The Makeup Fairy Returns!

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I recently received a sample of "BB Cream, the LATEST beauty trend from ASIA"... The sample girl waxed lyrical as to how I could put it on after washing my face, and it would act as a "tinted moisturiser, sunscreen and primer all in one". Is this all it's cracked up to be? If so, what should I be looking for in a BB Cream? Are there any tricks to using it?

Thank you!

BB Baffled.

Good question. I've been wondering about them, myself.

Dear Makeup Fairy,

I recently received a sample of "BB Cream, the LATEST beauty trend from ASIA"... The sample girl waxed lyrical as to how I could put it on after washing my face, and it would act as a "tinted moisturiser, sunscreen and primer all in one". Is this all it's cracked up to be? If so, what should I be looking for in a BB Cream? Are there any tricks to using it?

Thank you!

BB Baffled.

Dear Baffled,

What a great question! There are a lot of BB creams on the market right now that make a lot of claims, so I hope I can clear up some misconceptions for you and point you in the right directions!

BB, or "Beauty (or Blemish) Balm" creams are the newest trend in cosmetics right now, but unfortunately, not all of them are worth the trouble. Some of them are merely repackaged tinted moisturizer that has been re(over)priced and re-marketed in order to capitalize on the fashion for them, but some of them can be fantastic additions to your beauty arsenal!

Depending on what skin type you have, any issues you may have (acne, redness, large pores, dryness, "mature" skin etc), there are several on the market that you might want to take a look at.

If you are relatively young and have good skin and are looking for a foundation replacement, my favorite is "L'Oreal Youth Code BB Cream":

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4480175

It illuminates the complexion beautifully and is a must for anyone with the dreaded "Winter-Dulls"!

If you've over 30, and don't have really good skin, I would suggest trying a CC (Complexion Corrector) cream instead. The one that's the most highly recommended is Olay Total Effects CC cream:

http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/total-effects/cc_cream-for-fair-skin?pid=75609190339

This contains a light foundation for coverage, vitamins for complexion correction and improvement, and moisturizers to re-balance and retain the moisture barrier.

A great surprising leader in the market is "Garnier Skin Review":

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/garnier-skin-renew-miracle-skin-perfector-beauty-balm-b.b.-cream/ID=prod6102826-product?ext=gooBeauty_PLA_Creams_ampersand_Lotions__-_Rejuvenating_prod6102826_pla&adtype={adtype}&Kpid=prod6102826&sst=7d123408-73c5-85c9-2b55-000048fa61bf

This is wonderful for people with dry skin! Some people are put off by it's faint odor but it does fade in a few minutes and it's certainly not heavy on the wallet. It's dewy finish will give your skin a satiny glow that's perfect for everyday wear!

If there's any trick to wearing it, it's this: Apply after your skin care, under your normal makeup, and don't expect any of them to provide anything more than light coverage. This is not foundation, really, so treat it more like another part of your skin care routine than a full-coverage foundation, and wear concealer in necessary spots.

Don't be afraid to try multiple products if one doesn't work out for you. Remember, each product has it's own formulation and what might work for one person might make you break out or settle into your pores in a way you don't like! You can always offer the ones that you don't like to your girlfriends to try :)

Hope you all had a happy thanksgiving, Fairy Fans! I'll be updating the blog soon for your Winter Makeup Trend Alerts soon!

Last edited:
Pink people

Greetings Makeup Fairy!

Thank you kindly for sharing your expertise! Your thread is a pleasure to read. :)

I have had some difficulty in finding a foundation that properly matches my skin tone and I was hoping that you may have some advice. My skin is pink--not only my face, but my entire body! My current (and hopefully temporary) solution is to simply not wear any foundation because it makes my face mismatch the rest of me. Do you have any tips for pink people?

Greetings Makeup Fairy!

Thank you kindly for sharing your expertise! Your thread is a pleasure to read. :)

I have had some difficulty in finding a foundation that properly matches my skin tone and I was hoping that you may have some advice. My skin is pink--not only my face, but my entire body! My current (and hopefully temporary) solution is to simply not wear any foundation because it makes my face mismatch the rest of me. Do you have any tips for pink people?

Dear PinkyPie,

Believe you me, this is one of the most common concerns for people today. Foundation is absolutely the most important step in your makeup...if it doesn't match, then the rest of the makeup can look "off", no matter how expertly applied.

I strongly recommend "Meow" Cosmetics, a mineral range that has fantastic ranges for very-pink and very-yellow makeup mavens!

http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

Check some of those color selections out. Isn't that fantastic?! Not only that, but they send you a HUGE THREE OUNCE JAR! That's enough foundation for MONTHS of perfect looking skin!

