Suggestion about 'rating' editors.

Instead of a rating with scores and all, why not just a recommendation thread as a sticky?

If you liked your editor, put in a good word for him/her on it. If you didn't, remember how much you paid for their services and shut up.

That way, a new author looking for an editor can see the ones which have proven to be helpful to other authors.

Of course it would need to be strictly marshaled to make sure negative posts are quashed.

Just my two pence, but I think it could work.

Instead of a rating with scores and all, why not just a recommendation thread as a sticky?

If you liked your editor, put in a good word for him/her on it. If you didn't, remember how much you paid for their services and shut up.

That way, a new author looking for an editor can see the ones which have proven to be helpful to other authors.

Of course it would need to be strictly marshaled to make sure negative posts are quashed.

Just my two pence, but I think it could work.

I agree "rating" could be done this way, but it would be an honor system as to the complaint.

For instance its not an editors fault if your story doesn't get a Hot rating(unless of course there were a lot of "bad grammar" comments) or if it didn;t get a of votes.

At that point you're relying on honesty and on the net that is not always a given.

I wish there was a way to "warn" people. In fact its killing me not to mention this person's name because they really did nothing beyond what I could do already which is not much at all. They certainly should not be allowed to let people think they can make their work better.

The story in question did quite well with score and votes, but it was mother/son incest, when don't they?

My gripe is the person didn't even touch the sex scene, but gave me detailed "that was hot" praise on it so they read it. Most likely with one hand while they should have been editing. Shows right there that they're not cut out for this.

I was already planning on thanking him that way. I hoped there was something I could do to let others know I recommend him as a VE.

Just thank him personally. As ML said, not everyone wants a public thank you. It can lead to lots of editing requests which the person may not have time for, then they have to spend a lot of time turning people down, and then hard feelings can arise.

My first editor(and best to date as far as being consistent and not vanishing on me) was a real sweetheart.

She was an English Major out in Indiana and through our correspondence we learned we shared the same favorite authors and had read many of the same books.

She was also a huge Lovecraft fan. When she e-mailed me to tell me she had gotten a full time job and could no longer edit. I managed to get an address from her and sent her an old beat to hell issue of Weird tales from the thirties featuring a Lovecraft Story as a thank you for all her help.

Back