Hooray for Scott Walker!

Wisconsin has a biannual budget.

Every two years since Scott Walker has become Governor, the press has breathlessly run stories of how his cutting taxes but devoting more money to things like education and transportation would lead Wisconsin to a deficit. Nevertheless, every budget under Walker has balanced and led to a surplus.

Here's a report about this I think you will all appreciate!

This is just more of the same. Again, the press claims there's going to be a deficit, then a balanced budget will pass, and in the end there will be a surplus.

If, at the end of the current budget cycle, I am wrong, I here publicly promise I will devote a thread to my shame. Please, mark that down and hold me to it.

(You see, Dan, I'm willing to stand by what I write here and accept the consequences if I'm wrong. Meanwhile, there's this.)

This is also a load. The article Dam posted is correct, it's a numbers game, and it was the same last election cycle.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...walker-says-next-state-budget-will-begin-535/

Poor Scotty's schtick didn't fly under national scrutiny.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...lker-wisconsin-budget-met-20150626-story.html

It wasn't long ago that the forecasting arm of the Wisconsin legislature was predicting that state government by mid-2015 would be flush with a surplus topping $1 billion, which Gov. Scott Walker could have showcased in his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.

Today, that projected surplus has morphed into a $2.2 billion budget deficit that Republican lawmakers are struggling to fix. Sharp divisions between Walker and legislators about how to solve the problem have complicated his plans for formally entering the already crowded field of GOP presidential hopefuls. When he does, his financial stewardship may prove more political vulnerability than bragging point.

Please tell me where the press was breathlessly running stories about Walker giving
more money to education until very recently?

ASHWAUBENON, Wis. — Gov. Scott Walker signed his first budget Sunday, a plan that plugs the state's $3 billion shortfall but also slashes funding for public schools and the University of Wisconsin System.

* slashes $250 million from the University of Wisconsin, one of the country’s great public institutions of higher education, and ensures that most K-12 school districts will get less funding than they did last year;
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...walker-cut-school-funding-more-any-governor-/

This is also a load. The article Dam posted is correct, it's a numbers game, and it was the same last election cycle.

Thanks. You'll notice that the teahadists always have trouble doing simple math.

For example, when Scott "Bald Spot" Walker took over he cut spending on schools by $800 million. His new budget calls for spending $650 million. He's got no mention of how he plans to make up the additional $150 million from his original cut.

There's also a report on the budget deficit being $1 billion.

There was also a story from yesterday about how the Foxconn deal won't make Wisconsin money for 25 years.

Louisiana has/had a similar problem.

There is a fallacy in this analysis. It is based on the assumption that Foxconn would have come to Wisconsin even without the tax incentives. As I have pointed out twice before, it's not that Wisconsin is giving $3 billion dollars to Foxconn. These are mostly tax credits and waivers on taxes we would not have collected anyway had Foxconn not come. Any economic development and resultant revenue as a result of the Foxconn deal (which includes that from the contractors who build and later service the plant) is revenue that would not have come in without the Foxconn deal, so it begins reaping benefits, including positive revenues, from the first day a shovel hits soil.

It is quite clear that Foxconn would not have come to Wisconsin but for these tax credits. Several other states bid for the plant. Apparently, Ohio offered far more than $3 billion, but Foxconn picked Wisconsin because it is a Right to Work state, and Ohio is not. Right to Work is another improvement in the Wisconsin economic climate since Walker became governor.

As the thread began: Hooray for Scott Walker!

Some of those collateral benefits are already materializing:

Foxconn wants to cultivate ties with Wisconsin ginseng growers

Please tell me where the press was breathlessly running stories about Walker giving
more money to education until very recently?

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin...walker-cut-school-funding-more-any-governor-/

In regard to budget deficits, that has long been debunked. Wisconsin goes through an odd accounting process examining the "structural deficit (or surplus)," which is a report of what would happen in the next fiscal period if no budgetary changes are made from the prior fiscal period. In other words, it is a way for the legislature to know what will happen if they don't pass a budget. It's a meaningless number if a new budget gets passed. As I pointed out above, "every budget under Walker has balanced and led to a surplus." Again, as I promised before, if, at the end of the upcoming budget cycle, this has not again occurred, I will start a post here admitting you were smarter than me on this subject.

Thanks. You'll notice that the teahadists always have trouble doing simple math.

For example, when Scott "Bald Spot" Walker took over he cut spending on schools by $800 million. His new budget calls for spending $650 million. He's got no mention of how he plans to make up the additional $150 million from his original cut.

