Western Trails (closed)

Penny was afraid that the Sheriff might haul John off to jail right then and there, leaving her stranded in the middle of an unfamiliar land. She let out a quiet sigh of relief as the Sheriff said that John was in the right and then left after John promised they would be gone after some provisions. She dreaded the thought of going back out on the trail, but she knew that they had to leave.

She followed behind John as they made their way to the bar, watching as he poured two shots and placed one in front of her. She had never liked the taste of alcohol, but she needed something to allow her to relax. Bringing the glass to her lips, she took a swig and made a face as the long, slow burn made its way to her belly.
 
He watched her as she pulled the face of one unfamiliar with whiskey. He took a sip of his and placed the glass on the table. He studied his hands for a bit, "You're coping quite well. Have you seen many deaths? Or is just a life of violence which did this to you?" He looked up, meeting her eyes, "Not judging, just curious to be honest."
 
Penny looked down at the glass in her hands, rolling it between her fingers for a long moment as John asked her how she was coping so well. She let out a small sigh as she placed the glass back on the table and looked at John.

"When you've been beat on a regular basis, I guess it gives you a pretty jaded view of the world." She said softly as she lowered her guard just a little bit for the man that was standing beside her. "Nearly every day. Sometimes multiple times. Broken bones, black eyes, he'd lock me in the house so I couldn't leave. He threatened me with a gun, raped me, and threatened to slit my throat if I told anyone what was happening in his household."

She went quiet for a long moment after that, letting those words sink into John's brain. "I'm happy you shot him."
 
He rested a hand on her own, "I'm glad I killed him. Of course nobody will find his body for a long time and with it being so close to Indian territory, I doubt fingers will be pointed." He gave her hand a gentle squeeze, "I still think that you're a very strong woman, having survived that."

He took a sip of his whiskey and found that it was not the best of ideas he have had, he chuckled, "I am rather glad I kidnapped you. Thin that was one of the best decisions I have ever made."
 
"I'm glad I let you kidnap me. If I hadn't gone with you that night, I probably would be buried in the cemetery next to Seth's first wife." She murmured, squeezing his hand tightly as they looked at one another in a moment of silence. "And instead I'm here...with a wonderful man."
 
He grimaced, "A man who had to throw a guy with a salt shaker and shoot another. But I do believe that is better than being in a grave." He leaned closer, "And for my next act I'm going to feed a pretty lady." He gave her a wink, placed a gentle kiss on her brow and got up, returning with the plate of food she had prepared.

"You have to eat to keep your strength up." He quoted her and gave her a small smile, "Even though I know you don't feel up to it." He sat down and ran the back of his fingers over her cheek.
 
Penny let her eyes close as he pressed a kiss against her forehead, fussing over her as if she were the one with the life threatening injury. She wanted to protest, but she knew that wouldn't get her anywhere. He wanted to take care of her. She would let him without a word. She even managed a small smile as he placed the plate down in front of her and ran his fingers against her cheek with a smile of his own.

"It's been a long time since I've had someone in my life that wanted to take care of me." She murmured softly as she forced herself to pick up the sandwich and take a bite, chewing it thoughtfully even as it tasted like sawdust on her tongue.
 
"Well you are the kind of woman that needs to be held, cherished, protected and even fussed over every now and then." He fished another sandwich from the plate and started to eat it, "All you have to say is yes, even if the preacher say that if you've been made drunk and dragged to the church to marry this guy with guns and a threadbare hat and ask if you want to marry him, you just say yes. Would make life much easier than to argue, talk or smoke peace pipe about it."
 
"You don't have to worry about getting me drunk to get to the altar." She murmured softly, giving him a smile. "You would never have to worry about something like that. Even if people call me crazy and stop me from going, I would find a way."

She meant it too. She couldn't care what he had done in his past or that his past was coming back to haunt them...John was one of the nicest and most honorable men that she'd ever met in her life. The fact that he cherished her made her feel like this was the right decision, perhaps the first one that she'd ever made.
 