Every Fairy Fan is well aware of my obsession with mineral foundations, and it doesn't get much pinker than the shade selections in Meow's line. I hope this is just the gem you're looking for! :heart:

Makep Mavens, Fairy Fans and The Cosmetically Cluless, Rejoice!

The Makeup Fairy brings you THE comprehensive video tutorial of...

How To Wear Dark Lipstick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=hq0XHCzqpHo

I'm a fan of dark lipstick. It's not a throwaway trend, you see it almost every year in the late Autumn and Early Winter runway. Wine, plum, and burgundy shades bring life to otherwise drab winter-dulled skin, but there IS a secret to wearing them, and not letting them wear YOU!

Lisa Eldridge is possibly one of the greatest makeup artists I've ever had the pleasure of discovery, and I believe this is one of her best tutorials. I couldn't keep it to myself.

Please, enjoy Fairy Fans...and stay tuned!

Makep Mavens, Fairy Fans and The Cosmetically Cluless, Rejoice!

The Makeup Fairy brings you THE comprehensive video tutorial of...

How To Wear Dark Lipstick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=hq0XHCzqpHo

I'm a fan of dark lipstick. It's not a throwaway trend, you see it almost every year in the late Autumn and Early Winter runway. Wine, plum, and burgundy shades bring life to otherwise drab winter-dulled skin, but there IS a secret to wearing them, and not letting them wear YOU!

Lisa Eldridge is possibly one of the greatest makeup artists I've ever had the pleasure of discovery, and I believe this is one of her best tutorials. I couldn't keep it to myself.

Please, enjoy Fairy Fans...and stay tuned!

So hey, are you doing anything this weekend? I was thinking that I could take you out and play some Halo 4. It'll be the best night of your life.

I'm starting to see why people don't like you.

Yes, me asking you not to flirt with me in my thread where I'm explicitly trying to have a successful beauty blog and HELP PEOPLE is the reason you don't like me, because as a woman I'm only allowed to flirt back with you. I'm not allowed to ask you to stop, because as a female I'm not allowed to choose who I flirt with, I have to make myself available to EVERY DUDE that wants a piece of me, regardless of if it's in an appropriate place or not.

And you're single why, again?

How about you fuck right the hell off, then, you entitled, misogynistic piece of shit...and while you're gone, try and learn something about treating women like people instead of like portable penis holders.

And also, if I cared what people like you thought about me, I'd be a pretty pathetic person. As it is, I'm pretty damn awesome, so check yourself, boo-boo.

Tata. :rolleyes:

If you've answered this, I'm sorry. I wanted to ask about highlighting and contouring, and the best products to use for such. I've recently begun to experiment more with my makeup, and now that I'm getting older, I believe I would benefit from them. I just have NO clue where to start with it.

I just found the COOLEST thing!

It is a nail color selector that will help you find nail polish shades that look great with your skin tone, nail shape and length, and let you treat "problem nails" at the same time!

http://www.sallyhansen.com/products/nails/nail-selector

I ended up playing with this fun little website for nearly an hour, looking at different nail polish colors. I have a list of about a hundred now that I'd like to buy!

I thought you ladies that love nail polish might REALLY enjoy this fun tool!

Sweet! I always want to try new colors out but don't want to commit without knowing how they'd look against my skin tone and on my nails.

If you've answered this, I'm sorry. I wanted to ask about highlighting and contouring, and the best products to use for such. I've recently begun to experiment more with my makeup, and now that I'm getting older, I believe I would benefit from them. I just have NO clue where to start with it.

Dear Hungry for Highlighting,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBLHE0ME-GA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow1rdFOlxnk

This is my favorite pair of step-by-step contouring/highlighting videos out there. Enjoy!

Now, contouring is NOT for a makeup newbie! You need to learn how to pick the right shade(s) in both the contouring and highlighting colors, and you really can't blend too much when it comes to these techniques. The BEST way to get this down without scaring your neighbors is to practice for a few weeks until you get REALLY comfortable doing this and don't need to look at any guides. Once you get it down to muscle memory and you're speedy at it, then wear it out of the house, but until then, keep it on the DL until you're sure you're not walking around with big brown streaks on your face.

Or hey. DO! There's no such thing as makeup "Rules"! :D

Sweet! I always want to try new colors out but don't want to commit without knowing how they'd look against my skin tone and on my nails.

Absolutely! There's no way to tell if it'll look good on you without trying it on, and that nail color selector is a great way to not only match tones, but see how each color will look with different lengths and shapes of nails! :)

Thank you!

Another question, if you don't mind. Thought I'd ask here first.

