GLBT Media Portrayal

rbone04

Literotica Guru
Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Posts
643
The way the GLBT community is portrayed in generalities by the media sickens me. Progressive and conservative outlets alike constantly group us into broadly stated narratives--as if it's assumed we're all walking into the voting booth, marching with our arms linked, to push the same button. Since when does my sexual preference have anything to do with how this country should be run? I guess politicians are just as guilty, huh? Oh well... Just a thought.
 
If only they ( politicians / media ) even considered we had political thoughts. As things stand we don't get out of the restroom, never mind the polling booth :rolleyes:
 
So the North Korean autocrats suck - we get that. So what "sweeps Facebook" to mock their leader?
2440977300000578-0-image-a-3_1419437538934.jpg


So the way to mock anyone is make them look like the opposite gender?
Fuck
right
off
 
So the way to mock anyone is make them look like the opposite gender?
Fuck
right
off

At the moment we've got probably the most cynical and incompetent government in Australian history, a string of screwups and broken promises as long as your arm from just one year in government, they're cutting funds from stuff they promised so they can pay $200m to fund school chaplains, our "Prime Minister for Aboriginal Affairs" thinks the country was uninhabited in 1787, the "Minister for Women" says the best thing he's done for women in the last year is cut carbon pricing so it's cheaper for them to do the ironing, I'm not even exaggerating.

And there are still people who can't think of a better criticism of them than to suggest that the Education (sic) Minister might be queer. Yeah, fuck off and stop making my side look bad.
 
The "Minister for Women" says the best thing he's done for women in the last year is cut carbon pricing so it's cheaper for them to do the ironing, I'm not even exaggerating.
Isn't that "to" women? I still think it's laughable that he appointed himself as minister for women.

Not wishing to bash Oz but this is pretty bad
You have to divorce before you can change your birth certificate... presumably this is for those numerous occasions when people transition without telling their husband/wife :rolleyes:
 
Isn't that "to" women? I still think it's laughable that he appointed himself as minister for women.

In the current Cabinet, "Minister for X" should be read as "Minister for destroying X". You should see our innovative methods for "protecting" refugees by locking them up in camps full of disease, violence, and rape :-/

Not wishing to bash Oz but this is pretty bad
You have to divorce before you can change your birth certificate... presumably this is for those numerous occasions when people transition without telling their husband/wife :rolleyes:

I think that follows from the fact that same-sex marriage still isn't legal here (DON'T GET ME STARTED) so for a married person to transition would imply their marriage was no longer valid - probably need to fix the marriage laws first.

It's not the only problem with transition laws; e.g. West Australia has a surgical requirement in order to get a birth certificate amended, even for trans people who don't want or need anything past HRT.

On the bright side, the new anti-discrimination laws are pretty good. I've been working with my employer's diversity team to edjamacate them on ways to make systems friendlier to trans employees and would-be employees.
 
The Angie Zappata story was hard to watch today but I did. I am a woman but no one deserved that. It is a sad story.
 
I thought ones orientation shouldn't be part of the political process. Largely because what people do with other consenting adults is nobody else's business. Some feel the need to drag everything into the political theater though.
 
I thought ones orientation shouldn't be part of the political process. Largely because what people do with other consenting adults is nobody else's business. Some feel the need to drag everything into the political theater though.
How can the political theatre be excluded, when it has a direct bearing on laws on pretty much everything to do with orientation: marriage, child care, employment, education, access to public places? These laws directly affect everyone, not just LGBT or cis-folk.

From your other post about Wellesley, it sounds as though you have LGBT-media-fatigue. I can understand that, if you find talk about LGBT issues taking up too much air-time, but that is because there are laws that need to be changed and the only way to do that is to persuade lawmakers that there is a strength of feeling and numbers of voters who do believe in equal rights.

Sitting back quietly has never, ever produced change. Sorry, but if you don't like it, tune into something else. Better still, support us, get the laws changed and we'll all be more than happy to stop burning our time and energy on changing laws that are blatantly unfair.
 
Back
Top