There's also a report on the budget deficit being $1 billion.

There was also a story from yesterday about how the Foxconn deal won't make Wisconsin money for 25 years.

Louisiana has/had a similar problem.

In regard to the "numbers game" regarding the budget, see above. The actual "numbers game" has been the press inaccurately reporting as if the "structural deficit" were an actual deficit. The reality is explained above. Make sure you understand the accounting related to a subject before talking about who can do the math.

In regard to education funding in Wisconsin, you are correct that there has been some decrease for the University System. Here is why:

Outrage grows as University of Wisconsin System admits it 'did not draw attention' to cash

The University System had not spent and left "off budget" about $648 million, all while dramatically raising tuition. The general feeling throughout the state was "why give them more money when they haven't spent over a half-billion dollars of what they've gotten before."

As to K-12 public school spending, this is something I'm quite familiar with. As you know, Dan, as a second career I have started working for the Milwaukee Public Schools system.

In discussing the situation for public funding of schools, you are leaving out a very important piece: the infamous Act 10.

In the first five years since it became law, Act 10 saved Wisconsin School Districts over $5.2 billion dollars, most of those saving coming from the fact that public school employees like myself now have to cover 12% of our pension funding (which is nothing when compared to the usual 50% or more private sector employees typically contribute). When Walker's predecessor Jim Doyle was governor and driving the state toward bankruptcy, teachers were being laid off in droves so that districts could meet their diminishing budgets. Now the opposite is happening. The demand for teachers is outstripping the supply. I, for one, would rather have a job, even with slightly reduced benefits, than face the economic meltdown that was happening before Act 10.

In short, even if Walker has reduced overall funding of K-12 public education by some hundreds of millions of dollars, this has been compensated by at least an order of magnitude by the billions of dollars of savings under Act 10.

ASHWAUBENON, Wis. — Gov. Scott Walker signed his first budget Sunday, a plan that plugs the state's $3 billion shortfall but also slashes funding for public schools and the University of Wisconsin System.

I see you at least accept the truth that when he came into office, Governor Walker had to deal with a >$3 billion actual deficit (as opposed to the theoretical "Structural Deficit," which, as PC explains in the post above this one, is meaningless as long a an actual budget is passed). Let's remember where that >$3 billion actual deficit came from.

Wisconsin's prior governor, Jim Doyle, was very anti-business and his taxing and spending had Wisconsin going the way of Illinois. Even after ill-advisedly and in one case illegally raiding other funds to try to balance his budget,* Doyle left Scott Walker with a >$3 billion deficit when Walker became governor.

-----
* In the case of illegally drawing funds, Doyle took money from a trust fund established to help victims of medical malpractice (how cruel)! This money had to be paid back during the Walker Administration, which nonetheless balanced its budget (and ran a surplus) while lowering taxes.​

Of course, Jim Doyle and the legislatures that passed his red ink budgets were (say it with me)... Democrats.

As for the effect the Walker Administration has had on school funding, PC explained it better than I could.

In discussing the situation for public funding of schools, you are leaving out a very important piece: the infamous Act 10.

In the first five years since it became law, Act 10 saved Wisconsin School Districts over $5.2 billion dollars, most of those saving coming from the fact that public school employees like myself now have to cover 12% of our pension funding (which is nothing when compared to the usual 50% or more private sector employees typically contribute). When Walker's predecessor Jim Doyle was governor and driving the state toward bankruptcy, teachers were being laid off in droves so that districts could meet their diminishing budgets. Now the opposite is happening. The demand for teachers is outstripping the supply. I, for one, would rather have a job, even with slightly reduced benefits, than face the economic meltdown that was happening before Act 10.

In short, even if Walker has reduced overall funding of K-12 public education by some hundreds of millions of dollars, this has been compensated by at least an order of magnitude by the billions of dollars of savings under Act 10.

Furthermore, Wisconsin law allows the citizens of school districts who believe state caps of school budgeting to be too low have the right to increase the amount by referendum.

In other words, by some modest reforms to teachers' and school administrators' compensation (small contributions to their own retirement funds and less luxurious health insurance), and providing for more local control over budgets, the Walker administration has actually added billions of available dollars to public schools to be spent directly on students, facilities, and equipment, rather than on extravagant staff benefits.

...Walker did an end-run around a legally binding contract. In N.J. Christie pulled the same stunt. It didn't help N.J.'s budget or pension problem either.

