Who's seen this noir poem?

Desiremakesmeweak

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Posts
2,060
I don't really know who wrote it - I got it off a comment on a YouTube noir cartoon video.


Here it is:

Noire Night… Curling smoke, old cigar, Dusty ashtray, familiar bar, Hey barkeep, one last shot, Nickel in the jukebox slot, Pay the tab, slip outside, Misty darkness, distance hide, Footsteps echo, slowly fade, Haze of street lamp, dark of shade, Pitter patter, starts to rain, Reminded of familiar pain, Trench coat on, fedora top, Wetly walking, pass bus stop, Turn on Main Street, neon lights, Street reflection, just as bright, On the sidewalk, pass the hustle, Skirt the park, tall trees rustle, To the building, few yards away, Place to work, place to stay, Unlock door, up the stairs, Busy janitor, unawares, Slip in office, close the door, peer out window, at the shore, In the distance, city lights, Shadows walking, in the night, Coat and hat, hang on rack, Stretching yawn, kink in back, Loosen tie, shoes on floor, pour a nightcap, lock the door, Open file, in desk lamp light, Close it again, not tonight, Hello desk, meet my face, Tomorrow it's another case.
 
Not familiar. It works surprisingly well for something rhymey. It had me thinking of a Dire Straights song.
 
Not particularly - 'poetic' in the conventional sense, is it ?
Is it supposed to have no full stops ?
Perhaps it's neo-cubist ?
 
Not particularly - 'poetic' in the conventional sense, is it ?
Is it supposed to have no full stops ?
Perhaps it's neo-cubist ?

Nah I just copy-pasted it from the YouTube comments section and it auto-formatted like that.

Maybe I should re-do it as it was.
 
Here it is, as the original:

It was posted originally by a guy calling himself 'Perktube1.' And it looks like he might have been the author.


Noire Night…
Curling smoke, old cigar,
Dusty ashtray, familiar bar,
Hey barkeep, one last shot,
Nickel in the jukebox slot,
Pay the tab, slip outside,
Misty darkness, distance hide,
Footsteps echo, slowly fade,
Haze of street lamp, dark of shade,
Pitter patter, starts to rain,
Reminded of familiar pain,
Trench coat on, fedora top,
Wetly walking, pass bus stop,
Turn on Main Street, neon lights,
Street reflection, just as bright,
On the sidewalk, pass the hustle,
Skirt the park, tall trees rustle,
To the building, few yards away,
Place to work, place to stay,
Unlock door, up the stairs,
Busy janitor, unawares,
Slip in office, close the door,
peer out window, at the shore,
In the distance, city lights,
Shadows walking, in the night,
Coat and hat, hang on rack, Stretching yawn, kink in back,
Loosen tie, shoes on floor,
pour a nightcap, lock the door,
Open file, in desk lamp light,
Close it again, not tonight,
Hello desk, meet my face,
Tomorrow it's another case.
 
That's the one. If I can ever write evocatively as Knopfler, I'm done here. Give him 100 words and he'll describe a lifetime.

But with enough instrumentals to fill it out to fourteen minutes ;-)

My partner used to be a DJ, back in the days when you couldn't just set up a playlist and leave it to run overnight. "Telegraph Road" was the one they'd play when they needed a good long break, although the long quiet intro tended to trip the "dead air" warnings.

Hm, as long as we're talking noir songs, it'd be a shame not to mention Tom Waits. Dead and Lovely fits the bill.
 
Back
Top