Holiday Guardians (OOC)

TearsoftheWorld

Radical Dreamer
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Posts
16,002
santa_s_pissed_by_thedurrrrian-d6za8nw.jpg


:eek:

Okay... perhaps not quite that epic.

BGSmT5L.png


:cool:

There we go.

:rose:

Belle Claus

Powers / Abilities

Has (almost) complete control over snow and ice. Her dad's a lot better at it than she is.

Belle also carries around a pouch that contains a special dust called Holiday Cheer.
Anyone that gets sprinkled with it loses their memories of the past couple of hours, but are filled with a sense of really, really good cheer.

Snowglobes

Snowglobes are a very special gift from the Elves, which Belle uses when she needs to get from one place to another almost instantly.
Each globe can only be used once, and the portal will only remain open for a few seconds.

Reindeer

Belle is incapable (for now) at flying under her own power. She gets around this by (occasionally) borrowing one of her father's reindeer.

Weapon(s)

Belle carries around a large stick of peppermint, which she has become quite proficient at using for self defense.​
 
Last edited:
Okay, the basic premise of this thread is that the "major" guardians of the holidays have gone missing. It'll be up to our characters to figure out what happened, and stop whomever is behind it.

:heart:
 
Here's a concept I'm just toying with, wanted to spitball it:

...Chinese New Year?
 
Bonus points for thinking outside the box.

Thank you!

I kind of see Hongjun Laozu as being the "main" Guardian of The Chinese New Year, who triumphed over The Nian of legend. And he's gone missing with the rest.

His back-up could be called Yuandan, and would be an archer princess not unlike Mulan-- whose arrows might have various "luck" effects? She might also have a red lantern, and perhaps be able to summon the various animals of The Chinese Zodiac to her aid?

201205100208343927.jpg
 
hongjunlaozu_zpsgy501pnt.jpg


Hongjun Laozu
"Ancestor of the Great Balance"

********

Sun_Shangxiang_Illustration_28ROTK12TB29_zpsj8prtpok.jpg

Yuandan

Powers / Abilities

An exceptional archer and swordswoman, Yuandan is an expert with a jian but prefers her bow and arrows.

Wherever Yuandan's arrows land-- wrapped, as they are, with scrolls inked with messages of luck --they are accompanied by a brief burst of luck magic that may cause misfortune to nearby enemies or cause a fortuitous happenstance for Yuandan or her allies. These effects are invariably momentary and often subtle, such as a fumbled strike or a small epiphany, but one small event can be instrumental in turning a tide.

Yuandan is a decent tracker, and is extremely proficient in the t'ai chi of the Taoist tradition.

Lantern

Yuandan also carries a red lantern filled with the light of The First Sunrise of the year. This can burn warm and bright to soothe her friends, or scorch and sear her enemies. The lantern's light must be used sparingly, however, as it can only be refreshed every year on the morning of Chinese New Year.

Zodiac

She is accompanied everywhere by an animal companion corresponding to the sign of The Chinese Zodiac of the current year. At the moment, it is The Goat, but this will soon give way to The Monkey.

05a9b1ca10b62a499c14daa3fa9c9d58.jpg


500px-Monkey_king_by_ry_spirit-d5asr8z.jpg

Weapon(s)

Yuandan has her bow and arrows and her sword.

She also carries firecrackers.

Bio

Yuandan is the specific incarnation of the first day of Chinese New Year, the eldest of her fifteen brothers and sisters, the sons and daughters of Nüwa. She has a motherly streak towards them, and has honed her skill as a fighter in order to keep them safe from the changes of the times.

She is a bit disgruntled that Hongjun Laozu has become the more prominent Guardian of The Chinese New Year. Additionally, The Republic of China's reassigning the actual date of "Yuándàn" to the first day of the year according to the Western Gregorian solar calendar has made her feel cut off from her siblings, and thus she resents such intrusions of Western tradition.

Nevertheless, she subscribes to honor and virtue, especially according to Taoism, and will never shy from what she feels is right, even if it upsets her.

The disappearance of Hongjun Laozu has made her eager to take her place in the front row, to shine brightly out of his shadow, but perhaps she will soon be reminded that no pillar stands alone under the weight of Heaven.​
 
Last edited:
Thank you!

"Yuandan" is a name for an older version of the tradition of Chinese New Year, and it means "The First Sunrise." I dearly wanted to work that in somewhere!
 
So I was thinking that perhaps the Nian is causing quite a mess (having been set free), and it's been given a tool that helps it block out red colors. Belle arrives to help combat the beast, and disables its visual aid.

Whatcha think?
 
And while Santa's reindeer are traditionally only capable of flight on Christmas Eve, I was thinking that Rudolph could be the exception (his red nose might come in handy).
 
If you go by the original "Rudolph" special, it seems like the younger reindeer undergo flight training throughout the year. But I can understand how you might want to limit it for dramatic reasons.

Under those circumstances, yeah, Rudolph-- as lead reindeer --might be solely capable of year-round flight.

And yeah, I think that would be a splendid way for our ladies to join forces!

I think Yuandan is going to be stern at first, and a little resentful that she's had to play second-fiddle for so long. So she might be a bit grumpy that Belle had to rescue her from a non-erythrophobic Nian, at least for the time being.

As her character develops, though, I think she'll become more of a team player. Does that work?
 
Back
Top