A minor writing question

I refuse this line of thought ... there is writing and there is proper writing and then there is writing people want to read.

Writing should be manipulated however it must to present your ideas.

If want to type ... 'ron is an asshole' and write 'ron' in lower case 3/4 the time, there could be a reason. Is it right or wrong? Depends on your audience. If you have no audience, then yeah, it's wrong for most people.

I have no idea how your post relates to the one you quoted. But that's OK. I can just move on.
 
This entire thread is just priceless! Doesn't anyone besides me see the humor in it? Besides, why pick on poor Ron? :D ;)

Remember, this was a minor writing question.

God forbid that someone might ask a major writing question.
 
Remember, this was a minor writing question.

God forbid that someone might ask a major writing question.

And, as usual, it spent a lot of time responding to questions that weren't asked.
 
Do you really think a thread should begin and end with one question? Threads are thoughts, ideas, that should expand ones thinking. People didn't make the nuke because they didn't ask how gunpowder couldn't be made better. (Oh man, that's a bad example).


People didn't create floating candle balloons because they didn't want to fly.

I don't think a question that's asked should be ignored to instead answer a question that wasn't asked, no. But you can think anything you please.
 
One question can lead to multiple answers to one questions that has many answers.

You can't ask without thinking, 'If one plus one equals two, then does two plus two equal something' ...

I'm not arguing, if we were sharing beers, this would sound like a normal conversation.

I can see that you're practicing what you're preaching by just avoiding to respond to anything I'm posting. But that's fine; I've lost the interest I didn't have to begin with.
 
Remember, this was a minor writing question.

God forbid that someone might ask a major writing question.

Asking a writing question, major or minor, is one thing. You usually get a spot on answer from several very intelligent, reliable people. (Usually doesn't require more than 2 posts.) Asking for someone else to write, read, edit and critique your story for you here on AH boards before you post it is another matter entirely. I've seen this very same thing happen several times in the past few weeks.
LOL And, on more personal note to you, Notwise...I'm not speaking to you anymore! (Sniff) not after you said you wanted to hear from a woman on that other thread! :D WTH am I? Chopped liver??? :D
 
From a readers pov, the gang is very generic and not descriptive. I would give them a more unique name if you want to give them specific characteristics that come to mind each time we see the name. If you refer to them by that name, I would capitalize it. I think a little bit of writer's leeway can be used here.

Also I like treacherous. If you really are wanting to indicate that this group is full of pitfalls and you need to watch your step, then I think it's appropriate. You will need to back it up. Think Heathers, if you are going with the popularity theme.
 
If you actually think that, then you're ignoring everything I said. Without an open mind, you cannot learn. Enjoy being disinterested with new ideas.

I'm considering the distinct possibility that you're just drunk at the moment.
 
Oh, no, don't leave before you answer my question in post #26. :eek: What did your post have to do with the one you quoted. From that time forward all I got out of your posts was gobblygook.
 
Okay...so, why don't we all join together in a sing along? I'll start. 'Hello darkness my old friend'...(your turn)...'because a vision softly creeping, left its false teeth while I was sleeping...(hummhummhummm)...and echoes in the wells of silence....
Now, don't we all feel better? Wasn't that fun? Let's do another!
 
Last edited:
I'm partial to "A Hundred Broken Bottles of Hair Tonic on the Wall."
 
Yes, she can write it anyway she wants but she asked a question and I believe I have just as much right to answer as you do.

Bramblethorn; I believe the difference here is that, unlike your examples, she is the only one calling her group of friends, the gang.

If I name my cat "Felix" it's still a proper noun when I use it that way, even if nobody else uses that name.
 
If I name my cat "Felix" it's still a proper noun when I use it that way, even if nobody else uses that name.

Pay attention, Bramblethorn...you have to follow the logic here. If you name your cat Felix, but I don't recognize that as his proper name, and I say to Felix, "Come here, cat!"...'cat' would now be 'Cat'...or would it remain simply 'cat', or could it be "Felix The Cat"? with or without quotations? But, maybe I should just say, "Here, Kitty, Kitty!" or would it be kitty, kitty? with or without quotations? :confused:
 
Longer excerpt:

"The Gang" doesn't look right to me. Then again, "the gang" didn't look right to me either.

Just a thought – apart from all the comments this may be a good time to rethink the paragraph. Perhaps the over usage of the phrase is what looks wrong.
 
Pay attention, Bramblethorn...you have to follow the logic here. If you name your cat Felix, but I don't recognize that as his proper name, and I say to Felix, "Come here, cat!"...'cat' would now be 'Cat'...or would it remain simply 'cat', or could it be "Felix The Cat"? with or without quotations? But, maybe I should just say, "Here, Kitty, Kitty!" or would it be kitty, kitty? with or without quotations? :confused:

Depends how you're using it. If you're just using "cat" as a generic word, it remains "cat". But if you decide that it's also going to be your personal name for this particular feline, then it's "Cat" when so used.

That's pretty much what happened in Red Dwarf: the sole surviving descendant of the ship's cat is named Cat.
 
Yet you responded... why is that? If it's of no interest, let it pass. The topic is clearly beneath you.

He responded to the original question. The person he was responding to was clearly being argumentative. One might ask why you replied other than to take a jab at Pilot. Again.
 
Back
Top