. Maybe Cramer, Ski and Washington ...

Daniel

After the meeting, after Deacon had beaten up Peter as well, nothing much happened. With me, at leat. Everyone had completely forgotten about me. As if I didn't even exist. As if I was insignificant and had no say in anything.

Which was what annoyed me the most. I had been here from the very beginning. I was one of the people who had helped establish order and end the initial chaos, and set up the original defenses to keep the zombies out. I was one if the first to go on a scouting mission, and had almost died on several occasions while outside, and had almost died of the virus while back here. And when the zombies had attacked after Lex had let them in, I, while still weak from the virus, helped fight them all of.

And then Deacon, who had only been here for a day or two, had gone on one scouting mission, albeit a pretty dangerous one, and all he had done was bring more mouths to feed, waste food, and bring some explosives from the military base. The weapons were neat, but food, which we were lacking in, had not been retrieved at all. And somehow, Deacon had become the unofficial leader. Ria was in complete control of the Library now, having taken all of Peter's power, and now she was but a puppet for Deacon, Derry, and Cassandra.

Derry was Deacon's slut, she would do what he wanted. Even though I had saved her life so many times, she turned her back on me as soon as Deacon did. And Cassandra, that whore! She had never even acknowledged me once she had returned. No, she had to sit with her new friends! Deacon, Derry, and Cramer.

And Cramer was the worst of all. He was a brainless, uneducated, manipulated oaf. Deacon was using him, too. Deacon was using everybody. The only people who weren't fooled was Peter and myself. Which was why we both had to escape. Already Deacon had assaulted the both of us for not complying with him. Soon, once he obtained complete control, he would most definitely kill us.

Upon awaking, I quickly got out of my makeshift bed. I slept with everyone else, with the general population, I didn't demand my own room, like Ria or Derry and Deacon or all the others. I didn't separate myself. I stayed with the people, for they were supposed to be the ones with the power, not a small group of dictators. Anyways, I quickly ran to the entrance, where the scouting party was leaving. I walked up to Peter, who was talking to Ria, and I nudged him.

"Peter, I need to talk to you!" I whispered to him, and he nodded, finishing up what he was doing with Ria. He joined me by the wall, waiting for what I had to say. At least he still trusted me, I made sure no one was listening in on us, especially Deacon or one of his "buddies", before speaking.

"Listen Peter, I am going to leave the Knight, and I want you to join me." I saw the look of bewilderment on his face, and I quickly motioned for him to be quiet. "Let me explain, okay?" He nodded letting me continue. I took a deep breath before telling him my reasons for leaving.

"So, I helped the Knight from the very beginning, right? And what do I get in return? A beating by Deacon. And you, you helped keep us calm and organized since we started. What happened to you? You were punched by Deacon, and lost all your power. The only person now who has power is Ria. She has complete control. And who does she listen to the most? Deacon, Derry, Cassandra, and Cramer." I spat out each name. "All of whom are controlled by Deacon. Derry is his slut, she'll do whatever he wants. Cassandra is another slut who just can't think and easily manipulated. And as for Cramer, he is a dumb bastard who is also manipulated my Deacon. So, since Ria only listens to those four, and Deacon controls all four of them, who basically shares absolute power with Ria?

"That's right, Deacon does. And Deacon had shown to the both of us that he doesn't like us at all, and is willing to use force to get what he wants. So once he finally gets complete control, what's gonna stop him from killing us, or banishing us? He already beat us both up, and Ria merely made him apologize. And only to you, not even to me. And his apology was empty. He would do it again if he wanted to. So I say we get out of here. Only you and I are a aware of what's happening here, and if we don't get out soon, we will both end up dead. What do you say, you with me?"

There was a silence which followed for several moments before Peter answered. I honestly thought he would jump at the idea instantly, but he needed to think this out. The idiot! Did he not see that Deacon was slowly taken over, and we were in danger!

Peter and Daniel

Peter stood there and listened as Daniel ranted and raved about a bunch of people at the Knight. He seemed to really have it out for Deacon. As the younger man finished … Peter was not sure what to say. He stood there in silence for several moments until he thought of what to say.

