Back to Vegas!! Wooot! What to see out west?

I say go through Death Valley in middle of summer. It's not really bad, the name was given as a joke. It was supposed to be called 'The valley of rainbows, hugs, and cuddles' IIRC...

Kidding aside....I've been through twice and it's nice to be able to say I've seen it....but didn't get much more value from it than that...

Driving from Vegas to West coast is boring at best...just one accident F's it all up too. Although you do pass Zzyzx road,,,,I can't drive by there without screaming 'ZZYZX' for some reason...

Vegas Saturday night and Sunday night... then I'm going to California early Monday. Still haven't fully formed my plan yet. Getting tons of great advice...so good that I'll need a freakin month!!

But I gotta be back in Vegas to fly out Friday morning early..

Hey...you gotta be flexible!!:)

Ok...next time I will be... Raincheck for Vegas with you and Joy...:D:heart:

That's not the ones I'm thinking of... I'm picturing the huge ones you can drive through.. No? Yes?

The only one I've ever seen that has a car tunnel through it is in Yosemite where the sequoias are. They don't let anyone drive through it anymore. :D

The redwoods at Muir are not the largest, but they're accessible. and coming from the midwest, they'll still be the biggest damn trees you've ever seen.

My next trip out there I want to go up to Humboldt.

The only one I've ever seen that has a car tunnel through it is in Yosemite where the sequoias are. They don't let anyone drive through it anymore. :D

The redwoods at Muir are not the largest, but they're accessible. and coming from the midwest, they'll still be the biggest damn trees you've ever seen.

My next trip out there I want to go up to Humboldt.

I looked up Yosemite... and it's closed for the winter.. that is what I was thinking of.

Now I'm wondering if I should go all the way up the coast.

Wherever you end up - my only other recommendation is rent a convertible. A Mustang. Not much extra cash and it'll make everything that much more fun.

Wherever you end up - my only other recommendation is rent a convertible. A Mustang. Not much extra cash and it'll make everything that much more fun.

That is a good idea.. and perhaps if I hadn't waited til freakin November to do it, well I probably would...lol

I say go through Death Valley in middle of summer. It's not really bad, the name was given as a joke. It was supposed to be called 'The valley of rainbows, hugs, and cuddles' IIRC...

Kidding aside....I've been through twice and it's nice to be able to say I've seen it....but didn't get much more value from it than that...

Driving from Vegas to West coast is boring at best...just one accident F's it all up too. Although you do pass Zzyzx road,,,,I can't drive by there without screaming 'ZZYZX' for some reason...

I'm not gonna be up that way to see Death Valley. I'm gonna go from Vegas to malibu and up the coast to San Francisco.

Can I get some advice on what part I MUST SEE of that?

Big Sur looks really cool.. and staying in a hotel is my next find... San Luis Obispo, Pismo or Monterey..

I'm not worried about it being boring from Vegas to around LA.. I was in the military, hurry up and wait is ingrained in me. lol

I'm not gonna be up that way to see Death Valley. I'm gonna go from Vegas to malibu and up the coast to San Francisco.

Can I get some advice on what part I MUST SEE of that?

Big Sur looks really cool.. and staying in a hotel is my next find... San Luis Obispo, Pismo or Monterey..

I'm not worried about it being boring from Vegas to around LA.. I was in the military, hurry up and wait is ingrained in me. lol

download road warrior and Trivago on your phone. That's what I did when I went from mo to Oregon and down to CA to Phoenix and then back to Mo. Unless you know you want to stay somewhere specifically for a reason. you can just look up a place when you think you want to stop and it uses your current gps location so you don't have to enter any info. And you can plan your entire route on road warrior.

Last edited by a moderator:
download road warrior and vrivago on your phone. That's what I did when I went from mo to Oregon and down to CA to Phoenix and then back to Mo. Unless you know you want to stay somewhere specifically for a reason. you can just look up a place when you think you want to stop and it uses your current gps location so you don't have to enter any info. And you can plan your entire route on road warrior.