Tell me if you'd signed a contract with your employer would you like the state legislature to start passing laws that would violate that agreement?

Dan... Oh Dan, you made a fool of yourself again:

1: The court ruling on which you base your entire argument was overturned on appeal.

2: Wisconsin has no "pension problem." Our pension is fully funded.

Do some basic fact checking next time, Dan, and MAYBE... must maybe, you won't make yourself look like as uninformed as you typically do.

:cool:

Foxconn Is for Real!

Many people have been critical of the Wisconsin Foxconn deal, claiming it was just a stunt by the company to get the Trump Administration off its back about trade imbalances, and thus stave off possible tariffs. These critics are proven wrong. It was not a stunt. It's for real.

Foxconn has settled on a location in Racine County, Wisconsin. Foxconn to locate Wisconsin plant in Mount Pleasant, Chicago Tribune (Oct. 4, 2017); Foxconn Building in Mount Pleasant, Racine County Eye (Oct. 4, 2017).

Foxconn has started a massive hiring campaign for good paying, technological, jobs:

Foxconn Technology Group executives spent most of Monday at Marquette University as part of an extensive recruitment effort aimed at hiring thousands of employees for the company's planned $10 billion Racine County manufacturing complex.... The recruitment event, called “Foxconn Day,” was the first in a series of events by the manufacturing firm at universities and technical colleges across Wisconsin.​

Foxconn Begins Recruitment of Thousands of Employees at Marquette, Wisconsin Business Journal (Oct. 10, 2017).

The Foxconn deal is an ongoing "win" for Scott Walker and the Wisconsin Republicans! More importantly, it will be a win for the thousands of people to be employed at Foxconn and countless ancillary companies because of Walker's success.

Another Walker Budget Surplus!

Remember all those predictions by the Left and the Mainstream Media that Governor Scott Walker's tax cutting would result in a huge deficit?

Well....

M. DeFour, Wisconsin ended last fiscal year with $579 million surplus, Wisconsin State Journal (Oct. 16, 2017).

This is just further proof that cutting taxes actually spurs the economy so government revenues actually rise as a result. See, generally, B. Domitrovic & L. Kudlow, John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan Proved Tax Cuts Work, Time (Sep. 29, 2016); M. Geewax, JFK's Lasting Economic Legacy: Lower Tax Rates, NPR (Nov. 14, 2013); D. Mitchell, The Historical Lessons of Lower Tax Rates, (Aug. 13, 2003).

Wasn't Wisconsin the state that ranked somewhere in the 30s on job creation last year? One of the things Walker got crushed on in primaries.

Edit:

Job-Growth-2013-16-060717-Athomas.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't Wisconsin the state that ranked somewhere in the 30s on job creation last year? One of the things Walker got crushed on in primaries.

Edit:

Job-Growth-2013-16-060717-Athomas.jpg

That has been true but, in large part, it is because we have to draw people from outside Wisconsin to work in our woolly and wintry state. Wisconsin, for the past several years, has enjoyed low unemployment compared to the rest of the country. It is currently hovering around 3.5%. (I was taught in my college economics classes that anything under 5% is essentially full employment).

Also, you have to look at the quality of jobs being produced. Wisconsin has consistently ranked extremely high in recent years in the creation of better paying, good benefits, manufacturing jobs. Wis. DWD, BLS Data: Wisconsin Ranks 1st in Midwest and 14th in Nation in Manufacturing Growth Rate Year-over-Year (Jan. 24,2017). This will only become more the case once Foxconn hits its stride. Also, remember that any jobs created by Foxconn and its ilk will have a ripple effect, as businesses and services need to expand to serve manufacturers and their employees. The factor typically used by economists is 2.25, so if Foxconn does grow to 13,000 employees, then we're looking at almost 30,000 new jobs total.

One of the biggest hurdles to even fuller employment in Wisconsin has been the endemic high unemployment in Milwaukee's inner city. This seems of little concern to the Democrats who run Milwaukee.* For instance, Milwaukee is spending over a hundred million dollars on a fashionable trolley system for the posh east side and downtown areas (even by their own figures, the city admits it will also take at least an additional one to two million dollar annual subsidy to run the thing, so that East Side yuppies can avoid paying Uber to take them to and from the various downtown pubs and sports and entertainment venues). At the same time, there is talk of cutting bus routes. These bus routes, of course, are the way the inner-city poor get to work. This will only exacerbate the Milwaukee unemployment problem!

