Outlaws to the End (HotCider & heartofcourage)

At the sight of Elizabeth exiting the lingerie store, a smile attempted to spread across Ian's face until he noticed the pretty, little bag in her hand. His cheeks flushed a little as a short fantasy of what could be in it flashed in his mind, but all too quickly did his face harden in a frown. Without answering Elizabeth's question, he stormed right passed her, snatching the bag from her hand and catching the shop door before it closed. He marched over to the counter, cutting the couple in line and slapped the bag down before the clerk.

"Whatever she paid for it, I want it back!" he growled.

"Hey buddy," came the gentleman he had cut. When he caught Ian's eyes, he gave him a light but forceful shove back, enough to make him stumble back as he stepped in front to pay for his girl's clothes. "How about you get to the back of the line?"

Ian's right hand balled into a tight fist. He looked about ready to sock the guy one.
 
The look on Ian's face as his gaze fell to the bag in her hands absolutely terrified Elizabeth. He was hard, a frown marring his handsome and boyish looks. She didn't even have time to say anything as he grabbed the bag from her hands, walked past her and into the store. Her stunned blue eyes followed his movements, hands shaking slightly as he marched towards the counter and started making a scene.

"Ian!" Elizabeth called, entering the store behind him as the man and woman that she had seen at the dressing room demanded that he wait his turn. "Ian, stop!"

She hurried to his side, grabbing his hand as it balled into a fist. Turning him towards her, she looked into his eyes trying to figure out just what was wrong. The woman behind the counter was watching the scene with wide eyes, glancing towards the couple who were waiting to check out. Silence seem to wrap around them as she simply stared into Ian's coffee colored gaze before she reached out to the counter and grabbed the bag which he had slammed onto the counter.

"You are such an asshole sometimes." Elizabeth whispered to him, tears starting to gather on her lashes as she turned to storm out of the store, the now rumpled bag held tightly in her hand.
 
Ian hesitated when he felt Elizabeth’s hands grasp his fist, and soon he was facing her, feeling her prying eyes as she tried to understand his situation. He slowly averted them, turning his cheek to her and answering her inquiring look with silence. When she marched over to the counter to retrieve the crumpled up bag, he heard her sharp whisper, and it stung. Elizabeth had made it out of the store before he actually found the will to move, sighing softly as he watched his actions playout through his head again. He could have handled that better. He felt the eyes of the clerk and her customers still on him and didn’t bother to turn around. He didn’t want to talk about it…He walked out of the store. He didn’t want to talk about it…he glanced over at Elizabeth, watching her still holding onto that bag like a little girl did a doll baby. He didn’t want to talk about it…rubbing the back of his neck in thought. He mused on a way for him to tell her that he was sorry without having to tread over his current situation.

“…It’s not you, all right?” He then quickly tried to change the subject before it aggravated him. “I found this nice burger place. It’s just down the street if you still wanna go.”
 
Elizabeth couldn't even look at Ian as he finally found her. She was struggling so hard not to cry, the bag gripped tightly in her arms as she looked down at the sidewalk beneath her feet. He was trying to make amends to her, asking her if she still wanted to go get a burger. She wasn't really sure that she wanted to go anywhere with him right then.

"I didn't even buy this." Elizabeth said, still not even able to look at him. "The store clerk gave it to me. She said a man like you deserves something cheerful to look at."

Elizabeth let out a deep breath, her shoulders sagging under the weight of what was hanging between them. She had spent so many days nursing him back to health and they had come a long way, but she felt so incredibly bad. She couldn't help the first tear that fell along the bridge of her nose and she angrily wiped it again. Ian Darcy didn't deserve her tears when he was being stubborn.

"Let's go get that burger." She finally said softly, finding no other way to tell him just how she really felt.
 
I didn’t even buy this…The store clerk gave it to me. She said a man like you deserves something cheerful to look at.