“I need to think about all this …” Peter said hoping that would stall Daniel, while Peter figured out what to do about this situation. Peter thought his strategy worked … even though Daniel was a bit upset at Peter’s delay.

“How about later today … after the scouting team is out on their mission?” Peter offered. Daniel nodded … but Peter was not sure if that was an acknowledgement of his statement or acknowledgement Daniel heard him. The two men went off to their various duties.

Cassandra and the Winery Convoy … move out

Myself, Derry, Lt Ski, SSgt. Washington were in the cute tank. Deacon, Cramer, and Ria were following us in the big truck. Derry was driving … and had a few problem at the start … she was just not forceful enough on her steering. But it did not take long and she had figured it out. We were rolling up the Hilyard St. She had already run over 5 zombies ... so she was doing good on her point total. However we saw a drung store and asked her to pull over. Derry slowed down and stopped the APC next to the “Sav-on” drug store.

The truck behind us also pulled over and everyone got out. We all got out with the exception of SSgt. Washington who was manning the APC turret. Ria warned the Sgt before we entered “Don’t fire unless you really have too … don’t want to attract anymore zombies than we need too”

SSgt Washington nodded her head in agreement.

We all enter the large store. All the lights were out… and the place was dark and creepy. We took our time to move slowly. It appeared that people had been in this store before … much of the merchandise was scattered around on the floor and the displays were knocked down. I had my “Rambina” attitude on … ready to kill any zombies I ran across. Cramer was leading the way, but I was right behind him … Deacon and Ria were going through a different aisle. So were Derry, Lt Ski … I noticed there was smeared dirt and blood on the floor … that made my heart pound … a clear warning that there were zombies somewhere nearby.

There was a squeak of something ahead and Cramer move even more quietly. He and I advanced a little further and took a peak around an aisle of toys and saw … a figure sprawled out on the floor … it was covered in knocked over toys. Its jaw was hanging open and its exposed skin was a sick mixture of blue and green. It was definitely a zombie. But it looked like a dead one. Cramer turned to me and whispered, "There are more zombies around the corner. Get ready!"

I already had my bow out … and an arrow fitted. If the zombies came too fast at me… I was ready to switch to my machete.

Ria

Sitting comfortable on the front seat between the two men I watched the tank drive over zombies. The walking zombies didn't stink that much, but a deadier one ... once I made Cramer stop so we could spray one with alcohol and set it on fire.

Shortly after that we came up to a drugstore. Not many zombies were in sight, most of the ones following the cars already were distracted by the fire.

I warned SSgt Washington not to fire unless she really needed to, and we headed into the dark shop. It didn't look more inviting once inside. The place was a chaos. I wasn't sure if it had already been scavenged or if people had been fighting. Judging the amount of merchandise on the floor and the rotting smell I tended to the last and had one of my machetes in my hand when I followed Deacon into one of the aisles. I wasn't sure if I liked the fact we had split up already. Ahead of something squeaked.

Beside us I heard Cramer and Cassie whispering. I was worried about Lt. Ski. As far as I knew she hadn't been in direct contact with zombies. I wondered if she had listened when we told her how to fight them. She had nodded her head a few times, but to me it had looked as if she simply was being polite.

Deacon and I were careful to make as less noise as possible, which wasn't easy with all the stuff lying around. All the time I had my move my feet a little bit when I felt something under them which I hadn't seen in the dark. And the deeper we came into the shop, the darker it got.

More noises ahead of us. I gripped my machete harder. Took the other one out off its sheath on my back. Deacon stopped moving and I moved on until I stood beside him.

I paused, allowing Ria to draw up next to me, there was something up ahead, and moving up from the light and into the dark was not doing any of us any good. I wanted to sign to Ria, but she had no training, I could not even count on her to move like a hunter, this really was a bad situation. I felt like we would be walking into a trap, a trap that could kill some if not all of us. I hunkered down, straining my senses, of course smell did not work, hearing worked only slightly as the others kept moving about, sight was improving slowly. I caught the rustle of clothing up ahead and got to my feet, holding a restraining arm in front of Ria, taking two steps forward, I strained to hear, to see, but what I got instead was feel. Nothing touched me, but when you hunt a lot, you just know that something was watching you, that something would be happening soon...

