Feline Persuasion

AngelofDeath

Devious
Joined
Sep 19, 2003
Posts
10,753
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

Nikolas, or Nik for short snorted as he changed the channel from the black and white version of the Wolfman. It wasn't a bad movie, but when you were a werecreature you tended to be more critical of the films and whatever particular mythos they were following. if you were not born a shifter there was nothing special about the setting, the animal that bit you or even what your birth order was. It was either intentional or bad luck. Or really bad luck in the case of some strains of cat based lycanthrophy. For some reason, and even the few scientist studying lycanthropy didn't know why, the change from human to cat was harder on the body. The end result was that many simply died.

Nik was one of the "lucky" ones. He'd not only survived the attack by the leopard shifter, but also the painful nightmare that had been his body's acceptance of the change.

His channel flipping brought him to the evening news.

"In other news tonight another shifter has been killed. The victim has been tentatively identified as Marie Hunter. The mutilated body was found on the bike trial of Newlan Park, by a park of joggers." Nik turned the tv off and shook his head. That made the second attack this month so far and the 10th overall in the last twelve weeks. The killings had put the shifter community at large on edge, things were already uneasy even 5 years after they had revealed themselves to the humans.

Many had been against such action, claiming that of course the humans would just try and wipe them out, even if they were citizens with rights. That had been overshadowed, by the fact that with advancing technology and medicine, it was inevitable that they would be found out. The thought had been that it would be better to approach humans on their own terms, rather than be found like rats scurrying in the dark corners.

Unfortunately Nik didn't really have time to consider the implications of another shifter being murdered. He needed to get to work. As a favor to a close friend Nik played bartender a few nights a week at one of the more popular shifter bars, Tiger's Claw. During the day he worked at the local youth center downtown, which allowed him to work with many of the at risk shifter teens and kids that didn't have a real support network. A leather jacket later and his 6'4 frame was tucked onto the back of his Hyabusa and headed down to the bar district.

While the Tiger's Claw was a known hot spot for shifters to come and relax, they didn't turn away human patrons. Money was money after all. It was Thursday, so while not packed the place was busy. Nik parked in the back and then headed inside. Nik made for great eye candy with his tall frame, muscles, good looks and long hair, which is why Cherise had asked him to tend bar. Women and even a few men seemed to fall over themselves to order more than normal, when he was behind the bar. Even if he wasn't really fond of being drooled on Nik did dress the part. Tight black jeans with a tight red shirt, the stand colors for TC.

"Hi Nik," Jen, one of the few humans on staff called out as she carried dirty glasses back into the kitchen.

"Hey Jen," Nik stuffed his coat under the bar, pulled his hair back and got ready for a long night.

[OOC: open for one female character PM for details.]
 
attachment.php
Inspiration
 

Attachments

  • goddess triple moon 3 animated.gif
    goddess triple moon 3 animated.gif
    92.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Lisa Chambers had been the lead detective on the shifter murder case, the murder cases actually kept her up at night. Many humans didn't like shifters, thinking they were filthy beings that had no business being around. Unfortunately that kind of thing makes Lisa sick to her stomach, humans were highly ignorant. She tried her hardest to not be like everyone else, Lisa was a very kind young woman. She got along with almost anyone, unfortunately if humans got word that she liked shifters they would give her hell.

Not that it bothered her what so ever, they were living breathing people. They were even a community, and she swore an oath to serve and protect everyone. She was all for same sex marriage, for the gays to have just as much rights as straight couples. Which means she also believed in the same rights for shifters, unfortunately not many people took her seriously because of her age. She had to do a lot of proving that she could do the job.

A lot of people thought because she was only twenty five she couldn't do her job right, she didn't pull favors to get her job. She was a very bright woman, she had a very high arrest record. She was not a cop taking hand outs, she honestly loved doing her job. She loved getting up to go to work, and find the bad guys. Put them away and try to give peace to the family's. But for some odd reason she was having trouble with this one.

She tried not to let it get personal for her, but the newest one that was killed. There was signs of torture, and that made her sick. She had been at the crime scene for two hours, making sure everyone did there jobs right. She knew about the different religion that shifters had, since some were highly spiritual. She knelt down by the body that was in the body bag, and put her head down. She lowly began to say a prayer for the dead woman, praying that her soul finds peace in the after life.

