Fifty-Word Romance

oggbashan

Dying Truth seeker
Joined
Jul 3, 2002
Posts
56,017
The challenge, or exercise, is to write a romantic story in exactly fifty words. There should be a premise and a conclusion. The title, which should be only a word or two, isn't part of the fifty-words.

An example from me:

Hope?

Our parents raged with hateful words. Our skins, cultures and religions were all offended by our association.

We fled the storm to marry in secret.

Now our children are spoilt with too many festivals, wrapped in grandparents' love. Together the families defy their narrow-minded neighbours.

If only it were true.


I have written two How-Tos to help with fifty-word stories:

https://www.literotica.com/s/how-to-write-a-fifty-word-story

https://www.literotica.com/s/how-to-plot-flash-fiction
 
How i met your Father

As a waitress, I turned with disgust as the big man slapped my butt
"I saw that" said the cute guy with dreads "But I wish it was me!"
"Slapping or slapped?"
He laughed,
I laughed
He came back the next day
He asked me out
I said "yes"



Nailed in words but needs ooomph - but hey i like the challenge
 
April

April found a book of Japanese haiku. She opened it, finding tiny poems about frogs, blossoms, the wind and the snow. Not once did she read what his lips tasted like, nor the taste of honey between her legs.

Then he kissed her, and touched her lips, so she knew.
 
May

May turned the page. She saw virgin white paper, crisp and new, so full of promise. The boy would sweep her away, breathless, once he came by and wrote himself down.

She couldn't wait. She began to write and oh, he was wonderful. So much easier to write him herself.
 
June

June looked up. A shadow fell across the table, darkening her page.

He smiled. His eyes were the same colour as the sky. She wondered if at night his eyes would go black, whether her tears would fall on a rainy day. After a year she found out. So sad.
 
Thank you for the above fifty word stories. My 15 x 50 set is posted in the Valentine's Contest.

They aren't as easy to write as they look when posted. Congratulations to those who have posted so far.
 
June looked up. A shadow fell across the table, darkening her page.

He smiled. His eyes were the same colour as the sky. She wondered if at night his eyes would go black, whether her tears would fall on a rainy day. After a year she found out. So sad.

I like this - it leaves you wondering what happened, but wanting to look into those eyes
 
Love it!

As a waitress, I turned with disgust as the big man slapped my butt
"I saw that" said the cute guy with dreads "But I wish it was me!"
"Slapping or slapped?"
He laughed,
I laughed
He came back the next day
He asked me out
I said "yes"



Nailed in words but needs ooomph - but hey i like the challenge


Great vignette!
I love it!! ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
 
I don't have a romantic bone in my body, so I'm going to challenge myself.

Finally, a Happy Ending

Jesse looked up from texting. His breath shuddered to a stop as Will dropped down opposite him, his eyes raw with emotion.

“I missed you too.”

Jesse swallowed hard. “Can we never do that again?”

“What, put a million miles between us?”

“Yeah.”

Will took his hand. “I promise.”
 
It Was Meant To Be

He gazed up at me with a fistful of wild flowers.

He pressed them into my hand as our eyes met.

My lips opened slightly as I pressed them into his.

We embraced, then sauntered down the hill, shot by Cupid's arrow.

We knew our love was meant to be!
 
Last edited:
I didn't want to be mean, but I needed her to end it. I treated her badly, as she deserved. Nobody is that good, that sweet. She lies when she says she loves me. How could she?

The day she looked at me with pleading, tearful eyes, I believed her.
 
Afterhours

They stared/not stared at each other across the bar, between whiskey bottles, with whiskey eyes. Maybe she flashed cleavage, perhaps he smiled back. When he looked again, she was gone. A few heartbeats later he caught the scent of perfume and the light touch of a hand on his shoulder.
 
He was homeless but he had a tent.

She wandered in. Into his tent. Into his life.

They are still together but no longer homeless.

And now they have dogs, goats and horses together.

He dreams of having children while she remakes the used wedding dress.

They belong together now.
 
It was pure Hollywood: casual lovers parting on a rain-swept train platform, amidst clouds of steam, the squeal of brakes and the clang of pistons. A last hurried kiss, then hands pressed together through glass. So they knew with certainty, but not where or when, that they would meet again.
 
His eyes caught mine as he took my hand and admired my nail polish. Silver glitter.

I felt his hair. Brown curls, softer than they looked. Soft as his brown eyes.

We melted into each other at that Costco exit.

The romance that was. Then wasn't.

Will I see him again?
 
So long ago, but I remember your windswept brown hair and big blue eyes.

That boyish grin as you said you'd like to see me in a leather jumpsuit of lipstick red.

But me, a vegetarian, could only kiss you with my lipstick red lips.

And then you moved away.
 
Last edited:
Sweethearts, he and I.

Hearts separated by the miles.

Plans we made on the sly.

Plans that made me all smiles!

He'd swoop by on his motorcycle.

We'd go south, elope.

I'd be wife to Michael.

He did not know that turn, the slope.

An angel now, my sweet Michael.
 
12 years younger, both pigs, Chinese Astrology.

Each of us thinking we had unrequited love.

Countless times we snuggled under that blanket.

Lips barely touching. Hands grazing those delicate spots.

Each of us afraid to say how we felt.

Then I announced my marriage.

You wept, because you loved me!
 
Phyllis? Oh no! He didn't want her!

Her sister caught his eye and he caught hers.

Blind date gone awry.

But she knew he was the one.

He bought her Kotex on that first date.

And soon after, she in her short white dress and he in his suit.

Rice was thrown!
 
One failed marriage but a handsome son and grandson.

He realized that men were his thing.

He fitted David for some shoes. Admired his foot. And the rest of him!

Both looked so dashing in their white suits!

A house husband now.

He glows with happiness and so does David!
 
Last edited:
He'd had too much to drink.

And he looked silly, dancing in those rubber boots.

But he captured my heart with his quirky smile and sense of humor.

Me swaying and him waddling, under the colored lights.

Les was a gardener. He said to me, "Always remember, Les is more!"
 
Invitation Accepted

They’d worked together for years. Smiles only, nothing more. He divorced, she not.

Imagine his surprise when her message popped up, “Drink tonight?”.

They bantered for hours. Then picking her segue, she leaned in with admiring assertion, “I asked you out tonight because I want to have sex with you”
 
They held hands, leaned into each other’s warmth, watched the sun set over Canadian fields of summer wheat. They said nothing, there was nothing to say. But then he couldn’t see her face, and a corporal was shaking him awake. And a sergeant said, “fix them bay’nets, we’re goin' over.”
 
At the wedding reception they danced too long, too closely and by the end of the evening, too intimately before it was too late to ask, What side of the aisle were you on? Later, after midnight, they weren’t in the mood to ask any questions except, Want to again?
 
Dark waves pounded far below the coastal watchtower we'd climbed. Our tent blew into the Pacific so we joined sleeping bags and cuddled under a restless moon-filled sky. We sang into the wind's inhuman chorus. Softly, softly -- every move and sound creates a future. We've made what we are.
 
Back
Top