Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, xelliebabex, I hope you enjoy this thread as much as I do. I missed posting yesterday due to nursing a hangover from the Halloween party I attended Saturday night, but I am back. I heard this next word frequently during the sixties and beyond, but never really knew the definition;

pinko - noun (pink 5, number 3) a person who holds advanced or moderately radical political or economic views
 
Welcome, xelliebabex, I hope you enjoy this thread as much as I do. I missed posting yesterday due to nursing a hangover from the Halloween party I attended Saturday night, but I am back. I heard this next word frequently during the sixties and beyond, but never really knew the definition;

pinko - noun (pink 5, number 3) a person who holds advanced or moderately radical political or economic views

*shaking head* What's a hangover? Never had one....EVER :D
 
dingus-

n.
a thing or gadget. : I have a little dingus that helps me clean venetian blinds.
n.
and dingy. the penis; the male thing. (Usually objectionable.) : Jimmy, shake your dingus and put it away! from dictionary.reference.com.

Also I like this word because I thought I made it up, then realized I got it from Seuss's If I Ran the Circus... it is a real word, and it also is a band name. Dingus and I go way back.
 
pinko - noun (pink 5, number 3) a person who holds advanced or moderately radical political or economic views


Not so much 'radical' as definitely 'leftist leanings'.
I got the impression that it was a not-very-nice word for someone considered to have rather more left-wing views than the observer.
It's slightly derogatory, if not actually insulting.
 
Handley, I agree completely with you. The way my Dad used it was not very nice and I always thought the term leaned heavily left, as well. Thanks.

Welcome, Storiest and thanks for sharing your favorite words.

Rj, do you mean you don't drink alcohol in excess, and, therefore never suffer the effects, or are you one of those incredible people, who can drink, but do not feel the pain that some of us endure in the name of FUN!

pink elephants - noun plural any of various hallucinations arising especially from heavy drinking or the use of narcotics

"Pink Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo has always been one of my favorite cartoon movie scenes.
 
Parallax - feel free to correct but THINK this is the perceived difference of an object seen between 2 points on parallel lines.
 
My thoughts are with our friends on the East Coast.

catastrophe - noun 1. the final event of the dramatic action especially of a tragedy 2. a momentous tragic event ranging from extreme misfourtune to utter overthrow or ruin 3. a violent and sudden change in a feature of the earth 4. utter failure: FIASCO
 
...and then there's Catastrophism. the early 19th Century theory proposed by Georges Cuvier to account for the obvious extinction and appearance of life forms without resorting to evolutionary explanations. Cuvier proposed that there had been a series of seven divine floods in which the deity got rid of species he didn't like and created new ones he preferred. The Bible, he noted, only included one of them.
 
hi

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis....claimed to be the longest word in english.
 
...and then there's Catastrophism. the early 19th Century theory proposed by Georges Cuvier to account for the obvious extinction and appearance of life forms without resorting to evolutionary explanations. Cuvier proposed that there had been a series of seven divine floods in which the deity got rid of species he didn't like and created new ones he preferred. The Bible, he noted, only included one of them.

Tio - your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.
 
Since we're breaking with the 'P' tradition momentarily couldn't resist:

floccinaucinihilipilification - estimating something as worthless
 
Thanks, everyone, for joining in. That is very interesting, Tio, and I agree with Exquisition, you are most knowledgable about many things.

Welcome, fma20fma. There are no real rules here. I am going through the dictionary backwards only because I found the Zs more interesting at the start. Anyone can post any word, anytime, for all is good here, except insulting remarks.

pindling - adj PUNY, FRAIL
 
Handley, piddling I had also heard of before, but not pindling.

Og, thanks for including the information on the River Piddle and all the names it spawned. Very interesting.

Another odd one;

pinch cock - noun a clamp used on a flexible tube to regulate the flow of a fluid through the tube
 
Welcome, GentlemanJunkie. I have never heard that one before and it is not in my dictionary. Is it regional, by chance?

I add this next one because I happen to have inherited a necklace with matching earrings, made of pinchbeck and paste anmethysts.

pinchbeck - noun [Christopher Pinchbeck +1732, watchmaker] 1. an alloy of copper and zinc used especially to imitate gold in cheap jewelry 2. something counterfeit or spurious

Nowadays, pinchbeck jewelry is no longer considered "cheap" jewelry. Although, it is never precious, it has lasted the test of time and have become collector's items.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top