Slowly standing up when she was done she decided to get a drink, taking the rest of the long night off. She wasn't one of those people that would pray all the time, just when she thought it should be done. She wasn't religious herself, but she always respected everyone and the culture. She went on over to a bar that she knew was for shifters mostly but also knew that they didn't turn humans away. She had been in the bar a few times, even bought a round of drinks for people.

Walking inside she sat at the bar and saw a rather good looking guy there, she removed her black jacket and sat it down beside her. Her gray eyes were rather cat like, people thought sometimes that she was a shifter because of her eyes. But she was fully human, her pitch black curly hair lay calmly on her back as she sighed a bit. Seeing that it was rather busy already, but she had a smile on her face and ordered a beer, and had her license out in case she got carded since she looked much younger then 25.
 
Nik didn't have to be close to know that the woman who'd walked in was human. Oh sure his sense of smell was strong enough he could tell at a distance, but it was simply the way she came in. No one gave her any hard looks, so at least he knew already that she wasn't going to be any trouble. Making his way over she asked for a beer, and he took her id with a small grin. Lisa, seemed to be aging well, since she looked closer to 20 than 25.

He grabbed a bottle and twisted the top off as he asked, "You want to start a tab?" The panther inside of him had sat up a little to take in what parts of her he could see. Attractive, in shape, shifter friendly obviously. The TC was too well known for anyone to mistakenly walk in and trouble makers rarely made it past to the werebear and the werelion working the door. Her eyes were stunning, something you didn't see often in a human face.

"I don't think I have seen you in here before, but then I'm just the back up. The name is Nik." He shot her one of his better smiles.
 
She looked up at the guy and nodded when he asked if she wanted to start a tab, sipping her beer she smiled at him. "My name is Lisa, when I'm on duty it's Detective Chambers and thank god I'm not on duty" She sighed a bit, looking at the people around them. Thankfully no one seemed to mind she was there, because honestly she didn't want to start trouble. The beer was wonderful tasting and her gray eyes looked up at Nik and she grew very calm around him. And it seemed nice to look at him.

"Yes normally I don't really drink unless I am stressed, been working on this recent case course Ive been looked at strangely because I was willing to take it. Course I am not close minded like those I work with" She said as she wondered if he knew what case she was talking about, crossing one leg over the other as she leaned back in the chair. It seemed so peaceful to not have to worry about things lately, sipping her beer again she sighed again. "But I don't mean to bring bad news in here" She chuckled. "Need to bring in a positive attitude here, it's nice no one seems to have a problem with me"
 
"That's because even those of us who used to be completely human have for the most part managed to get over the petty issues that tend to come with being human. Don't get me wrong there are shifters just as bad as humans, but the majority of us just want a regular, normal, boring, life. Well normal and boring outside of being able to turn furry."

"Hey Nik, you working or flirting?" a tall stacked blonde called from the end of the bar.

"Both Cherise and besides you love what my flirting does for business," Nik called over his shoulder before turning back to Lisa. "A detective huh? What's a pretty face like you doing chasing after bad guys?"
 
She smiled at him she enjoyed his voice it was smooth like chocolate and he seemed rather interested in her. But then she heard a woman talking and she looked over at the woman, she smiled at her not wanting to be rude. Then chuckled at what he said, he was smooth on the flirting. She had never had a boyfriend because of her views on shifters. Thinking for a moment, when he asked why a pretty face was chasing after bad guys. Looking into his eyes she decided to be honest with him, and she smiled.

"Honestly? to protect. Maybe a hopeless job but I don't know, no other human wanted this case because the only one's being hurt are shifters. I take the cases no one wants, Ive been called many things. But I am not so close minded, I believe everyone should be equal no matter what they are you know? So because the force knows that I support shifters they gave me a promotion and gave me this case, I am a laughing stock of the department but I don't care. Perhaps I am foolish Nik but I cannot help but have the beliefs I do. And every time I go to a new scene I do something that those I work with do not like" Looking up at him.

Sitting back she thought about it for a moment "Years ago I met this old woman she was born a shifter, I met her when she was seventy and that was ten years ago. She told me that some shifters believe in a spiritual end to all things, she taught me a prayer that is said sometime when a shifter dies, to make sure that there soul go on to a better place" She looked at her beer. "I say that prayer over ever dead shifter Ive come across in my work" Thinking about that woman she looked at Nik.

