To win the wounded heart (closed)

"Not a problem," Steven said as he got to work. Gone was the more jovial attitude from the day before. Replacing it was a serious attitude Steven typically associated with the job. The clacking of a keyboard and the complaints Josh was getting. Things only got worse when Lena's phone vibrated and she got a message that clearly bothered her.
 
Taking a second to look at her phone and wishing she hadn't she closed her eyes for a moment almost scared.
 
Steven saw her reaction and immediately knew who it was. Feeling even worse that he couldn't do anything about it. And this is how the day went, Lena getting a new text, her looking disappointed and awkward silence. Steven didn't even acknowledge the alarm for lunch.

"Old soul, time for a break," Mr. Davis said.

"I'll be in a few. Know Lena doesn't like this Sinclair mess so I wanted to get a few more done," Steven answered without a blink.

"Such a gentlemen," Mr. Davis said with a laugh. "Just remember to take lunch eventually. You're no good to her if ya starve to death. I'll let her know," Mr. Davis laughed before heading to lunch.
 
Brynlee led her off to break time trying to talk to her and distract her. Her quality station was safe and her phone laid right there with the message still open. Her ex... His head games and veiled threats that she was far too used to but they still scared her.
 
"If it helps, ya might have one less thing to worry bout," Davis said trying to comfort Lena.

"What do you mean?" She asked, still shook by her husband's abuse.

"Old soul said he's working late," he said motioning to the window. "Figures it'll help with whatever happened with Sinclair."
 
What happened with Sinclair... What always happens with Sinclair... Their precious Josie chief product order person changed her little airheaded mind. Not the first time mid order and it won't be the last.

She looked back through the window from the break room at Steven and sighed.

Tell me about him. Why does he never seem to hang out with his own age? It's not like the girls his age aren't trying to get his attention and the guys too.
 
"That's the craziest thing, nothing really seems up with him. Most I got out of him was a bad breakup a few years back but nothing a kid his age couldn't get over," Mr. Davis said between bites of his sandwich. "Aside from that he's just a kid who's mature for his age and who seems to want to impress you," Mr. Davis explains.
 
She stared out the break room window for a little longer before staring at her coffee. Thanks to the emotional and psychological mess her ex made her she could not fathom why Steven would want to impress her.

He is a hard worker

She finally spoke up again

And certainly does seem older than his years.
 
"Yeah, he's a good kid. Now I'm not saying you gotta marry the kid or anything," Mr. Davis said as he finished up his sandwich. "But ya can't let your ex husband ruin all of your relationships. And I know old soul wouldnt turn you down. Ya know, when you're ready." Mr. Davis said before the lunch bell rang. "Back to the grindstone," he said as everyone started to march out of the lunch room.
 
Well Mr. Davis are you trying to play matchmaker?

She laughed a little and wondered about ever letting someone else close or would her ex go after them too?
 
"Maybe," Mr. Davis said with a sly smile. "Or maybe I think you deserve a bit of happiness which I think the kid could give. Besides he's a strapping young lad. I'm sure you could figure out a way to enjoy that," he cheekily joked before Brynlee slapped Mr. Davis playfully.
 
She just shrugged and made her way to the packing floor walking past Josh who seemed happy to announce that no new changes have been called in. Smiling she walked back to her post at quality and began checking the boxes.
 
Seeing the smile on Lena's face returning from lunch made Steven feel good. As long as her ex husband wasn't giving her problems it was all good. He had barely continued working when he was approached by Mr. Davis.

"I think she likes ya, old soul," he said with a nudge.
"What?"
"Well she certainly doesn't dislike you. Don't go rushing into it or anything but I do see spark between you two."
"Anything else, cupid?" Steven said, trying not to get too excited.
"Nope. Just don't hurt her or I'm sure Brynlee will kill you for her," Mr. Davis joked.
 
You got that right Brynlee laughed walking past them back to her station. The rest of the shift went smoothly enough and with no more changes to the order the next few days passed in peace. Lena had warmed up and the four of them talked more and more and she seemed a little more relaxed around Steven.
 
The day went by like a breeze. The more Steven got to know Lena the harder he fell for her. Beneath her cautious exterior was a fun loving woman who just wanted some peace in her hectic life. It was a nice change of pace from club-going women his age. By the end of the day you never would have guessed the two had just met the way the four were joking. As the day came to a close Steven approached Lena.

"Mind if I walk you to your car?"
 
As usual.

She laughed a little as she grabbed up her things and clocked out of the computer.

Whenever you are ready?
 
Steven walked the older woman with a smile on his face. "I was wondering if you wanted to go out for a drink sometime. Doesn't have to be just us, Mr. Davis and Brynlee could come too," Steven asked suddenly nervous. Knots in his stomach as he felt like a kid asking out a girl for the first time. "I just figured we get along and I'd love to get to know you better."
 
Suddenly she wanted to panic. She was terrified of letting anyone get too close and not even his offering of the other two being there would calm it. She bit her lip but nodded without realizing it. She didn't register it till she was nearly home in the next county.
 
Steven came into the work the next day on cloud 9. Not knowing how shaken up Lena was he wasn't able to believe his luck. Suddenly he heard a feminine voice behind him.

"You better be careful," said an aggressive Brynlee

"Excuse me?"

"I know you asked Lena out and you seem nice enough. But Lena's in a rough place right now and if you hurt her in any way I'll know about it," she said with a calm menace.

"I get it, I'm younger than you guys and that probably seems suspicious. But I don't mean any harm, I swear. And you and Mr. Davis are invited too. So if you want to join or have it cancelled I will. Last thing I want is to be like her ex husband," Steven pleads. Suddenly Steven notices Lena walking up behind Brynlee.
 
Well I doubt you could be as bad as him. He...

Brynlee was cut short as Lena called out.

BRYNLEE...

With that everyone's work day began.
 
There was tension in the air all day. Steven wanted to talk it out with Lena but there by her side was Brynlee giving him the cold shoulder. The two finally have a chance to to talk alone when Brynlee used the restroom.

"Can we talk real quick?"
 
Sure what?

She was sure this was about her stopping Brynlee from telling him about her ex. It wasn't a topic she wanted to burden or over worry Steven with.

What's on your mind?
 
"I just wanted to know if you still wanted to get a drink," he said to Lena's shock. Figuring she could talk about her ex when she was ready Steven didn't want to rush anything. "I'm available after work if that works for you too."
 
Okay... That's fine

She smiled to him. I am not familiar with the area so where should we meet
 
"Great!" Steven said a bit too excitedly, getting weird looks from Brynlee. "There's actually a Japanese place down the street with a killer selection. We could just walk up after work if you don't mind," he said with a grin on his face. "And if you want Brynlee and Mr. Davis to join us I totally understand."
 
Back
Top