He gave her hand a pat, "At least you managed a smile, it was the best joke I could come up with though." He smiled, "It is heartening though, not having to drag you, you might end up dragging me along as I fight off all your ardent admirers." He waggled his eyebrows, "I can play the jealous man if the situation calls for it."
 
"Good. I need a good jealous man in my life to keep me on the straight and narrow." Penny said as he left her half eaten sandwich and leaned in to kiss his cheek. "As long as you don't get too jealous. I'd have to put you in your place and we both don't want that."
 
He chuckled, "I'm not the obsessive type, not when it comes to that." He finished his sandwich and drained the last of the whiskey, he wanted coffee, but knew that water would be just as good. He ran a finger along the side of her jaw, "Now you finish that sandwich while I get myself some water. Then we see that clerk about a bed and then we both go get some strength up before sunrise. It's going to be a sudden departure I fear."
 
Penny nodded, her stomach knotted again as he mentioned leaving in the morning as soon as they could. She watched as he stood to get his water, another bite taken from her food. She didn't relish being on the trail again, but it would keep John safe. That was what mattered the most to her. She needed him safe and getting healthy.
 
The impromptu meal went by with a little bit of urging from John. After Penny finished her own sandwich, they secured another room, more to the back of the Hotel. After moving their gear to the new room and leaving the handling of the dead outlaw to the mortician and his ilk, they retired to bed. At first it seemed that the long sleep before the rather rude awakening would keep them awake. But soon enough the two of them fell asleep once more, the trials of the trail still affecting them and of course the huge loss of blood that affected John.

The first cock's crow woke John, the horizon was brightening and he knew that soon enough the shops will be opening. He got up out of bed, feeling slightly better than before. He was not sure what poultice Penny had applied, but the wounds felt great to be honest. He looked down at her sleeping form and could not suppress a smile. She was not only lovely, she was perfect. He turned and used the wash basin to get ready for the day.
 
Penny slept the sleep of the exhausted. She was dead to the world as John stirred, moving around the room as he prepared to start their day. Sleep hadn't come easy to her the evening before. Every noise that sounded from the hallway had her eyes opening, watching the door with bated breath in case someone else tried to make a name for themselves by matching guns against John. She had finally managed to find sleep when he wrapped his arm around her waist, the heavy weight reassuring enough to help her drift off.

Somewhere deep in her mind, she knew that someone was staring at her while she slept. It was self preservation from her time with Seth that had kept her on her toes. She snapped awake suddenly, staring up at John with her heart hammering against her ribs in the most painful way. She panted softly, fear a tangible emotion in her eyes as she slowly willed herself to relax.
 
He had slipped back into his shirt, fastened his gunbelt and was standing next to the bed, watching Penny again when she woke with a start, stark terror written on her face and in her eyes. He didn't say anything, he just sat down next to her and took her hand in his own. He was sure that it wasn't him who brought such terror to her eyes and he could feel an anger at the person who could have done such a thing to a woman like her. But in the end it could just have been the happenings of a few hours ago which did this as well, so that would mean anger towards himself.

He watched as she recognized him and calm slowly returned to her eyes, he smiled gently and pulled her up, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tight, "It's alright, its just me. Good morning." He whispered softly in her ear.
 
The last dredges of Seth were blown from her mind as John pulled her from the mattress and held her tightly. She blew out a soft breath as she held him tightly, needing him to understand that it wasn't him that she was fearful of. There had been little sleep. Frazzled nerves as they had raced across the harsh landscape to escape her brutal husband. She had burned his body. He was nothing but a distant memory now.

"Good morning." She answered back, finally pulling back to look him in the eye. "Let me wash my face and we can get going."

Without another word, she slipped from his arms to make her way to the basin. The cool water was a shock to the system and she let out a sharp breath, looking at her pale features in the mirror. John was still watching her, his eyes on her to make sure that she was truly alright. She would be. She just needed time.
 
He was slightly worried about her, she seemed unrested and the little episode just proved that she had her own demons to face. He got up from the bed and moved over to her, he rested his hands on her shoulders and gave the golden hair a gentle kiss, then looked at her in the mirror. "I'll start packing." He turned away and started to pack their meager possessions into the saddle bags, not in much of a hurry to get it over with, giving her enough time to finish up.
 
