How many of us are there?

acup

Experienced
So I'm looking at my home page with all the numbers, and checking on comments from another Anon about how even though he made it all the way through to the end of the first two chapters I'm the worst author he's ever read.

And I had a question I can't seem to find an answer to. How many ACTIVE authors are there at any one time on the LIt site?

I mean I can see how many followers I have, and how many I'm following... but how many of US are there>

I mean I can see how many followers I have, and how many I'm following... but how many of US are there>

How many active authors? That's hard to guess.

Scanning the new stories I see lots of authors, and few of those are on the AH. The site gets ~600 new posts a week and I would guess the number of active authors is somewhere over that. Probably in the thousands.

That was my thoughts, I was guessing some where around two thousand if you include those that post every once in a while but aren't 'regular' contributors. I didn't know of anywhere that a rolling number might be, but I've never really gone looking for one either.

Ya gotta wonder at the 'all powerful' Anon that thinks his rant will really make a difference in the small percentage of followers I have. I mean the number of readers has got to be in the tens of thousands looking at member numbers.

There are some days I want to block Anonymous comments, but I've gotten some interesting ones besides the rants from several Anon comments.

Actually I have to revise my estimate of readers, I have several followers with member numbers in the three million range. Even with those dropping out after a while it still has to be in the two plus million range of readers.

And I had a question I can't seem to find an answer to. How many ACTIVE authors are there at any one time on the LIt site?

Someone did an analysis several months ago that constructed a reasonable argument that there are possibly 2 -3 million current readers (or views, can't remember) and maybe 5,000 - 10,000 current contributing writers, something of that order.

Someone did an analysis several months ago that constructed a reasonable argument that there are possibly 2 -3 million current readers (or views, can't remember) and maybe 5,000 - 10,000 current contributing writers, something of that order.

And the number of authors who have ever posted in the Authors' Hangout is in the hundreds. We are a rare breed.

The authors hangout isn't really well known. I didn't find out about it until probably six months or better into my first series.

So I'm looking at my home page with all the numbers, and checking on comments from another Anon about how even though he made it all the way through to the end of the first two chapters I'm the worst author he's ever read.

Define active. I haven't posted a story in months. I still plan to, but it's not near the top of the list. I imagine a lot of people are in that category. Because it's hard to define and measure Active, it's not meaningful to come up with a number.

If all you're trying to establish is that you're the worst author among 4,000 or whatever, I wouldn't bother. You posted to the forum in complete sentences, so you're clearly not in the bottom 10% as regards writing. Hope this helps. :)

How many of us are there?

The next question I'd like to know is: 'How many authors have received Anon comments that they are the worst author the Anon has ever read?'

I've noticed many Anon's comments have grammar and spelling errors. I seriously doubt the Anons who make those comments could write a coherent paragraph.

The next question I'd like to know is: 'How many authors have received Anon comments that they are the worst author the Anon has ever read?'.

I suspect everyone, certainly everyone here on AH seems to have received "you're the worst ever" comments from anon (who, no surprise, has zero story credibility of their own, against which to judge). "Delete" is your friend.

I suspect everyone, certainly everyone here on AH seems to have received "you're the worst ever" comments from anon (who, no surprise, has zero story credibility of their own, against which to judge). "Delete" is your friend.

I let them say anything they want about the story or my writing. If they get personal about me or another reader, I just delete them. Anything of the form "1* / cuck shit" earns an automatic delete.

[Politics belongs on the politics board - AH Mod]

rj

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know the AH existed until some time after I started posting stories.

[Politics belong on the politics board - AH Mod]

Wanna take that to the politics board?

The next question I'd like to know is: 'How many authors have received Anon comments that they are the worst author the Anon has ever read?'

I got a comment very much like this. The Anonymous critic said something to the effect that I must be trying to be the worst writer on this site, and if I kept at it I would succeed. Unfortunately, he since has deleted his comment! I rather enjoyed that one. Still, many savage criticisms to that story remain, such as:

"this was just way beyond stupid"

"illiterate cuck shit"

"it's been a long time since I've read a piece of shit like this"

"my god this was bad"

"here eat my used condom"

I got a comment very much like this. The Anonymous critic said something to the effect that I must be trying to be the worst writer on this site, and if I kept at it I would succeed. Unfortunately, he since has deleted his comment! I rather enjoyed that one.

To my knowledge, only you and Laurel can delete comments submitted against stories. So if you didn't delete it, then the site owner is watching.

In the last three months, 8271 stories have been posted to this site. If you look at the search results, you can see that many authors have multiple stories published during that time. 12 chapters of the "Original Angels" series alone were posted during that period, for instance. So, while I haven't surveyed all 8271 stories, I think it's safe to say that well under half that number of authors have published stories in the last three months.

Based on that, I'd estimate that the number of "active" (meaning, those who have published stories in the last six months) authors on this site is between 2,000 and 4,000. But that's just a rough guess.

To my knowledge, only you and Laurel can delete comments submitted against stories. So if you didn't delete it, then the site owner is watching.

Hmmm. I didn't delete it (I haven't deleted any comments) and it wasn't the sort of thing I would think Laurel would delete. Can one not delete one's own comment?

In the last three months, 8271 stories have been posted to this site. If you look at the search results, you can see that many authors have multiple stories published during that time. 12 chapters of the "Original Angels" series alone were posted during that period, for instance. So, while I haven't surveyed all 8271 stories, I think it's safe to say that well under half that number of authors have published stories in the last three months.

True enough. In that period (the last three months) I've posted 19 stories under this account name. But an added wrinkle is what is to be considered a separate author--an actual person or account names. In addition to the stories posted under this account name in the last three months, I've post 7 stories under other account names. Are all of my accounts really a separate author?

Hmmm. I didn't delete it (I haven't deleted any comments) and it wasn't the sort of thing I would think Laurel would delete. Can one not delete one's own comment?

Nope - I've just gone looked at a comment I've left. The only option available is the "Report" icon - the little triangle down the bottom right of the comment box - that goes straight to Laurel, so far as I am aware.

So, someone else can report a comment, and Laurel arbitrates, or you have the ability to delete; but the commenter has no ability to retract themselves. Which is fair, I think.

I've not written nor posted lately but I'm not totally inactive, more 'dormant' like a smoldering volcano, yeah sure. Watch out for upcoming aa flows.

Most LIT authors never reach AH. Most likely never know of this forum, or bother with any forums. I found LIT, read badly-written tales, declared I could write better than that crap, found AH and Story Ideas, and promoted myself to Author, for better or worse.

I don't worry about other LIT authors. Readers regularly find and fave my back catalog so I'm not dissatisfied. If 3759 authors write better stories this month than any I've churned out, fine. If more authors attract more readers, some of whom stumble across my stuff, fine. LIT authors ain't a big community. The count of AH authors is minuscule.

I got a comment very much like this. The Anonymous critic said something to the effect that I must be trying to be the worst writer on this site, and if I kept at it I would succeed. Unfortunately, he since has deleted his comment! I rather enjoyed that one. Still, many savage criticisms to that story remain, such as:

"this was just way beyond stupid"

"illiterate cuck shit"

"it's been a long time since I've read a piece of shit like this"

"my god this was bad"

"here eat my used condom"
I get the exact same comments, word for word. That just seems a little lazy.

As to the disappearing comments, I've seen that too. They seem to happen in bunches. I'll only delete a comment if it's requested by the poster or if it's just a random racist blast. I've deleted a total of 2 comments in the last year, so I know it wasn't me, and I know a couple of the comments that disappeared weren't even negative toward anyone in any sense. Just odd.

Back