Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 01-14-2018, 05:25 AM   #26
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoquiSordidaAdMe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Well, I don't mind grammar and spelling comments on my stories. ANY comments are welcome.
This. Absolutely. If I screwed up, even if it's just a typo, I want to know about it. It's the only way I can improve.

I once wrote a paper in college that got an A- with no other comments. I asked the professor what I could have done better, since obviously an A- means there was room for improvement. The professor flipped through the pages thoughtfully for a few minutes and then simply changed my grade to an A. I hated that. I can't get better without feedback.

scaly21, if you're reading this, I'd love to see your comments on any of my stories.
I very much appreciate grammar and spelling comments on my stories. In a PM. I seriously wonder if readers are interested in the show-off from other readers, and I fear their own impressions on the story might get dragged down in the negativity, even when they appreciated the story itself.

I already I know I will never get a perfect story--almost all of the authors in this forum agree that their stories will always have flaws--readers don't have to rub it in my face like that.

One of the comments I received
Quote:
always use an editor.. your writing for english speakers and readers. If you don't want to then there is a non english section after all. This in parts was a really tough ready because of sentence structure and your writing style. I always suggest people use a editor.
Sometimes it might also be the reader's abilities that are lacking...

Some of my stories are 13 lit-pages long, and I only have a small group of readers (who do seem to appreciate my work anyway, because of the content). Therefore I wonder if I really should bother editors to put their time and effort in it; chances are low that it is the kind of story they appreciate.

Last edited by RubenR : 01-14-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Old 01-14-2018, 05:55 AM   #27
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenR View Post
......Some of my stories are 13 lit-pages long, and I only have a small group of readers (who do seem to appreciate my work anyway, because of the content). Therefore I wonder if I really should bother editors to put their time and effort in it; chances are low that it is the kind of story they appreciate.
I also write and edit on the basis that I don't get paid for this and it's a free site for readers, so what you get is what you get. I put a reasonable amount of effort into editing and cleaning up, but things always slip through. I don't worry about it. I do appreciate comments, even grammar and spelling ones (for future reference) but I know I make mistakes. For the stories I've actually been paid for, I do put a lot more effort into editing but for freebies, it's the 80/20 rule on effort.

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old 01-14-2018, 06:03 AM   #28
TxRad
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
I also write and edit on the basis that I don't get paid for this and it's a free site for readers, so what you get is what you get. I put a reasonable amount of effort into editing and cleaning up, but things always slip through. I don't worry about it. I do appreciate comments, even grammar and spelling ones (for future reference) but I know I make mistakes. For the stories I've actually been paid for, I do put a lot more effort into editing but for freebies, it's the 80/20 rule on effort.
Even in mainstream where you have professional editors and a half dozen professional proofreaders, there will still be mistakes. Believe me, I know from experience. Go to any book store and look through the fiction section. I'll pay for any book that is perfect. My editor has been in the business for over twenty years and she's never seen an error free book. Publishing causes errors.

All Stories By TxRad

What doesn't kill you, will make you stronger.
Not to mention, battered, bruised, contused,
and completely dazed and confused.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:10 AM   #29
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRad View Post
Even in mainstream where you have professional editors and a half dozen professional proofreaders, there will still be mistakes. Believe me, I know from experience. Go to any book store and look through the fiction section. I'll pay for any book that is perfect. My editor has been in the business for over twenty years and she's never seen an error free book. Publishing causes errors.
Yes, and I always laugh when I see them now and go "gotcha". I've volunteer proof read a couple of novels that were published and the things that slip thru ... sometimes it's quite funny because they're so obscure. Multiple sets of eyes are the best, but even with that ....

Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 AM   #30
MidnightRyder1a
Literotica Guru

Perhaps I'm out of line here. But when I'm reading a story on Lit, what I'm looking for is a plot and characters that stimulate my imagination. And yes basically make my cock hard that I want to jerk off. Sorry that is just me. Now whether there are typos or the grammar is off. Well I'm ok with that. This is after all a free site, and any editing that is done, is also done for free. Just my opinion that to many people are looking for a story that is going to receive a Pulitzer. Go back to the basics of simply enjoying reading something that stimulates your imagination. And if your worried if things are written proper, and if the story is factual. Well then go edit Wikipedia. (yes typos, and improper grammar weree done on purpose) Thank you, thank you very much.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:11 AM   #31
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Yes, and I always laugh when I see them now and go "gotcha". I've volunteer proof read a couple of novels that were published and the things that slip thru ... sometimes it's quite funny because they're so obscure. Multiple sets of eyes are the best, but even with that ....
Before Abigail went into print I did three edit passes. I then turned it over to a friend who is a High School English teacher, they went through it, caught quite a few things I missed.

