Climate change, earthquakes and tsunamis, oh my!!

stephen55

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Posts
2,564
Yes, Climate Change May Cause More Tsunamis. No, That's Not Alarmism

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03/climate-change-earthquakes-tsunamis-alarmism.php#

trysail, ami and the boys are going to go apeshit over this one.

"In a little-heeded warning issued at a 2009 conference on the subject, experts outlined a range of mechanisms by which climate change could already be causing more earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic activity. "When the ice is lost, the earth's crust bounces back up again and that triggers earthquakes, which trigger submarine landslides, which cause tsunamis," Bill McGuire, professor at University College London, told Reuters.

Melting ice masses change the pressures on the underlying earth, which can lead to earthquakes and tsunamis, but that's just the beginning. Rising seas also change the balance of mass across earth's surface, putting new strain on old earthquake faults, and may have been partly to blame for the devastating 2004 tsunami that struck Southeast Asia, according to experts from the China Meteorological Administration."


Wait for it....
 
I predicted this in 1999. I...wait...I was partying like it was 1999...so it must have been in 2000 that I predicted, floods, earthquakes and...well floods.

I think I also predicted that the earth would move...wait, that's what I told the young woman I was with back then when we...did the nasty.
 
All anyone has to do is predict there will be a major earthquake every day of their lives. Eventually they will be right and hailed as a modern-day Nostradamus genius.
 
I predicted this in 1999. I...wait...I was partying like it was 1999...so it must have been in 2000 that I predicted, floods, earthquakes and...well floods.

I think I also predicted that the earth would move...wait, that's what I told the young woman I was with back then when we...did the nasty.

nostradamus2.jpg


1299619813-94.jpg


And so on and so forth...

As another public service to Litsters, I shall now translate into English, part of the Fifth Century Quatrain of Nostradamus.

A Vant venuë de ruyne Celtique,
Dedans le temple deux parlementerôt,
Poignar cœur, d'vn monté au coursier & pique
Sans faire bruit le grand enterreront.

Sept coniurez au banquet feront luyre,
Contre les trois le fer hors de nauire,
L'vn les deux classes au grand fera conduire,
Quand par le mail denier au front luy tire.


Let's see...

The awakened dead at the breaking of the seventh seal...
With a certainty greater than death and taxes, pigs will fly...
A greater Bush shall rise...Dubya II will lead you all...
Ignore Edgar Cayce...he's going to be a moron...

(Nothing new here so far...)

Okay, here it is...

Vile vapours of the Beast (sounds like CO2 to me)
The sun shall burn hot and long (definitely global warming)
The Earth shall rise and fall again (Absolutely earthquakes)
In the orient, a new sun will be born and die (100%, that's a nuclear reactor going apeshit!!)

Nostradamus has done it again!!
 
Nostradamus also predicted the Chrysler Cordoba, with its rich Corinthian leather, would be the standard worldwide personal conveyance for 500 years. He also predicted Justin Bieber would sweep this year's Grammys.
 
Nostradamus also predicted the Chrysler Cordoba, with its rich Corinthian leather, would be the standard worldwide personal conveyance for 500 years. He also predicted Justin Bieber would sweep this year's Grammys.


What's a Bieber?
 
It's highly obvious the world's tectonic plates are in flux. We started it with Global Warming and the Earth can't handle what we've done to it. The changes are evident over the last 50 years, to what we've done to alter things and now we are paying the price for it.

Nay-sayers aside, the evidence of so many numerous earthquakes around the world, Tsunami's, volcanic eruptions and climate changes that spawn hurricaines in greater numbers are too prevalent to not take notice and say something is up, whether Mother Nature is PMSing, or we've been a bad species and deserve this.

If I'm not mistaken, my guess is that the American/Canadian Pacific seaboard is in for some re-adjusting to compensate for all of this and the Ring of Fire will yet again unleash more catstrophe for us to face. I'm just hoping this isn't the last straw on Yellowstone Park's back and it decides to go super-volcano on us. The devastation we've seen so far from ALL the events of the past years, will pale in comparison.

As we've been told, it's not a matter of if, but when anything can happen. I just hope the big, fucking meteor hits first and takes us out quickly. This nickel and dime devastation sucks.
 
Nostradamus also predicted the Chrysler Cordoba, with its rich Corinthian leather, would be the standard worldwide personal conveyance for 500 years. He also predicted Justin Bieber would sweep this year's Grammys.

I hope to hell they put Ricardo Montoban in deep freeze. Only he could sell that tank to the people. I loved mine, lmao.

Bieber? The thing you give a baby to suck on?
 
I also predicted Bieber. Here a Bieber, there a Bieber, everywhere a Bieber, Old McDonalds had a farm...wow, a Big Mac just flew by the window! :eek:
 
Isn't a Bieber a guy who shaves bees? In reality, who the hell is he? All I know is the kid does pro-Active commercials. From what I've seen, he's a total dork. God save us, if this is what the Horomone-laced masses of teen girls is into now. We need Donny and Marie back. :D
 
Isn't a Bieber a guy who shaves bees? In reality, who the hell is he? All I know is the kid does pro-Active commercials. From what I've seen, he's a total dork. God save us, if this is what the Horomone-laced masses of teen girls is into now. We need Donny and Marie back. :D

I dig the kid's haircut. He reminds me of Mr. Spock on estrogen.
 
Earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased,

Consequently the number of active volcanos has remained constant or possibly decreased over the past 1,000 years.

After Katrina, 'tree huggers' predicted more and bigger hurricanes each year; how is that working for you?

The Earth's core has been gradually cooling since the earth was formed and will continue to cool for the next 8 billion years, like I should worry?

The global warming freaks are like underarm odors, ya gotta spray them once in a while to keep the stink down.

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
Earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased,

Amicus Veritas:rose:

Methinks ami has been a little disingenuous with his wikipedia quote. The full sentence reads...

"In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased, though this probably a statistical fluctuation rather than a systematic trend. More detailed statistics on the size and frequency of earthquakes is available from the USGS."

The sentence prior reads...

"The USGS estimates that, since 1900, there have been an average of 18 major earthquakes (magnitude 7.0-7.9) and one great earthquake (magnitude 8.0 or greater) per year, and that this average has been relatively stable."

Here's what the USGS (US Geological Survey) has to say about the rate of earthquakes.

"We continue to be asked by many people throughout the world if earthquakes are on the increase. Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant.

A partial explanation may lie in the fact that in the last twenty years, we have definitely had an increase in the number of earthquakes we have been able to locate each year."


http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php

So, ami is full of shit...again.

But he does know how to take a quote out of context.
 
Last edited:
All that has increased is the speed of communication. Just because we detect and talk about earthquakes more doesn't mean that there are more of them. While I am in no way implying that the Earth isn't getting warmer, 'cause I think it is, I have serious doubts about that causing an increase in earthquake activity.
 
Melting ice masses change the pressures on the underlying earth, which can lead to earthquakes and tsunamis, ...

Entirely plausible. When the Laurentide Ice Sheet retreated from the great lakes region 9,000-4000 years ago, the earth rebounded:

Of course, The Great Lakes, where all of this rebound is happening, are well known for for their tectonic instability. :rolleyes:
 
It's highly obvious the world's tectonic plates are in flux. We started it with Global Warming and the Earth can't handle what we've done to it. The changes are evident over the last 50 years, to what we've done to alter things and now we are paying the price for it.

Nay-sayers aside, the evidence of so many numerous earthquakes around the world, Tsunami's, volcanic eruptions and climate changes that spawn hurricaines in greater numbers are too prevalent to not take notice and say something is up, whether Mother Nature is PMSing, or we've been a bad species and deserve this.

If I'm not mistaken, my guess is that the American/Canadian Pacific seaboard is in for some re-adjusting to compensate for all of this and the Ring of Fire will yet again unleash more catstrophe for us to face. I'm just hoping this isn't the last straw on Yellowstone Park's back and it decides to go super-volcano on us. The devastation we've seen so far from ALL the events of the past years, will pale in comparison.

As we've been told, it's not a matter of if, but when anything can happen. I just hope the big, fucking meteor hits first and takes us out quickly. This nickel and dime devastation sucks.[/
QUOTE]

~~~

I don't recall dueling with RoyceConnors before, but such is life...I did want to quote the entire piece of garbage so that others might compare it to the 'true believer' mantra of any other religious faith, for Global Warming is surely faith, as THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT THE ACTIVITIES OF MAN HAVE AFFECTED THE EARTH AT ALL!

What little exposure to science facts, Ring of Fire, Tectonic Plates, this person may have, is overwhelmed by the total ignorance of the geologic history of the earth.

Tectonic plates have been around since the continents were formed and are natural events, silly, not man made, caused, or even influenced. History, even Biblical History, and that augmented by geological history, provides the learned with information that explains just about every disaster theory ever written and neither Man nor God has a thing to do with any of it.

Life or any kind, is somewhat of an afterthought on Planet Earth as the environment has been terribly hostile since the beginning and remains so to this day, although the frequency of such natural catastrophic events is demonstrably on the decrease.

All you people who see man as an infestuous species bound for extinction, rather than the true nature of the beast, to populate the Stars, are psychologically adolescents not mature enough to accept the responsibilities of life and the obligation to live it well.

Sad.

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
Consequently the number of active volcanos has remained constant or possibly decreased over the past 1,000 years.

There is no "consequently," because the reference you cite is of dubious authority to begin with. Even if you do place stock in its authority, why would you deliberately foreshorten the citation? The full, exact quote from Wikipedia you've referenced (and truncated) is as follows, the underlined portion of which is the part you decided to leave out:

"In recent years, the number of major earthquakes per year has decreased, though this probably a statistical fluctuation rather than a systematic trend. More detailed statistics on the size and frequency of earthquakes is available from the USGS."

"Recent years" doesn't even amount to the blink of an eye in geological terms. We've only been instrumentally measuring earthquakes since the 1930's. What we know about earthquake prediction is that we don't know a damn thing. The unquoted portion of your Wikipedia citation alludes to this fact, but you have suppressed that part of it to support a misleading assertion. They call this academic fraud where I come from.

After Katrina, 'tree huggers' predicted more and bigger hurricanes each year; how is that working for you?

More importantly, the scientific community has also predicted more and bigger hurricanes. Today's supercomputers are very capable of running climatic simulations, tracing the physical forces on the entire planetary atmospheric volume sliced up into trillions of individual cubes. They then analyze how recorded temperature trends influence the motions of those tiny cubes of air, using sophisticated statistical models, and determine near-future weather patterns. The most trusted of these simulations consistently predict stronger and more frequent hurricanes as an immediate consequence of global warming.

The Earth's core has been gradually cooling since the earth was formed and will continue to cool for the next 8 billion years, like I should worry?

You should worry because you don't live in the Earth's core. Neither does anyone else. And while it is true that the Earth's core is and will continue to gradually cool, it often does so at the expense of heat interchange at the surface and with the atmosphere. I'm guessing you live in one of those two places.

The global warming freaks are like underarm odors, ya gotta spray them once in a while to keep the stink down. Amicus Veritas:rose:

If freaks are the folks you normally deal with, then I suppose you know how best to deal with them. But freaks are not the only people alarmed by global warming. Global warming is a real, measurable phenomenon that the ENTIRE scientific community accepts as fact. Global historical temperature data is readily available, from dozens of reputable sources. Anyone who can read and think accepts global warming as a fact, too. Whether some say so publicly is only a matter of politics and personal finance.

As far as spraying to keep a stink down, I believe the focus of any such spray should be aimed at those who deliberately pervert the facts of a crisis every sensible human being should be made aware of and take as seriously as if their lives depended on it -- because our lives do depend on it. At the very least, being concerned about and taking actions to reduce global warming has more value than singling out small populations of concerned activists and insulting them with a creative mix of deception and ignorance.
 
Last edited:

