Etiquette at a (drinking) bar?

erotica_n_s, you started this thread a month ago - how many times have you been to a pub or club in that time?

Stop over analysing absolutely everything yet continue to do simply nothing about them - you live in the UK, the land of pubs - step through the doors of one tonight.

Stop romanticising and fantasising about common everyday activities - just do them.

Night, I read that as the land of pubes because I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, and snorted I was laughing so hard. :D

Etiquette ...

Don't get sloppy drunk

Don't be weird

Don't be creepy

Don't attempt to bend any rules after you're told them

Don't wonder why a regular gets special favors and you don't

Don't insult people, if a problem occurs with someone, politely excuse yourself, servers/bartenders are not referees, part of their job is not to get people out of fights once fights have started.

Don't give a drunk your honest opinion if you know it will lead to a fight (verbal or otherwise)

Don't hit on someone else's girl

Don't ask the servers or bartenders about tips, don't explain your tips, don't argue about the tips you leave

Don't become infatuated with a server and attempt to take up all their time

Don't sit in a space meant for 4 if you're just 1 (unless it's dead night)

Don't attempt to hold a long conversation with a server if it's a busy night, this includes asking endless questions about cocktails, beers, wines ... there is so many, do some research before hand

If you start drinking with a stranger, make sure people know what drinks you plan to pay for

There is probably more ... use common sense and if you start to feel you're losing that common sense, stop drinking.

A whiskey sour, or a gin fizz are good.

It may sound a little strange, but there is a manga titled "Bartender" that talks about different drinks and what goes into them. You can find it at http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Bartender.

As others have mentioned, slow and steady is the best way to drink. One drink per hour (one beer, glass of wine or mixed drink here in the States) will keep you relatively sober. Definitely plan ahead of time how you will get home.

Stay away from Long Island Iced Tea or Mojo. The first looks, smells and tastes like iced tea, but is pure alcohol. Mojo is the same way, but tastes like fruit punch.

Good points here

Etiquette ...

Don't get sloppy drunk

Don't be weird

Don't be creepy

Don't attempt to bend any rules after you're told them

Don't wonder why a regular gets special favors and you don't

Don't insult people, if a problem occurs with someone, politely excuse yourself, servers/bartenders are not referees, part of their job is not to get people out of fights once fights have started.

Don't give a drunk your honest opinion if you know it will lead to a fight (verbal or otherwise)

Don't hit on someone else's girl

Don't ask the servers or bartenders about tips, don't explain your tips, don't argue about the tips you leave

Don't become infatuated with a server and attempt to take up all their time

Don't sit in a space meant for 4 if you're just 1 (unless it's dead night)

Don't attempt to hold a long conversation with a server if it's a busy night, this includes asking endless questions about cocktails, beers, wines ... there is so many, do some research before hand

If you start drinking with a stranger, make sure people know what drinks you plan to pay for

There is probably more ... use common sense and if you start to feel you're losing that common sense, stop drinking.

I've learnt a lot drinking in pubs :cool:

stop over analysing things - just do - just live life. If it feels good and you are harming no one, continue. If you are uncomfortable, stop.

I am with NightL - I had to admit I didn't really pay attention to who the original poster was (gender, age, etc) until I started reading some of the responses. So many rules! Who cares? I mean I don't know what kind of places you are going to and that may, of course, dictate things a bit but I'd never let it stop me from going alone if I really wanted to go (and I HAVE gone to have a drink alone on an occasion or two myself). In fact, recently a friend and I were so intrigued by the attractive man sitting at the bar alone reading that we struck up a conversation with him about his book. I don't know if it was a pick-up gimmick or what but it definitely got us to approach him!

If you sit quietly next to the place where the servers order their drinks from a bartender (a server station) you can get quite an education watching and listening.

Also, women like to order drinks that have a sexual connotation. Blow Job, Sex on the Beach, Slippery Nipple are a few. They flirt with the bartender this way. Also, any men within earshot hear them - and then they feel free to ask "what is a Blow Job?"

I recently started sipping Red Stag, which is a relatively new whiskey. It is sweet. It is Jim Beam infused with black cherries. Nice as a base for a Manhattan. I tell the bartender to forget the sweet vermouth and use only dry.

Also, women like to order drinks that have a sexual connotation. Blow Job, Sex on the Beach, Slippery Nipple are a few. They flirt with the bartender this way. Also, any men within earshot hear them - and then they feel free to ask "what is a Blow Job?"

I recently started sipping Red Stag, which is a relatively new whiskey. It is sweet. It is Jim Beam infused with black cherries. Nice as a base for a Manhattan. I tell the bartender to forget the sweet vermouth and use only dry.

Agh! CERTAIN women like ordering drinks with a sexual connotation. Honestly, that's not my style. ;)

Agh! CERTAIN women like ordering drinks with a sexual connotation. Honestly, that's not my style. ;)

From my experience behind the bar, all the 'sex drinks' are ordered by younger people new to being legal and they usual start with 'what's in a sex in the beach' and they end with me telling them 'try a cum in a hottub'. It's fun for them. When older people do it, they are tipsy and it's more about having some 'crazy fun' before they have to be responsible and parents again.

You'll get more blow jobs on a birthday (haha) than you will during a any other time. Most people order what they know or heard, not what the bartender knows. 100's of hours wasted on learning amazing drinks that never get ordered and in truth, you really don't want to make. You learn them and try them on your down time.

Lemon drops were popular and kamakazi's, but I think drinks were popular based on how easy the name was remembered. Unless you specialize in house drinks, bartenders could get by on about 10 memorized shots and book for reference.

From my experience behind the bar, all the 'sex drinks' are ordered by younger people new to being legal and they usual start with 'what's in a sex in the beach' and they end with me telling them 'try a cum in a hottub'. It's fun for them. When older people do it, they are tipsy and it's more about having some 'crazy fun' before they have to be responsible and parents again.

You'll get more blow jobs on a birthday (haha) than you will during a any other time. Most people order what they know or heard, not what the bartender knows. 100's of hours wasted on learning amazing drinks that never get ordered and in truth, you really don't want to make. You learn them and try them on your down time.

Lemon drops were popular and kamakazi's, but I think drinks were popular based on how easy the name was remembered. Unless you specialize in house drinks, bartenders could get by on about 10 memorized shots and book for reference.

I have to admit I go with what I know or I'll ask for a wine recommendation - but I'm a beer/wine girl. I'll leave the hard stuff for the party animals who can probably handle their alcohol better than I can : )

Back