The BDSM Book Club Discussion Thread

Did you like the book overall or not?

I felt extremely conflicted by it. There were parts of it that were "hot" but I never felt so cross feminist as when reading this book. This is a position I feel unfamiliar with.

Do you feel it portrays BDSM in a real way, a positive way and/or your way?

I felt ( stripped to the bones) it was quite a realistic portrayal of lots of disfunctional relationships. I do not think it was a positive of BDSM. I found Julian essentially a weak personality for all his written strengths and methods of control....his needs and reliance on extremes to me were ... Unmasterful. A problem with the 'rich' scenario is that the captivation of self over all else is lost.

Did you like the sex scenes in the book?

Yes. :)

Did you like the rest of the book, the story in it?

Hmm. Difficult. It provoked reaction in me, which is good. But....I think it was a story of how not to love and think really.

Would you be interested in reading another book by this author?

I would, but it didn't rush to read the sequel. I was really very cross at times trying to work out my emotions about this book.

What did you like best about this selection?

The sex:D
What did you like the least?
I don't know.

How would you have changed the story?
Hmm. I would have felt better had she not had 'but we were different' reaction about Stockholm syndrome, or had he not come prepared when he came to get her at the end. I don't know. Maybe for me it was important to have a good negative reaction to this. It had me very strongly questioning my pyl feelings, as my reaction was elastic banding me into territory so extreme the otherway, which is odd as non con is not no go for me, at ALL :D:eek:.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did! However, as I said before, I don't normally like this sort of story, so I was pretty surprised I liked it as much as I did - and I'm still not sure why. While I'll read some non-con, I prefer a bit closer to reluctance.

I've had a hard time reading a BDSM book lately for some reason. I am actively reading this one right now. Funny thing, it's a turn off to me but I wrote my own non consent / kidnapping fantasies back in the day that got me off.

:rose:

Twist Me was kind of 'meh' for me. Some of the sex was fairly 'hot' but the non-con element turned me off and made it difficult to appreciate the rest of the story. Non-con is like an anti-button for me. Elle covered a lot of my reactions to this book.

I was disturbed by this non consent novel and that's funny when you consider I used to write non consent stories in my head to get off on nilla sex. Oh how the worm turns.

Later, in the book, I was slightly more comfortable as the lead female became more comfortable and showed what a fighter she was but still there is Stockholm syndrome. There are two more of these novels in the series. Not sure if I want to read more.

Due to non consent the sex scene didn't work for me. But honestly, it's difficult to enjoy kink and sex novels when one is getting little to none of these things in real life.

I think one of the things I felt about this book is while it is not famous like fifty shades. I think the reputation it would give BDSM is worse. This relationship is Less consensual, the female character is weaker and does not walk away when faced with love over personal emotional health, no compromises are met in the union.

That's a concern with consensual bdsm fiction, too. It doesn't matter if it's consensual there will always be someone who says that it's abuse. Quite honestly, as noncon bdsm fiction goes this one is ... well, I wouldn't say tame, but I would say that it's not as gross as some stuff I've run across. If we can't write the bdsm we like, or read it, for fear of offending someone or giving bdsm a bad name we might as well stop writing/read bdsm fiction at all.

I've just started October's book. It's a pleasant yet interesting contrast to the last one. There is still a level of reluctance here, but it's not as overwhelming, and leaves the door open to seduction (so far). I like seduction a lot more than kidnapping. :cattail:

Graceanne, I definitely see your point about what can be misconstrued in terms of giving BDSM a bad name. Perception is ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Even the more loving ("softer") kink novels pick up plenty of indignation at times. (I admit it, I have a semi-hobby of reading reviews on Amazon.) And now, of course, I'm very curious about "worse" non-con BDSM books. :rolleyes:

I've just realized I have my own double-standard going on. When I was younger I enjoyed several of the usual 'bodice rippers' where circumstances got the heroine ravished against her will, but then they kissed and made up later on. It was almost a formula for a while there.

I think I really mean from how I see double standards in how from within bdsm 'community' fiction is accepted or not and that one of the complaints is that 'that book' gives BDSM poor representation then.....this book drove it home for me....its not a fair criticism of that ( bad) book. ( stick to the terrible writing complaints, because they surely are!)

Ah, ok.

I've just started October's book. It's a pleasant yet interesting contrast to the last one. There is still a level of reluctance here, but it's not as overwhelming, and leaves the door open to seduction (so far). I like seduction a lot more than kidnapping. :cattail:

Graceanne, I definitely see your point about what can be misconstrued in terms of giving BDSM a bad name. Perception is ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Even the more loving ("softer") kink novels pick up plenty of indignation at times. (I admit it, I have a semi-hobby of reading reviews on Amazon.) And now, of course, I'm very curious about "worse" non-con BDSM books. :rolleyes:

I've just realized I have my own double-standard going on. When I was younger I enjoyed several of the usual 'bodice rippers' where circumstances got the heroine ravished against her will, but then they kissed and made up later on. It was almost a formula for a while there.