"She told me if I had been a shifter I would have been some kind of cat because of my eyes. I told her my views about shifters, she called me a guardian. I miss her her name was Rosa Connor, not seen her in so long. I don't even know if she is still alive"
 
Last edited:
"If nothing serious has happened she's probably still prowling around," Nik replied as he wiped down the counter. Shifters were by nature long lived and hard to kill. The last fact was why the murders had everyone so shaken up. Some thought it was some shifter gone rogue, turning on his/her own kind, because the idea of a human managing to kill so many, was unthinkable. If it was in fact a shifter, Nik knew that Lisa would never capture the killer. He or she would find justice at the claws of the shifters.

"And there is nothing wrong with wanting to do good and protect everyone equally. If anything it shows that the job hasn't jaded you on life and people." Lisa came off as someone who seemed to not let the darkness of the world bring her down or even color how she saw the world and the people in it. Nik gave her a small nod as he went to handle some new drink orders. He kept from rolling his eyes as the trio of women who'd walked up all tried to flirt their way into some free drinks. He was used to it, but he liked Cherise too much to screw her over too much. "Enjoy your drinks, ladies," Nik smiled as he handed them back their change.

Walking back over to where Lisa sat Nik leaned against the bar. "So other than working and coming to a bar like this, what else do you do for fun?"
 
She smiled at him he seemed rather nice, and had a feeling that she truly was going to get along with him. "Perhaps I hope she is safe and dies of old age, that's why I want to get this murder unfortunately. I know it's a shifter just to much evidence, I can pin point what kind of shifter. Since I found a print well more like a claw mark. But I will do my damnedest to do my job, Ive never let the big bad world shake me. If I had I never would have been a cop, I never would have been open about Shifters" She said simply and went back to drinking.

She watched Nik making the other orders and smiled at him, then when he came over and he asked her what other things she liked to do. Thinking about it for a moment, she had a smile on her face. "Well I play the piano and the violin, sing a little and dance a little. Never been on a date" She smiled weakly. "Seems no human wants to date me, so who knows. Maybe I'll find a cute shifter to be with" She said with a kind smile. She didn't let her loneliness make her sad either, she was strong in that department.

Finishing up her beer she ordered another one and looked down at her phone for a moment, she turned the ringer off and put it back in her pocket. "I am rather simple to find, if I am not working I am at the club down the street. I have performed there a few times, since they have a really nice piano. But most of the time I spend it alone at home"
 
"A musician, it suits you. And never dated? I find that very hard to believe. I mean sure you may think differently from the mainstream, but how could any man resist that face, those eyes and your good nature?" Nik took a sip from the bottle of water behind him. "I think I'd like to be ignored a bit more by most women. Well at least human women, no offense. Most are willing to ignore what I am, because of how I look. Others are looking for that thrill and like that it comes wrapped in a good package."

He sighed softly, "And enough about our dreadful sex lives. So tell me what do you like to play style wise?"
 
She smiled at him listing to him talk "I was in a small school it was rather small and very raciest in it, felt like the early sixties when the black's had no rights. The minute they found out my thoughts on shifters they shunned me, I had no friends growing up. Some girl sat behind me junior year of school. My hair reached passed my behind and the girl behind me cut all my hair off to above the shoulders, they called me a SL which means Shifter Lover. I was even beat up in school to, which is why I graduated earlier"

Looking at him she thought about those times "I hide away all my pain behind a smile, I have no one. No family and no friends, sometimes it's so hard to breath it suffocates me but. I find strength in my job, so no. When it comes to looks in a man that doesn't matter to me, it's there heart and soul I look for. You are very handsome Nik but you have an even more beautiful spirit" She said with a soft smile. Thinking about it for a moment she really wanted to be at least friends with him.

"As for music well, I play classical music. And the music I write personally can be anything from soft rock to alternative music"
 
Lisa's story made Nik ache. Being alone was never easy. His family had been like many, their personal opinions on shifters were not for casual conversation. Well at least until he had been attacked and changed. For all intents and purposes, right now he was alone and while it hurt, it was better than having the false politeness of those he'd known all his life. "People, doesn't matter what they are, tend to be idiots."