Cool...I'm looking up those apps now. I've been checking out google maps and travelocity.. looking for how much time it calls for doing the drive.. and what hotel is where..

this is tough.. lol

Cool...I'm looking up those apps now. I've been checking out google maps and travelocity.. looking for how much time it calls for doing the drive.. and what hotel is where..

this is tough.. lol

helps if I spell it right. Trivago

Do I need to pay for that road warrior to use it?

Do you think absinthes advice to just see the redwoods at Muir Woods is enough to satisfy?

You do not need to pay for road warrior.

If you cant make it to redwood forest then Muir woods is good.

However, and this is just my opinion. If you can swing redwood forest do it. The mixture of the redwoods and the coastline is beautiful. And please stop an the outlets along the roads and take pictures. You wont be disappointed. But as I said its my favorite drive. I drove hours out of my way when I was back home just to take that drive.

You do not need to pay for road warrior.

If you cant make it to redwood forest then Muir woods is good.

However, and this is just my opinion. If you can swing redwood forest do it. The mixture of the redwoods and the coastline is beautiful. And please stop an the outlets along the roads and take pictures. You wont be disappointed. But as I said its my favorite drive. I drove hours out of my way when I was back home just to take that drive.

Man...it is such a long trip and so far out of the way.. and looks kinda off the beaten path..

Tell me what you think about this... Driving sunday from vegas to Malibu then up the coast to Morro Bay.. and stay the night.. then I need to figure out what then, but I know I wanna go up the coast through big sur from there and onto the golden gate, and probably muir woods.. kinda stuck there..:)

Man...it is such a long trip and so far out of the way.. and looks kinda off the beaten path..

Tell me what you think about this... Driving sunday from vegas to Malibu then up the coast to Morro Bay.. and stay the night.. then I need to figure out what then, but I know I wanna go up the coast through big sur from there and onto the golden gate, and probably muir woods.. kinda stuck there..:)

here look at this

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zAJkK18mI_Gw.kD5aexu7DIVU&hl=en

might give you some ideas

I get laid here plenty. :)

When I planned my first trip to Vegas which was last month, a buddy kept telling to me stay at the hotels where you could find hookers..he never did get it that I wasn't looking for that.. lol

I'd like to see San Diego.. I'm looking for sites to see, yanno? I'm thinking a drive up the coast up in Northern California would be awesome.. yes?
If you go into the SanFran area go to Muir Woods... go down to the wharf... spend some time in Golden Gate Park... take a few tours.. it really is a beautiful town.

If you go into the SanFran area go to Muir Woods... go down to the wharf... spend some time in Golden Gate Park... take a few tours.. it really is a beautiful town.

Thanks..I'm going over the Golden Gate and thanks to AF I'll go to Muir woods.. its the after that I gotta figure out. I'm not gonna spend all day in san fran, I dont think. I am on a time frame...

Thanks... I already have that part. I'm gonna stay in Morro Bay on Sunday night.. get up and drive the coast .

I'll go from Muir woods and see..

If you plan on spending the day in San Francisco and staying the night there. It would probably be best to park at the hotel and take public transportation in SF.

take a cable car and the bus and B.A.R.T if you can.

( Ok just read you aren't staying there. )

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan on spending the day in San Francisco and staying the night there. It would probably be best to park at the hotel and take public transportation in SF.

take a cable car and the bus and B.A.R.T if you can.

( Ok just read you aren't staying there. )
Public transportation in SF is the bomb! Was just there in May and I took it everywhere.

Thanks..I'm going over the Golden Gate and thanks to AF I'll go to Muir woods.. its the after that I gotta figure out. I'm not gonna spend all day in san fran, I dont think. I am on a time frame...

I guess you have to fly back out of Vegas because of your plane reservations? Seems like it would be simpler and give you more time if you just flew back out of San Francisco or someplace. You don't want to pack so much in you don't enjoy it.

I guess you have to fly back out of Vegas because of your plane reservations? Seems like it would be simpler and give you more time if you just flew back out of San Francisco or someplace. You don't want to pack so much in you don't enjoy it.

its five hours drive to Malibu. Flying to San Fran was double.

Have a great time Slinger...be safe...and return back with awesome stories of your road trip adventure!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Back