Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 09-18-2002, 01:49 PM   #1
Laurel
Kitty Mama

Thumbs up BOOOO!! It's the Literotica Halloween Story Contest!!

Hi writers!

October 31st is approaching, which means it's time to stock up on mini candy bars, get out the talking goblin, and get ready for the Literotica Halloween Erotic Story Contest approacheth! We will accept entries starting on Monday September 23rd, and we will stop accepting contest entries on October 23. On Halloween Day, October 31, we will announce the 3 winners. This contest will coexist with the usual monthly contest. Stories may only win one or the other, not both contests simultaneously.

All rules for the monthly contests are in place. The only exception to the rules is that we will allow authors who have won in our monthly contests within the last 6 months to win in this special contest. However, if you have won a prize in another theme contest within the last 6 months, you are not eligible to win in this one.

The following guidelines also apply:

- All contest stories must be submitted via our online form. If you are a WebTV user or have difficulty with the form, follow the instructions here.

- Author must put the phrase "HALLOWEEN STORY CONTEST 2002" in the "Notes" field of the submission.

- Story must have a Halloween theme. Please don't just submit a normal story and simply dress the participants in costume. That would not be in the spirit of the contest, and readers & voters would probably punish you for your trickiness.

Any story that meets the above criteria will be automatically entered into the contest, and winners will be decided by reader input. The prizes for the top 3 stories will be the same as those award in the monthly contests.

Good luck, and have fun!

Old 09-18-2002, 01:54 PM   #2
Chicklet
plays well with self

double take

Hey there,

I read through the description above and was going to comment on how it said that stories must take place on Valentine's Day, but then when I quoted it it had changed, and I refreshed and it said Halloween Themed instead! Wow, I must be going crazy!

Wink

Chicklet

Old 09-22-2002, 07:45 PM   #3
Quiet_Cool
Learning to Fly

Sorry to be a pain, but can you better explain "Halloween Theme"?
I guess I don't have what it takes, right?

I wish that I was strong, that I could walk away
All this time I've lost, I feel the cost repaid

So save today, the secret's that you prayed for
And wait, cause we deserve it so much more
So save, the secret's that your prayed for, awake
I'll see you on the other side

--Seether Save Today

A peek at Q_C

Old 09-22-2002, 09:02 PM   #4
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet_Cool
Sorry to be a pain, but can you better explain "Halloween Theme"?
There is a discussion about Do's, Don't's and Possible plots for halloween here: http://www.literotica.com/forum/show...hreadid=113225

Essentially, a Halloween themed story has a plot that revolves around halloween -- Ghost stories, halloween parties, trick-or-treating, Historical Fantasies about All Hallows Eve or the pagan celebrations that preceded it, etc.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

Old 09-23-2002, 12:11 AM   #5
wildsweetone
i am what i am

Witches, wizards, frogs, gizzards,
Ghouls, goblins, grime, gremlins,
Vampires and vagabonds, halloween is coming...

Pumpkins, eggs, masks, monsters,
Blood, bananas, candles, canaries,
Tricking and treating, halloween is coming...

Chanting, ranting, peeking, seeking,
Haunting, flaunting, flattering, battering,
Scaring and snearing, halloween is coming.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:14 PM   #6
Svenskaflicka
Fountain

The habit of celebrating Halloween didn't start here until about 6-8 years ago. Some people think it's outrageous how these American customs are seducing the innocent children and turning them away from the more Swedish way of celebrating All Hallow's Eve. Yeah, kids would be better off dressing upp in velvet and silk, lighting candles and going to mass... Like Christmas, minus the presents...

I love dressing up, I love ghost stories, and Halloween is a GREAT excuse for combining these two things! I'll think of something for this contest!!!

Old 09-23-2002, 06:12 PM   #7
Quiet_Cool
Learning to Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Weird Harold

There is a discussion about Do's, Don't's and Possible plots for halloween here: http://www.literotica.com/forum/show...hreadid=113225

Essentially, a Halloween themed story has a plot that revolves around halloween -- Ghost stories, halloween parties, trick-or-treating, Historical Fantasies about All Hallows Eve or the pagan celebrations that preceded it, etc.
Basicaly, anything that might fall in the "Non-human" category...and a few things that would fall into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category, not to mentin the cliches mentioned in that thread?

I'm asking because a story I'm working on might be good for the contest, but it makes no actual mention of Halloween, and is a little...well, less than spooky, quite frankly. Perhaps another would be more attuned to the spirit of things.

--Seether Save Today

A peek at Q_C

Last edited by Quiet_Cool : 09-23-2002 at 06:16 PM.

Old 09-23-2002, 08:32 PM   #8
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet_Cool
I'm asking because a story I'm working on might be good for the contest, but it makes no actual mention of Halloween, and is a little...well, less than spooky, quite frankly. Perhaps another would be more attuned to the spirit of things.
I don't think "Spooky" is what will win the contest. It's certainly not an absolute requirement for a halloween theme -- A boring night of passing out candy while being teased unmercifully by your spouse is just as much a halloween theme as a ghost story would be.