I slowly drew a machete, making sure that the blade would make no sound, crouching into a ready position and waited. Then a low grumble sounded from ahead of us and in the dim light I could see movement. I slowly stepped back as shuffeling steps came towards us, I pushed Ria backwards, back towards the light,

"We need light, move back, let's see what it is."

Ria

Deacon was clearly absorbed in what he was doing, so I breathed as soundless as I could and didn't move a muscle. In the aisles beside us the others kept moving and had the urge to call out to them to stop. The feeling was as bad as knowing a student was cheating on a test but not being able to catch him in the act. I had to concentrate hard to keep my mouth shut.

I strained my ears hear more than our friends. Only Deacon's actions told me there was something else around though. My eyes were pretty useless in the darkness. I closed them to concentrate better on listening. Suddenly I felt a movement in front of me and startled, opened my eyes; it was Deacon though, holding his arm up warningly. I nodded. He moved forward -luckily the others had sensed something too and stopped moving- I peered into the darkness ahead of us. It seemed my eyes had adjusted a bit better.

Suddenly I saw a shadowy figure. It stood still, I thought I was staring at a mannequin when it moved and a package of something slid over the floor. I nearly made a step forward when Deacon rose from his crouch. I could hear shuffling steps now. Deacon pushed me back.

"We need light, move back, let's see what it is." He said softly beside my ear.

Let's see what it is ... It was a zombie! With a slight panic I thought of all the bottles, cans, packages and things behind me. Just at the tip of my right foot was a bottle. With a deliberate move I kicked it away as far as I could. The shadow went for it and I could walk backwards quite some steps before it moved in our direction again.

I only hoped the others wouldn't move and attract it. I hoped they waited to attack it from behind or to see if it had companions.

Cramer and Cassie

Cramer was ready … but just before he was going to go around the corner he saw Lt Ski and Derry three aisles down. We were ready … but Lt Ski was close to another zombie. So we watched as she walked quietly toward the zombie. Its back toward her … She raised her baseball bat and she smacked it in the head. But it was her first time and she had not hit it hard enough … The zombie groaned and … turned on her. Derry stepped in front of the Army officer and took a good hard swing and smashed the zombie’s head in. This time the zombie crashed to the floor, his head oozing brain matter.

“You got to hit them … like you mean it!!” Derry whispered to Lt Ski “think about them like … they are … cheating boyfriends!” She joked.

Other zombies in the store had heard the baseball bat blows and I could hear the shuffle on their feet (very different than human footsteps) approaching from the darkness in front of us.

I got ready … but that was when some movement caught my eye … around the corner behind me, my peripheral vision saw 4 slow moving zombies …I turned and released an arrow … taking one of them out.

“Cramer … you got the ones in front … I got these ones” I whispered to him. I hoped he was quick … because another one was already on me! I pulled out my machete and took a swing at him. The deep slice into its skull confirmed my blow was true. I had seen Ria and Deacon moving backwards ... now I knew why ... I saw about 7 zombies moving towards them!! … and I could hear Lt Ski and Derry smashing a few on their aisle ... this place was crawling with zombies!!

I kept swinging at the two approaching zombies … thinking “I’m going to die … trying to get some toothpaste and sanitary napkins … this new world was FUCKED UP!!”

Cramer and Patches

My AR-15 locked to my shoulder as I was crouched low, seeing the shadowy outside of zombies ahead. I hear Ski, and Derry take one out, Cassie turned with her back to me loosed an arrow. Taking aim center chest and up quickly, five fast place shots drop the first three. Giving a little ground my back was against Cassie's, the other zombies were slowed by the fallen. I could see better to take head shots, I drop the four in front of me.