Ian lowered his hand from his neck and stared at Elizabeth sternly. Her voice sounded strangled with emotion. As she kept her back to him and clung to her bag, he knew that there was something that she was keeping from him. There was something that they were keeping from each other.

Let’s go get that burger.

He couldn’t eat knowing that there was something she was keeping from him and with the current walls they had constructed against each other.

“Come with me,” Ian demanded as he turned and walked down the street a few meters before turning into an alley. He checked to see if it was clear, and skimmed the trashcan lid for dirt and grime before taking a seat upon it. Resting his back comfortably against the wall, his brown eyes flicked over to Elizabeth and he asked, “What’s wrong? I’m sorry I embarrassed you back there. I didn’t really think it out. I only acted, but you have been actin’ strange lately and I really don’t get it. One moment you’re happy, and then suddenly you’re like this and it’s all my fault.”
 
"You don't trust me." Elizabeth blurted out, her cheeks growing red with that admission. "After everything that we've been through, you don't trust me."

"Dammit, Ian. I know when you're hiding things from me. You get moody and unbearable and stubborn. You were in such a rush to find that store and then you couldn't care less. How am I suppose to know what's going on in your head if you don't trust me enough to tell me?" She asked him, pain showing in her blue eyes. "Is it because I made you stay in the hospital so long? I wasn't about to lose you on that train because I couldn't give you what you needed."

"I can't help you if you push me away." She finally said as she let it all air out.

He might get angry and walk away. That was a risk she was going to have to take with him because she didn't see any other way around this situation. They had to talk, about everything, whether he liked it or not.
 
You don’t trust me.

Ian tried not to sigh in exasperation for she might have gotten the wrong idea. He let her continue as much as he wanted to interrupt her and tell her right there how wrong she was. When she was finished, he shook his head at her.

“That’s not it at all. I do trust you. In fact, the way I feel has nothing to do with trust. And there’s nothing you can do to make me feel any better about myself.”

He let out his exasperated sigh that he had been keeping held in his throat and explained, “You don’t know how much I want to give you. You deserve so much, and it bothers me that I can’t give you what I could before. I could love you the way I wanted to.”

He smiled at the memory. “We would go all night until we were both too tired to move.”

“Those past few times where I tried to make love to you and failed. It might not have meant anything to you but it meant the world to me. It’s like…I don’t got it in me anymore. At least not right now. Just thinkin’ about you gettin’ all dressed up for me. For what? So you can watch me lose my breath before we even do anythin’? This isn’t who I am. I was never this weak.”

Ian scowled at the asphalt. “So of course I’m mad…and upset. As I said it’s nothing to do with you.”
 
"Ian, do you really think that having sex with you is all that I care about?" Elizabeth asked him as she heard all of the self loathing in his voice at not being able to do what he wanted to do. "Yeah, it was wrong of me to lead you on like I did. You just got out of the hospital and it's going to take you time to get back to where you were physically. I mean, Jesus, you almost died."

She went quiet for a long moment after saying those words, all of the fear from the past few weeks bubbling forth. She had almost lost him and she had never meant to make him feel like anything less than he was. There shouldn't have been any pressure to hop in the sack immediately, but she knew that he saw that little bag in her arms as just that.

"I'm sorry, Ian." She murmured softly, unsure of what else to say to him. "If you really want me to, I'll take this back to the store and tell the lady I can't keep it."
 
…I mean, Jesus, you almost died.

Ian looked up at her and felt guilty for having made her worry so. He probably traumatized her more than the bank heist would have if he had brought her along. He rose from the trashcan and went to wrap her in his arms. He soaked in the warmth that emanated from her body and held her head against his chest.

“That was my last robbery, babe. I said I’m not gonna leave you alone even if you grow tired of me. But I love havin’ sex with you, and I know that there’s more than that between us. I want to be strong for you like I was before,” he told her as he stared thoughtfully at the brick before him. He gently stroked his fingers through her red locks and twisted her satin strands between his fingers.