Nik was about to ask why she didn't play the music she wrote, when a shrill voice wrong out followed by the sound of a slap. A hard one. "Never a dull moment," Nik slipped out from behind the bar to the arguing couple. He was closer than the bouncers and his height gave him an advantage. Most would rather leave than fight with him.

"You bastard!" The petite redhead smacked the guy she was with again. Her eyes were so dark they were almost black, her scent said rat.

"Listen you crazy bitch, it was just a kiss," the man was taller, heavier and currently had a meaty hand wrapped around her arm. "Stop acting like a child," he gave her arm a squeeze to the point she cried out.

"You might want to let the lady go," Nik said softly, but still loud enough for the guy to hear.

"And who the fuck asked..." When the guy turned around he looked up into Nik's face. Nik crossed his hands over his chest and watched as the guy's brain worked out whether it was a good idea or not. Even without being a shifter, Nik cut an imposing figure, which was a compliment to his work out routine.

"I don't care what the issue is here, but you know the rules. If you can't play nice you don't get the play at all." His yellow green eyes zeroed in on the hand he had around the woman's arm and the other man immediately let go like he'd been burned.

The guy gave Nik another look like he might consider it, but shook his head with a mutter, "Crazy bitch isn't worth it." The man pushed through the crowd leaving his former date to sling a few more insults and then run off to the bathroom. Nik looked back at Lisa and gave her a shrug.

"Ok so sometimes I'm more than just a pretty face around here. "
 
She enjoyed talking to Nik and in the back of her mind she wished to god he would ask her on a date, but he had made it very clear he didn't date human woman. Which made it even harder, he was very good looking. But he had a very good heart she could see it in him, the talk with him was like being in heaven. Enjoying her second beer she truly was relaxed here, some people seemed to know who she was. She never hid who she was, not to shifters or her own human kind. But he was right about people being idiots.

It was amazing how someone you don't know could make you feel, he was very charming. And something about him seemed to hurt her, it was like he knew what real pain was. It was nice to know that someone knew what it felt like to be lonely, but she just wouldn't do something stupid. Even though she wanted to get to know him, she wouldn't force him to. She wouldn't ask him out on any kind of date. Rather it be just as friends, since they were not friends. And she wouldn't ask for his number.

But before she was about to say anything, she heard a woman screaming down the bar just about. Looking over she noticed a pretty woman hitting a man, and couldn't help but smile faintly a bit. It appeared that no matter what you were, rather you be human or shifter. You still have this sort of thing, she was about ready to do something about it. It was just out of reaction to the scream, she noticed Nik shake his head and knew that he would take care of it. She relaxed in her chair looking at Nik as he walked over to stop this.

It was always hard for her to understand why some people would slap others, I mean really what was wrong with a kiss. If someone had kissed her and she didn't like it, she would not have slapped him. Lisa would have just kindly asked him not to do that, or something like that since she wouldn't make a big deal over it. Just she guessed some people didn't know how to handle some things, but really Lisa had never been kissed. Never had sex or anything so she didn't know how she would react.

"I guess"

She called out to him as he said he wasn't just all a pretty face, he appeared to be like a body guard as well, though it was rather funny to seem him as a bartender, pretty face and what looked like a bouncer now. She went back to drinking her beer, and it made her wonder how much he saw this? It was kinda funny how high strung people could crack under something so freaking simple. But she didn't judge anyone, she knew a very long time ago that judging people would just get you in a trouble.

"You seem to be a bouncer to Nik"
 
"More like imposing force. I think being what we are gives us a greater sense of self preservation. I'm a good sized man already, and the guy decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to press his luck. Its really a dice roll, since overall size doesn't always mean anything when it comes to our other side. Its not just whats inside, but how one uses it."

Nik took up his spot behind the bar once again. Filled some more drink orders and cracked open another bottle of water. The simple act drew plenty of eyes to his flexing muscles. "And I was going to ask before the interruption, why don't you play the music you write?"
 