It then went to my editor who did her thing then as part two she listens to a program that reads it back and it caught a couple of things she missed.

It went into print and when we got the first copies, my wife flips it open to a random section and reads "She stroked her clip"

Old 01-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #32
PuckIt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecraft68 View Post
Before Abigail went into print I did three edit passes. I then turned it over to a friend who is a High School English teacher, they went through it, caught quite a few things I missed.

It then went to my editor who did her thing then as part two she listens to a program that reads it back and it caught a couple of things she missed.

It went into print and when we got the first copies, my wife flips it open to a random section and reads "She stroked her clip"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4abiHdQpc

Ain't it just the way though?

For the literarily masochistically inclined.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #33
RubenR
Literotica Guru

These are stories I found with Scally21's comments:

https://www.literotica.com/stories/s...928&pagehint=6
https://www.literotica.com/stories/s...580&pagehint=6
https://www.literotica.com/stories/s...php?id=1697380
https://www.literotica.com/stories/s...373&pagehint=6
https://www.literotica.com/stories/s...ehint=1&page=2

Quote:
Cringe worthy.

Gave up midway through page 1. I'm rather hoping that this was some sorry arsed attempt by a 12 year old. Pathetic use of 'ye olde English' and horrendous grammar.
Quote:
Edited?

If this is an edited version I'd hate to think how bad the original must have been.

I gave it 3 stars. Good premise for a story but the terrible spelling, poor grammar and misplaced names shot it down.
Quote:
Good Attempt

Not a bad story but boy, you really need to work on your spelling and grammar. Also, learn how and when you should use inverted commas.

4 stars from me. I would've let the spelling mistakes slide but your inane use of these (") annoyed me greatly.
Quote:
Writer became bored

Obviously the writer became bored or couldn't be bothered on advancing this story further despite opening up many other sub-plots.
One of THE lamest endings I've had the misfortune of reading here. An epilogue that might as well have said 'once upon a time....the end'.
Quote:
Updates!!

Please don't bother with further 'updates'. You clearly cannot stick to shedules that you yourself have proclaimed to (4 occasions at least) irrespective of whatever is going on in you own personal life. If there's one thing I can't bear nor abide it's tardiness. I find it more disappointing than actually finding no further story postings being made.

[followed with a second comment for the same story]
@johnm9171

Let me get one thing straight, I didn't say don't finish this great story! I'd just rather the author post when finished and not continually say this w/end, next w/end or the w/end after that.
I'm not saying these are all of his comments; this is what google came up with.
I can't say any of those comments were constructive.

Last edited by RubenR : 01-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:21 AM   #34
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckIt View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4abiHdQpc

Ain't it just the way though?
Kid has a future as an editor.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #35
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Quote:

Wow. Yeah, I can see why authors have been deleting those.

p.s. - Scally21 - it's "schedule".

Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #36
RejectReality
Literotica Guru

Inverted commas? What? LOL

Is that supposed to mean apostrophes? Single quotes?

I looked at the story in question and found one misused single quote. All of the apostrophes appear to be correct in a speed scan.

If these are an example of "constructive" as he defines it, then it's hardly surprising the comments are being deleted by authors.

Alt for Darkniciad ^--Website

Hot Shorts

11/22/17
Holly Jolley
Christmas

12/05/17
Unleashed

01/17/18
Coming In Third

05/15/18
Smooth Operator

05/21/18

Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #37
lovecraft68
Literotica Guru

I say we teach this guy a lesson and make him read anything I wrote here between 2010-2011. If he survives that he deserves to be able to continue leaving comments

Old 01-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #38
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Wow! Yeah, I rescind my previous offer. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this guy is just mean.
Proudly part of the 2018 Geek Pride Day Anthology

The rest of my prosaic little stroke stories

Old 01-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #39
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoquiSordidaAdMe View Post
Wow! Yeah, I rescind my previous offer. Constructive criticism is one thing, but this guy is just mean.
Yes, well, after reading those comments, not constructive, no.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #40
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuffedshirt_perv View Post
Y'all do realize that was the OP's very first post, right? In over three years, one post.
Yes, I saw that and ...

Old 01-14-2018, 03:18 PM   #41
yukonnights
Literotica Guru

What's that one word I'm trying to remember.....oh, yes; Obsession. noun - the state of being obsessed with someone or something, an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes on a person's mind.