He then finally decided: “Keep the bag. Let it be a motivator for me to get back to my old self so I can see it on ya. Besides, you never needed any of that frilly stuff to make my mouth drop.”

Ian glanced down at her with a smirk.
 
It felt incredible to be wrapped up in his arms again, his warmth seeping into her body as he held her tightly. She let go of the bad with her left hand, wrapping her arm around his waist to hold him tightly. That was all she really wanted. He might have needed and expected himself to be back at full health, but she only needed him no matter how he came.

Elizabeth glanced up at him as he smoothed his fingers through her red hair, that boyish grin back on his lips as he talked about keeping what she had been given. She gave him a slight smile, letting out a little sigh.

"Well, it's not really frilly." She said, thinking about the black silk that was securely wrapped inside the crinkled bag now. "But you just let me know when you're ready to see me in it. I won't put it on until you say the words."
 
“I look forward to it,” Ian said before he stepped closer to her until her back met the cool brick of the wall behind her. “If I wasn’t half the man I used to be, I’d take you in this dirty alley. Give me an appetizer before we eat some burgers.”

Ian rested his forehead against hers and took her sweet lips into his mouth. It was just one hard kiss to get his blood flowing before he turned his head and sighed as though flames were on his breath from such a spicy moment. Cupping her cheek, he gazed deep into her eyes and reminded her, “Don’t doubt me. I trust you. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be here.”

Lowering his hand, he smiled at her, picked up her bag, and handed it back to her in exchange for her hand. He led her back onto the sidewalk and guided her over to the bar. He brought her against his side when they crossed the street and when Ian returned to the Denver Den, the manager flashed him a grin.

“Well now, where’d this pretty gal come from?” he questioned.

“She was hidin’,” Ian returned playfully with a smile.

“Well come on in, friend!” exclaimed the manager enthusiastically.

As Ian walked over to the bar to get them two stools, he asked Elizabeth over his shoulder, “Well, what do you think?”

The country band on stage had the floor two-stepping. The bartender was striding up and down the bar, shaking up margaritas, while multi-tasking some wine orders. Ian got comfortable on a stool, sitting with his back to the counter as he took a moment to watch the couples dance.
 
"Well, there's something to be said for the fact that I would let you take me in this dirty alley." She murmured as he rested his forehead against hers, the cool wall behind her making her shiver slightly.

Then he was kissing her. REALLY kissing her. Elizabeth whimpered softly as their lips mashed together and she felt her toes curl as he seared her very soul with that kiss. It was amazing and perfect, she thought to herself as it ended and they were both left panting. A warm, calloused hand cupped her cheek, his eyes staring deeply into her own as he reminded her that he trusted her.

"Just don't leave me high and dry." She said as he offered her bag back to her, her hand slipping into his as he pulled her from the alley.

The street wasn't busy, but she enjoyed it when his arm wrapped around her waist. She liked being on his arm way more than she'd ever enjoyed being on Stephen's arm. Ian was genuine, lovable, stubborn, and absolutely crazy. As they stepped into the bar, the sounds of the band greeted her, the smell of the food, and the happy couples dancing on the floor completed the image of a cozy little place.

"It seems like a lively little place." She said as she took her spot on the stool, watching everything along with Ian. "You know how to dance like that?"
 
You know how to dance like that?

Ian arched a brow at her and said with a confident frown, “Are you kiddin’?”

His serious expression then faltered as amusement blossomed on his face as he uttered a hard snicker. Slapping his knee, Ian threw his head back and laughed.

“Did you forget St. Louis? I can’t dance to save my life.”

