OOC: "Humanity 2.0"

Joined
Jul 30, 2017
Posts
5
"Humanity 2.0"

To become involved, PM me.

Link to the IC

Background
  • In the year 2020, an alien race called "The Gleaners" conquers Earth.
  • Using a weaponized virus, they kill 95% of the human population, including 99.99% of those at or beyond the age of puberty.
  • Population concentrations that avoided the virus -- hiding underground, for example -- are destroyed, sometimes with small yield nuclear weapons.
  • Adult humans who are captured are eliminated without mercy.
  • Children who are captured are placed in slave labor camps.
  • Cities are razed.
  • The great knowledge and advances of Humanity are lost.

Between then and now, 2060
  • For the most part, Humans are treated poorly, often worked to death by their early teens.
  • Some -- who serve the aliens more closely and personally -- are treated with more respect.
  • Few live past age 25 as they are summarily executed at that age.
  • Those few who do survive beyond that age are closely watched to ensure that they remember their place as slaves:
    • There is no free association between Humans that is not closely monitored by The Gleaners.
    • Education of Human beyond that necessary to perform their specific tasks is forbidden and punishable by immediately execution.
  • Execution without cause or warning is common and often performed without any more concern or thought than that of swatting a mosquito that has landed on one's arm.

Our story begins
  • Characters will include:
    • Slaves.
    • Slave camp task masters.
    • Runaway slaves.
    • Freemen.
    • And maybe even some adults who survived the initial attacks.
  • Plots will vary but must be approved by the Host (not because he wants control but because he wants to ensure that we are all on the same page).
 
Last edited:
Paul the Picker (slave)
  • 22 years old.
  • Is a member of a Green Valley Camp foraging crew, which collects edible flora (fruits, nuts, berries, mushrooms, etc.).
  • The foraging crew provides food for its own members and the slaves of the nearby Ore Pit #12, an open coal extraction pit.
  • He has no immediate family: he was raised in a Care Center intended to produce obedient, productive slaves.
  • Naïve virgin: he is housed in an all male facility and -- with the exception of the Care Center's Matrons (who he last saw at age 6) -- he has never even seen a female human.
  • Quiet, reserved, obedient; a submissive survivor.
  • His typical day:
    • Rising before dawn.
    • Venturing to the fields or forests after sunrise, under guard, of course.
    • Foraging for what ever nature has to offer during that particular season.
    • Returning before sundown to confinement.
    • And repeat.
 
”Shy” of the Shiny Rock Tribe
  • 18 years old.
  • ”Wild” human:
    • Her people were Immunes and Uninfecteds who fled to the Wilderness to hide.
    • Over time, a community of ~40 came together.
    • They lived in an area that included a field of obsidian, thus the name Shiny Rock.
    • Over time, the Uninfecteds died off as the virus reached every corner of the globe.
    • The Immunes tried to educate their children in some of the technologies of the pre-apocalypse world, but for the most part, they stuck to survival needs.
  • Despite being female, she joined the Hunters, who were almost always males.
  • When she reached breeding age -- defined by her people as having begun her menstruation period -- she refused to breed.
  • After being threatened with a “ceremonially breeding” -- essentially a rape by a breeding male while being restrained by male family members -- Shy fled into wilderness.
  • BTW, she is not a virgin. She had a lover: she just didn’t want to have a baby and become a “domesticated” female.
  • She has been wandering for almost six months.
  • Shy got her name because she is anything but shy.
 
Tomas the Elder (Supervisor of House Slaves)
  • 52 years old. (Was 12 when the Gleaners arrived.)
  • Immune to the virus that killed most of humanity.
  • He spent several years as a common slave.
  • His subservience and willingness to serve the Gleaners got the attention of one of their Nobles.
  • He became a house slave, then a Supervisor of House Slaves.
  • He has taken advantage of his position, using the slaves under his care to make himself comfortable, including picking young women to become his consorts.
  • His typical day:
    • Rising before dawn.
    • Tasking the 20+ slaves under his care with their duties.
    • Exploiting slaves when it suits his needs and desires.
    • And repeat.
 
Back
Top