To Capture a Captain's Heart (closed)

Kayla helped direct Helga in the packing of her clothing as well as enough for Christopher. It seemed to be a daunting task and it made her sad that their plans had been changed so suddenly. Still, she was a queen and it was her duty to help anyone who needed it. That included her fellow monarchs.

When they were finished packing, Kayla sat down in her office, letting out a long breath as she tried to relax. Her hand rested on her belly, her thoughts still swirling. She hoped for Kjotva's sake that they found her as fast as possible.
 
Their arrival in the port of Malmo brought news of the frantic and terrified steward who was barely holding his own and holding back the raging Swedish warriors from charging off to Russia to capture the prince and demand answers. Kayla saw rather than heard that Elhardt had brought most of the Danish Armada, the ships brimming with soldiers and traditional warriors itching for a fight like the Swedes. When the Norwegian royal escort finally arrived at Kjotva's longhall at the top of a high hill overlooking the town, they found Elhardt there with his eldest son of seventeen, Erasmus, both in armor and ready to march to war.

"Kayla," Elhardt turned as she entered, embracing her tightly before meeting her gaze. "More news has arrived. The Russian Prince has announced plans to marry Kjotva and take Sweden as its king and make it part of Russia when he becomes Grand Prince. Kjotva's father is already on his way to strike, but he's going to fail to sheer numbers if we don't get out there right now."
 
Last edited:
Kayla did not like the news that awaited her in Malmo as Elhardt explained that Kjotva was in real danger. There was a war brewing when everything could have easily been avoided. She let out a long sigh as she thought about their options.

"Have you spoke with the Russian prince? Perhaps he can be reasoned with." She told her brother king in a gentle voice. "Elhardt, Norway will stand behind you in this, but we have only just begun healing after Olaf. I don't think heading into war is in anyone's best interest."
 
"He refuses to bargain with me or Bardsson. You can have a go, but I don't think you'll have much luck," Elhardt sighed. "Sweden's warriors are already taking ships of their own accord to gather in Lithuania. From what I understand, they're waiting for orders but they refuse to leave until Kjotva is safe. They also prefer that the prince be dead, but if we can resolve this I'm sure we can talk them out of Monomahk's death. He's likely going to send forces to meet the Swedes and if we hurry, we may be able to stop a conflict and talk to the commanding general about a meeting with the prince."
 
Last edited:
"Then let's be off. If we can fend off bloodshed, I would like to go that route. There is no need for senseless death." Kayla said, exhausted beyond belief, but knowing that her country was depending on her whether she was with child or not.
 
"We're staying here the night for the sake of some final preparations, and I understand from my spymaster that someone is on his way to meet us tomorrow morning to offer help. I'm not sure who it is, but my spymaster insists that this man's company is some manner of mercenary group that once worked for Monomahk and can give us information about Russian strategy and offer translators should we need them." Elhardt then fixed Kayla with a steely though worried gaze. "Besides... it's best we- more you- get all the rest we can before we walk into what might be your first conflict. If I'm honest, Kayla... I think it may be absolute war for the Triad."
 
"Just for a few hours." Kayla finally agreed, glancing towards Christopher and knowing that it would be longer than a few hours if he had his way. "I expect the reports from your spy masters to be delivered to my chambers. I wish to read and plan as much as I possibly can."

She had learned from her brothers that strategy was what would save her in the long run. It would save Norway from complete and total destruction. She would not lead them into a needless war if she could help it.
 
"Go on," Elhardt ushered her away and Christopher took her hand. Christopher encouraged her to sleep and didn't wake her until nearly six hours later when the spies' reports came in. Apparently a couple spies in Russia had been captured though it seemed they retained their loyalties and didn't give up anything to Monomakh. However, the reports detailed the Prince's preparations for both a wedding and an execution. Either Kjotva would marry him and give him Sweden, or she'd die and he'd take it by force. There were three places the spies believed Kjotva might be, all of them locked away in the Prince's home city of Kiev. He was in his late 50's and a favorite of the Russian people, in line to become Grand Prince of Rus in Kiev not by family ties, but by popularity, which was the highest position a man could have as there were no Kings or Emperors in Russia, only Grand Princes of regions and cities.

The reports detailed the general Kievan love for Monomakh, but also his history of successful military campaigns and his incredible fortitude against his brothers who'd been warring to become Grand Princes themselves. The reports also detailed rumors that Kjotva had still not given Monomakh her answer as to whether she'd marry or die, and he'd given her until March 19th to answer him. If she chose death or remained silent, he would execute her on the Spring Equinox to hurt her people that much more as a little more than half of Sweden was Lunasian and the Spring Equinox was the Lunar New Year, one of the most beloved and holy days on the Lunar calendar. It would absolutely destroy them and any Lunasian friends of Sweden.
 