___

* If you are a conspiracy theorist, you might think the Democrats purposefully create disincentives for the inner-city poor to get jobs. This keeps them on the dole and feeling beholden to Democrats. I don't give Milwaukee Democrats that much credit. They are simply out of touch with the needs and wants of their constituents (I do volunteer work in inner city Milwaukee, so I know that, despite the stereotype, the people there want productive employment). They honestly think building a downtown trolley will help the city more than adding bus routes from the inner city to where the jobs are on the city's outskirts. It's maddening!

___

P.S. Michigan offered 7.3 billion dollars in incentives to Foxconn, as opposed to Wisconsin's mere 3.8 billion, but Foxconn still picked our great state! (Another Scott Walker win!) This shows how great for business, and thereby creating jobs for us common folk, Wisconsin has become.

Last edited:
That has been true but, in large part, it is because we have to draw people from outside Wisconsin to work in our woolly and wintry state. Wisconsin, for the past several years, has enjoyed low unemployment compared to the rest of the country. It is currently hovering around 3.5%. (I was taught in my college economics classes that anything under 5% is essentially full employment).

Also, you have to look at the quality of jobs being produced. Wisconsin has consistently ranked extremely high in recent years in the creation of better paying, good benefits, manufacturing jobs. Wis. DWD, BLS Data: Wisconsin Ranks 1st in Midwest and 14th in Nation in Manufacturing Growth Rate Year-over-Year (Jan. 24,2017). This will only become more the case once Foxconn hits its stride. Also, remember that any jobs created by Foxconn and its ilk will have a ripple effect, as businesses and services need to expand to serve manufacturers and their employees. The factor typically used by economists is 2.25, so if Foxconn does grow to 13,000 employees, then we're looking at almost 30,000 new jobs total.

One of the biggest hurdles to even fuller employment in Wisconsin has been the endemic high unemployment in Milwaukee's inner city. This seems of little concern to the Democrats who run Milwaukee.* For instance, Milwaukee is spending over a hundred million dollars on a fashionable trolley system for the posh east side and downtown areas (even by their own figures, the city admits it will also take at least an additional one to two million dollar annual subsidy to run the thing, so that East Side yuppies can avoid paying Uber to take them to and from the various downtown pubs and sports and entertainment venues). At the same time, there is talk of cutting bus routes. These bus routes, of course, are the way the inner-city poor get to work. This will only exacerbate the Milwaukee unemployment problem!

___

* If you are a conspiracy theorist, you might think the Democrats purposefully create disincentives for the inner-city poor to get jobs. This keeps them on the dole and feeling beholden to Democrats. I don't give Milwaukee Democrats that much credit. They are simply out of touch with the needs and wants of their constituents (I do volunteer work in inner city Milwaukee, so I know that, despite the stereotype, the people there want productive employment). They honestly think building a downtown trolley will help the city more than adding bus routes from the inner city to where the jobs are on the city's outskirts. It's maddening!

___

P.S. Michigan offered 7.3 billion dollars in incentives to Foxconn, as opposed to Wisconsin's mere 3.8 billion, but Foxconn still picked our great state! (Another Scott Walker win!) This shows how great for business, and thereby creating jobs for us common folk, Wisconsin has become.
The Milwaukee comment is misguided. Unemployment isn't about just the number jobs in most cities, it's about the percentage of jobs in the hands of people commuting in from the suburbs (Manhatten was notorious for this when I lived back east, if jobs in the city were just for city dwellers than there would have been no unemployment at all). The amount of people commuting into NYC from New Jersey alone was staggering.

I just hope Foxconn keeps it's word. They're notorious for backing out of deals, and not just in Pennsylvania. Internationally. The company is a shitshow, but if they bring jobs to the US, then I'm all for it.

The Milwaukee comment is misguided. Unemployment isn't about just the number jobs in most cities, it's about the percentage of jobs in the hands of people commuting in from the suburbs (Manhatten was notorious for this when I lived back east, if jobs in the city were just for city dwellers than there would have been no unemployment at all). The amount of people commuting into NYC from New Jersey alone was staggering.

I'm afraid I do not understand your point. Other than white collar jobs, there are few good paying jobs left in the city itself. The problem is not that people commuting in our taking jobs from the urban poor. It is just the opposite. Milwaukee's high property tax rates and other anti-business policies have forced most manufacturing jobs into the suburban outskirts. People living in the poorest parts of the city cannot get to the jobs now. Rather than add bus routes out to where the jobs are, Milwaukee built an expensive downtown trolley. When pressed why, it seems the answers boil down to that trolleys are considered more hip than buses right now among urban planners. A bus would have served the same purpose as the trolley at a fraction of the expense.

