The Cool Science Stuff Thread

733933_493438747386128_1029015660_n.jpg

You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it.
--- W. C. Fields

100% of people exposed to water will die?

It rained the other day, but I didn't die. Snowed yesterday, but still no death. Shower this morning, nada on the deadness.

Could thor and the Internet be wrong?

100% of people exposed to water will die?

It rained the other day, but I didn't die. Snowed yesterday, but still no death. Shower this morning, nada on the deadness.

Could thor and the Internet be wrong?

Sir,

You will die. I will die. Everyone will die.

Respectfully,

t

Public Service Announcement

Beware Dihydrogen Monoxide !!

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Public Service Announcement

Beware Dihydrogen Monoxide !!

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

Sometimes, a bit of CO2 is sequestered into the stuff and cheap scotch is added for flavor.

Earthquakes Turn Water Into Gold

Earthquakes have the Midas touch, a new study claims.

Water in faults vaporizes during an earthquake, depositing gold, according to a model published in the March 17 issue of the journal Nature Geoscience. The model provides a quantitative mechanism for the link between gold and quartz seen in many of the world's gold deposits, said Dion Weatherley, a geophysicist at the University of Queensland in Australia and lead author of the study.

Back