I need an editor to check punctuation

Drivin

Virgin
Joined
Apr 2, 2014
Posts
6
Hi, my first post, my first story. I submitted my story, which was rejected due to not having the punctuation correct, especially with the dialog. I kind of knew that, even tho I searched and read and tried to type it out correctly.

I have gone over my story over 10 times. Fixing everything, then doubted myself again, went through after reading some more web sites, and changed things twice now.

I really want to make sure it is ok, instead of trying to submit it again. Once I have learned the correct way, I will be fine from here on out.

My story is romance, consensual. A couple meets and falls in love. I have written the whole story line out, and decided it needed to be cut into parts. So part 1 is ready for a proof read.

Is any one willing? The length of it is 3 pages of what literotica stories are, once they are posted.

I went through the proper, find an editor page twice now, and I do not think it works. Or that editor is not around? I have no idea.

So Thank you for any help, much apprieciated~
Drivin
 
Perhaps I should explain more?

I believe the mistakes I made with the punctuation, was either I put quotations around the characters thoughts, and I put in too many spaces. The sites I have read to find my answer, did not address my confusion on the right way.

Maybe this will help who reads this to understand me?

Example: My first submission I had the dialog like this,

" I like to eat chocolate," she said, " but it makes me break out. "

See the extra space in between the quotations and the letter? I went back and fixed it to this,

"I like to eat chocolate,"she said,"but it makes me break out."

Now I have no spaces. I decided to try to learn this from various web sites.

Decided that I believe this is correct,

"I like to eat chocolate," she said, "but it makes me break out."

Then reading the post here about punctuating thoughts, I had all of mine in quotations. And thought maybe that is why my story was refused.

The reason given for my rejection was: read how to make the characters talk.

I did, I have and I fixed the thoughts now with no quotations, no italics. < due to the word processor I use does not give me italic choice.

thanks again
Drivin
 
Looks like you've got a good start on revisions. I would be interested as I like the category, but I have three current projects with more on the way, and work has been really busy. I wouldn't be surprised that you soon find an editor. Sometimes it takes a while to get a response. If you haven't clarified the word count on your stories, it would be a good thing to do. I'm brain dead from work and don't remember if you mentioned word count ::eek:
 
word count is

The word count is 10765

I have no idea where it ranks as far as normal or a whole lot. This is part one. For I didn't want tobore the reader by dragging it on and on. It will be 2 or 3 parts written so far but the other parts, are still in rough draft.

Thanks for your reply LadyVer.

I am female and been married a longggggg time to same man. In case that matters here. lol
 
* Please ensure you have switched on your Private Messages. Go to User CP (top left of this page), click on Edit Options (in the left hand column), and then tick Enable Private Messaging in the second box down. Make sure that the next box down (Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators) is NOT ticked. Finally click Save Changes at the bottom of that page

I may be able to help but need to PM you to discuss further and you don't have it turned on.

Todger65
 
You're welcome, and good luck. Don't think marital status or gender matters, but it's always nice to know a bit about writers. And I appreciate more women biting the bullet and writing erotica. I'd like to eventually edit for more women writers, but my plate is full. My category preferences are limited to M-F consensual so that helps in keeping editing requests down. Well, that, and I still have my VE profile turned off.
 
I may be able to help. Enable PMs and we'll talk. Don't hesitate to PM me.
 
OOps sorry about that Todger. I have it open now. I do have someone helping me. But if you are still interested, I will listen. I need all the opinions I can get.

I do have some studying to do before I have my story in the shape it needs to be in.




* Please ensure you have switched on your Private Messages. Go to User CP (top left of this page), click on Edit Options (in the left hand column), and then tick Enable Private Messaging in the second box down. Make sure that the next box down (Receive Private Messages only from Buddies and Moderators) is NOT ticked. Finally click Save Changes at the bottom of that page

I may be able to help but need to PM you to discuss further and you don't have it turned on.

Todger65
 
Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to ask for more than one editor. There will be inevitable contradictions on how to fix something and if you try to follow both, chaos reigns.

It sounds good in theory to get as many eyes looking at a work to ensure it looks good, but in practice, I don't think so..

Note: having one look at grammar while another looks at plot holes is not what I'm saying.
 
Alright then, I was just being polite to not ignore someone who offered to help.

I do have help now, thank you everyone very much for replying with offers and advise.

so consider this thread as closed.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top