The Official Authors' Hangout Nude Day 2019 Contest Support Thread.

Imagine that.

I've found it hard to predict what will happen in EC. The category is capable of producing loads of views and high scores, but it might just let stories slip by without noticing.

The numbers that BelleCanzuto gave us aren't bad for views and votes. Given time, those numbers will change.

True dat with regards to EC. My entry has 6.1K views - really low for me in this category. I think it is the title that is off-putting, though I like it and feel it fits.
On the plus side, it has 153 votes, which is 1 in 40 - very high for me and the category, so I take that as the readers who do jump in are invested. That number will surely drop, though, with the sweeps removing votes.

Good luck to all, and special congrats to the seemly large group of first time entrants this contest! :rose:

Well that was a sweep. I just lost 25 votes and my score jumped by .5 - I’m over 3 now!!!!!!

No change in either vote number or rating here, and I've been heavily trolled this time both in rating and in comments that have nothing to do really with the story.

Well that was a sweep. I just lost 25 votes and my score jumped by .5 - I’m over 3 now!!!!!!

Make that from 175 votes to 119 and my rating jumped from 3.09 to 4.08 - let this be an example of the commitment we Authors receive from readers of the Loving Wives category. Lol. I have surpassed the sparrows. I am now soaring with the pigeons.🤗

Make that from 175 votes to 119 and my rating jumped from 3.09 to 4.08 - let this be an example of the commitment we Authors receive from readers of the Loving Wives category. Lol. I have surpassed the sparrows. I am now soaring with the pigeons.🤗

Maybe it's ongoing. I lost one vote and the score hasn't changed.

I don’t know if it’s sweeps but my story’s gone from 4.15 to 4.4 since I posted. Maybe if there were more than 3 days left in the contest whoever’s in the lead would have to worry.

No brooms in my direction yest but I've gained a few votes and I've regained a .01.

My entry has 6.1K views - really low for me in this category. I think it is the title that is off-putting, though I like it and feel it fits.

Good luck to all, and special congrats to the seemly large group of first time entrants this contest! :rose:

I loved your title. It did exactly what I want a title to do: give me an idea of what to expect without giving everything away. 'Course, I'm a big Princess Bride fan, so I got the reference. (I also enjoyed all the shout outs to the ridiculously turgid writing of the Gor novels. But then I'm a freak like that...)

I was wondering if it's typical for the contests to get so many entries. It seems like a ton more than the April fools contest...

I loved your title. It did exactly what I want a title to do: give me an idea of what to expect without giving everything away. 'Course, I'm a big Princess Bride fan, so I got the reference. (I also enjoyed all the shout outs to the ridiculously turgid writing of the Gor novels. But then I'm a freak like that...)

Thanks much!:heart:

I tried to make the title and - more so - the story enjoyable to people not familiar with the many, many references, but it was definitely written for readers like you who would know them.
And I thought a playful Princess Bride-Gor mash-up romance would be fun to write, especially if you throw in Harry Potter, Star Wars, and more. It was fun.
It’s not the first time I’ve used the ‘birds n nerds’ basic theme either.

I was wondering if it's typical for the contests to get so many entries. It seems like a ton more than the April fools contest...

I think 80 or so is typical. A-fools is tough, writers seem to have more difficulty with that theme.

I had one 1-vote removed yesterday and popped up by 0.02. Other than that, no change in vote number for days now--it's like I'm nailed there. Oh well, no shame in finishing mid-pack in this company. Good luck to all in the final stretch!

Humor & Satire

Does anyone actually know what people want from Humor & Satire? Cause reader's really hate mine and I'm just writing silly stuff. I'm not really mad cause the one's I write are there are just one page things that I write to blow off steam while I'm writing one's I actually care about. But it seems like there's oddly enough a lot of anger and criticism in that category.

Does anyone actually know what people want from Humor & Satire? Cause reader's really hate mine and I'm just writing silly stuff. I'm not really mad cause the one's I write are there are just one page things that I write to blow off steam while I'm writing one's I actually care about. But it seems like there's oddly enough a lot of anger and criticism in that category.
I find wit helps if you want to be funny, plus subtlety, cleverness.

You've taken a sledge hammer approach and you're blatantly taking the piss. You've not respected your audience, is my take.

Humour and Satire is tough to write because not only do you have massive cultural differences as to what different nations think is funny, but also what's a belly laugh to one person is infantile rubbish to the next.

When it's done well it can amuse more than one person - I have three H&S stories with a 4.60, 4.62 and 4.65, so you can do okay.

I find wit helps if you want to be funny, plus subtlety, cleverness.

You've taken a sledge hammer approach and you're blatantly taking the piss. You've not respected your audience, is my take.

Humour and Satire is tough to write because not only do you have massive cultural differences as to what different nations think is funny, but also what's a belly laugh to one person is infantile rubbish to the next.

When it's done well it can amuse more than one person - I have three H&S stories with a 4.60, 4.62 and 4.65, so you can do okay.

Maybe I’ll go read one of yours then.

But if I’m just doing subtle wit wouldn’t I just write a regular story then and insert some wit into that? Isn’t there room for some silliness in humor & satire? Am I expected to write a New Yorker piece with sex in it? Cause that last one sounds super hard.

Anyway not trying to rock the boat here. I don’t want to start another argument that fills up this thread like last time. Just asking a question cause I know other people have problems with Humor & Satire.

Lost one vote; same score as yesterday.

I'm sorta not surprised that Chloe's story changed so much...

I think I mighta, like, got my own sweep coz that was sure a lotta. Like, troll votes that were swept, dudes, which, like, totally validates my whole Loving Wives experience and leaves me, like, totally stoked. Now where’s that tequila for my coffee?

I think I mighta, like, got my own sweep coz that was sure a lotta. Like, troll votes that were swept, dudes, which, like, totally validates my whole Loving Wives experience and leaves me, like, totally stoked. Now where’s that tequila for my coffee?

Trixie? Is that you?

Laurel musta think your like, really special coz your so cute and fun and like awww puppys. :rolleyes:

No movement on mine. Bloody cold here. Tawny port in a bucket and a mug of black coffee. No Reposada...

Russ

Got a minor sweep of a few votes and some new ones on top of that, which gave it a little bump. Now sitting at 4.66. I said it before, but I am still overwhelmed with that rating, and the amount of views and positive comments I got.

It's almost over!

Thank god, it's so nerve-racking. I don't know about everyone else, but I keep getting distracted to go check on my rating. At 4.7 it's my personal best, but there are so many great authors out there!

On a side note, I started my story last year at this time after surgery as this contest was going on, telling myself I would finish it for next year. So I'm trying to remind myself as I get trophy lust what a privilege it is just to participate.

Good luck everyone and I'm so excited for the Summer Fun one! I'm doing my best to have a submission for every contest this year.

Back