Ian Darcy’s lips then stretched with a fox-like smile as he rocked forward off the stool and started for the dance floor. He saw a drunk waving his arms and turning in a circle to simulate the dance that was going on around him and Ian locked arms with him as he began skipping around in circles like a genuine country boy. There was a large, amused grin on his face as the drunk followed suit and they began skipping in circles, switching arms every now and then. The band laughed at the scene, entertained by Ian’s antics as he then halted right before the drunk and started a paddy cake routine. He had only did it to embarrass and entertain Elizabeth as well as help her forget about the drama they had experienced. They were going to forget everything and have fun today.
 
Elizabeth tried her hardest not to laugh as Ian made the biggest fool out of himself on the dance floor. It didn't take long before she was laughing, her smile wide as he did everything in his power to make sure that the last few moments of their time together was forgotten.

She admired him for wanting to make her happy. They had ups and downs along the way, but she was still firm in her resolve to spend the rest of her life with the unpredictable Ian Darcy. He made her unbelievably happy.

"I'm about to order my burger without you." She called out, grinning at him as she mentioned the burder he had been talking about since he got out of the hospital.
 
Ian overheard Elizabeth and ran over to her like a boy summoned to dinner. Wrapping his arms around her, he embraced her firmly and pressed his lips to her cheek. When the bartender swung by to take their order, Ian simply ordered, "Give me your best burger!"

As he kept his arms wrapped about his gorgeous gal, the band finished their song and the guitarist roared with laughter.

"Where's that country boy that was dancin' 'round there?" he called over the mic.

Ian glanced over to the stage and arched a curious brow. Stepping away from Elizabeth, he walked over to the stage and approached the old, bearded gentleman who had summoned him.

"Say son, what's yer name?" he questioned.

Ian never seemed to remember the names he's used but he's gotten used to making them up on the fly.

"Isaac Johnson," he answered.

"Well now Mr. Johnson that's a pretty sophisticated name for being a southern boy. You play?"

Ian blushed softly and glanced back at Elizabeth with one of his mischievous smiles.

"I am rather partial to the banjo."

"Come on up here. Claude, give'im your banjo."

As Ian stepped up to the stage, Claude the banjo player stood from his chair and offered Ian his banjo and his seat. Ian accepted the banjo and plopped into his chair with so much lethargy that it was as though he hadn't rested in days. Setting the banjo in his lap, he grasped the neck to get a feel for the instrument that he hadn't played for some years.

It's been awhile, Ian thought as he plucked a few strings to regain his ear. He tweaked the tuner a little and then smiled over at the elder man.

"All set then?"

Ian nodded.

"Play us one of them country boy tunes! You start and I'll follow."

Ian spat a breath of air from his lips. He wasn't sure if he could remember any songs. Frowning softy in thought, Ian began absently plucking as he tried to recall a song and the elder man tried to slowly follow but he wasn't feeling it. His band gave him doubtful looks and the people were starting to clear the floor. The opportunity was beginning to look like a failed attempt at finding new talent until three notes jogged Ian's memory. He stopped playing and gave the old acoustic player an impish smirk as the man returned a dejected look.

Grasping the microphone, Ian situated it downward toward his banjo and leaned forward to speak into it, "This song goes out to the smokin' red gal at the bar for makin' me the happiest I ever been."

A few heads turned to Elizabeth as ladies and gentlemen graced her with smiles.

Sitting comfortably back in his chair, Ian wore a proud and confident smile as he rested his fingers against the strings. With the flick of his fingers, a short and abrupt melody clamored from the banjo startling the guitarist and waking up the band. Ian played the melody once more to allow the guitarist to catch on and soon the two were harmonious and improvising off each other. The dance floor was alive again. The band began to whoop and cheer enthusiastically as Ian energetically carried them through the jam.
 
Ian's enthusiasm was contagious. Elizabeth couldn't keep the smile off her lips as he came running at the mention of a burger. Warm arms wrapped around her waist and eager lips pressed against her cheek. He had a way about him that made her fall in love with him deep and fast. Why had she not found him before she ever heard of Stephen? It would have made things so much easier.

"Two burgers, please." Elizabeth echoed as Ian placed his request. "And two beers. Whatever's cheap and cold."

