The Official Authors' Hangout Winter Hoildays 2018 Support Thread

Two of mine submitted. Let's see if I can finish a third in time...

:(
Many friends and coworkers lost their homes yesterday in a wildfire. More are evacuated, some good friends literally driving through flames to get out. One evacuee plus pet staying with us so far.
We are about a mile from the nearest mandatory evacuation area, should be safe, but making emergency meet up plans just in case.
This sucks. Puts things in perspective.

:(
Many friends and coworkers lost their homes yesterday in a wildfire. More are evacuated, some good friends literally driving through flames to get out. One evacuee plus pet staying with us so far.
We are about a mile from the nearest mandatory evacuation area, should be safe, but making emergency meet up plans just in case.
This sucks. Puts things in perspective.

Good luck and be careful.

I'm thinking about entering this one.

Go for it. I’m half way thru two. Completely different stories. One SF future history and a totally dystopian setting. The others incest plus and I going backwards and forwards between them

Go for it. I’m half way thru two. Completely different stories. One SF future history and a totally dystopian setting. The others incest plus and I going backwards and forwards between them

Mine is all fucked up. I really like it, but it's hard to categorize. It's got some reluctance from the main character who is a straight guy, but the reluctance is all about letting guys suck his cock, so it's got a lot of gay shit. If I put it in GM, there is going to be disappointment that the dude isn't more gay. My thought is to put it in noncon and ride the reluctance vibe.

It also ends with a suicide, which short of goes against the winter holiday expectations. Whatever. I will just have to see. I am still only thinking about entering so far.

I marked it up and it's a shorty, just one lit page.

Mine is all fucked up. I really like it, but it's hard to categorize. It's got some reluctance from the main character who is a straight guy, but the reluctance is all about letting guys suck his cock, so it's got a lot of gay shit. If I put it in GM, there is going to be disappointment that the dude isn't more gay. My thought is to put it in noncon and ride the reluctance vibe.

It also ends with a suicide, which short of goes against the winter holiday expectations. Whatever. I will just have to see. I am still only thinking about entering so far.

I marked it up and it's a shorty, just one lit page.

If it’s hot GM in it, it’ll probably end up in gay anyhow or you’re going to get done like a dogs dinner. I wouldn’t worry about the downer tho. My one is about as grim and down as they get and it’s that grey winter atmosphere I was going for in part. I’m not even sure I’ll leave voting on. I might just put it in and turn voting on it off. It’s a bit grim.

If I put it in GM, there is going to be disappointment that the dude isn't more gay.

I haven't gotten a vibe of criticism for a story post to GM not being gay enough as long as it did have gay activity and GM wasn't being disparaged.

I might just put it in and turn voting on it off. It’s a bit grim.

Huh. Thanks for the suggestions about the category. I'm seriously considering GM. My earlier 'huh' is about turning off voting. I didn't even know you could do that. Well, I guess I knew you could do it, but I didn't realize you could do it with a contest story. I don't think I'm going to turn voting off for my own story, but it's satisfying (somehow) to know that 1) it's possible for a contest story and 2) you're considering it. So thanks for posting!

Huh. Thanks for the suggestions about the category. I'm seriously considering GM. My earlier 'huh' is about turning off voting. I didn't even know you could do that. Well, I guess I knew you could do it, but I didn't realize you could do it with a contest story. I don't think I'm going to turn voting off for my own story, but it's satisfying (somehow) to know that 1) it's possible for a contest story and 2) you're considering it. So thanks for posting!

I've known it to be done before, but with objections from others about taking advantage of the contest perks without really being in the contest--objections I agree with. A contest is based on voting. If you take away the voting, you shouldn't be in the contest.

I haven't gotten a vibe of criticism for a story post to GM not being gay enough as long as it did have gay activity and GM wasn't being disparaged.

Good to know. I'm a little worried about 'disparaged'. The characters are young, straight hustlers. They call gay men fags and homos when they talk amongst themselves. There is also a subtext of shame and hiding around all the gay sex. It all seems accurate for the story, but I wonder if it would be perceived as disparaging? I suppose I could add a note to the front, repeating what I just wrote and disavowing as unintentional any disparagement. I'm pretty sure I've seen that before.

Thanks for weighing in. I'm seriously considering GM now instead of NC.

I've known it to be done before, but with objections from others about taking advantage of the contest perks without really being in the contest--objections I agree with. A contest is based on voting. If you take away the voting, you shouldn't be in the contest.

Now that is something I hadn’t thought of in that light. So maybe I’ll leave voting on for the contest and see how it works out. It’s going to be in SF and things seem a little more tolerant there but we’ll see.

Newbie here

I have one drafted, and will edit and post later this week. Another sounded wonderful at first, but fizzled before I knew what had hit me. Maybe it will unravel before the deadline? We'll see.

Thanks for the opportunity to write and enjoy. :heart:

I froze up a couple days ago. Now I'm on author+story forums instead of writing my tales, which just hang like neglected holiday ornaments -- un-inflated word balloons. I need air.

I'm tempted, but it would have to be something completely new because off the top of my head I don't think I have any wintery story started and shelved.

BUT I just started a new job, like went to orientation yesterday and have testing today, so not sure this will be feasible or not.
It's at a fabric/craft store (will I be bringing home any part of my paycheck :D ) and right now is their busiest time so not sure how much time off I'll have. Maybe I'll bring a notebook and pen to write down ideas on my breaks.

I got published sometime last night. This morning I have 6 votes and a very low score. Ah, well. I think it's some of my best work. :(

I got published sometime last night. This morning I have 6 votes and a very low score. Ah, well. I think it's some of my best work. :(

That’s always the way. These philistines just don’t appreciate true artistry. All they want is hot sex. Sighs audibly..... then rolls around 😆

Hot sex on a cold day. What could go wrong? :devil:
WTF! image threads on the GB provide some clues.

Meanwhile, my current partner and I managed to literally set the bed afire our first night. We got sloppy with candles. Good thing we missed the cat and had a CO2 bottle nearby. We could have burned down Santa Cruz.

If it makes you feel any better, mine also has a low rating. And I rather liked your story! Here's to writing our way. *clinks bottles

Back