does voice matter?

Primalex, exactly, this is the challenge we face. There is something unique about being surrounded by voices, listening to answers, and chiming in. But trying to explain it is like describing the taste of wine. I can use a million words, but the only way to know the taste of wine is to take a sip. There is emotion in voice that cannot be transmitted through text and photos. It is clear that I am not good at communicating the experience, I'm going to think more about this. Thank you for your thoughts and view point.

:
tom

I don't get it.

It's not like you have to send a picture, just because it's possible to.

More users compared to what?

According to this logic, this forum would have more users if we disallow attachments, because some people don't like pictures. This does not make sense. I could also argue that this forum would have more users if we disallow text, because there are people out there who don't like to write or read and prefer pictures.

:rolleyes:

What does a voice say about personality? :confused:

No offense, but the only statement that can be made about a 'voice-only' app and it's userbase is that it's used by people who don't want to do anything else besides voice.

There is emotion in voice that cannot be transmitted through text and photos.

This is not the point. The point is, why can a voice-only app transmit voice-emotions better than a voice+text app?

Primalex, what is an example of a voice+text app that i can use to meet new people that share my interest? whatsapp, for facebook messenger? those apps help me connect better with the folks i already know, but they are not designed to help me meet people i would ordinarily never get a chance to meet (which is the magic of literotica, but literotica does not work well with voice like mobile apps).

:
tom

This is not the point. The point is, why can a voice-only app transmit voice-emotions better than a voice+text app?

May I chime in again?

Voice, just like physical appearance, can be a deal-breaker for me. Most of my interactions are on platforms such as this. Then through other apps I am hopefully able to deepen the connection through voice calls and eventually video chat. I feel (which may be completely useless information) that it can really turn the tables as far as attraction is concerned. If I am connecting with someone in a text format such as this one and I finally get to hear them AND the tenor and tone of their voice is on that shakes me to my core, I am more willing to wholly let myself go and give myself to them. That said, if we have a great text connection, but his voice is in the wrong octave, then I am forced to bow out as gracefully as I am able.

It's something oddly important to me. I am sure there is some "-phelia" associated with that.

This is only tangentially related, but since I have nothing of substance to add to the app conversation, I would just add that, with voices, what you think you're getting might not be all you're getting.

I have two voices: my I'm-buying-Coke-Zero now, where-the-fuck-did-I-park, occasionally-amusing-and-sometimes-vaguely-anxious normal guy voice. And my fuck-yes-I-am-aroused-now-do-what-I-say voice, that drops through the floor and starts growling and gritting out some kind of thing-talk. I don't know it's happening. You would never, ever know they were the same person.

I've noticed with some people that submissive arousal produces an inverse change. I'm certain others have experienced this. Maybe some people start speaking in tongues or in Esperanto.

those apps help me connect better with the folks i already know, but they are not designed to help me meet people i would ordinarily never get a chance to meet

This has what to do with the (dis)advantages of limiting options?

So your app is not about banning pictures, but about connecting with people you wouldn't meet without the app...? So you have the voice-version of Tinder.

Sorry, what was your question?

Edit:

Ah, found it:
we are trying to understand if there is a need in the bdsm community for a better way to meet.

Public transport that is actually on schedule would be awesome.

Last edited:
MeekMe, maybe, but i have heard people on the app say they are not comfortable speaking in groups, but can't stop speaking on Vorail. i have experienced the same. i get to Vorail and their are many questions i want to chime in on, i feel the urge to speak, but on dates (after the first one), i cannot figure out what to say.

in terms of real communications, what's better than hearing questions that make you think deep, and hearing how different folks answer differently. the objective of 20 questions is to guess the magic thing, but the object of hearing and answering questions about life is to better understand our life.

yes, absolutely, i think a site/service needs to cater to the women. there is an over abundance of men online. much more rare to find a social place online that is majority women.

Plenty of apps cater to women. But dating apps/sites are the same across the board. Majority are men and the few women looking are frustrated by the low quality dudebros looking for NSA. I guess this app could help weed out people in that way, but it's still lacking the ease of text/picture/video communication. And of course once there's even a hint of "connection" there will be pressure to move to other platforms.

Why would I download this app just to download another app when this one no longer fits my needs? Wasted space for me.

the part in your message about backfiring is a big question for me. i look at photos as much or more than others, but does that give me best chance for healthy outcome. suppose we could have a 'trophy' spouse, would we want it? what if i talk with ten thousand people for ten thousand hours (extreme example), and at the end, there is one person that made my day in every way. everything i got to learn about this person, i liked. then we meet, the person looks are the opposite of what attracts me. will it be like you said, i am hard wired for a certain look, and those ten thousand hours are gone? or will being attracted to the person's personality, what's on the inside, be enough to make the photo/outside less important. i do not know, i'm not near my ten thousand hours yet.

