Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to spell Absorbtion and it's wrong. It's spelled absorb and I can't figure out why Absorbtion isn't working. I read it, and read it again, and I think, no way, this is too easy a word to screw up.

I finally run the spell check: It's spelled with a 'P' a fricking P! Absorption.

It's not like I didn't know that, but I didn't know that right then. Why does that happen—so often?

It happens to me too, and isn't just a function of increased age. From time to time over decades one particular word just LOOKS wrong. Recent examples have been:

Rhythm
Ecstasy
Discreet (not Discrete)

and one that used to annoy me in my early twenties. I could never accept that the trade name was right:

Persil

I kept thinking Persil should be Pursil. Why? I don't know. Like the other words sometimes it just didn't seem that the correct spelling was appropriate.

I'm trying to spell Absorbtion and it's wrong. It's spelled absorb and I can't figure out why Absorbtion isn't working. I read it, and read it again, and I think, no way, this is too easy a word to screw up.

I finally run the spell check: It's spelled with a 'P' a fricking P! Absorption.

It's not like I didn't know that, but I didn't know that right then. Why does that happen—so often?

It's a case of phonetic concordance. It doesn't always show up in our spelling of things, but it is there in the speaking. In this case, the 'b' of 'absorb' is a voiced consonant, but in 'absorption,' the 't' is an unvoiced consonant. If you make the 'b' sound, but don't voice it, you get a 'p.' (if you want to feel the difference, put your fingers on your throat and pronounce the two sounds in succession; you'll feel your throat vibrate with the 'b' and not with the 'p,' though both are produced by the same lip and tongue position, Do the same with 't,' and you'll find no vibration. Vibrate it, and you'll get a 'd'). When one sound is modified to go with another, it's called phonetic concordance. We do it all the time without changing the spelling; the plural of dog is spelled dogs, but the 's' is pronounced as 'z' to concord with the voiced consonant 'g.'

Yes, I have studied linguistics. At C.U.N.Y. I am truly a CUNYlinguist.:D

Voicing assimilation?
I remember how to spell rhyme because of why me rhymes- pairs of words that are spelled like they should rhyme (like why me and rhyme if you look at them) but don't.

It's a case of phonetic concordance. It doesn't always show up in our spelling of things, but it is there in the speaking. In this case, the 'b' of 'absorb' is a voiced consonant, but in 'absorption,' the 't' is an unvoiced consonant. If you make the 'b' sound, but don't voice it, you get a 'p.' (if you want to feel the difference, put your fingers on your throat and pronounce the two sounds in succession; you'll feel your throat vibrate with the 'b' and not with the 'p,' though both are produced by the same lip and tongue position, Do the same with 't,' and you'll find no vibration. Vibrate it, and you'll get a 'd'). When one sound is modified to go with another, it's called phonetic concordance. We do it all the time without changing the spelling; the plural of dog is spelled dogs, but the 's' is pronounced as 'z' to concord with the voiced consonant 'g.'

Yes, I have studied linguistics. At C.U.N.Y. I am truly a CUNYlinguist.:D

Voicing assimilation?
I remember how to spell rhyme because of why me rhymes- pairs of words that are spelled like they should rhyme (like why me and rhyme if you look at them) but don't.

Mnemonics are such fun, particularly personal ones. I still think "we went to get her" for "we went together."

Twenty something drama is trying at best. Love my little ones. Six children and I only squeezed one out. I'm a lucky woman to have so much love in my life.

After 22 published story submissions on Lit, the sex scene I just wrote was the first one that left me needing, shall we say, some personal time when I finished it.

I really do intend to write again. The plot bunnies are piling up. Where is critical mass?

When The Muses start kicking you out of bed in the early hours of the morning.
I have an LW-inciting cycle I can't speak of because it'll be under a hermitic alt. I have continuations of unfinished series and fragments. I have stroker items and obsessions. I have sardonic twists. All I lack is the juice to do-em. I wish my voices were louder

After 22 published story submissions on Lit, the sex scene I just wrote was the first one that left me needing, shall we say, some personal time when I finished it.

I can't write a sex scene unless I am on the edge to begin with.

Neologism (remember, when the O.E.D. asks, you first saw it here and I was its creator):

Sextasy.

(a portmanteau of "sexual" and "fantasy")

If I saw the word "sextasy" I would take it to mean really good sex--combining sex with ecstasy.

She said she loves me. We've been friends since we were 13 (31 years, do the math) and we've never said that. She's a friend, nothing more, but it's the most important I love you that I've ever gotten. It brought me to tears because she's more important to who I am than anyone I've ever been sleeping with. Who knew at my age I would understand this.

She said she loves me. We've been friends since we were 13 (31 years, do the math) and we've never said that. She's a friend, nothing more, but it's the most important I love you that I've ever gotten. It brought me to tears because she's more important to who I am than anyone I've ever been sleeping with. Who knew at my age I would understand this.

:rose: :heart: Lovely.

I awoke to a terrible nightmare.

I was trying to decipher a GB troll post.

What a screaming mess!

Moral: No opioids before bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back