She listened to what he said and he made a very good point, that it didn't matter how tall a person was. It was the other side that could probably matter, but she got the full point of what he said. But then she watched as he walked over and opened up another water, she figured he looked like a panther shifter. She wouldn't ask since it was not her business, perhaps if they ever became friends. But then she snapped back to reality as she heard him start to talk, taking a deep silent breath the question came. "No one wants to hear my music, and it's not like there is a piano that I know of around. If there was a piano here I would be more then happy to play something"
 
Nik didn't know why he said it, but he did, "I'd love to hear you play actually." The Tiger Claw did have a piano actually but it was kept in the back and only brought out when there was someone actually around to play it. Generally most of the live performances were traditional bands. He gave Lisa a small grin, "You have the soul of an artists, don't doubt that you can reach people with what you write." The two of them kept up the small talk until it was time for Nik to clock out. After he did that and making himself a proper drink, a mix of Kracken black spiced rum and coke and then set himself down in the chair next to Lisa.
 
She was taken back that someone actually wanted to hear her play? that was something she had never heard before. Course she was quite really, she only talked mostly to those she had to question for her job. Or those she worked with, it was a good time really, but she really wanted to play for him. It was rather fun to talk with someone who was so open minded, who wasn't against humans. She was reminded of her old friend Rose and it was nice to see another Rose around really, so she nodded to him.

Since really it was only two of them she sat back a bit. "Well Nik if you like I will play for you, since I see a glimpse of a piano in the back. Essh not that I mean to be nosy I'm not" She chuckled a bit to herself. She was sounding like a kid, but she really did hope that she would see him again. She respected that he didn't date humans, so she would never ask him out on a date date, but she did hope to see more of him. Running her fingers in her hair, she knew what song she could play for him.
 
Nik chuckled softly, "Good eyes. Most people wouldn't have noticed that. I'm sure I could convince Cherise to have the guys pull it out." He smiled at her. It had been awhile since he'd actually enjoyed being in a woman's company for once. She was really worth getting to know. Dating wasn't too much of an option, not because she was human, but because she was a cop. Nik didn't have issues with cops, he just didn't want to make things difficult for Lisa. The majority could do their job without bias, but many couldn't and he didn't want her getting hurt because of him.

One would think since concern would be out of place regarding someone he'd just met. It was just how Nik operated. The night was slowly winding down and Jake stretched slowly. "The kids are going to eat me alive tomorrow." When Lisa looked at him he explained, "I work at the youth center downtown. The kids are a bunch of animals on a good day and that's just the human ones."
 
She smiled at him happily, she chuckled when he complimented her on her eye sight. She nodded to him "Thanks, I have the best possible eye sight for a human. I am sure not as great as yours, but they do me just fine" She said happily. And then Nik asked for some of the boys to bring out the piano, which she thought was very sweet of them and she thanked them all personally. The piano was a grand piano, it looked very old as well. So walking up to it, she tested it to make sure it was in order and it was.

Hearing what he said about kids she looked at him "Well that's very kind of you to do that, I like working with kids. Ive helped a few find there way so to speak, I make sure the system doesn't forget the kids that is forced in the horrible system. Even helped some shifter children no one wanted, but I just wish our world was peaceful you know? no killing each other because of gender, sexuality, race. But I guess that is just a world that will never happen, and perhaps I am just foolish" She shrugged.

Then she was relaxed at the piano bench and she rubbed her knuckles and looked at Nik for a moment, trying to think of a song. She began to play a beautiful melody, that lasted about thirteen seconds and then began to sing. Her voice was rather angelic so she was told, she hated the sound of her voice. But she noticed that the people who worked at the bar, began to take notice and listened to her. She sang with all her heart and soul, she showed a part of her she showed no one.

The side she showed was the very lonely side, being proud of one's music was very important to her. She closed her eyes never missing a note, she had lost much in her life. Which was part of the reason why she didn't get close to people, but now? She wanted to get close to Nik he seemed like such a wonderful guy, and after about three minutes and a half the song finished. Enjoying the way the piano made her song sound, she heard clapping from some of the people that worked th ere.

So Cold Song/Lyrics
 
Nik had been expecting something upbeat, instead Lisa gave him emotion and sorrow that really only came from really know deep pain. He watched silently as Lisa threw herself into the song. The few lingering patrons and every employee had stopped what they were doing and by the end everyone was clapping. "That was great Lisa," he walked over and smiled down at her. "You have a wonderful singing voice."