Ian Darcy was most definitely rubbing off on her. She turned her head to look at him with a grin as the band requested that Ian come up to the stage. She turned to look at him with a curious glance, wondering what they could possibly want with him. Of course, he gave them a fake name with surprising ease. Then he was pulled up on stage and a banjo was placed in his hands. He had never mentioned that he had known how to play anything. Come to think of it, she knew very little about Ian's life beyond what he had offered her slowly over time.

The bartender placed two beers at her elbow and she reached for one, taking a drink when Ian's voice suddenly rang out over the sound system. She looked towards the stage with startled eyes, wiping her lips with the back of her hand as all eyes turned towards her as he suddenly unleashed his hidden talent. To say she was stunned would have been an understatement. She stared at him in slack jawed wonder.
 
If Ian had actually been able to look beyond the spotlight at Elizabeth's stunned face, he would have lost all composure in a fit of laughter. She hadn't seen that coming. He smiled and focused on the melody and the intricate tunes he was improvising off of. At the conclusion of the song, the stage lit up in a ruckus of whoops, yips, and howls of excitement. The crowd responded likewise as pats were given to his shoulders by the band. Ian handed the banjo back to Claude and flexed his fingers--he thought for a second that they had gone numb. Before he could get up and return to the awestruck beauty at the bar, the old guitarist asked him some harmless and curious questions, "Well I be damned! When you came up here pluckin'em strings like a kid playin' his daddy's banjo, I thought for sure I had made a mistake. I thought my old eyes might have finally outlived their age. Who taught you how to play like that?"

The fun that had been glowing on Ian's face seemed to instantly fade on that question. It had been brief, and he forced a smile to maintain the illusion that the question hadn't bothered him.

"I taught myself. I had a lot of time on my hands as a kid. All I had was the radio and the outdoors to keep me busy and when I'd hear one of those tunes on the radio, I'd just try to play it. It's been awhile. I'm actually surprised I still got it," Ian answered.

"Well it was good havin' ya up here Mr. Johnson. Anytime you wanna come up here and play with us you are most certainly welcome!"

"Yeah, and bring your own banjo!" Claude added.

Ian and the band laughed and he shook their hands one last time before he walked back over to Elizabeth.

"Well that was exciting," said Ian with a grin. He took a seat on the stool next to her and grabbed a napkin to dab a thin sheet of perspiration from his face. "Damn that made me break a sweat."
 
Elizabeth couldn't help the smile that was on her lips as she watched people heaping praise on Ian. He was lit up like a light bulb, shining as people asked him questions. It was clear that he wasn't use to that kind of attention and he quickly grew sober as someone asked him the wrong thing. She saw it in the way that his eyes dimmed, that smile still plastered on his lips. There was no fooling her when it came to his sudden and unpredictable moods.

She was taking another drink from her beer bottle as he came to sit next to her again, wiping the sweat from his brow with a napkin. She couldn't help the smile that tipped the right side of her lips, her hand reaching out to grab the collar of his shirt. Pulling him in, she pressed her lips against his own, rewarding him for the "trick" that he'd just preformed. She didn't release him for several moments and when she did, the chuckle that left her lips showed him just how entertained she was.

"I think we might have found the hidden talent in you that can pay the bills." She murmured, sliding him his bottle of beer.
 
Ian smirked at Elizabeth when she gave him a lopsided smile. She snagged the collar of his shirt and pulled him into a sultry kiss. He always loved the feel of her soft pillowy lips.

“Mmm…” he moaned against her lips until she retracted with a giggle.

I think we might have found the hidden talent in you that can pay the bills.

Accepting his beer bottle, Ian popped the cap off by slamming it against the edge of the bar and arched a brow at her.

“What? I’m no songwriter. I can play but…” He shook his head and grinned. “I’ll get me a better job than that.”

