Has anyone been the QM of a quest-style roleplay?

sunandshadow

Cocksnail!
Joined
Jan 1, 1970
Posts
3,863
A quest-style roleplay is basically an interactive story, not a lot different from asking for reader suggestions at the end of each chapter of a normal online story. So that's why I'm asking here in the writing forum. I've been trying to make up an original story/characters/setting for one of these quest roleplays and it seems quite difficult, so I wanted to ask someone experienced with them for help.
 
I've been a dungeon master for realms that were prewritten and also written my own campaign worlds. It does take some fiddling in the beginning but only because you want to craft leads in the future. Build your tale around a male protagonist or a female if you think you would rather, but that can get tricky. You want a protagonist that is someone readers can relate to. You wouldn't want Spock and Scotty going into the finer details about technology, or some timid shy comic book collector. Someone with just a pound courage and an ounce of salt, that still knows how to be polite to the ladies. Think Kevin Bacon, not Samuel L. Jackson.

You don't have to spend pages or even paragraphs going into a long and boring overview about your setting. Just kick off the story centered on your protagonist and something your readers are coming to Lit to find .. sex. Make it sweet, leave room for improvement. One or two characters with good chemistry can pick up allies along the way as they work on their quest. Initially their quest could be to defeat some distant foe or rescue someone, use your imagination but make it relatable. If they have to steal a gem from a sorcerer in order to awaken a fairy dragon, it's kinda nonsense, you want to stick to killing bad guys until your characters have done enough exploring to make complex quest ideas make more sense.

Set up a quest where when they win, they get rich. That type of story works well in erotic fiction. With the spoils of victory, our protagonist seeks to better protect his companions and maybe have a ship of some sort for traveling about, doing more quests. Every Final Fantasy eventually gets a flying ship, Beowulf had a ship, you my friend, need a ship. This will help you let them meet new foes, pirates, etc. More heroics, and a base of operations. Let the ship get upgrades. Let your fans chime in. It might go great! At the end of a quest, I always asked my players to discuss what their characters were planning to do now that the quest is complete. Sometimes they had these chats in character. This is where that strong leader-type protagonist comes in. It helps the reader understand the party dynamic easily, or unite them when different characters are pulling in different directions. In the beginning, there's no rush. You can have the companions go to the leader and tell their sob story and the leader will say when or whether they can help.

Mysteries about the characters or tragic pasts about the new companions can always lead to more adventures. When the plot gets heavy, you can go several chapters without sex. Lots of ideas.
 
Back
Top