Best sentence you've ever heard?

loquere

Smile!
Joined
May 19, 2011
Posts
35,204
What is the best sentence, line you've read in a book, or watched on a TV show/film? ETC!
 
Last edited:
I want you to sing with rapture and dance like a dervish.-Anthony Hopkins meet Joe Block
 
Delany says in "Zack and Miri Make a Porno"..... I like that white boy, but if he tries to fuck that little dog tomorrow night for real I'm calling the ASPCA." Quote might not be exact, I'm going off of memory.
 




It's not the absolute best but it's pretty damn good:




One charmed afternoon, as the result of a series of misunderstandings and coincidences, I found myself on a small sailboat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, a thousand miles and more from any land...
-Willis Eschenbach​







The rest of the story, "Here There Be Dragons": http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/02/04/here-there-be-dragons/


 
"Snap out of it," accompanied by two slaps, Cher to Nicholas cage in Moonstruck.

I've often thought of that in reading threads on this forum. :D
 
" I want you to stand there in your faggy white uniform and with your Harvard mouth, extend me some fucking courtesy!"

Jack Nicholson to Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men.
 
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility:whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing
E.E.CUMMINGS
 
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." Hunter S Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
 
"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with Kings---nor lose the common touch." Kipling.
 
The first line sets up the one I love.

I want to buy her some flowers. That's what men do when they break a date.

---(((("That's not what men do. I know no men who do that."))))-------
 
Look, I'm sorry your life turned out so bad. But don't blame me you messed it up yourself. You just focused on the bad stuff when all you had to do was... let go of the past and keep moving forward

-Meet the Robinsons
 
"After using the silken rope... never again be content with hemp." - Miles Malleson, as the hangman in Kind Hearts and Coronets. The movie's full of quotable lines, but that one sums up the spirit of the whole thing.
 
Doctor Rumack: "Can you fly this plane and land it?"

Ted Stryker: "Surely you can't be serious?"

Doctor Rumack: "I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley."

Airplane! 1980
 
"I want the truth! Jessep: You can't handle the truth." -Me this past Friday in Court. I was beast I won.
 
from the movie Clerks

Randal Graves: Why don't you go join her, make a little bathroom bam bam?

Dante Hicks: I love your sexy talk. It's so kindergarten.
 
from the poem "If" by Rudyard Kipling

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too:
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;"
 
"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

–F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby (1925)
 
"His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead. "

–James Joyce, “The Dead” in Dubliners (1914)
 
"Before reaching the final line, however, he had already understood that he would never leave that room, for it was foreseen that the city of mirrors (or mirages) would be wiped out by the wind and exiled from the memory of men at the precise moment when Aureliano Babilonia would finish deciphering the parchments, and that everything written on them was unrepeatable since time immemorial and forever more, because races condemned to one hundred years of solitude did not have a second opportunity on earth."

–Gabriel García Márquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967; trans. Gregory Rabassa)
 
Back
Top