He took a swig of his beer and right after, a waiter walked by setting down two plates with cheeseburgers and fries on them. Setting down his bottle, Ian turned his attention to his meal and said hungrily, “Oh yeah, I’ve been waitin’ for this.” He might have even had a little drool escape the corner of his mouth.

Lifting his burger, he brought it straight to his mouth and took a large bite out of it.

“Oh my god,” Ian moaned. “This is like that time where we ate those chili dogs in…I think it was when we were in St. Louis.”

Despite the burger being good, it was a little greasy hinted by the gloss it had left on Ian’s face.
 
Elizabeth grinned back at him as he swore that he would get a better job. He never had to get a job in his life if he didn't want to. As long as they were together, she didn't care what he did for a living. Bank robbing or not, she was in this for the long haul.

As soon as the food came, she knew that she had lost him. He ate as if he were starving, a grin on his face that was coated in the grease from the burger. She had to laugh, taking a bite from her own and agreeing that it was pretty delicious. He sure knew how to pick the right places.

"Well, you better not get use to it because I don't know my way around a kitchen." She told him, biting into a fry as her burger sat in the basket. "Of course, with you to experiment on, I can definitely learn the ins and outs of cooking."
 
Ian gave her a smile with cheeks full of burger, and he stammered, “I have a stomach of iron. Experiment on me all you want, baby.”

He finished his burger, sitting back in his chair as he finished off the remaining bites. All that was left was fries that he dipped into a ketchup cup and tossed into his mouth.

“I feel like I could have eaten ten more of these, but I just got out of the hospital, and I’m in no hurry to go back.”

The former bank robber cracked an amused grin at Elizabeth before he stole one of her fries.

“Well, since you wanted to stay a day here, I’m leavin’ it up to you to decide on what we’re gonna do next. Because you know what I wanna do…”

Putting the fry in his mouth, he looked away from her and muttered under his breath, I wanna catcha’ train.
 
Elizabeth leisurely ate her burger as Ian devoured his. She had to laugh as he mentioned that he could eat another ten but he didn't want to end up in the hospital again. She never wanted to see him in the hospital again either. It had been a nightmare for the both of them to say the very least. She said nothing as she handed him the unfinished half of her burger and started in on her fries.

"Well, I guess I'll have to think up something better to do than to get back on the train." Her eyes were on his own, knowing that he badly wanted to get the hell out of dodge. "I'm so tired of being in cars and trains. Can't we just enjoy one night with no obligations."

"We can get a hotel room. Something cheap but clean is fine with me. Maybe we can walk and see the sights tonight. Maybe get some ice cream. It'll be fun, Ian." Elizabeth was nearly pleading with him to give it a chance.
 
I’m so tired of being in cars and trains. Can’t we just enjoy one night with no obligations.

Ian looked at her curiously. So she was really tired of the wandering life just as he was tired of being in the hospital...

We can get a hotel room. Something cheap but clean is fine with me. Maybe we can walk and see the sights tonight. Maybe get some ice cream. It’ll be fun, Ian.

Ian stuck another fry in his mouth and munched on it thoughtfully. “My baby ain’t gettin’ nothin’ cheap…” he muttered. Reaching a hand into his pocket, he inspected the rolled bills in his pocket and knew that they couldn’t splurge too much on fancy hotels. They still had Salt Lake City and most definitely Vegas to go. Although, he was hoping to use the remains gambling. If he could make them enough cash, then right after Vegas would be the dream that they had been envisioning.

“All right; let’s go for a walk. I think I saw a park not too far from here when I was lookin’ for this burger shop. We can worry about the hotel later.”

Ian threw some quarters down for the bill and slid off his stool. Offering Elizabeth his arm, he smiled at her as he stated, “Let’s get us some fresh air.”

As they left the bar, the band waved at them both and Ian grinned and waved back. Denver so far had been a nice city. It was very bright, peaceful, and the Rocky Mountain air was refreshing. Once they were back in the sun, he pulled her closer against his side, and just walking the sidewalk with his girl made Ian feel even more content.