Green blood and dead brain matter decorated the wall, pools of foul ooze spread around the deader. Barely audible I whisper to Cassie ''Grab the 9.mm from my holster Darlin it's silenced.'' It wouldn't be a second for her to decide, the soft pops of a suppressed 9.mm replaced the whisper of arrows. Ria and Deacon probably could use a little cover, stepping up onto the shelving to see over them. I fire right into a small group of zombies, hopefully this gave the two a chance to take them out.

Watching my step as the floor was littered with items, stepping back down on the solidity of the floor. Moving over and around the litter of bodies, scout behind the Pharmacy counter to find it's clear. Suddenly sounds of movement come from the stock room, push the door open with the muzzle of my weapon. Nearly jumping out of my skin I'm so damn surprised, a cat screeches leaping into my arms I bounce right off of the counter.

''Shit skeer the hell of a feller why don't ye?! I look down into big green terrified eyes of a calico cat, as it's claws were digging into my shirt. Shaking like a leaf it mews staring up at me, as I kept an eye out for any more zombies. Absently stroking my new found friends coat, I shush the cat quietly as it gradually calmed down. Turning around to find everyone looking at me. ''What?...so I'm good with animals..what can I say they have good taste.''

Last edited:
Well it went almost as I had planned, only that one form became two...three...six... Seven??? Where the heck did that amount of zombies come from? The soft thupping of the AR sounded to my side, three zombies went down. I still held Ria back, something strange was happening, the shuffles became faster as they came further into the light, I watched as they circumnavigated their fallen bretheren and the last one even stepped over them. I had seen enough for now, drawing the second machete I moved forward, using my height and power to my advantage to gain enough speed, I side-stepped the first hands groping for me, twin flashes of steel and two heads rolled to the ground.

I paid it no heed as I followed through with two more backhanded swipes, two more heads followed and I drew up to a stop. I scanned the interior, but it seemed like there were no other zombies in the aisle. Strangely enough...I cleaned the machete's on one of the zombies and sheathed them, with a chuckle I pulled the sanitary pads from the shelf. I held it up for Ria to see, shaking it from side to side,

"Well it seems like we have found part of what you wanted."

The loud yowl of a terrified cat turned my attention to where Cramer held a stiff tailed, hackle raised cat, I arched an eyebrow at his remark,

"Never trust a cat man ladies, he is indipendant and willfull."

I gave Cramer a smirk and turned my attention to the rear, for some strange reason I still felt uncomfortable,

"Ria I don't trust this, for a shop this size there should be more people, let's grab what you need and get out."

Ria

Hearing the blows and pops left and right I couldn't do anything because in front of me Deacon went berserk again. The aisle was to narrow to get around him and so I turned and watched our backs. The place looked as if people had tried to fight zombies off. With all the debris around, it simply didn't look as if it had been scavenged before.

"Well, it seems like we have found part of what you wanted." Deacon said while he shook a pack of sanitary napkins around before my eyes. I took a deep breath to tell him he should be more careful; I felt I did much better with Thomas, John and Skip. We never ran into danger without making sure someone else could get a blow in too. The screech of a cat took my attention though and I strained to see what was happening. I couldn't see anything because the shelfs were too high. Peeking through a gap I could make out Cramer with a cat on his shoulder.

''What?... so I'm good with animals ... what can I say, they have good taste.'' He said while he looked at us smartly.

The zombies were dealt with but Deacon didn't seem at ease. He still watched the back of the shop as if he expected more zombies to show up every second.

"Ria I don't trust this, for a shop this size there should be more people, let's grab what you need and get out." He was right. There should be more people, meaning dead ones, eaten ones. There were none. At least not up here.

"Maybe the people here did a good job and got out the back way?" I thought aloud. "Or they are hiding in a secure place, like Edna and Stewart and the others we found at the Garden Center? I still wonder if those ladies made it home with the grandchild ... That girl who just walked out ... I am afraid she didn't have much of a chance with her attitude. Those zombies here all came from the back, none was up front in the light. Which is untypical. They only do that if they smell food."