I just read about an example of this. A submissive woman found a dude to dominate her. She says he's fantastic, the best she has ever had. It's all online communication at first and it's great, she's head over heels. They meet, she is not attracted to him at all. She agrees to sex and as long as she closes her eyes she doesn't get turned off. Now she's trying to figure out if she should stay or go because he's just fugly or something. :rolleyes: She really got to know his personality, but in the end he dried her pussy up like a desert. She fucked him in an attempt to be nice or something.

I just wanted to say that as that's all this app makes me think about at the moment. I'm pretty sure she's moving on to someone else.

This is only tangentially related, but since I have nothing of substance to add to the app conversation, I would just add that, with voices, what you think you're getting might not be all you're getting.

I have two voices: my I'm-buying-Coke-Zero now, where-the-fuck-did-I-park, occasionally-amusing-and-sometimes-vaguely-anxious normal guy voice. And my fuck-yes-I-am-aroused-now-do-what-I-say voice, that drops through the floor and starts growling and gritting out some kind of thing-talk. I don't know it's happening. You would never, ever know they were the same person.

I've noticed with some people that submissive arousal produces an inverse change. I'm certain others have experienced this. Maybe some people start speaking in tongues or in Esperanto.

Um...i would be particularly interested in hearing both of those versions. You know, for science. :eek:

Plenty of apps cater to women. But dating apps/sites are the same across the board. Majority are men and the few women looking are frustrated by the low quality dudebros looking for NSA. I guess this app could help weed out people in that way, but it's still lacking the ease of text/picture/video communication. And of course once there's even a hint of "connection" there will be pressure to move to other platforms.

Why would I download this app just to download another app when this one no longer fits my needs? Wasted space for me.

I just read about an example of this. A submissive woman found a dude to dominate her. She says he's fantastic, the best she has ever had. It's all online communication at first and it's great, she's head over heels. They meet, she is not attracted to him at all. She agrees to sex and as long as she closes her eyes she doesn't get turned off. Now she's trying to figure out if she should stay or go because he's just fugly or something. :rolleyes: She really got to know his personality, but in the end he dried her pussy up like a desert. She fucked him in an attempt to be nice or something.

I just wanted to say that as that's all this app makes me think about at the moment. I'm pretty sure she's moving on to someone else.

your example is a big fear of mine. That I'll be come attached to someone and then they see my picture and I'm not what they want. I would much rather send an innocent face shot or something not too revealing initially just to make sure I'm their type before investing time and emotion

Um...i would be particularly interested in hearing both of those versions. You know, for science. :eek:

What I've always liked about you is your commitment to humanity.

I'm not so sure you are. A very nice person told today I have a voice that might read a story on "This American Life." So I'm thinking ironic non-specific neurotic blandness. That would be the voice that does not sound like an Orc trying to impregnate a rabid werewolf.

Last edited:
What I've always liked about you is your commitment to humanity.

I'm not so sure you are. A very nice person told today I have a voice that might read a story on "This American Life." So I'm thinking ironic non-specific neurotic blandness. That would be the voice that does not sound like an Orc trying to impregnate a rabid werewolf.

Bland or not I'm sure you're still worth a listen.

And I had to laugh out loud at that.

If I want to punch you in the throat every time you open your mouth to speak to me we're probably not going to have a relationship.

May I chime in again?

Voice, just like physical appearance, can be a deal-breaker for me.
-snip-
but his voice is in the wrong octave, then I am forced to bow out as gracefully as I am able.

It's something oddly important to me. I am sure there is some "-phelia" associated with that.
My voice is more suited to reading Star Wars trivia and DMing Dungeons and Dragons, so I guess I'm destined to die alone.

Not quite bestowed with the voice of Robot Chicken's nerd, but close enough. :(

*sarcasm*

Last edited:
Voice matters a great deal to me since I use mine professionally. To the point, I don't even want to know what another voice might sound like because I don't want to be dissappointed. Also, I don't want my kids or husband hearing.

I am curious to listen to your "I'm-buying-Coke-Zero now, where-the-fuck-did-I-park" everyday voice since there is no way I am getting the second one. :D

I think voice is important because it can convey so much more than the actual words in most cases. I have a hard time expressing myself through written words in most cases and end up sounding abrupt and kind of robotic.

I'm also pretty sarcastic and that is hard to convey through written word and usually end up sounding really bitchy to people who do not know me personally.

I for one love the idea of a voice based dating app, but I have to agree with almost everyone else, photos are also important.

How someone talks is night and day as to whether I like them. All that confidence, shyness, humour, excitement, etc. emotions come through in voice. Text is great for loosely gauging intellect, creativity, common interests, and humour ... but it's also carefully considered and measured. Voice is just much more human. When I've been internet dating and it's moved onto whatsapp, I'm quite quick to start sending voice messages. The difference that makes in connection is huge.