I never knew someone could be obsessed with literary criticism. What a weird world we dwell in

BDSM TEST RESULTS:
== Results from bdsmtest.org == 99% Switch / 91% Voyeur / 87% Degradee / 85% Experimentalist / 77% Non-monogamist 77% Submissive / 76% Rope bunny / 74% Degrader / 66% Dominant / 25% Vanilla / 23% Masochist / 13% Sadist

Old 01-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #42
electricblue66
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Good research, RubenR. Case rests, I think.

The guy's a legend in his own five minutes, and he's only outed himself as a knob. Let's move on.

Scally21, don't bother one-bombing all our stories. You probably don't know this, but the site regularly runs sweeps through the data base to remove obvious patterns of trolling vote behaviour. Just so you know.

Maybe go sit outside for a while, look at the sky, the trees, the people all around. Who knows, maybe one day someone will pass by and say hello, someone who is inherently kind, a nice person. Having now seen your "commentary" and your "critique", you might want to try a little harder to engage positively with writers. Don't expect writers to treasure comments like yours. They won't.

My stories: https://www.literotica.com/stories/m...ge=submissions

Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #43
Elloelle
Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by scally21 View Post
Perhaps the site should be called Illiterotica. I find it particularly irksome to find that moderators on this site pander to the requests of deleting and removing of comments simply to protect an author's bruised ego. On numerous occasions now comments of mine that give fair critiques with regards to spelling and or grammar have been removed. When I do give these critiques it's never done maliciously. I realise that several authors invest many hours and sometimes even their heart and soul into some of these stories and therefore I find it incomprehensible that given that, they neglect to invest a little further by having them proofread or at the very least gone over by a spell checker.

I always allow for those who's first language isn't English but the vast majority of mistakes come from those who's first language is English. Be it via British or US English.

I fully endorse removal of spiteful comments by the spineless 'anonymous'. But moderators, you should allow fair critique and perhaps even guide some of these soft centered authors to the guidance of proofreaders that this site provides.

Rant over!
Maybe you should start your own site and stuff 'cause I'm pretty sure you can do better and stuff and then you won't get rant over all the time.

Debbie

Anal Sex is for Buttholes

Now New and Improved! With 75% more!

The Boss's stuff.
(Not Bruce Springfield and stuff)

Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #44
paulman
Experienced

Kudos to the replies here!

By the way, a scally is a term, most used in Northwest England,
it is identified culturally as someone that wears track suits/sports gear
as everyday clothing, often boasts about their petty criminal record and
acts tough. It is obviously short for scallywag.

They might sell a few tablets and stuff, might have an uncle with unlicensed
guns and really think they're the dogs bollox.

Most are not really tough and don't come from real mob families, it's usually
really small time stuff.

It looks to me certainly like the OP doesn't know how the site works, just seems
so desperate to irritate authors that he's peeved his comments have been deleted.

Can anyone show me links where this idiot has commented? I'd be curious, in passing.

Last edited by paulman : 01-16-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM   #45
LoquiSordidaAdMe
Really Really Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman View Post
Can anyone show me links where this idiot has commented? I'd be curious, in passing.
Here you go paulman.

https://www.google.com/search?q=scal...obile&ie=UTF-8

This is a site-specific Google search for "scally21". It should show you the stories where he's left a comment.
Proudly part of the 2018 Geek Pride Day Anthology

The rest of my prosaic little stroke stories

Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #46
paulman
Experienced

Thanks.

Not a very interesting character, I think.

He sounds more like one of those sad lonely schoolteachers that
can't get any sex but hang around the stories dissing them now.

Maybe an idea of him fantasizing about being a scally while trimming
his sideburns in his tweed jacket with leather elbow patches and half mast
trousers could be more appropriate.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 PM   #47
NotWise
Snipe hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulman View Post
He sounds more like one of those sad lonely schoolteachers that
can't get any sex but hang around the stories dissing them now.
I'd hope that if he were a school teacher then he'd at least know 'apostrophe.'

My personal favorites are The Third Ring and Oscar's Place.
My Valentines Day contest entry was Her Bodyguard (and his Dirty Valentine). It's a little brother/sister love story.
My most recent story is The Third Ring -- Tamsin of Sky Village, a story inspired by the legendary character of Yellow Woman.
I was seduced by a ghost story, so the working title for my next story is "Two Whores and a Playwright." The name might stick. I don't know.