While I talked I had taken two of the shopping bags I had stuffed in one of my pockets and started to fill them with tampons and sanitary napkins. I really dreaded the time we would have to wear loads of fabric and a piece of plastic beneath it in our panties. We would have to wash them. Boil them in a big pot and stir it while it boiled. It was the task my mother and her sisters had hated most of all when they were adolescent girls. Around me I heard the others packing stuff in bags. We needed boxes. We should stack boxes in every vehicle from now on.

"People could still be alive if they had water enough. Ten or eleven days without food wouldn't have killed them. The zombies all were at the back. In the dark. They must have had a reason to do so. The cat is alive too. Without water it would have been dead."

Last edited:
''Grinning at Deacon's remark about cat men. ''Damned straight I am big man..ain't no Gal neutering this good ole boy!''

Stepping over to the Pharmacy counter, I found a flashlight on the second shelf. Clicking it on in my left hand, thankfully it worked as I searched for insulin. Finding a small box of big vials, syringes to load into a large box I'd found. Clearing shelves of pain killers, antibiotics and a variety of necessary meds. Bandages, antiseptic, elastic elbow and knee braces, step into the storeroom getting a creepy feeling.

Grab various cases of batteries and leave the room, walking to Ria with the box picking up bottled water as I go. Patches was written on a brass tag on the cats collar, I stop by pet supplies for a bowl, plushy mouse, Meow mix, and flea powders. Taking long shelf life cookies,candies, cigarillo's, gum, various other necessities for us and the Winery folks.

''I'm with you it's fuckin creepy back there in that storeroom!'' The cat even acted as if it really liked me, I think as I carry my box out to the truck. Stepping up into the back of the box, placing it down in the front. Going to the back of the truck, jumping out and go back into the CVS. Gathering more odds and ends into bags, just clearing half empty shelves of things we need. ''Lets git the hell outta after we git everythang left to eat.''

Putting boxes of matches into a bag, stumbling over a small propane tank. ''Deacon found little propane tanks over yonder..you can make more thangs boom.'' Adding lighter fluid to the big back, flashlights, Tylenol, Benadryl, Cold & Allergy meds, cigars, you name it. Hunt for more foodstuffs that's available, filling it with everything edible I can get my hands on.

Last edited:
I smiled at the sight of Cramer and the cat,

"I'll have a peek some time later."

I kept an eye on the dark end of the store as the other moved about, the unease did not diminish, nor did it grow. Even Cramer confirmed this suspicion when he mentioned the feeling he got from the storage room. Something was up and I was sure that something would not wait forever. Luckily Cramer understood haste and pretty soon he had loaded a lot of things on the truck. I made sure that everybody had gotten what we had came for and at the truck I shook Cramer's hand,

"Look after Derry for me, that girl means the world to me."

From there I went to Derry, caught her up in a bear hug, lifting her from her feet and whispered in her ear,

"Take care of yourself, I promise I'll be careful."

I placed her down and gave her a kiss on the lips, then straightened and looked around,

"You guys get moving...if something explodes with enough force to shake a few buildings...I'll not be coming home."

With a small wave I headed for the building opposite and slipped into the shadows

Ria

The light of Cramer's flashlight helped me somewhat to fill my bags. In the aisle I was were lots of things we could use, so I kept filling bags, and a carton box someone threw my way. I still kept thinking there might be people hiding here, but if they were, we had made enough noise by now for them to know the coast was clear once we were gone. They could come out then. At least I hoped they would.

Tampons, sanitary napkins, all brands, all sizes. Adult diapers. We could have used them back at the Knight two days ago! Luckily they were packed in bags already so I took as much of them as I could. Having filled my four bags and the carton I carried them to the truck. On my way in I grabbed a few handfuls of paper bags, stuffed one with condoms, others with more ladies things.

When I went out again more people were at the truck and Deacon was hugging Derry.

"You guys get moving...if something explodes with enough force to shake a few buildings...I'll not be coming home." Deacon said and send a chilling shiver down my spine.

"You make sure you are coming home!" I told him as sternly as I could.

With a frightened heart I watched him disappear into the shadows. I really hoped he would take good care of himself. In the distance some dogs barked.

