"Because it's there."

If you really wanna do that shit around here, you just wait for a nice windy day and drive up the mountain to Glen Alps. You can get windburned and snowblind all fucking day, and then, drive down the mountain for a shower, a beer and good food.

This made me laugh. It's like Disney Does Mountaineering.

A couple hundred yards from the parking lot, you can dig a snow cave for camping or freeze your ass in a tent. Just don't do it in the middle of the trail.

Sounds more and more like Mt Washington. Take the train up, get frostbite, get blown off your feet, hitch a ride down the autoroad...

Sounds more and more like Mt Washington. Take the train up, get frostbite, get blown off your feet, hitch a ride down the autoroad...

Or, Turnagain Pass. Some people build snow caves within a snowball throw of the car. :eyeroll:

But, by sweating a bit, you can get to some really nice protected areas for winter camping.

Or, Turnagain Pass. Some people build snow caves within a snowball throw of the car. :eyeroll:

But, by sweating a bit, you can get to some really nice protected areas for winter camping.

That only makes sense as a training exercise. Speaking of which, I hope this year we have enough snow for an igloo. I keep wanting to build one in the yard and getting swatted.

That only makes sense as a training exercise. Speaking of which, I hope this year we have enough snow for an igloo. I keep wanting to build one in the yard and getting swatted.

One winter, the wind packed the driveway so hard, I had to use a snow saw to cut it in blocks to clear it. We had numerous snow structures that year. When the kiddos were small, they always built snowcaves.

That big-assed rock is still there. It didn't wash away in the recent floods.

47212_521743774519673_1707300682_n.jpg

One winter, the wind packed the driveway so hard, I had to use a snow saw to cut it in blocks to clear it. We had numerous snow structures that year. When the kiddos were small, they always built snowcaves.
I have a half-completed snow saw I made myself. I'm dying to use the fucking thing. We never get cool shit like windpack in the driveway here. It's always slush or ice.
That big-assed rock is still there. It didn't wash away in the recent floods.

47212_521743774519673_1707300682_n.jpg

I'm envious of your commute!

I'm envious of your commute!

That's a photo from the commute to the cabin. On the Parks Highway, at the north end of the Willow airstrip, with the bridge over Willow Creek at the point where the asphalt changes color.

Honestly, I've always been intrigued with hunting, camping, hiking and climbing. I don't have much experience but I think I could very easily get in to climbing. I've gone camping in some of the harshest conditions Nebraska can offer. While I'm sure they pale in comparison to the things you've done, it's a stepping stone in the right direction for me. Do you know of any places around Nebraska that have great places for camping, hiking, climbing, or a combination of the three?

Honestly, I've always been intrigued with hunting, camping, hiking and climbing. I don't have much experience but I think I could very easily get in to climbing. I've gone camping in some of the harshest conditions Nebraska can offer. While I'm sure they pale in comparison to the things you've done, it's a stepping stone in the right direction for me. Do you know of any places around Nebraska that have great places for camping, hiking, climbing, or a combination of the three?

What I know of Nebraska:

Wherever you are in NB, get in your car and drive to Maywood. Go into the Village Market and buy some of the special seasoned flatiron steaks. Grille the steaks medium rare. Yummmmmmm.

'Help me! Help me!' Technology enables Alaska wilderness welfare-cheats.

Why learn backcountry skills when you've got a SPOT?

Story

Back