Britwitch's Cottage

It's sunny but cold in the woods today, the chill clouding my breath as I walk up the path and open the front door...

I keep on my cloak as I re-lay and light the fire, taking the opportunity to light a few candles on the table top and in the window...

Carrying a lighted taper outside to light the lantern that hangs beside the front door, in case a visitor should come along the path through the woods after darkness falls...

The cottage is warming up nicely by the time I come back inside and I pull off my cloak and set about making myself a warming drink...

I have some time to myself and this is the perfect place to spend it...
 
I've no objection to playing visitor. Not today. The season has slipped past and fall come on, a burst of colors in the trees while the sky gradually sinks to its more mournful casts of gray. I've always preferred autumn to spring. Particularly days, like this one, when the onset of winter's gray is pushed back by the sun and the trees seem to come alive when the light strikes their many colored leaves. I like the way the air smells, crisp and sweet. A mix of fallen leaves and damp carried on the crisp, clean chill of the breeze. The little things, always, have inspired me.

The change of the seasons is amongst these.

A little thing. A detail. A small sliver of a day otherwise defined by my arrival here. I watch her, aware that I am not the most handsome man. My most striking feature is my squared jaw, pronounced. My build is neither bulky or lanky. A rangy, rugged stretch of compacted muscle that inspires images of health instead of beefcake. I am, as is typical, under-dressed. Jeans. A collared shirt with brown, gray, and green flannel.

A bit the outdoorsman.

She, of course, is beautiful. Understated elegance. A hint of sweetness and mystery.

Why else would she choose such a guarded enclave?

I'm the invader. Unapologetic but utterly aware. "Hello, girl."
 
A new voice reaches my ears and causes me to look towards the door and smile.
"Hello yourself, do come in..."
I note his frame, how he towers slightly over my own, the breadth and strength in his shoulders, the smile on his lips
"Always nice to have new friends visiting...can I get you anything...?"
 
A new voice reaches my ears and causes me to look towards the door and smile.
"Hello yourself, do come in..."
I note his frame, how he towers slightly over my own, the breadth and strength in his shoulders, the smile on his lips
"Always nice to have new friends visiting...can I get you anything...?"

Polite. Inviting. But, more than anything, I find myself focused on the cut of her eyes across my frame. That appraisal, communicated clearly, is mirrored when I find my stare raking the soft collection of curves she presents.

"Wine?" I ask.

And choose not to be specific. Her choices, her decisions, reveal as much about her mindset as anything. All the same, I've never been a passive man. I reach out to cross the distance between us, find the softness of her hip under my large hand. Warmth blooms beneath my touch.

My body stirs.

"Why the woods?"
 
The flush of warmth and colour to my cheeks is unstoppable as I watch his eyes looking at me as I was moments earlier looking at him.
I think I may have a bottle hidden away for just such an occassion...

I reply, intending to look in the small cubby beneath the staircase but my intentions remaining merely that as he closes the gap between us and a hand rests upon the curve of my hip, making my blue eyes glance down momentarily at the contrast between the relative paleness of his skin against the darkness of my dress before returning to his face, although now my gaze is filtered through long, dark lashes

Why the woods...? The privacy, the peace, the closeness to nature...many reasons...this place called to me and so I came...
 
My life has been lived in offices. The bland, washed-out colors of cubicles and painfully neutral tones in which they are shrouded. My weekends, however, belong to trees and trails and frequently the warmth of wine.

It called to her. She came.

The difference in circumstances is slight but significant. I enjoy the feel of her body beneath my fingers, the way her eyes look up at me through dark lashes. There is nothing subtle in her femininity, not to me. It communicates as I attempt to draw her closer, attracted to this moment and its feeling.

"I sought out an escape some time ago. Hiking and hunting revealed themselves."
 
It's always nice to meet another who appreciates the outdoors, I am a little surprised but pleasantly so

I don't think anyone can escape when the wild calls...not really...
My hand rises without my conscious command to rest upon his toned upper arm, my feet shifting the merest fraction to push my body towards his, hip now resting against hip

We all need to escape sometimes...can I ask what brought you to my cottage today? Escape...? Or are you hunting today...?
An undeniably playful smile curves my lips as I await his answer
 
The woods are still, the sky dark...a half moon hangs in the velvet sky, clouds ocassionally scudding before it...
In amongst the trees are patches of snow...left from last week's snowfall, hidden from the sunlight and left to melt of their own accord...

The fire dances merrily and I slip into the bathtub, glass of wine in one hand...a long soak is needed after a long day...I need time to recharge and unwind before tackling the mountain of owed posts I have accrued...

Sighing I let the hot water envelop me, herbal scented steam rising around me and drifting out of the door and into the night...
 
The woods are a dismal place today. Trees devoid of leaves and berries now line the path.
Their skeletal branches creeping towards the grey sky, down from which steadily pours a fine rain, soaking anything and everything it touches.
Soon we'll have snow again but today, the woods are cold and damp and not at all enticing.

Inside the cottage is a far cosier sight. The fire dancing merrily, a freshly baked rhubarb and strawberry crumble cooling on the table, candles in the windows and the lantern over the door shining in the gloom.

Cradling my cup of tea, I'm nestled in the corner of the couch, a good book on my lap and a shawl around my shoulders...
 
Stepping carefully along the slick pathway, a make my way through the almost skeletal forest to my chosen destination. The hood of the cloak is drawn, keeping the wind and water from my face, while the remainder of the outer layer of clothing slowly looses the battle against the ever persistent water. But it will serve it's purpose well, and keep be dry when I arrive under cover.