"Is everyone here? Then lets mount the cars and move out off the city. I want to visit the Winery. And Cramer's farm after that." Some looked very surprised, but all mounted. With a sigh I sat down beside Cramer.

Puns and Pickles?

I heard Cramer say … ''Grab the 9 mm from my holster Darlin it's silenced.'' I reached back and grabbed his gun (NOT THAT ONE!! … the other one LOL) and took out the remaining zombies. With a silencer on it ...the 9 mm was pretty quiet.

"Nice work" I heard someone say … I think it was Cramer, but was not sure. Cramer was off already checking out the back area. I kept exploring the rest of the store but moved towards the front entrance. There were steaks of blood and grim and the smell was horrible but I did not find too much of interest. I went to the cashier booths and found them broken open. Someone had stolen the money out of them. It was just weird! There was more dried blood on the floor but no signs of any bodies. I grabbed more toothpaste and other items we needed and headed for the APC.

I handed the 9 mm back to Cramer and smiled "Nice gun"

He smiled back at me ...catching on to the joke "Was it big enough, honey?" He asked.

"Oh yes ... and it fired alot of rounds" I answered him. Both of us laughed at our silliness.

I notice Deacon was headed over to PeaceHealth Medical Group/Center. I thought we were going to leave him the truck … but I guess the plan changed. Cramer and Ria got in the truck and everyone else was in the APC. Derry seemed worried … but took the APC across to Crest Dr which turned into Lorane Hwy. The trip was going pretty good … except we saw more zombies and no additional people. We had been told by the internet … that only about 10% of the human population remained after the first spore release. This trip was showing me … it might be less. We continued along the highway which ran through some very beautiful farms and wooded areas. It was a pretty quiet trip after the drug store. There was one weird thing I saw and did not know what to make of it … we saw a sign along the road. It said “Come to the New Hope Church!!” the words looked normal and professionally designed and written. However under them … written in what looks like blood … were the words “Pray to God and his Zombie Army!”

I looked to SSgt Washington and she looked back at me. I joked “Southern Baptist or Pentecostal Christians?”

SSgt Washington smiled and answered “Being serious … some people believe that during … day of reckoning … the dead will rise … the resurrection of the dead and of the believers … and unbelievers will be judged and punished everlasting”

“So we are the unbelievers … and our punishment is what?” I ask her.

“God only knows” SSgt Washington said.

Derry piped up as she drove the APC “Based upon what has happened to us so far … I would guess the everlasting punishment must involve bad puns and pickles”

“THAT WAS MEAN Derry!!” I told her and everyone in the APC laughed.

As we got closer to the winery Cramer told us where the private residence gate/entrance was located. We took the APC there and truck followed close behind. Derry pulled up to the gate and stopped.

Ria

As we left the city Cramer and I relaxed somewhat. It was great to see the open country. It was what I had come for and now was the first time I got a look at it.
We chatted a bit. About Holland, about the USA, but mostly about his farm.

He was sure most of his animals were still alive since he didn't keep them locked up in a stable. I hoped they were well.

Nearing the Winery I called them and told them we were arriving.

Troy

It had taken the Knights a little longer than the two hours they had told us but we had planned on that. Stuff went to shit as soon as you made a timetable and set off especially in a place like this I would imagine. It had been bad enough when I had been in the army, I couldn't imagine what it was like now. We got the phone call that they were at the gate and I figured it would take them ten minutes to drive from there to our back gates. We had left enough parking space back there for several vehicles and then locked it up pretty tight. It would take about five minutes to open, so I sent Scott to start unlocking it. He was only to open it as they rounded the last bend at shut it up as soon as they entered. They were then to be guided around to the front leaving their vehicles behind. They could leave a guard if they wanted to but Troy had no intention of touching them at all until he knew what these people were like.

He began to listen to his walkie waiting for the signal from the lookouts that they had made it to the turn.

Ria

Coming up to a turn we saw a locked gate in front of us and a young man behind it.