I loved those. lol Unfortunately, I'm pickier than I used to be, cause those are a dime a dozen.

I think also, my anger probably highlights some of my own unresolved issues about how I feel about my own kink. That's what anger is often about really.

Very possible. Or maybe you just don't like the book - which is okay, too. We've done quite a few books I don't like. Gordon, comes to mind. Hated it. When it comes to fiction, and especially erotica, people have really strong likes and dislikes. If you don't like noncon fiction that is totally okay. I personally won't read books that revolve around marital infidelities - it hits a hot button with me.

I disliked Gordon as well.

Haven't started the October book yet but I do have it.

About the last book, I found it funny when she freaked out on her birthday. Why did she freak? Because her vision of herself and what she should do was greater than how she really felt. That was a "real" kind of moment for me to read about humans.

Ah, ok.

I loved those. lol Unfortunately, I'm pickier than I used to be, cause those are a dime a dozen.

Very possible. Or maybe you just don't like the book - which is okay, too. We've done quite a few books I don't like. Gordon, comes to mind. Hated it. When it comes to fiction, and especially erotica, people have really strong likes and dislikes. If you don't like noncon fiction that is totally okay. I personally won't read books that revolve around marital infidelities - it hits a hot button with me.

I disliked Gordon as well.

Haven't started the October book yet but I do have it.

About the last book, I found it funny when she freaked out on her birthday. Why did she freak? Because her vision of herself and what she should do was greater than how she really felt. That was a "real" kind of moment for me to read about humans.

Yeah, that part was kinda weird. I didn't dislike it, but it did hit a kinda 'huh?' in me.

I plan to start the October book sometime late this week.

I think I really mean from how I see double standards in how from within bdsm 'community' fiction is accepted or not and that one of the complaints is that 'that book' gives BDSM poor representation then.....this book drove it home for me....its not a fair criticism of that ( bad) book. ( stick to the terrible writing complaints, because they surely are!)

I started it last night because I am too close to finishing the book I'm reading. I decided to start the new one before finishing so I won't feel too bereft and it isn't such a difficult transition. Welp, didn't finish the other one because the BDSM BOTM for October 2015 made me want to keep reading. A GOOD sign! :D

I started it last night because I am too close to finishing the book I'm reading. I decided to start the new one before finishing so I won't feel too bereft and it isn't such a difficult transition. Welp, didn't finish the other one because the BDSM BOTM for October 2015 made me want to keep reading. A GOOD sign! :D

Yay! I liked this one better than the last one, that's for sure. I have high hopes for the next one. :D

Poll:

Would you take a book that got you hot on a trip that you would not have sex or even masturbate during?!?

Poll:

Would you take a book that got you hot on a trip that you would not have sex or even masturbate during?!?

Hm, I don't think that would be a factor in my decision.
I try to avoid books that I know will make me bawl like a baby when I will be reading in public and I try to choose depending on how much focus I will need versus how much I will have.

The Master by Kresley Cole

Loved it.

Well. I guess positive, although that's complicated. She's definitely being held against her consent, but the sex and the kink were always completely consensual. The sex part of the bdsm was very positive and fun, that's for sure.

Rawr. :eek:

Yep. I'm sure there were a few things that bugged me, but overall I thought the story was interesting and the plot kept moving, which I appreciated. Often erotica plot lines are tedious and I end up skimming the book.

I don't think she's got anything I haven't read. Although, I could be wrong on that.

I liked the characters the best. Especially Cat, although whatshername - Natalie's best friend? She cracked me up. lol

Um. Well, to be honest, I find it really unlikely for a man who's only ever had sex with prostitutes to suddenly become a one girl kind of guy. People don't just change, and if this was real life I'd bet that ten years down the line, after a few kids, when things got stressful he'd go looking for easy, no-demands, sex again. But that's the great thing about books - they are finite and we can pretend that happily ever after exists.

Nothing comes to mind, offhand.

Last edited:
Yes, very much.

Welll, the set-up was on the fantasy side, but the dynamics were described reasonably well.

Ohhh yeah!

Again, more than a little on the fantastical side, but it was a fun adventure.

Yes

Cat wasn't a pushover. She knew herself and was fairly honest with herself about her needs and her situation. Her internal dialogs were amusing.

Some of the improbabilities, but hey, it's fiction!

I can't think of anything I would have changed.

I just wanted to say that I agree with Graceanne and Elle...Jessica is a hoot! I think, within these two books, she is my overall favorite character. :)

So, it's a pretty safe bet that the next book will be about the third brother. I wonder if he's going to hook up with Jessica?

Back