Alright then. No more lurking!

One of those "5"s on your first poem was from me; I quite enjoyed it, Firebrain, and I hope you continue posting your work!

Hm, time to go see if I qualify for an avatar yet, I think.

I had wondered about that, but don't have one now, anyway.
50 makes you 'experienced'
100 'really experienced'
and don't know beyond that.

The conversation in the "What beat the poetry forum into the ground?" thread convinced me to create this one.

Hello, poets and perverts!

I'm one of the (many, no doubt) lurkers on these forums. I've been on Literotica since 2005; I posted under a different name that had been created for collaborative works with my partner, which lasted about a year. Never used the forums-- I don't recall that I even glanced at them, then-- and took a long, long break from the site when I stopped writing naughty works. Now I'm back with my own name. So I too am clueless so far as in-jokes and all of this talk about a board schism. There do seem to be a number of friendly and talented posters here, which is why I've finally decided to show myself.

I've posted a couple of times in appreciation of the nods I've received in the review thread, but otherwise I've just been reading to get the lay of the land. Like James, I also felt somewhat overwhelmed at the thought of reading through multiple 100+ page threads to familiarize myself with the people here, and as others suggested, I thought it might be a good idea to post a new thread.

Maybe it will draw out others who are lurking, to say hello and introduce themselves. That's my hope, at least. I'm not entirely fond of the spotlight.

Introductions?

well, first off, welcome to the forum. I have only had time to lurk as of late, but do peek in to see how my favorite people are doing and how their writing is coming along. Ihope to be able to catch up soon, but until then, I hope you have loads of fun here and write even more.

I write under the names:
Maria2394
ghost_girl
mia_moore ( have work on Clean Sheets under that name)

and also,

catalina_frisco

( not be be confused with Catalina_Francisco) I was totally unaware of their name until I got a note from them about the similarity. They are friendly and cool, so if you meet up with them, tell'em I said "hi"

Best Wishes and a million hugs

:heart:

NJ

Introductions?

well, first off, welcome to the forum. I have only had time to lurk as of late, but do peek in to see how my favorite people are doing and how their writing is coming along. Ihope to be able to catch up soon, but until then, I hope you have loads of fun here and write even more.

I write under the names:
Maria2394
ghost_girl
mia_moore ( have work on Clean Sheets under that name)

and also,

catalina_frisco

( not be be confused with Catalina_Francisco) I was totally unaware of their name until I got a note from them about the similarity. They are friendly and cool, so if you meet up with them, tell'em I said "hi"

Best Wishes and a million hugs

:heart:

NJ

Thank you, NJ. :) Is having multiple pen names the cool thing to do around here, or is it more to keep different styles/genres of writing separate? I have the one other from years ago but haven't looked at it in ages.

what's a deist?

I really need to take out that link. How am I supposed to maintain an air of mystery?

Here's Wikipedia's definition of deism, which is more succinct than anything I could provide:

Deism is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme God created the universe, and that this and other religious truth can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without the need for faith. Deists generally reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs - such as by miracles and revelations. These views contrast with a dependence on revelations, miracles, and faith found in many Judeo-Christian, Islamic and other theistic teachings.

Which is to say, I think it plausible that the universe has a "prime mover," but that, for all practical purposes, we're on our own down here. There is as much spirit in the world, and in our lives, as there is.

Okay, mine was more succinct. Less clear, though.

I really need to take out that link. How am I supposed to maintain an air of mystery?

Here's Wikipedia's definition of deism, which is more succinct than anything I could provide:

Deism is a religious and philosophical belief that a supreme God created the universe, and that this and other religious truth can be determined using reason and observation of the natural world alone, without the need for faith. Deists generally reject the notion of divine interventions in human affairs - such as by miracles and revelations. These views contrast with a dependence on revelations, miracles, and faith found in many Judeo-Christian, Islamic and other theistic teachings.

Which is to say, I think it plausible that the universe has a "prime mover," but that, for all practical purposes, we're on our own down here. There is as much spirit in the world, and in our lives, as there is.

The question is, if you're a deist, are you a-theist?