I have combination/oily skin. My husband has fiercely dry skin. Like eczema meets psoriasis, it's terrible. My oldest daughter, fortunately, has my skin. My youngest daughter, however, has my husband's horribly dry skin.

I've tried lotions and oils to help her skin, but she often cries in pain as they sting. Currently, we're using Cetaphil to wash as well as the lotion. She's still wincing in pain.

Are there any products out there that would be safe for her to use, other than this? She's 2, if that helps. Also, I make sure she stays hydrated, drinking lots of water a day.

Thank you!

Another question, if you don't mind. Thought I'd ask here first.

I have combination/oily skin. My husband has fiercely dry skin. Like eczema meets psoriasis, it's terrible. My oldest daughter, fortunately, has my skin. My youngest daughter, however, has my husband's horribly dry skin.

I've tried lotions and oils to help her skin, but she often cries in pain as they sting. Currently, we're using Cetaphil to wash as well as the lotion. She's still wincing in pain.

Are there any products out there that would be safe for her to use, other than this? She's 2, if that helps. Also, I make sure she stays hydrated, drinking lots of water a day.

Hello again darlin', that's a hell of a problem your daughter's going through right now.

I want to let you and everyone else know that while I can give good solid advice...I am not a doctor and you should ALWAYS consult with at least one over serious medical questions!

So, because of this, I'll give you some general info, but I won't be able to diagnose or treat your daughter's skin condition, just give you some ideas about what some doctors might suggest.

Psoriasis is a serious disorder, and most doctors will prescribe topical treatments for mild-to-moderate cases, and topicals plus serious medications to suppress your immune system for "systematic" (all-over-your-body) psoriasis.

Most topical treatments include cortisone, salicylic acid, Vitamin A, or lactic acid and some doctors also do "phototherapy", which is the use of light to treat skin conditions.

Also, with excema, water will aggravate the condition, so time spent in contact with water should be as minimized as possible, so your doctor will probably advise you to keep bathing to a minimum and no swimming or playing in the rain.

I would say that if you're bathing your daughter every single day, try and avoid that if possible, because water's just going to exacerbate the dryness and pain, and when you do have to bathe her, make sure you're using a very heavy, thick cream to trap moisture into the skin (like Cetaphil's tubs of cream for "dry, sensitive skin").

Lastly, please consult a doctor or dermatologist for the best advice. They can probably help your little one a lot better than me. ;)

I hope that helped! :heart:

~~*Fairy

Hello again darlin', that's a hell of a problem your daughter's going through right now.

I want to let you and everyone else know that while I can give good solid advice...I am not a doctor and you should ALWAYS consult with at least one over serious medical questions!

So, because of this, I'll give you some general info, but I won't be able to diagnose or treat your daughter's skin condition, just give you some ideas about what some doctors might suggest.

Psoriasis is a serious disorder, and most doctors will prescribe topical treatments for mild-to-moderate cases, and topicals plus serious medications to suppress your immune system for "systematic" (all-over-your-body) psoriasis.

Most topical treatments include cortisone, salicylic acid, Vitamin A, or lactic acid and some doctors also do "phototherapy", which is the use of light to treat skin conditions.

Also, with excema, water will aggravate the condition, so time spent in contact with water should be as minimized as possible, so your doctor will probably advise you to keep bathing to a minimum and no swimming or playing in the rain.

I would say that if you're bathing your daughter every single day, try and avoid that if possible, because water's just going to exacerbate the dryness and pain, and when you do have to bathe her, make sure you're using a very heavy, thick cream to trap moisture into the skin (like Cetaphil's tubs of cream for "dry, sensitive skin").

Lastly, please consult a doctor or dermatologist for the best advice. They can probably help your little one a lot better than me. ;)

I hope that helped! :heart:

~~*Fairy

Thanks. I have asked her doctor about it, but since she does not have the bumps of eczema, or the scales of psoriasis, the doctor didn't really have any advice. I usually bathe her once every 3 days, as we generally stay home so she doesn't get dirty.

I just feel terrible, dry skin is something I've almost never had to deal with. I get dry skin sometimes, but for the most part, if I want to skip the lotion after a shower, I'm not going to be hurting later. Her poor skin turns red, and the wincing and crying are what get to me. I've considered putting an oil in her bath water to help her skin retain moisture, but I've also heard that can be counterproductive.

She has another appointment towards the end of this month, so I'll ask again and see what the doc says about anything topical. Thanks again!

ETA: Her skin is just dry, rough, and almost leathery. That's how my husband's skin was as a child. He didn't develop scales until he was older.