That was my point. Can you elaborate more on yours. I'm not getting what you mean.

I just hope Foxconn keeps it's word. They're notorious for backing out of deals, and not just in Pennsylvania. Internationally. The company is a shitshow, but if they bring jobs to the US, then I'm all for it.

Amen to that!

It looks good so far. The contract has been approved, and they are already holding employment fairs. Naturally, the first big employment boom will come among the construction companies building the plant and surrounding infrastructure. Of course, while they have already started hiring some initial employees, it will take time to reach the 13,000 Foxconn jobs predicted, but apparently not as long as I would have expected. It will be less than a decade!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

The comments about unemployment weren't about cities or suburbs at all. They are about the entire state so, if somebody points to high unemployment in inner-city Milwaukee, and a low overall rate (such as 3.5%) it means the rates in other parts of the state are extremely low. And that's also with the high number of people moving into WI from MN and IL for, among other reasons, the good schools and the available jobs.

I'm afraid I do not understand your point. Other than white collar jobs, there are few good paying jobs left in the city itself. The problem is not that people commuting in our taking jobs from the urban poor. It is just the opposite. Milwaukee's high property tax rates and other anti-business policies have forced most manufacturing jobs into the suburban outskirts. People living in the poorest parts of the city cannot get to the jobs now. Rather than add bus routes out to where the jobs are, Milwaukee built an expensive downtown trolley. When pressed why, it seems the answers boil down to that trolleys are considered more hip than buses right now among urban planners. A bus would have served the same purpose as the trolley at a fraction of the expense.

That was my point. Can you elaborate more on yours. I'm not getting what you mean.

Amen to that!

It looks good so far. The contract has been approved, and they are already holding employment fairs. Naturally, the first big employment boom will come among the construction companies building the plant and surrounding infrastructure. Of course, while they have already started hiring some initial employees, it will take time to reach the 13,000 Foxconn jobs predicted, but apparently not as long as I would have expected. It will be less than a decade!

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I'll try and be clearer. I have the flu, and tend to ramble. I blame the Advil cold and sinus.

Unless Milwaukee is backwards in that regard. Bus routes wouldn't make much of a difference. There's not a city in America with a better public transportation infrastructure than New York City. People can get to the jobs, and that's part of the problem. It just brings more competition from out of town to take any city jobs.

White collar jobs breed blue collar jobs. My company constructs apartment communities in high barrier to entry markets, like urban areas. Apartment communities are needed because the jobs are in those urban areas. All those communities have retail space, restaurants, day care, etc, and need armies of maintenance people and technicians. There is a lot of competition for those jobs. We can pick and choose who we hire. It's s complicated process.

The problem with politicians is that they think in party lines. The right says that taxes are too high in cities, lower them and the jobs will come, and free market. The left talk about housing costs and rent control (and public transportation, ironically). They're both full of shit.

I live in one of the most expensive areas in the country. People would always talk about the California unemployment rate and blame the liberals in San Francisco. One of our properties in the bay area, a place where you pay taxes on everything, was having year over year rent increase of 15%. Why? because according to an article in the San Jose Mercury news about five years ago the unemployment rate in the bay area was already in the 5%, and we're didn't have enough housing for all the people who wanted to live here.

The last community we built I was paying $2300 per month in rent. I had a 50% discount.

Suburban manufacturing jobs are great, for people who live too far to want to go to the city. It's a game of income and mileage.

My point is, it's an oversimplification to say it's taxes and transportation that are keeping the poor from working is just as silly as saying rent control will keep rent prices down.

The truth is way more complicated than that.

As for Foxconn, I'll fling up s prayer to whatever deity you want. Lol. I'm all for jobs, assuming they pay decently. Fingers crossed.

The comments about unemployment weren't about cities or suburbs at all. They are about the entire state so, if somebody points to high unemployment in inner-city Milwaukee, and a low overall rate (such as 3.5%) it means the rates in other parts of the state are extremely low. And that's also with the high number of people moving into WI from MN and IL for, among other reasons, the good schools and the available jobs.

Not what I was taking about. See above.

The Foxconn deal is now official.

Note that the final deal includes $500,000,000.00 in liquidated damages if Foxconn now backs out. "Liquidated damages" are a common contract provision used to avoid litigation. It means rather than having to go to court to determine the innocent side's losses due to breach of contract, if there is a breach by one side, the amount it will pay in damages is set by the contract itself.