“Yeah, let’s just take a break for a while. There’s no hurry right?”

As they entered the park, the Rockies were in clear view. A father and his son were flying kites, kids were playing tag and rolling in the grass, a family was having a picnic, and on the walkway was a vendor selling snow cones and ice cream. Denver…Ian mused over the possibilities of this being their dream state.

“Hm…I’m starting to think instead of having burgers, we shoulda’ had a picnic. But we can do that tomorrow, how would you like that?”
 
Elizabeth gladly took his arm when he offered it, giving him a grin as she tucked her lingerie sack under her arm and let him guide her on their way. It was nice to have a fella that actually wanted to be seen out and about with her. She knew there was no other lady waiting in the wings when he tired of her. That was what she liked most about Ian Darcy. He was honest, he was kind, and he treated her like a queen.

The park was refreshing as they leisurely strolled, families tucked into the green space. Children laughed and ran, playing to their heart's content while mothers and fathers set out picnics for everyone to enjoy. It was a peaceful little scene. One that definitely appealed to her in the most basic sense of the work.

"You want to have a picnic with me tomorrow?" She asked in a slightly stunned voice, her baby blues turning up towards his own gaze. "What's the occasion?"

She laughed softly at the look in his coffee gaze. He was being romantic and sentimental. She wouldn't tell him no, she thought to herself. Never would she tell him no on anything they might discuss.

"I would love to go on a picnic with you tomorrow, Mr. Darcy." She murmured softly, a blush covering her cheeks as she did her best to bat her eyelashes at him.
 
You want to have a picnic with me tomorrow?...What’s the occasion?

Ian playfully frowned at her when she teased him.

I would love to go on a picnic with you tomorrow, Mr. Darcy.

He loved the way she called him Mr. Darcy. It always made him feel like more than just any average man—plus it was hot. Ian stopped and lowered his hands to her hips to gently turn her toward him. His brown eyes ran over her yellow sun dress before they returned to her eyes that matched the gorgeous Denver sky.

“Come here, give me a kiss,” he told her, and before he could take hold of her sweet lips, there was a loud thunk and a mild painful sensation against the side of his head. His hand went to his skull as he turned to watch the object that had hit him wobble on the ground before it was picked up between the jaws of a fat husky dog.

A man raced over to them and called, “I am so sorry! Are you all right?”

Ian was staring down at the husky that was staring up at him with its grey eyes. Its bushy tail was wagging and nostrils contracting with the soft grunts of its breath. When Ian regarded the husky’s owner, he felt suddenly on the defense. Running towards them was a man not only also wearing plaid—his shirt was forest green—but the shirt looked like it could barely hold his brawn. He was clean-shaven and his blonde hair had a shine to it that most would deem unnatural. He took a knee next to the husky and wrapped his strong arms around her, hugging her as the dog dropped the Frisbee to lick her master’s face.

Ian realized that he hadn’t even answered the man, but telling by the amount of seconds that had passed, his answer didn’t seem to matter. The man was already introducing himself and his dog.

“My name’s Tom Hickman, and this is my dog Shiva. She’s expecting,” said Tom with a bright smile.

“Hello…Tom,” Ian said slowly. The situation was a little awkward for him. It was a new experience. Never has someone annoyed him so quickly. That had to be a record, and he didn’t even bother to give the man his name. He was hoping that he would grow bored and walk away.

He happily continued, “Gorgeous day isn’t it? By the way, I’m really sorry about the Frisbee. I hope you aren’t hurt.”

Ian narrowed his eyes. “I feel fine, but maybe I should go ask my lawyer.”

Tom threw his head back as he laughed at Ian’s jest. Ian actually had been hoping to sue the guy, but he was probably dreaming too much.

“That’s great. Hey, you have an accent. Are you two not from around here?”
 
Back
Top