The news that Kayla received from the spy masters made her sick to her stomach. Her heart ached for her sister queen and she knew just what a difficult situation she was in. Being forced to marry someone you didn't love for the sake of your kingdom was never a welcome event.

Glancing up as the door to the room opened, she gave a slight smile to her husband as he entered with a tray of food. He had been so good to her since her announcement that a child was on the way. He paid attention to what foods turned her stomach and what made her happy. As he placed the tray on the table beside her, she saw a scone, a cup of tea, and a hearty beef stew.

"Thank you, Chris." She said softly as she kissed his cheek warmly.
 
"Sure, love," Chris kissed her in return and settled beside her. "So... what's th'news?" He looked down at the papers she'd been given, his brow furrowing in concern. "I haven't heard about much more'n what I'll be facin' if it comes to fighting. Ulfric an' Elhardt are makin' sure our men'll be ready for Russia if they need t'be."
 
Last edited:
"It doesn't look good and I hope that decisions aren't made rashly." Kayla said, picking up her bowl of stew to start eating. "I have hopes that this can be solved peacefully."

She handed Christopher the papers that she had been given, watching him as he read through the messages that the spy masters had gathered. This seemed so much bigger than the fight for Inverness had been.
 
Christopher's expression grew ever more worried as he read over Kjotva's condition, her silence, and Vladhimir Monomahk's popularity. Being a favorite of the people of Kiev and other regions of Russia, he was sure to gather volunteer soldiers and recruit plenty of full-time soldiers in preparation for war. He probably already had, as the Triad's intent to get Kjotva back was certainly not a secret.

"Damn..." Chris sighed. "If it comes to fighting, we're going to see a lot of innocent civilians picking up swords for Monomahk... because of who Kjotva is and who her husband and son were and how they fought... the Kievans probably think Monomahk is a hero. It's to be expected, I suppose... Regardless of the circumstances, loyal subjects think their leader's worst deeds are his most heroic. I can't imagine how Kjotva must feel, being told to marry her husband and son's killer or die herself..." He then looked to Kayla, knowing that his wife had a very good idea of said feeling.
 
"Kjotva can take care of herself." She said softly, her appetite suddenly gone as she placed the half eaten bowl aside and looked to her husband with a long sigh. "She will need our help when we reach her. I can only imagine what she is having to put up with."
 
Christopher laid the papers aside and hugged Kayla tightly. He didn't have to say it to let her know that Kjotva's situation was reminding him of her own with Olaf. He could only hope for Kjotva's sake that Monomahk was kinder than Olaf.

The next morning they set out immediately across the Baltic with plans to land on friendly Lithuanian shores. The King of Lithuania would not meet them, but he'd been a long-term friend of Elhardt and allowed the royals and their men to pass through peacefully. Russia, being a grand region and not a country, was dominated by a kingdom called the Kievan Rus where Monomahk resided and would one day be Grand Prince, and Lithuania was its northernmost neighbor aside from Sweden. An area known as Finland was held by the Kievan Rus, but was filled with Scandinavians more loyal to the Triad than the Kievan Rus. Many of these Finns were rumored to be taking up arms to join the Triad if war came about.

It was a long journey to the eastern border of Lithuania but certainly not a boring one what with news coming every day and the Lithuanian people offering what they could to speed the royals' journey, even offering fresh horses and fixing carriage and cart wheels with little or no charge. When they reached the border, they met a massive military camp that looked poised to strike a Lithuanian border city. Banners of the Kievan Rus and its Grand Prince flew high over the hardy tents, but there was no sign of Monomahk's influence there. It seemed the current Grand Prince, old as he was, was going to start a war with Lithuania as well as the Triad.

Christopher stopped the royal company as they came to the border. He looked to Kayla and Elhardt. "Both of you stay here. Don't come out in the open until I come get you."

"Chris-" Elhardt half-growled.

"No. This is my job, Elhardt, to protect. They're getting armed and ready at the sight of our men, I need to ride out and talk with them and see if I can't keep anyone from getting killed today. Their commanding officer can give me a better idea of what we're facing and whether we can talk to Monomahk." Elhardt sighed, knowing how seriously Christopher took his job and how he considered himself protector of more than just Norway what with the Triad now. Straightening his uniform, Christopher pressed a kiss to Kayla's cheek and climbed into his horse's saddle, leaving the royal carriage behind while Uther stood watch and two armored men rode out with Chris. One carried a white banner for peace, and the other was a translator who spoke the Kievan dialect.
 
Kayla didn't want to watch Christopher go. She gritted her teeth against saying anything as he kissed her cheek and exited the carriage to negotiate. She looked at Elhardt, knowing that he was struggling as well. She wasn't going to sit by while Christopher put himself in danger. There was no way she could bear that.