My footsteps are normal upon the stairs, neither soft to be hidden, nor loud to be heard deliberately. One arm extends from the gap in the cloak, knocking gently on the door.
 
Besides the woman inside, the smell of something freshly baked and the promise of warmth draw me to the cottage door again. Though I like the cold, the best part of it is still getting out of it. I knock on the door, not comfortable enough to simply let myself in.
 
I glance up at the knock to the door, given the foul weather I certainly wasn't expecting company today. Putting down my tea and book, I pad barefoot across the floor, pulling my shawl a little closer around me against the chill I know I will feel as I open the door

Hello...?

A cloaked figure stands outside, hood too far forward to reveal the owner. I squint in the rapidly dimming light, trying recognise my visitor before I realise my curiosity is causing whoever it is to get wetter and wetter. Stranger or not, this is not the weather to keep someone standing outside.

Forgive my manners. Please do come in...let me hang up your cloak to dry...
 
Besides the woman inside, the smell of something freshly baked and the promise of warmth draw me to the cottage door again. Though I like the cold, the best part of it is still getting out of it. I knock on the door, not comfortable enough to simply let myself in.

Another knock send me back to the door, a former visitor it seems has returned.

Hello again...do come in it's foul out there...!
 
I step inside, pulling the hood back, revealing a broad smile.

Sorry, I thought the hood was back enough for you to make out who it was.

I remove the sodden piece of clothing, hanging it on a hook that is for just such a purpose.

My apologies for not getting here sooner since your return.

I wait as my hostess deals with another visitor, nodding my head in greetings to the newcomer.

Greetings, Erlind, it has been a while since I last saw you. I hope all is well for you.
 
A wide smile of my own as my visitor's indentity is revealed

Oh I'm so glad it's you...! Have been hoping you'd drop by at some point....

I usher my visitors to make themselves comfortable

Can I get you two gentlemen anything? Kettle hasn't long since boiled...tea, coffee...something stronger?
And you must try some of my crumble...I have some cream around here too if you'd like some...
 
I'm glad to be remembered though I've only visited once and quickly come inside. I gravitate towards the fire without really realizing it.

“I've been well Marauder, just not very social. It happens sometimes. And thank you for inviting me in Britwitch, it is nice and nasty out there, but that just means it feel better in here. There are always sweet things to eat here, aren't there? Some tea would be fine for me and I would love some of the crumble.”
 
Tea and crumble it is...

Another warm smile as I set out making Erlind's chosen drink and putting a generous portion of the still steaming crumble into a bowl and take them over, along with a small jug of cream

And you Marauder...?
 
I take some time to take in the feel of Brit's cottage. There is something about the place that eases the soul, well mine anyway.

Brit's voice brings me back to earth, and I turn to dace her again.


Just some tea, thank you.
 
The smile on my face can't help but widen. "Rhubarb is one of my favorites, but no one I know makes it. I can cook a little, but baking tends to be a little out of my league if I get past anything more complex than cake mix."

I take a first bite of the treat and its a little too hot, but I don't care. Its nice to have it again. “Wonderful.”
 
You had best be careful, Erlind. I suspect that Brit's baking talents might end up ensnaring you. You might feel compelled to remain, almost addicted to treasures her oven produces. I have come close to being entrapped myself. I laugh, letting Brit know that I am not too serious.

But what of you, Brit? How are you this day?
 
I blush happily at Erlind's compliment on my baking and Marauder's comment, returning with a steaming cup of tea for Marauder

Do let me know if you fancy anything else...

I insist as I take a seat on the couch and gesture for my visitors to make themselves at home

So, what brings you both to the woods today? Not that I'm complaining, far from it, it's lovely to have such charming company...

And I'm fine thankyou...better today than yesterday at any rate! And just glad to be home after a month on the road!
 
Last edited:
For me, it is the most reliable manner to speak to you. Plus, I am attracted to this place. It has a feel to it that appeals to me deeply. I do suspect that the owner has a great influence on that aspect, but there might be more to it than that.

Also, please forgive me if I seem... uhh... off with the pixies. I have come home from work for the first time after a 3 day break, and the adjusting to the routine has thrown me a little.

I take a much needed sip of the tea, and resist caving to temptation and indulging in the crumble.
 
Blowing on it this time I take another bite and say, “I can think of considerably worse places to be entrapped.” I take a seat at the table not wanting to get crumble everywhere and consider her question.

“I don't usually know why I do the things I do, but in this case rhubarb may have been a determining factor. That and I've been trying to be a little more social lately and this seemed such a nice place to do it.”
 
It was always harder to go back after a short break like that than to go back after a long holiday, I always found...

I sip my own tea, smiling softly at Marauder's kindly spoken words about my cottage

And I'm delighted and honoured you've visited...

I add to Erlind, another happy smile at his equally flattering comments. I snuggle into the couch a little, running a hand through my hair and relaxing

Well whatever the reasons, I'm very happy you're both here
 
It doesn't take me long to finish what I had on my plate once it had cooled a little and I set my fork down. “Another piece would be too easy to eat,” I say, but I make no move to take another. Instead I take my tea and take a seat on the couch. Taking a sip of the tea I decide to ask a question.

“He sounded joking, but how much truth was there in Marauder's joke? Can you really ensnare men, Britwitch?”
 
Back
Top