Just one Line.

With all her unanswered questions, the one thing she can agree with herself as the spark of love starts to form in her heart, is that she wishes Arianna was real and with her now.
 
"Do you remember what happened the last time you read a movie review that left out the fucking premise?"
 
Short verse from Chapter 3 of "Mr. B":

“Who's Mr. B?”, Danielle casually asked.
“It's the name she calls your Dad when she's busy showing him her underwear.”, Amy's flat voice simply stated.
“WHAT?!!” Danielle nearly choked on the sandwich. Her left fingers dropped the food to the tray like a stone, knocking over her carton of apple juice.
 
From something I've did a few years ago during Nanowrimo, and have worked on now and then since. I'll probably never finish the whole thing.

She stared at the pistol, the muzzle seemed enormous and he held it without a quiver. She tore her eyes from the gun and looked at his face. Expressionless, not red, not pale. His eyes were like ice staring at her. He had the same slight tan he had when she had followed him through three different towns. Whatever he was going to do, he had made up his mind. A part of her admired it. She recognized that she should have played her hand differently.
 
Last edited:
"Sweet Jesus! Take me up in your arms!" I cried out as David spasmed against me.
 
"As she stooped to gather up her clothing, I closed my eyes, rocked back on my heels, and thought: Thank God we never found that remote."
 
“You’ve done well so far Will but I want you where all men belong. Now get on your knees!”

From The Job Interview
 
Mindy's reply was hesitant at first, but her enthusiasm grew as she answered, "I went to the bus station. There are usually men there.” Evy turned to watch Mindy, afraid of what might come next. “There were two boys waiting for a connection. I took them to my car. They were pretty eager,” Mindy motioned to her crotch, “And now I'm kind of a mess.”
 
He looked like a policeman and he was saying something like "Hag gone! Iguana hit your mouth." It's no wonder some people are scared of policemen.
 
This thread has made me realize that I don't have that many one-liners. I have short paragraphs.

"Harlow climbed the sandstone ledge and used her hand to shield her eyes from the sun. She surveyed a vast expanse of barely vegetated rock and sand, bound only by distant blue mountains shimmering on the horizon. It wasn't noon yet, but already the heat had spawned dust devils that danced on the ground and towered into the blue sky.

"I stopped the rock drill and took my hat off to wipe away the sweat hanging on my eyebrows and on the tip of my nose, and I watched her. Dana Harlow was long and tan; she was a perfect, sinewy desert rat with sun-bleached hair that just fit into a short pony tail."
 
"Really, Justin." She peeled the banana, and shoved it in her mouth, bobbing her head as if she were blowing it. "Just like that to anyone that pays attention to her."
 
Not quite a one line, but close. From "One Night in Bangkok" (one of my current works-in-progress)

This was going to be a long flight. Honolulu to Tokyo on Japan Airlines, Tokyo to Bangkok flying Thai, Business Class all the way. It could’ve been worse.

A lot worse.

It could’ve been United.

:eek: (if you've been reading the latest public relations nightmare for our favorite airline, competing with Delta ("Didn't Ever Leave The Airport") for bad PR)
 
"And then, of course, there was the time I grew my leg back." (Idea pinched from something that happened to an acquaintance of mine.)

Or perhaps:

"I cut off that line of thought before it went any further. Even cricket had failed me. So I spent another twenty minutes just lying there, trying not to think about the woman I was holding, before I gave in and tried for a quick solitary single."
 
Last edited:
This thread has made me realize that I don't have that many one-liners. I have short paragraphs.

I actually have short sentences and a lot of dialog.

This the second half of a chapter...
Explorer was still trying to regain control when Anna woke up. Looking around through squinted eyes, Anna grabbed for the control yoke, pulling back hard, also pushing the sub-light throttle full forward. The ship lurched, up and away from the debris field.

"What the hell was that?" Anna shouted.

"The explosion was typical of Gar munitions. A subspace mine I believe," the AI responded.

"Mine? Why would they put mines way the hell out here and why haven't others run into them?"

"It would appear they are only activated when a ship is in normal space. My data show no ship having ever come through this sector in normal space."

"All stop. Get us stopped. Dead in space," Anna shouted.

The AI halted the forward motion of the ship. Anna bent over her keyboard. Soon the screens showed the mines in her vicinity.

"Holy shit!" Anna croaked. "Map the minefield, Buster."

"Aye, aye Captain." Anna smiled every time the AI said that.

Her screens started to fill with small red dots. Mines. She was surrounded by them. They were in front of her, in back of her, below her and above her. She was trapped.

"Three Gar ships have broken off and are headed back this way," Buster informed her.

"What will happen if we drop into hyperspace?" Anna asked.

"Unknown."

"Setup a jump straight up, half a light year."

"Course laid in," Buster replied.

"Jump."

Explorer was half a light year above the minefield. Anna could see the four mines that had been closest to her exploding. She could also see the three Gar ships increase speed toward the minefield. As they arrived, she watched them deactivate the mines.

"How are they doing that?" Anna asked idly.

"They are using short bursts of a very high radio frequency. It appears to be fusing the triggers. Recording."

"Thank you, Buster."

Anna remained in the area, watching. When the Gar turned and left, only then did she turn her ship and head back to the Donegal and repairs.
 
The seaside tide pounded a pile of seaweed and busted up a group of cormorants and seagulls in the midst of discussing whatever cormorants and seagulls are prone to discuss over a small pile of seaweed.
 
Ooh, great thread. Here's one:

"Zoe‘s mother had left to go to a grown-up costume party, and as soon as her car pulled away the girls crept down to the basement, where Zoe had laid out everything they’d need: the black candle, the knife, the bell, the blood, and the special book."

-Upcoming Halloween story
 
The seaside tide pounded a pile of seaweed and busted up a group of cormorants and seagulls in the midst of discussing whatever cormorants and seagulls are prone to discuss over a small pile of seaweed.

I like that image!
 
Last edited:
Clicks, bumps, whirring sounds, loud clunks, and kerchunks echo through the passageways as the waking of some great, huge beast, continues.
 
Back
Top