2009 Survivor Bonus Round Challenge #9: Back To School.

Lauren Hynde

Hitched
Once again, I apologize for the delay. It's unforgivable, I know. :(

Those halcyon days of summer are over, for those of us who live entrenched between two schools, one of which is 15 metres from our balcony, and the other 15 metres from our front door. Fun!

For this Survivor Bonus Round Challenge, your mission is to write a poem on a form of your choice - any form, as long as you have never written a poem using it before. The theme depicted should be something you learned during the current year.

You don't need to be participating in Survivor to take this challenge. If you are participating in Survivor, for your poem to be eligible for points under the Special Bonus Rounds heading, it needs to be submitted to Literotica.com and be posted between 09/09/2009 and 10/07/2009.

Feel free to use this thread to workshop this challenge, to banter about this challenge, to post links to your submissions to this challenge, and to give your opinion on poems submitted to this challenge.

Try looking around this site for something that isn't familiar. If you need help figuring out a specific form you find, we can go over it together here. :)

Once again, I apologize for the delay. It's unforgivable, I know. :(

Those halcyon days of summer are over, for those of us who live entrenched between two schools, one of which is 15 metres from our balcony, and the other 15 metres from our front door. Fun!

For this Survivor Bonus Round Challenge, your mission is to write a poem on a form of your choice - any form, as long as you have never written a poem using it before. The theme depicted should be something you learned during the current year.

You don't need to be participating in Survivor to take this challenge. If you are participating in Survivor, for your poem to be eligible for points under the Special Bonus Rounds heading, it needs to be submitted to Literotica.com and be posted between 09/09/2009 and 10/07/2009.

Feel free to use this thread to workshop this challenge, to banter about this challenge, to post links to your submissions to this challenge, and to give your opinion on poems submitted to this challenge.

Here. C'mere and bend over. I'll spank you if that'll make you feel better. No, not that kind of better. :mad:

Try looking around this site for something that isn't familiar. If you need help figuring out a specific form you find, we can go over it together here. :)

Welllllllllll snap I already found this site lol and another one with some very weird and wonderful named forms are any of them acceptable even if they are weird?

Once upon this forum a terrific poet who went by the name of Icingsugar made up a form called the Bob. I went searching for the thread in which the form was explained and many sample Bobs reside, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps Lauren or Liar (who as I recall wrote a very good Bob) will remember the thread or the form. :)

Some links are broken, some cover forms we've had, but some new ones too:

DORSIMBRA
Epistle
Lento
PLEIADES
Several Ode links, quite a few Asian forms.
No Bob form.
Looks like we got a trigger and several forms to go with!

Last edited:
Once upon this forum a terrific poet who went by the name of Icingsugar made up a form called the Bob. I went searching for the thread in which the form was explained and many sample Bobs reside, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps Lauren or Liar (who as I recall wrote a very good Bob) will remember the thread or the form. :)

Sounds fun I hope someone can find it. I thought of making one up myself but then wondered if someone would come along and say that's a thingamajig and you're not doing it right!

Some links are broken, some cover forms we've had, but some new ones too:

DORSIMBRA
Epistle
Lento
PLEIADES
Several Ode links, quite a few Asian forms.
No Bob form.
Looks like we got a trigger and several forms to go with!

I think I may have found one to have a go at fingers crossed lol

Sounds fun I hope someone can find it. I thought of making one up myself but then wondered if someone would come along and say that's a thingamajig and you're not doing it right!

I think I may have found one to have a go at fingers crossed lol

Well now you know that we are entirely open to you doing something like that. We'd just give you a hard time if you didn't stick to the form you made up, lol. :D

What about a rhymes at both ends double acrostic with a strict syllable count of 8 written in qaintrains? no nooooooo it's a joooooooke!

Well I've submitted I hope I did it right! and before you wonder at the speed you lot have families and jobs to attend to while I sit here a weak lump and write peculiar poetry!

What about a rhymes at both ends double acrostic with a strict syllable count of 8 written in qaintrains? no nooooooo it's a joooooooke!

Lol, don't tell Lauren! She's a little sadist and would likely make a bonus challenge out of it. :p

Oh Lordy friction in more ways than one!
Does relearn have a hypen in it i.e re-learn?

I don't believe it does Annie, but that's American usage. As an editor I learned (and am backed up, I know, by the Chicago Manual of Style and other style resources) that the only time you use a hyphen with "re" is when not doing so would result in two vowels next to each other. So, for example: "re-engineering" is hyphenated, while "relearn" is not. But you may do things differently in England. I can think of more than a few examples where English usage is different.

ETA: I know some sources would disagree with that, but that's how I learned it. :)

I don't believe it does Annie, but that's American usage. As an editor I learned (and am backed up, I know, by the Chicago Manual of Style and other style resources) that the only time you use a hyphen with "re" is when not doing so would result in two vowels next to each other. So, for example: "re-engineering" is hyphenated, while "relearn" is not. But you may do things differently in England. I can think of more than a few examples where English usage is different.

ETA: I know some sources would disagree with that, but that's how I learned it. :)

Oh good then because I didn't hyphenate it just thought I'd ask while I still had a chance to pull it and change it

Oh good then because I didn't hyphenate it just thought I'd ask while I still had a chance to pull it and change it

No you're fine. :kiss:

And the bottom line is that you could probably make a case for doing it either way, but I tend to go with what the Chicago Manual of Style says because I'm used to using it.

Back