Best sentence you've ever heard?

"My name is George. I am unemployed and I live with my parents."
"I'm Victoria, hi!"
- George and Victoria in "The Opposite"

"Everything in this room is eatable, even I'm eatable! But that is called 'cannibalism,' my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies."

-Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Se una notte d'inverno un viaggiatore...

(If, on a winter's night, a traveler...)

Italo Calvino

:)

"I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

-Lloyd Dobler, Say Anything

"I think... no, I am positive... that you are the most unattractive man I have ever met in my entire life. You know, in the short time we've been together, you have demonstrated EVERY loathsome characteristic of the male personality and even discovered a few new ones. You are physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, you're morally reprehensible, vulgar, insensitive, selfish, stupid, you have no taste, a lousy sense of humor and you smell. You're not even interesting enough to make me sick."

-Alexandra Medford, The Witches of Eastwick

I wish I could remember this exactly, but it's the last sentence of a sci-fi short, I think by Isaac Asimov.

"And overhead, one by one the stars winked out."

I wish I could remember this exactly, but it's the last sentence of a sci-fi short, I think by Isaac Asimov.

"And overhead, one by one the stars winked out."

Everybody seems to remember it as something like that. It was something like that, but I don't remember exactly either. I think the story was "The Nine Billion Names of God;" I'll have to look for it. And it's by Arthur C. Clarke.

Last edited:
Everybody seems to remember it as something like that. It was something like that, but I don't remember exactly either. I think the story was "The Nine Billion Names of God;" I'll have to look for it. And it's by Arthur C. Clarke.

It was in a collection of sf shorts I had for a sf class in college. I think I still have the book, too. I figured it was either Asimov or Clarke, but it's been so long since I've read it I can't remember.

It was in a collection of sf shorts I had for a sf class in college. I think I still have the book, too. I figured it was either Asimov or Clarke, but it's been so long since I've read it I can't remember.

You collected shorts when you were in college? I'm proud of you, madam, giving the coeds something to counter the traditional panty raid!.

“Shut that cunt’s mouth or I’ll come over there and fuckstart her head!” —The Way of the Gun -

“Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! Good day to you, madam.” — Uncle Buck

“Guns are for show. Knives are for pros.” — Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Back