I read the Wikipedia definition but I was more interested in knowing what you as a deist could say about it in a more personal way

I suppose I'm a theist, in the sense that I believe in a supernatural origin for Everything That Is. I'm afraid that I have no personal experience of deism to relate; for me it's more a philosophical position than a faith. I have no relationship with the Watchmaker God. :)

I will say that I ran across the early English deists when I was studying eighteenth-century literature, and that their general approach to theology and cosmology made sense to me. To the extent that I have a religion-- and I'm not sure it's worthy of the name-- that's it.

Catholics have much prettier buildings. I could get into that.

The question is, if you're a deist, are you a-theist?
I am no deist,
Misanthropeist,
My theodicy is all mine ooowwn.

But I can't ree-sist
The kind of theist
Who inhabits the quantum fooaam!

For I love a bang, one jolly Big Bang
Where nothing makes something at once.
It's my home on Lagrange
(Pssst! That rhymes with orange.)
Says this song that is more a harangue.

So cease and dee-sist
All non-atheist
Isms—I've no more to saaay.

That we all eee-xist
Is All; it's ree-miss
To argue cosmogony, eh?

I suppose I'm a theist, in the sense that I believe in a supernatural origin for Everything That Is. I'm afraid that I have no personal experience of deism to relate; for me it's more a philosophical position than a faith. I have no relationship with the Watchmaker God. :)

I will say that I ran across the early English deists when I was studying eighteenth-century literature, and that their general approach to theology and cosmology made sense to me. To the extent that I have a religion-- and I'm not sure it's worthy of the name-- that's it.

I think the pretty buildings are what decides it for me. That or the choir.

I tend to classify myself as philosophically agnostic, with no direct evidence for a supreme being/life force - whatever. Psychologically I'm a believer, with a God I can pray to to help me get going. I find that prayers for serenity, strength and the like do work (long ago prayers to get my girl back, or to come into a lot of money don't work; either in terms of results or how I feel). But does such efficacy of prayer result from biochemical reactions or some spiritual contact? Does it matter if they work? Physicists sometimes use multi-dimensional models (10 is a common number - 3 position, time, 3 momentum, ... - and such formulations have now been folded into string theory). Could there be spiritual dimensions as well? I once came up with the formulation:
Life is the intersection of a reality and a dream.
I'm not religious, but have a spiritual life. My background is Catholic. Besides the nice buildings, one image from when I was in England in my early teens has stuck with me - those coffins with a figure of a knight holding a sword or a priest with a cross lying on top - rest in peace seems quite appropriate.

Thank you, NJ. :) Is having multiple pen names the cool thing to do around here, or is it more to keep different styles/genres of writing separate? I have the one other from years ago but haven't looked at it in ages.

hey :)

I don't know if it it's "cool" to have several alts... in fact, I think many people find it annoying, but I did it to keep my moods and "their" poems separate. I found as the years progressed that Maria writes differently than NJ and NJ writes differently than ghost_girl and so on.

It is a mood thing for me, and I prefer that people know it's me as it has caused bad feelings and confusion in the past, the alts, that is, and many people here have them.

When I began submitting work for possible publication, I found that my normal_ jean poems had much more success than any of the others, isn't that funny ? :D

Lately I have been stuck, my muse, a dear friend I had for many years, is no longer around to inspire me and I rarely write anymore, but i love to read the challenges here.

best wishes to you!

:rose:

NJ

...Lately I have been stuck, my muse, a dear friend I had for many years, is no longer around to inspire me and I rarely write anymore, but i love to read the challenges here.

best wishes to you!

:rose:

NJ

When I was in primary school I figured the idea of the muse was part of western mythology, something perpetuated to make writing sound grander than it actually was. Now about ten years later I've written a whole lot of poems and 95% of those exist because of the existence of one female, the other 5% sprung from another(earlier trial muse.) Though, I haven't experienced the muse of western myth yet, the one who solely inspires and you've no other earthly interest in.

I think the pretty buildings are what decides it for me. That or the choir.

Methodists have the best tunes!

I tend to classify myself as philosophically agnostic, with no direct evidence for a supreme being/life force - whatever. Psychologically I'm a believer, with a God I can pray to to help me get going. I find that prayers for serenity, strength and the like do work (long ago prayers to get my girl back, or to come into a lot of money don't work; either in terms of results or how I feel). But does such efficacy of prayer result from biochemical reactions or some spiritual contact? Does it matter if they work? Physicists sometimes use multi-dimensional models (10 is a common number - 3 position, time, 3 momentum, ... - and such formulations have now been folded into string theory). Could there be spiritual dimensions as well? I once came up with the formulation:
I'm not religious, but have a spiritual life. My background is Catholic. Besides the nice buildings, one image from when I was in England in my early teens has stuck with me - those coffins with a figure of a knight holding a sword or a priest with a cross lying on top - rest in peace seems quite appropriate.

