Lauren Bacall: RIP

Hello Summer!
:( More here.

She was 89 and lived a vibrant and amazing life, and got to play some of the most amazing characters in some of the most amazing movies, active till the end. We should all be so lucky. But it still makes me sad.

01-lauren%2Bb.jpg

Last edited:
She had a great story and a great voice. Love her movies, especially the old ones. I was pleasantly surprised when watching "Howl's Moving Castle" to find that she was one of the voices (the Witch of the Waste), along with Jean Simmons.

Not sure what my favorite is, but I have a soft spot for "Key Largo."

She was a fox...a classy fox.

Rest in Peace dear lady.

I saw this on evening news, then I read a story about it being a hoax by someone on Facebook, then I read it really happened. The internet...unbelievable.

Timeless beauty.

"You know how to whistle don't you? Just put your lips together and blow."

R.I.P.

She was great in everything I saw her in, but I'll always remember her in "To Have and Have Not", It may have been her first major role.

She was great in everything I saw her in, but I'll always remember her in "To Have and Have Not", It may have been her first major role.

I think the first movie I remember seeing her in was Murder on the Orient Express, but I also believe the bold, beautiful Bacall with Bogey in To Have and Have Not was her at her best. RIP.

Lauren_bacall_lb_10_5xTeVdZ_918.jpg

I really don't think there's ever been another actress like her. Not back when the screens were filled with witty, black and white femme fatals nor now. Her beauty was animated by so much intelligence and honest boldness. One of my all time favorite scenes with her was the Big Sleep's prank call.

There have been and are a lot of brilliant and beautiful actresses, but ones that invite the audience to join in on their jokes, those are few and far between.

Iconic actress. March 2000 had pleasure of watching her off Broadway in Waiting in the Wings. RIP.

Funny thing about that voice. It was part of her makeover (along with the sultry "look up at you from a downcast face" expression). She was taught to speak in a lower register. They really did a remake job on actors in those days. In her case, the changes were winners.

I found the early Kathleen Turner to have the same effect (especially the voice), but she quickly lost the LB effect for me. I always equated Bacall with Lena Horn in my "classy lady" file.

I really don't think there's ever been another actress like her. Not back when the screens were filled with witty, black and white femme fatals nor now. Her beauty was animated by so much intelligence and honest boldness. One of my all time favorite scenes with her was the Big Sleep's prank call.

There have been and are a lot of brilliant and beautiful actresses, but ones that invite the audience to join in on their jokes, those are few and far between.

I totally agree. Totally. It was a time when women were breaking barriers, and a self-assured, intelligent woman was new on the scene. She never hid her brains, or her courage. You took her as she came. I think that's what Bogie admired in her.

Back