Submission format

acup

Experienced
What format does everyone use?

I write in Word and save final versions as a .txt file so I can preview, but with the new portal all my quotes and apostrophes come out as � in preview with the .txt format.

I know I can submit as the .doc, but then no preview.

I used to use rtf if there was formatting to worry about, but these days I just do copy/paste direct text entry and put in the html tags for bold and italics. People here in the forums have been endorsing that method for a long time.

I save the file in Word, New Times Roman, 12 pitch, everything flush left, with one extra return between paragraphs and "* * * *" to separate sections. The only special font I use is italics, which I manually mark with <i>words/passage</i>. I have no need for any others and the formatting across the Literotica story file doesn't encourage any others--and only supports a few others.

I cut and paste the story into the submissions box and a preview copy is provided for me to check before I hit the submission bullet. Really pretty easy. Thus far this has worked 968 times out 968 submissions.

I write in Word and save final versions as a .txt file so I can preview, but with the new portal all my quotes and apostrophes come out as � in preview with the .txt format.

Sounds like a problem with "Smart Quotes" although that is usually cured by saving as text.

In Word, find the "Turn Smart Quotes OFF" and make sure you are NOT using smart quotes. Then do a global find and replace ["] with ["] (without the brackets) Then 'save as text' and see if that fixes the problem.

Draft and save as .rtf

No fancy text, straight into the site editor, hassle free. Submit, Laurel does her thing. Done. Easy.

Who needs bold, italics, pretty colours? Not me. Luddite, still got my old Nokia phone!

It's the smart quotes. Had an issue with that myself in the new control panel.

When you save as text, make absolutely sure that you're saving it as pure .txt Then close the document and reopen it before copy/pasting. If you don't close and reopen, the original is still on screen with the smart quotes and such, and that's what you copy.

The new control panel doesn't seem to handle uploading the .txt file properly either.

I reported the bugs when I happened across them.

If saving as text doesn't work properly within Word, go back to basics, paste it into Wordpad, and then save it as text from there.

It's the smart quotes. Had an issue with that myself in the new control panel.

When you save as text, make absolutely sure that you're saving it as pure .txt Then close the document and reopen it before copy/pasting. If you don't close and reopen, the original is still on screen with the smart quotes and such, and that's what you copy.

The new control panel doesn't seem to handle uploading the .txt file properly either.

I reported the bugs when I happened across them.

If saving as text doesn't work properly within Word, go back to basics, paste it into Wordpad, and then save it as text from there.

There's an interesting programme called "JARTE" which saves in .rtf.
And it has a dictionary, etc.

Yeah, I found that too, which is why I shifted to .rtf

I don't get the preview as last chance to find edit mistakes though, so I have to get the best copy possible in the draft.

Even then, when I see the story on Lit - Wtf, how did I miss those? Still, 3-4 typos every 5k words - that's a pretty good error rate. I mean, I work for government agencies where 3% is a good error rate. Mind you, they don't write for Lit...

I'm still using the old Control Panel and will as long as it is available.

I'm still using the old Control Panel and will as long as it is available.

Ditto here. I'll wait to see what works for me in the new control panel when/if it gets here (and I'm still posting stories then).

I use LibreOffice and save as *.txt. The only problem I've had with the method came when I saved it as ASCII text.

Do you have options for the character set you use in the txt file? If so, check and make sure it doesn't default to ASCII. Everything else I've submitted used UTF-8 (Unicode) and it's worked, though the last time I posted Laurel ask that I let her know in the notes section that it was in UTF-8.

Will have to look into the smart quotes. Never dealt with it before. I'm using Office 2010 if anyone wants to point it out to me.

So I was one of the beta users for the new portal, how the heck do you get back to the old one?

Now I just have to figure out why this forum is not sending me emails when new posts pop up ON MY OWN THREAD!

Will have to look into the smart quotes. Never dealt with it before. I'm using Office 2010 if anyone wants to point it out to me.
(from the office 2010 help page.)
  1. On the File tab, click Options.
  2. Click Proofing, and then click AutoCorrect Options.
  3. In the AutoCorrect dialog box, do the following:
    • Click the AutoFormat As You Type tab, and under Replace as you type, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with “smart quotes” check box.
    • Click the AutoFormat tab, and under Replace, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with “smart quotes” check box.
  4. Click OK.

Also, there might be problems if it auto-corrects ... to ellipsis. I had to make similar changes in Google Docs.

So here's a good one.

Acup changed his email address Tuesday. He has yet to receive his validation code to 'reactivate' his account, despite several messages sent to the webmaster, and one this morning to Manu.

Back