As we had discussed before, Derry halted the tank and Cramer took the lead now. Nothing happened for a little while, only the young man made some strange moves with his hand. Finally I rolled my window down and leaned out off it.

"Hi, we are the Knights, we have the delivery? A lot of the things you wanted from the drugstore?" I said in a normal speaking tone of voice. There were no zombies around just now, but some had started to follow us. I hoped they would lose interest if they wouldn't hear the engines anymore and I wasn't planning on giving them new directions through shouting.

I bend down and retrieved the clear plastic box I packed at the Knight which I had stowed between my feet and one of the paper bags I had packed in the drugstore which I had placed on top of it and showed it to him.

"Some zombies have been following us, but we drove quite fast. Too fast as that they could be very close, but we would like to leave the tank and two lookouts just inside this gate in case some are persistent. If we are invited to lunch we would highly appreciate it if two of your people could relieve them in a while."

Norah

Again the strongest left. Peter and I checked all the doors. Stewart and TD stayed up the roof with silenced guns, patrolling it and watching the back especially. Thomas and Skip climbed the stairs to my workshop to watch the front.

Things were getting back to normal more or less, Edna and Mrs Ashtuli fed the ill with soup, the less ill spooned it up themselves. Still ten people were much too weak to take care of themselves, Lee among them.

Martin and Robert took care of the children, with Lola and Lulu, after breakfast they would split the children in little groups and make a serious go at collecting all the books we could use as schoolbooks, all the paper and books of general interest. I and Dan would search for books on engineering, maintenance, inventions and such. Ann and Amy would select books they liked and books they thought boys would like. Dan told them to pick every comic they would see. Every adult had to pick at least five personal favorites. That was the task for today between chores. The only ones really happy were the kids since they wouldn't have classes.

Peter would take care of the internet and print out whatever he thought worthwhile. He picked up a big stack of ledgers and some ink cartridges from one of the offices.

"Might as well use them," he said as he left me after we finished our tour, "they'll be useless soon," he sighed. I put my hand on his arm.

"I don't think so. We could use the ink in pens, or on dip-in pens, quills or what ever. I'll pack the rest."

He looked a bit astonished, then nodded, as if this possibility had escaped his mind. I supposed he just didn't look at the world with engineer's eyes.

"Why does Ria want all these books anyway? We have more important things to pack!" He then growled. Now it was my turn to look astonished.

"Peter! You are a student yourself! Books are knowledge. If the internet stops working people will need other sources of knowledge. In the longterm those books might buy us food. A potato for half an hour of study, something like that." I shrugged my shoulders. "It would be really bad if we have to scavenge a book on whatever in a year and only find mildewed or burnt ones in a bookstore. And most bookstores only have popular books. A book on engines would be difficult to find. I couldn't build one with the information an encyclopedia offers. Not without a lot of trial and error!"

"I know that, but ... Well, it just seems we could use our time for more important things!"

"With all these recovering people and fourth grade kids? They are just able to lift a book at the time! What else could they do? Carol and Scotty are the only strong ones left who don't know which book is more, or would be, more important than an other one and they are busy with packing food, Vince is looking after the animals and the garden, and that is almost too much for him. You saw how he leaned against the wall just minutes back and he was carrying only a half full watering can!" I was using my patience. Peter himself was still feeling the aftermath of Napoleon!

"I hope they have a forge at the Winery, or a place I could build one! And that is why I need a book on blacksmithing! And on weaponry, especially on arrow heads and things. And ..."

"All right!" Peter grinned and blew me a kiss. "It is alright. Really Norah. It is alright. For today. Tomorrow we'll do other things. Less chores, more packing and one of the teams needs to get us a bus. And the day after tomorrow you, Dan, and Max need to reinforce it with Scotty and Carol and me while others keep watch for us."

"We could use desktops to cover the windows!" My brain started spouting out ideas. "And ..."

"Right!" Peter grinned again, "That is something else which is really important: this afternoon people will make sure there is a stack of desktops waiting at the backdoor by tonight, because I want that bus inside the cars between the Knight and the theater."

Back