~~~

WH...facts are one thing, interpretation another. for those who care, look up 53 centimeters, translate that to inches and then figure out the yearly change, the fact referenced a hundred years.

Did you also know that the Moon is receding from the Earth at a given and measureable rate each year and that it will eventually exterminate life on earth when it gets just so far away?

There have been Ice Ages before the Laurentide Ice Sheet (I referenced that in my book, The First Chief, Ahjeed....), many of them and there will most likely be more Ice Ages in the future, but for the time being, we are in a natural warming period and, golly gee, yeah, the glaciers melt, regardless of man.

If there is, in fact, no man caused Global Warming, why do you so much want to believe in it?

Please answer.

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
mynameisben....do a little search and discover that the seismograph was invented and used in 1874, with even earlier references.

Note also that the Threadstarter used a 'tree hugger' link, but offered no factual evidence that earthquake frequency has increased. I merely searched to refute that, he is free to support his faith in any way he can.

In case you have ignored the Trysail Thread on the Global Warming Hoax, perhaps you should read it. The reference material there will convince even you that the scientific community has been bought and paid for to produce faulty results.

If you wish to continue 'believing' in the farce, then by all means do so, but when you enter an open conversation, be prepared to be ridiculed as a 'jesus freak believer', because there are no facts, repeat, no facts to support your theory.

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
If there is, in fact, no man caused Global Warming, why do you so much want to believe in it?

I don't care if global warming is man caused or not, I care about whether we are adding to or subtracting from natural processes.

Just because a wildfire is started by lightening doesn't mean pouring gasoline on it is a good idea.
 
I don't care if global warming is man caused or not, I care about whether we are adding to or subtracting from natural processes.

Just because a wildfire is started by lightening doesn't mean pouring gasoline on it is a good idea.[/
QUOTE]

~~~

I have read that some people believe in a God because what do they lose if they are wrong?

So silly. They lose their individual soul and self identity.

With the terrible winter the US has just gone through, there are those wishing we had poured more green house gases into the atmosphere to perhaps warm things up a little...but sighs...to no avail, the pitiful contributions of man make no difference, good or bad.

What should trouble you and others, is that the environmental legislation, laws, that have been imposed on the US over the past half century, have decreased the living standard of all and increased the prices of everything we use. And for what reason?

None.

Amicus Veritas:rose:
 
Life or any kind, is somewhat of an afterthought on Planet Earth as the environment has been terribly hostile since the beginning and remains so to this day, although the frequency of such natural catastrophic events is demonstrably on the decrease.

Amicus Veritas:rose:

You are such an asshole.

You took a quote from wikipedia about earthquakes out of context, got caught, but still carry on as if you're right.

I never said that earthquakes were increasing and the USGS didn't either. But they do say they certainly aren't decreasing. The number of recorded small ones is up but that is simply the result of more and better seismic stations.

I started the thread with the link to the treehugger post simply because I knew you don't buy that climate change is real so you'd naturally laugh at any proposed connection between climate change and earthquakes, tsunamis etc.

It's one thing for trysail to cut and paste us to boredom but when you start making up data and then go on as if it's real, you're just being an asshole.

Friend of the truth...my ass...
 
Back
Top