Penny let out a soft sigh as John rested his hands on her shoulders and kissed her hair gently. It was tender enough to make her want to cry. Why hadn't John been the man she met first and fell in love with? Why had Seth been the one that had come into her life to torment her.

"Alright." She murmured softly as John mentioned that he would pack their possessions. "I'll need to stop and get a hat of my own before we get back on the trail. I can't keep wearing yours the entire time."

She was trying to make something normal out of the entire situation. Perhaps he would worry less about her that way.
 
He chuckled as he worked, sorting things into the saddle bags, "Oh? You growing tired of my old dusty hat?" He asked jokingly, picking up the hat and plopped it on to his head, "And here I thought that it had been love at first sight for you two." He gave her a wink and a smile.

OK so he was worried, but right then she didn't worry him, what did worry him was the Drumm gang. Alone he could have stayed here and taken them on and collected quite a bounty. But with Penny he had no option. He had to run. Deep inside it irked him to be forced to run, but on the one hand he was glad. It meant that Penny was right, that there was some redemption for him.

He hefted the saddlebags and waited for her.
 
"I don't mind it. I just think that we would be better if you had your hat back." She commented as he placed his hat back on her head, teasing her about it.

She did smile for him, the nightmares that plagued her forgotten as they got ready to leave. She followed him as he held the saddlebags, allowing him to lead the way to their horses and to their next destination.
 
Signing out, they went to the general store, there John refilled the saddlebags with the supplies they would need and of course got Penny a new hat and no dainty lady hat, oh no never. He got her a nice sturdy stetson hat, it would provide ample shade for her and would stand up to the demands of the trail. As the storekeeper packed the groceries into the bags, he picked up the hat and placed it on her head, giving it a rakish angle. "There you go." He gave her a grin and after paying for the groceries, they left.

At the Livery he paid for the feed and stalls and helped the man to saddle up the two horses. He helped Penny into the saddle and mounted Sudden with a bit more ease than two days before. Thanking the Liverer, he nudged Sudden forward and they were off.
 
"Do I look like a real cattle woman?" Penny teased as Dave placed the hat on her head and pushed it at a jaunty angle. "I'll have to beat it up a little bit to really fit the part."

Once the horses were sorted, they were off again, leaving the city behind them in a cloud of dust. It was another hot day, the sweat quickly collecting on her brow as they pushed on towards their new location.
 
They made good time, both horses fresh and John having gotten some rest in. The sudden flight was better than what John had hoped for when the young cow-poke had challenged him. He was worried that they would have to flee in a hail of bullets. This was almost normal. They camped near a small brook the first night, eating a hearty meal and got in some rest. The next day was even warmer with sullen thunderclouds rolling in from the East.

John steered them towards a hill clustered with boulders and like luck would have it and the signs had showed him, they managed to secure a small cave-like entrance hidden by boulders. It was big enough for the horses, but he left them tethered outside as they sat up a small camp inside, just in case it rained. A short while later they had a small fire going and they have also collected enough wood to last two days if needed. He sat down on a small rock and watched Penny as she busied herself with dinner. "I ever told you that you have a nice...posterior?"
 
Penny was working to get dinner together for the both of them as the wind picked up outside. It was threatening rain, but they were well protected by the cave system that John had found. He seemed to have a knack of spotting things on the trail that other people might have missed. Sudden stamped his feet impatiently at the mouth of the cave, telling them his displeasure of not being outside. He would have to deal with it, she thought to herself, pausing as John suddenly spoke.

She turned and looked at him with wide eyes and a small smile on her lips. "Really? You're looking at my bottom while I'm slaving to get your dinner ready?"

It had been the first time since he had recovered from his bullet wounds that he had mentioned anything remotely sexual. It made her chuckle as she turned back to the thick bean stew that she was cooking, feeling his eyes on her backside as she remained bent over the fire.
 
Back
Top