"I have to go." She murmured softly as she reached out for the door and pushed it open, stepping to the ground before her guard could help her.
 
"Kayla," Elhardt followed her and caught her hand. "He'll be alright, but he'll be more at risk if you go out there. If they're tempted at all to capture you, they will if you walk right into their hands. For Christopher's sake, you have to stay. If things go well, he'll bring the commanding officer to us."
 
"It's easy for you to say. He's not your husband." Kayla lashed out, her fear and worry for Christopher showing on her face.

She had almost lost him once and that sorrow was something that she never wanted to live through again. Elhardt wouldn't understand how stubborn she could really be. She was a Ghis. It ran thick in her veins.
 
"I know... I'd do the same if it were my wife." Elhardt sighed and gave in, electing to join her and at least keep her safe if he couldn't stop her. So they rode out together with a guard each, finding Christopher talking quite seriously but peacefully with the opposing general. Christopher looked up in alarm to see Kayla and Elhardt, and quickly excused himself to stop the two.

"Kayla!" Christopher growled in worry. "What the hell are you two doing?"
 
"I'm exercising my right as queen." Kayla said simply as she pulled her steed up next to her husband. "And making sure that I never lose you again. For the record, Elhardt tried to stop me."
 
Before Christopher could scold her and tell her just how foolish this stunt was, the opposing general stepped forward with quite the annoyed expression and a very fine grasp of English- "This is all very touching, but I have a job to do and a wife and children to get home to. So, I suggest you tell me your demands or whatever it is you're holding me up for, so that can do my job and go home." As he said this, he nodded in the direction of the border town his men were readying to attack. "I do not have time for the petty marital issues of Scandinavian Nobles, especially usurpers."

That set Elhardt off, but he held his temper in check as he growled through nearly clenched teeth, "I'll have you know, General, that Kayla Ghis is one of the very few legitimate heirs ever to take over Norway, and you will not disrespect her nor regard her as anything less."

"Fine, a Scottish dog made Scandinavian brute." If Christopher and Elhardt hadn't already been fuming at this man, they certainly were now, but Ulfric had the sense still about him to grab Elhardt's horse's reins and Christopher's shoulder to hold them both back. The Kievan general apparently found this amusing and shifted his weight casually to one leg and crossed his arms. "So? I'm listening, Queen Kayla, King Elhardt. I will not bandy words with your... lackey, Lord Protector, whatever he is. He's only a Captain, after all."

Despite a bruise to his pride and a doubt when he hadn't yet proven himself as a general, Christopher kept silent. Elhardt opted to let Kayla speak before he exploded.
 
Last edited:
Kayla leveled the man in front of her with a withering gaze that she had learned from her brothers. Even as Christopher and Elhardt were held back, she pushed her steed forward to look at the man closer. Her dark eyes assessed him from head to toe, showing him no fear.

"And I should be scared of you, "General"? A man who hides behind his army with a pretty little uniform who looks as if he hasn't seen a day of hard battle in many, many months." Kayla murmured, her dark eyes locking on his own. "I do not think your prince would appreciate you talking to two fellow rulers as such, especially when he knows that he is outnumbered. If he didn't believe that he would be here right now. So, you shall either be civil in this matter or you shall send someone else to negotiate."

She went to jerk her horse back around by the reigns to leave when she paused, looking at him once more. "You show your weakness, General. A wife and children? Certainly not information you should share with an invading force. Especially being as they live a short distance away in Kiev, correct? Maria, your wife. Dmirti, Petra, and Basil your children. How safe do you think they really are?"
 
Hearing Kayla speak his family's names, the general suddenly drew his saber from its sheathe, which prompted Christopher and Uther to draw their own blades. "You watch yourself, Highland witch," the general snarled as he leveled the saber blade toward Kayla. "You will not enter the Kievan Rus while I stand. And I'll have you know Prince Monomahk agrees. My brothers stand ready to fight with me and keep your Viking barbarians away until their Queen gives up Sweden, or dies like the dog she is."

Christopher looked to Kayla then. They had a fight on their hands whether they'd wanted it or not. Her word was all he needed to get everyone ready to fight their way to Kiev.
 
"We will walk peacefully into the city." Kayla said calmly as she glanced towards Christopher and calmly kicked her horse into a trot.

It was madness but she spared a glance towards the general as she passed him and made her way across the unspoken line of battle.
 
"If you go into that city," the general snarled, "you'll die with them when I burn it to the ground!"

"And I will defend my ally," Elhardt snapped back at him before their group headed back toward the Lithuanian city, its residents looking on with worry from the borders. The general returned to his own men, preparing the attack once more.
 
"We will not attack." Kayla said to the men that flanked her on their ride. "Let them come at us as they will. This will be put down as peacefully as possible."
 
Back
Top