Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what is going to happen now. I got the call from the police on Friday evening, so perhaps somewhere next week the Insurers will contact me too.

In my opinion, the motorbike is total loss (value-wise). They took off all the side covers and the mirrors, there is a huge dent in the fuel tank, the fenders are missing, and everything is painted in black.

I do think that, technically, the motorbike it is still okay (but I've only seen some pictures), and I have to admit that the brute look does have some appeal; it's more like a mean looking dirt bike now, instead of the good-looking all-road it used to be. I wouldn't feel bad about taking such a bike off the paved roads into the mud. It would be nice to have such a bike for fun, but I'd rather keep the insurance-money I received.

The insurance company most likely considers it a total loss also. They will pay you the value of the bike or rather what they consider the value of the bike. Buying it back as salvage is a whole other story and can be really cheap. I've done this on bikes that i saw on the police recovery lists. As long as the rims are true and the motor runs, it usually doesn't take much to get it street legal again. Even with a salvage title there is money to be made or even a fun bike to ride as you can customize it as you like.

As for the dent in the tank. All it takes to repair is a steel ball that will go in through the filler neck and some patience while you flip the tank around and pop the dent out from the inside. A little dolly hammering and some bondo and paint after that.

I've doubled my money on most of the bikes I messed with even after expenses. A bike junk yard becomes your best friend for parts.
 
Two of my friends died today. Both were prominent, active and well-liked members of our local community.

One death was expected but not so soon. He had been seriously ill for most of last year. The other was out of the blue. I'm sad that we have lost them. We will remember them and miss their hard work for all of us.

Both of them were nearly two decades younger than me.
 
Following 'routine' tests, I gotta go have an 'oscopy on Friday.
I ain't lookin' forward to it.
 
I'm not surprised you aren't enjoying the idea.

Best wishes for a clear result.

Thank you. I went ot see the Nurse today, get the full SP on the day. Picolax is on the menu for Thursday (I must remember to leave the bathroom door open. . . .)
 
Well this can't be good

My office computer has been trying to start up for the last half hour. It's gonna be one of those days. I should just go back to bed.
 
Been there, done that, the T-shirt is now used for washing the car.

I spent all morning on the phone with IT trying to recover it, only to finally decide it needed to be shipped back to the home office for service. So I spent all afternoon installing and configuring the software I need on an outdated loaner machine. I should have just gone back to bed. I would have been just as productive, and much less frustrated. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to start drinking now.
 
Today was Wednesday, the day of our local weekly auction. The weather was grim with heavy rain so the attendance was light.

I bought more lots than I intended to. I wanted a tall bookcase for my older granddaughter but it was late in the auction. I was prepared to bid a reasonable amount but no one else wanted it. It cost me £2.24 including buyer's premium of 12%.

Before that lot I had bought:

A 1920s Singer hand sewing machine - £6. 72
Some 00 gauge model railway controllers, track and real railway timetables from 1936 to 1984 - £2.24
A pair of 10 x 50 binoculars in case - £3.36
A piano accordion in need of some tlc - £3.36 (Why? I can't play it!)
A large box of tools including saws and an electric drill £2.24
A garden spade, fork, sash clamps, lawn edgers etc £3.36
Three electric sanders £3.36
A glass fronted china cabinet with two drawers at the bottom £2.24

I would have paid more than the total for the bookcase!

Now I have to sneak some of that into the garage without my wife complaining too much.
 
For a "routine procedure" ('oscopy), it can take a goodly while to recover normality in ones guts.
 
Cats...

We've just returned from taking our Ginger Tom to the vet for his annual booster injection.

First - catch the cat.
Second - stuff the cat into the cat carrier, the largest we could buy but not large enough to get an angry Ginger Tomcat into.
Third - pick up now heavy cat carrier.
Fourth - load carrier into car and drive to vet.
Five - park and discover that angry Ginger Tom has battered his way out of cat carrier and is loose in the car.
Six - catch cat and stuff back into cat carrier.
Seven - make sure carrier is locked.
Eight - arrive in vet's waiting room.
Nine - turn cat carrier around so that Ginger Tom is not swearing and spitting at small dogs.
Ten - vet checks cat over, gives injection which Ginger Tom doesn't even notice because he's too busy trying to sink teeth into cat's owners.
Eleven - load back into car, drive home.
Twelve - release cat who rushes out of house through cat flap.
...
Thirteen - get out First Aid kit to put Band-Aids on owners' wounds.
Fourteen - make strong coffee.
Fifteen - put coffee down to feed insistent cat.
Sixteen - sit down with coffee.
Seventeen - cat sits on female owner's lap.
Eighteen - be grateful this happens only once a year.
 

I'll be gobsmacked.

It's been years since I looked at Y-Charts. I didn't realize they had that kind of information.

I've never been willing to fork over the money to sample the full-bore version but I've been curious if it has the power that FactSet ($85K per year) has to manipulate financial data at the individual company level. It's a classic case of whether software is worth the front-end investment (of time and money).

 
I've encountered a small problem,.
I do not know how to operate the "Remote control/ shutter release" on my Sony Alpha DSLR A-380.
In keeping with a great many of Sony manuals, it's complete ball o'chalk
 


Today's Saturday Opera Broadcast from the Metropolitan Opera
(next week, Wagner's Parsifal )


Donizetti's L’Elisir d’Amore




Act I

Italy, 1836. Nemorino, a young villager, is unhappily in love with the beautiful farm owner Adina, who he thinks is beyond his reach. Adina tells the gathered peasants about the book she is reading—the story of how Tristan won the heart of Iseult by drinking a magic love potion. A regiment of soldiers arrives, led by the pompous Sergeant Belcore, who immediately introduces himself to Adina and asks her to marry him. Adina declares that she is in no hurry to make up her mind but promises to think over the offer. Left alone with Nemorino, Adina tells him that his time would be better spent in town, looking after his sick uncle, than hoping to win her love. She suggests that he do as she does and change affections every single day. Nemorino reminds her that one can never forget one’s first love....

 
Okay, viols it is. Viols are not in the fretless violin-viola-cello family, 4 strings tuned in 5ths. Viols are fretted, with 6 strings tuned like a guitar. Bowed guitar, I'd like that.

I see viol KITS for almost US$900! Oy! I might find a viola cheaper. Maybe wrap catgut frets on a viola's neck, restring it, and call it a viol-'uke. Another mutant axe.

I like the idea of sympathetic strings as on a viola d'amore or a sitar. I've plans for building something 'uke-like with a hollow neck housing sympathetic strings. Ommm...

This room is filled with sympathetic strings. I cough, and all the instruments resound.
 
I've been trying to sort out how to set off the shutter on my Sony A-380 by 'remote control'.
Unlike many a camera, the A-380 does not have a socket for an external button (my Canon has).
The 'book' is bloody useless, but then Sony never did have good ideas for a manual.
I suspect that 'third-party' authors were also confused. . .

A pal of mine found the undocumented key combination this afternoon.
Oh joy !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top