But having said all that, while I would describe myself as sapiosexual and my head is easily turned by a warm and witty personality, I still need to physically fancy them. So, I'd never use a dating app where I couldn't see a photo or two, not only for my benefit in knowing I fancy them, but like Cakecups said , I don't want to be rejected at the last hurdle.

Last edited:
Eugenics

I for one love the idea of a voice based dating app, but I have to agree with almost everyone else, photos are also important.

How someone talks is night and day as to whether I like them. All that confidence, shyness, humour, excitement, etc. emotions come through in voice. Text is great for loosely gauging intellect, creativity, common interests, and humour ... but it's also carefully considered and measured. Voice is just much more human. When I've been internet dating and it's moved onto whatsapp, I'm quite quick to start sending voice messages. The difference that makes in connection is huge.

But having said all that, while I would describe myself as sapiosexual and my head is easily turned by a warm and witty personality, I still need to physically fancy them. So, I'd never use a dating app where I couldn't see a photo or two, not only for my benefit in knowing I fancy them, but like Cakecups said , I don't want to be rejected at the last hurdle.

I somehow agree. It might be harsh, but looks do matter (you cannot judge someone based solely on appearance that's for sure) but nature takes the lead and somehow it guides you to choosing your mate. It's called symmetry variation in mate choice.
It makes sense "If you choose a perfectly symmetrical partner and reproduce with them, your offspring will have a better chance of being symmetric and able to deal with perturbations."

I don't think it's so unique to bdsm even.

I was aware my speech was more 'oration' when I spoke publically. I quite enjoy such experience, but I think that the separation of so much 'self' in voice might give a less human experience ( though, I wonder if the recipients are aware if there is humour and connection) but a stronger one, less vulnerable to nerves.

I also regret that quite often I have to yell at my terrier :(. In a voice that doesn't feel like 'every day me' but must be some fishwife outing 'oi, little guy, attenzione!, andiamo, in the house!'

On say something thread we have spoken of the different timbre in different languages by the same person. I know my voice is a fraction higher when nervous ( as is typical) or when I find the want for G to 'baby' me, but I would recoil at a baby voice. I expect I have used this higher register with other lovers, maybe even friends. Not least because in my youth I often was the youngest in a group, and it probably made sense, socially and not consciously,and as I get to know myself better, for my personality, to 'orally apply for protection'.

I think you're right. I never really thought about it before. I heard an NPR story the day of the first US presidential debate wherein a female debate coach talked about how her voice dropped a couple of octaves, or olives, or octopi, or something, when she stood up at the debate lectern. She wasn't consciously doing it; it was an authoritative projection. I suspect there is a body of research there that I will now ignore and not bother to even google.

I am curious to listen to your "I'm-buying-Coke-Zero now, where-the-fuck-did-I-park" everyday voice since there is no way I am getting the second one. :D

🌹

No, seriously, y'all. Just go to the dog-food aisle or the rooftop of Whole Foods after another starfruit "accident" again ended tragically.

That's me, muttering and swigging from a three-walled insulated tumbler.

Nothing to see here, and get that Indonesian fruit expert at Gotham U on the phone again.

I think you're right. I never really thought about it before. I heard an NPR story the day of the first US presidential debate wherein a female debate coach talked about how her voice dropped a couple of octaves, or olives, or octopi, or something, when she stood up at the debate lectern. She wasn't consciously doing it; it was an authoritative projection. I suspect there is a body of research there that I will now ignore and not bother to even google.

🌹

No, seriously, y'all. Just go to the dog-food aisle or the rooftop of Whole Foods after another starfruit "accident" again ended tragically.

Nothing to see here, and get that Indonesian fruit expert at Gotham U on the phone again.

There are a few voice threads around that you could leave a recording on, just to give us an idea of the 'where did I park my car' voice. ;):D

🌹

There are a few voice threads around that you could leave a recording on, just to give us an idea of the 'where did I park my car' voice. ;):D
The people have spoken. Just do it Green!
"Roma locuta; causa finita est"

I am late to the party here, but can I put in a pitch for OMG I want to hear both of these voices please DGE? maybe you could just do a dramatic reading???
ppppplllllleeeeeaaassssseeeeee????????

I know that I have at least 4 voices. My regular conversational voice which I am told sounds middle america - not strongly accented (though I am a bit of a sponge, in that I will start to talk like those around me when I am around folks with strong regional accents - I do this subconsciously)...and with a rather large vocabulary that conveys a level of education.
I have what the people I work with call my "gravitas voice" - I especially use this on the phone, but can use this voice in person too, when I am bringing all of my professional expertise to bear and it conveys a sense of suffering no fools and I have been known to have scare the begeesus out of people with this voice.
I have the voice I use to talk to my dog - which is not too far from the one I use to talk to very small children. It is not a goofy baby voice, but it is a voice of handling those that are not adults.
And I have my sexy submissive voice... the one I use with my lover....when I am not in control. It certainly has a totally different quality than the others. And has nothing to do with the voice that seeks directions at the gas station or gives a patient bad news.

Back