"Because it's there."

Climbing at Leavenworth today...with Atmas, my oldest and closest friend, one of the two guys I took climbing lessons with 13 years ago. There's something wonderful about climbing with an old and trusted partner...just a glance and you know that if you fall, he'll catch you with a tight belay. You check each other's knots without saying anything about it, because you both know it's not an ego thing. You each know the other's strengths and weaknesses. You know when to offer "beta," the suggestions and coaching that climbers yell to each other, and when to back off and let him flail.

And flail we did. Here are a few pics. The route is the obvious crack and is called "Gibson's Crack." I have no idea who Gibson is.

IMG_1518.jpg

Atmas on rappel, on the way down:

IMG_1525.jpg

And the short but annoying talus scramble to the road:

IMG_1539.jpg

The gear:
100_0901.jpg

How we carry it:
100_0905.jpg

How its used (Perg climbing):
100_0911.jpg

Anchoring at top:
100_0914.jpg

It looks like you guys had a great time!

The pictures are awesome. You sure carry a ton of stuff....

It looks like you guys had a great time!

The pictures are awesome. You sure carry a ton of stuff....

This is true. We try to minimize it, but there are certain essentials and it does add up. Some climbers are insane about it. Much like the "fast and light" crowd in backpacking who cut their toothbrush handles off and such. In fact, a lot of the equipment used by those folks is sold under the name GoLite and was designed by Ray Jardine, a former high end climber.

Climbing at Leavenworth today...with Atmas, my oldest and closest friend, one of the two guys I took climbing lessons with 13 years ago. There's something wonderful about climbing with an old and trusted partner...just a glance and you know that if you fall, he'll catch you with a tight belay. You check each other's knots without saying anything about it, because you both know it's not an ego thing. You each know the other's strengths and weaknesses. You know when to offer "beta," the suggestions and coaching that climbers yell to each other, and when to back off and let him flail.

And flail we did. Here are a few pics. The route is the obvious crack and is called "Gibson's Crack." I have no idea who Gibson is.

IMG_1518.jpg

Atmas on rappel, on the way down:

IMG_1525.jpg

And the short but annoying talus scramble to the road:

IMG_1539.jpg

That looks like soo much fun.

I t really is fun to go out cragging like that.

LN, I think you would love climbing, and probably be a natural.

BG...what's been happening with you? Give it up for good?

Unless you have some magical cure - at this point I'm looking at Dr. Frank's Joint Miracle Spray (also in beef flavor for Fido!) until I get hooked up with an ortho surgeon.

Then I will be back, even if I have to do it one armed.

Great to see you got out!
Me too. I needed to get back to my roots. Nothing like good clean granite.
Unless you have some magical cure - at this point I'm looking at Dr. Frank's Joint Miracle Spray (also in beef flavor for Fido!) until I get hooked up with an ortho surgeon.

Then I will be back, even if I have to do it one armed.

Well, a blind guy summited Everest and a guy who's paralyzed from the waist down has climbed El Cap.

Last edited:
A few more of the shots that Atmas took:

I love this one. As naked as I can be legally but wearing a helmet. And look at that roll of crap around my waist. I use to have abs.

100_0906.jpg

Staring up. Already feeling shaky and weak.

100_0909.jpg

Arranging an anchor at the top. Trying to find three points to connect to create an equalized system.

100_0913.jpg

And tossing the rope so we could rappel and then climb again on toprope.

100_0918.jpg

awesome pictures.
it looks you two had fun.
i liked the pretty gear.
:)

awesome pictures.
it looks you two had fun.
i liked the pretty gear.
:)

It makes great jingly noises. In the pic that atmas posted entitled "how we carry it," you can see a piece of gear that looks sort of rectangular hanging near my right hip. That's called a "Hexcentric" and is hollow aluminum. They ding like cowbells when they hang on your rack.

Last edited:
Wow, those pictures were awesome. It was not difficult at all to take really cool pictures, even if the quality of the climbing we did was not us at our best.
The quality of the great time we had was, however, second to none.

Last edited:
It's hard for non-climbers to appreciate what the climbing team means. That partnership is sacred and high and inviolable. You literally depend for your life on that person more or less constantly. At any time while one member is climbing, the other is holding the rope from a belay device, ready to stop a deadly fall in a split second. That sounds melodramatic, but it is literally factually true, and such a common situation in climbing that we beome decidedly casual about it and do things like drink, eat, smoke, and take pictures while literally protecting the other's life. Here are some shots of Atmas:

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1538.jpg

Wow, those pictures were awesome. It was not difficult at all to take really cool pictures, even if the quality of the climbing we did was not us at our best.
The quality of the great time we had was, however, second to none.

That's because it was you and me climbing together, my friend.

Back