Lisa was proving to be someone really deep. She might show the happy loving side to the whole world, but out side of that, she really let it all out. Looking over his shoulder he noticed the grin on Cherise' face. He knew that look it meant one of two things, either she was gonna try and play matchmaker or she was thinking of offering Lisa the chance to play more often, if not both.

Thankfully it was time to close so whatever mischief she was going to get into would have to wait. After Lisa paid her tab, Nik grabbed his coat and walked her outside. "You really were great tonight."
 
Things in life gave her some pleasure and some pain, though most of the time it was pain since she didn't know what to do with herself. But the way people clapped for her made her feel wonderful, and she bowed a bit at everyone. But she didn't realize how much she loved to play, throwing every ounce of herself. She didn't know how to play happy and upbeat music, which was kinda funny. She sang upbeat music at times but never really put much of her emotion in to it. Since she put her heart in everything she felt.

But she knew time was getting late and paid her tab, she made sure to never drink to the point she gets drunk. And since she didn't live but maybe four blocks away, she decided to walk home. Afraid that getting in a car would get her pulled over or in an accident. But she really enjoyed spending the evening with Nik. But as they walked on outside the bar, she debated rather to ask him out on a friendly date. She wouldn't flirt with him she wasn't like that, unless it was in good fun that he got.

"Nik I was wondering if you wanted to go out on a date with me sometime? I mean on a friend level, like bowling or something? I would like to get to know you better. I feel comfortable talking to you, and no guy has ever made me feel like that" She reached into her pocket and handed him her business card, it had her cell phone number that she kept with her. "I guess I am just hoping to see you again, because everyone in the world could use a friend. At least I could you know?" She smiled.
 
Nik took her car with a smile, "Normally I don't do things like this, but honestly, you're different and very sweet." He slipped the card into his pocket, odds were good they'd run into each other at the bar again, but seeing her away from the noise and the crowd. "By the way, would you like a lift home Lisa?" If she said no it wouldn't be an ego blow, the neighborhood was actually decent, and she was a detective. "My bike's around the corner."
 
She smiled at him and was glad he would at least think about it "normally I don't ask people out, I don't throw myself in the laps of guys. I mean sure I am rather down to earth and I like to joke around, but you really are something else." When he offered her a ride home she smiled at him and nodded to him. "I would appreciate that thank you, been on my feet all day. Thinking about walking home makes my feet hurt more" She chuckled happily. Walking over to her car for a moment, making sure she took what she needed.

Then walked back over to him and noticed his bike and walked up to the bike, stretching a bit she had never been on a motorcycle since they use to scare her. However she was far from afraid of them now, just as a kid she was. "I live four blocks away down on Rose Ave, I am not worried about my car. Thanks for willing to take me home" She said happily and ran her fingers against her neck .
 
Nik made sure his hair was pulled back before slipping his helmet on. He flipped down the extra foot pegs and got onto the bike. Taking it off the kickstand he cranked the engine as Lisa got on behind him. "Hold on," he said as she wrapped her arms around him. When he was sure she was holding tight he eased out of the back lot and then gunned it.

He took it easy, considering they didn't have too far to actually go. Lisa gave his shoulder a pat at the came up to where she lived and he slowed the bike down until they were sitting out front. Having Lisa behind him had actually be fun. Another reminder of how closed off Nik had been lately. "Enjoy the ride?" Nik had cut the engine off.
 
She actually enjoyed the ride, it wasn't scary in the least and enjoyed the thought of being against him. She started to wish she had a boyfriend like him, but she shook her mind out of its "I want" mode and when he stopped the bike she heard what he said. Smiling a bit as she got off the bike, and looked up to her house. It was actually a house, it was small but it was in great condition. Since she just had it repainted. And it was in a rather quite part of the city and it was just a nice place to be.

"Yes had a fun ride, I hope to see you again for a nice chat Nik. You are defiantly someone who have enlightened me. But feel free to call me Nik even if it's just for a friendly chat" She grabbed her keys and wanted to invite him up for coffee. Now she knew that was a cliche for let's have sex, course for her it would be just for coffee and conversation. But didn't offer since she didn't know the guy, and didn't want to push him away for any reason. "We should do lunch sometime, would be my treat"
 
Back
Top