You should check out The Rosslyn Chapel
Yes it was used in The De Vinci Code (the film of which was complete bunkum!) when I was there they had scaffolding up and the public were allowed to go up it via proper steps and see the wonderful carvings at the top of the buidling really close up many of which are of Masonic signifcance.

Last edited:

I like the thinking far east of the prime meridian. Adepts there seem more content to accept the mysterious nature of the universe as meaningful, the Tao, if you will. I find comfort in God as this wonderful question mark.

Literotica has some very talented poets on its pages. There is a preponderance of sensual work as there should be with such a namesake. However, we in the West tend to separate spirituality and sexuality when many other cultures view them as part of the same fabric of existence, something again I find comforting, although counter-intuitive to how I have been socialized.

I like the thinking far east of the prime meridian. Adepts there seem more content to accept the mysterious nature of the universe as meaningful, the Tao, if you will. I find comfort in God as this wonderful question mark.

Literotica has some very talented poets on its pages. There is a preponderance of sensual work as there should be with such a namesake. However, we in the West tend to separate spirituality and sexuality when many other cultures view them as part of the same fabric of existence, something again I find comforting, although counter-intuitive to how I have been socialized.

It's easy saying there's a separation between spirituality and sexuality, but not so easy to say it exists between sensuality and spirituality. Eating Jesus' body and blood, anointing feet, adult baptism are all very sensual experiences. You can't really link all that up to sexuality like you can in South and Central American religious practices, but I don't think the line's so distinct in the main religion over here. To me there's a distinction between erotic and sensual poetry on this website, the erotic is fun, sexy, the sensual is when spirit imbues the erotic.

Right now what are the biggest social topics? Abortion and Gay Marriage. The spiritual life vs. human sexuality. It's sad to be a fundamentalist right now, cuz once the 'versus' fades from the mainstream discussion they're going to have to concentrate on their own salvation.

I find that prayers for serenity, strength and the like do work (long ago prayers to get my girl back, or to come into a lot of money don't work; either in terms of results or how I feel). But does such efficacy of prayer result from biochemical reactions or some spiritual contact?

From my perspective, these would amount to the same thing.

And Epmd607, I know what you mean about the muse. Corinna here has been mine, for as long as I've been writing anything worth a damn. I'm very fortunate to have her.

From my perspective, these would amount to the same thing.

And Epmd607, I know what you mean about the muse. Corinna here has been mine, for as long as I've been writing anything worth a damn. I'm very fortunate to have her.

Not to dissect a muse, because a muse is a terrible thing to waste. But what sort of Muse is she? Do you classically observe and appreciate her and write from that space, or do you want to consume whatever it is that makes her Muse?

I think I've always been a consumer. I want to bleed the muse from body by tooth and nail, live in her constructed world instead of just standing by and observing. I guess either way works just as well for the production of quality art.

If a muse is just one person does that confine you? I for one don't know what a muse really is, what it is that makes the words suddenly pour out. Since I got ill I felt in a way stunted unable to produce, yet today for some reason I sat down and wrote and wrote, where it came from and why today I have no idea. It may not be any good but I am just glad the dam broke and the 'muse' whatever it may be is still around!

When you don't feel creative you're still collecting data for some future poem. I don't just collect data about her morning habits for some future poem, I'm sifting through all the normal stuff too. But when I feel compelled it's usually because of some bliss brought on by her existence, and then everything can tumble out whether it's about congress, birds, or her private habits.

If a muse is just one person does that confine you? I for one don't know what a muse really is, what it is that makes the words suddenly pour out. Since I got ill I felt in a way stunted unable to produce, yet today for some reason I sat down and wrote and wrote, where it came from and why today I have no idea. It may not be any good but I am just glad the dam broke and the 'muse' whatever it may be is still around!

For me, my muse, such as it may be, is not a physical person or distinct entity.
Perhaps more a metaphorical reference to inspiration. I can be visited my a 'muse' for some algorithm (not just some code which fulfills a purpose) which embodies some new concept.
Edison said 'Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration'.

Back