*snip*

ETA: Her skin is just dry, rough, and almost leathery. That's how my husband's skin was as a child. He didn't develop scales until he was older.

If she doesn't actually have psoriasis or excema, then some coconut oil in the bathwater would probably help. Test it out and see if you notice any improvement.

I also think that my recommendation of a thicker, heavier moisturizer cream instead of a lighter lotion would help retain water in her skin.

Dear PinkyPie,

Believe you me, this is one of the most common concerns for people today. Foundation is absolutely the most important step in your makeup...if it doesn't match, then the rest of the makeup can look "off", no matter how expertly applied.

I strongly recommend "Meow" Cosmetics, a mineral range that has fantastic ranges for very-pink and very-yellow makeup mavens!

http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

Check some of those color selections out. Isn't that fantastic?! Not only that, but they send you a HUGE THREE OUNCE JAR! That's enough foundation for MONTHS of perfect looking skin!

Every Fairy Fan is well aware of my obsession with mineral foundations, and it doesn't get much pinker than the shade selections in Meow's line. I hope this is just the gem you're looking for! :heart:

Oh my gods, this is perfect! Thank you, Makeup Fairy!!

Thanks. I have asked her doctor about it, but since she does not have the bumps of eczema, or the scales of psoriasis, the doctor didn't really have any advice. I usually bathe her once every 3 days, as we generally stay home so she doesn't get dirty.

I just feel terrible, dry skin is something I've almost never had to deal with. I get dry skin sometimes, but for the most part, if I want to skip the lotion after a shower, I'm not going to be hurting later. Her poor skin turns red, and the wincing and crying are what get to me. I've considered putting an oil in her bath water to help her skin retain moisture, but I've also heard that can be counterproductive.

She has another appointment towards the end of this month, so I'll ask again and see what the doc says about anything topical. Thanks again!

If her skin gets irritated, can I recommend trying Aveeno's oatmeal bath? When my skin is reactive, itchy and so forth, it helps a great deal. An Aloe based product might help with her skin, and the nice part is IME kids skin doesn't react to it, least not in my experience.

Dear Make-up Fairy,

Thank you for the post - I spent something like 2 hours YouTubing (oh Lord, that's a verb now) her videos.

I have a quick question: I have been a fan of red lipstick for nights out with the girls and fundraisers where I have to be 'seen' (my go-to look is stunning eyes and pale lips), but I'm a bit baffled with picking the right tone. Red doesn't really good on me, unfortunately.

Any tips?

:rose:

Red-less.

If her skin gets irritated, can I recommend trying Aveeno's oatmeal bath? When my skin is reactive, itchy and so forth, it helps a great deal. An Aloe based product might help with her skin, and the nice part is IME kids skin doesn't react to it, least not in my experience.

That's a good tip, one I hadn't considered. I make my own oatmeal bath, so I'll try throwing some of that in there for the next bout of dry skin.

Photograph, my daughter had bad eczesma as an infant. We tried a number of different things, and in the end the one that worked for us was Moo Goo. http://moogoo.com.au/eczema-psoriasis-balm.html

Her eczema cleared up within about 2 weeks of use daily. We also changed up her bath products, used only water for 2 out of 3 baths, and lowered the water temperature in the bath. She only gets tiny patches here and there now, and the moo goo clears it up very quickly. It's worth a shot.

It's worth trying!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into ordering something like that.

For now, we seem to have it under control though. I switched her to cetaphil soap and lotion, and I add a bit of safflower or grapeseed oil to her bathwater. I've cut down her baths to twice a week, and just do a quick wipe down in between. Also, lotion every morning, and night. She's not crying in pain anymore, and actually enjoys her little mini massage from the lotion.

Best part? My husband is now using the cetaphil lotion too, and he loves it as well. Finally, he's starting to listen to me...

That's awesome that it's under control. I had to use Cetaphil about 10 years ago, when I got some strange skin allergy on my face. It's good stuff.

I have started using it to shave my legs, instead of shaving gel. Amazingly, my legs no longer feel so itchy that I'd rather cut them off then shave again.

Dear Make-up Fairy,

Thank you for the post - I spent something like 2 hours YouTubing (oh Lord, that's a verb now) her videos.

I have a quick question: I have been a fan of red lipstick for nights out with the girls and fundraisers where I have to be 'seen' (my go-to look is stunning eyes and pale lips), but I'm a bit baffled with picking the right tone. Red doesn't really good on me, unfortunately.

Any tips?

:rose:

Red-less.

I was going to write out all the details, but I found a video tutorial for you that can explain it to you with a visual aide!

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meb9wGgEixs&list=UUFghPtzFcmyDiID1ASMA4Dg&index=9

Back