A lot of people, both here and elsewhere, not wanting to believe that Scott Walker's approach to government actually works better than those of his Democrat predecessors and neighbors, have predicted Foxconn would back out of the deal. I wonder if they will step forward now and admit they were wrong.

If not now, will they five years from now when the plant is up and running?

I cannot wait to find out.

Last night I had dinner with a friend of mine who is a dean at one of the several Technical Colleges serving southeastern Wisconsin. He has already met with Foxconn officials to try to determine how his college should adjust curriculum and programing to better ready its graduates for employment at Foxconn and what he called its "satellite industries."

Knowing my friend has the left leaning politics typical of most educators, his enthusiasm and confidence regarding Foxconn surprised me. He is more sanguine about its future than I have been. He says his college's analysis suggests that Foxconn will easily reach and surpass the 13,000 jobs predicted.

If he feels that way, my confidence on the matter has redoubled!

Wisconsin Adds 9,500 Private-Sector Jobs in October

Wisconsin added 9,500 private-sector jobs in October, dropping unemployment to 3.4 percent!

In just the past year, Wisconsin under Scott Walker has gained 32,089 total jobs, almost all of which (32,037) were in the private-sector, meaning they contribute to the tax base, not draw from revenues. These have included 5,590 jobs in construction and 3,771 in manufacturing. At least as important is that Wisconsin has experienced a 3.9 percent increase in total quarterly private sector wages! This easily outstrips current inflation, meaning real financial gains by Wisconsin workers.

Source: BLS Data: Wisconsin Adds 9,500 Private-Sector Jobs in October: Number of total nonfarm and private-sector jobs reach all-time high in October, as does total labor force, Wis DWD (Nov. 16, 2017).

Another big win for Gov. Walker and Wisconsin Republicans!

Wisconsin added 9,500 private-sector jobs in October, dropping unemployment to 3.4 percent!

In just the past year, Wisconsin under Scott Walker has gained 32,089 total jobs, almost all of which (32,037) were in the private-sector, meaning they contribute to the tax base, not draw from revenues. These have included 5,590 jobs in construction and 3,771 in manufacturing. At least as important is that Wisconsin has experienced a 3.9 percent increase in total quarterly private sector wages! This easily outstrips current inflation, meaning real financial gains by Wisconsin workers.

Source: BLS Data: Wisconsin Adds 9,500 Private-Sector Jobs in October: Number of total nonfarm and private-sector jobs reach all-time high in October, as does total labor force, Wis DWD (Nov. 16, 2017).

Another big win for Gov. Walker and Wisconsin Republicans!

And for the state of Wisconsin. :)

And for the state of Wisconsin. :)

Indeed! We citizens are the ultimate beneficiaries of Gov. Walker's policies.

I don't know if people outside Wisconsin realize this, but each time Walker has had a budget passed, the Democrats and other leftists have predicted economic ruin for the state. Those are the stories you see cited by the nay-sayers in this thread. Have you noticed that with Wisconsin's employment growing, it again having a budget surplus (as Walker has always delivered), and the Foxconn development going forward, people like dan_c00000 and Aglaopheme have suddenly gotten very quiet?

I don't know if people outside Wisconsin realize this, but each time Walker has had a budget passed, the Democrats and other leftists have predicted economic ruin for the state.

That's pretty standard for anything that isn't a (D) budget spending on (D) pet projects and special cases.

To put the above in context, which makes it all the more impressive:

Wisconsin enjoyed increases in private-sector jobs across both months, and set new records for the number of private-sector jobs in the state in September and October.

October brought 9,500 private sector jobs to the state, according to preliminary estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics....

Surrounding states didn't fare as well in October. Illinois gained 5,200 private-sector jobs, but Iowa lost 1,100, Michigan lost 500 and Minnesota lost 5,000.​

L. Speckhard Pasque, Private-sector jobs in Wisconsin hit record high for second month in a row, October preliminary estimates show, Capital Times (Nov. 24, 2017). This map summarizes that data:

attachment.php

Illinois was the only other of these states to see job growth and, given the states' relative populations, Illinois's 5,200 new jobs pale in comparison with Wisconsin's 9,500 new jobs.

In short, while the economy is improving across the country generally, Wisconsin's approach to creating a good economy, lowering taxes, balancing budgets and making regulation reasonable, is demonstrably superior, thanks to Gov. Walker and the Badger Republicans.

So you have to look at the quality of jobs being produced one day, and ignore it the next.

Back