All Hallow's Eve is traditionally a time when the veil between the living and spirit worlds thins, but there are many less mystical aspects to halloween today. There is nothing that requires a halloween story to get mystical or supernatural to qualify -- although hlloween is the perfect time to get those mystical stories out of your system.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:32 PM   #9
Never
Come What May

Yeaaaah!
Art is about modes of engagement with the world, not modes of avoiding it. The key thing is that some forms of engagement are liberating, and others enslaving; and simple "distraction" falls under the logic of the latter.

Old 09-24-2002, 05:19 PM   #10
wildsweetone
i am what i am

Quote:
A boring night of passing out candy while being teased unmercifully by your spouse is just as much a halloween theme as a ghost story would be.
'boring'?

Old 09-24-2002, 07:06 PM   #11
Quiet_Cool
Learning to Fly

Re: BOOOO!! It's the Literotica Halloween Story Contest!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurel
Hi writers!

October 31st is approaching, which means it's time to stock up on mini candy bars, get out the talking goblin, and get ready for the Literotica Halloween Erotic Story Contest approacheth! We will accept entries starting on Monday September 23rd, and we will stop accepting contest entries on October 23. On Halloween Day, October 31, we will announce the 3 winners. This contest will coexist with the usual monthly contest. Stories may only win one or the other, not both contests simultaneously.

All rules for the monthly contests are in place. The only exception to the rules is that we will allow authors who have won in our monthly contests within the last 6 months to win in this special contest. However, if you have won a prize in another theme contest within the last 6 months, you are not eligible to win in this one.

The following guidelines also apply:

- All contest stories must be submitted via our online form. If you are a WebTV user or have difficulty with the form, follow the instructions here.

- Author must put the phrase "HALLOWEEN STORY CONTEST 2002" in the "Notes" field of the submission.

- Story must have a Halloween theme. Please don't just submit a normal story and simply dress the participants in costume. That would not be in the spirit of the contest, and readers & voters would probably punish you for your trickiness.

Any story that meets the above criteria will be automatically entered into the contest, and winners will be decided by reader input. The prizes for the top 3 stories will be the same as those award in the monthly contests.

Good luck, and have fun!
Technically speaking, if I write"Halloween Story Contest 2002" in the Notes field, and it doesn't fit the contest, they'll let me know, right? If it does, they'll enter it?
I could try this, but I'll feel as though I'm wasting thier time...
(only saying "thier" because I'm unsure who all reads the stories being submitted...can Laurel possibly read them ALL?)

--Seether Save Today

A peek at Q_C

Old 09-24-2002, 08:55 PM   #12
Quasimodem
Literotica Guru

Quote:
... I'm unsure who all reads the stories being submitted...can Laurel possibly read them ALL? ...
Yes 'she' can, Quiet_Cool!

Don't you know that "Laurel" is an acronym?
It stands for Language Analog Ubiquitous Repository for Erotic Liturature.

Version 2.03 I believe.

Scary, no?

- Quasi

Old 09-24-2002, 11:33 PM   #13
Wildfire427
Experienced

Silly Question...Maybe

Does a Halloween submission have to fit in a certain catagory or are all entries bunched together?

Old 09-24-2002, 11:54 PM   #14
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Re: Silly Question...Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildfire427
Does a Halloween submission have to fit in a certain catagory or are all entries bunched together?
If you submit a story to the halloween contest, it goes in the category that would normally apply, AND it gets linked to the halloween story contest page as well (IF Laurel creates a single page with all the contest stories -- she doesn't always create separate page.)

Old 09-25-2002, 02:22 AM   #15
Laurel
Kitty Mama

Re: Re: Silly Question...Maybe

Quote:
If you submit a story to the halloween contest, it goes in the category that would normally apply, AND it gets linked to the halloween story contest page as well.
Exactly. It gets listed like a normal story in its category, and also listed here:

http://www.literotica.com/contests/halloween2002.html

That page is now linked in the News section of the site, and will replace the Valentine's Day link on the Story Index very soon.

Old 09-28-2002, 08:24 PM   #16
Never
Come What May

*waves hand wildly*

Question!
Question!

I just finished a Halloween poem and I want to submit it.. but, I also want to submit a story I'm working on to the same contest.

Is that digable?
Art is about modes of engagement with the world, not modes of avoiding it. The key thing is that some forms of engagement are liberating, and others enslaving; and simple "distraction" falls under the logic of the latter.

Old 09-29-2002, 05:17 PM   #17
lizthewizz2000
Experienced

Cool Acronym

Hmm...I thought LAUREL was an acronym for Lesbians Amorously Undulating having Recently Eaten Ladies...or

Labia Arousal Upon Reading Erotic Literature...or

Lovely Areolae Urging Rough (not too rough!) Erogenous Licking

:-P Liz

Old 10-01-2002, 03:38 AM   #18
cherrylips_au
Perhaps perhaps perhaps

Halloween request.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in looking over the story I have finished for the contest?

As Halloween isn't really celebrated in Australia I would appreciate someone looking over the story to see if the content of it was suitable to the theme.

Pm me if your willing and I'll send you the story. Thanks.

Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley.
My Stories

Old 10-01-2002, 04:17 AM   #19
karmadog
Now I'm a drink behind.

Outside of the US, where is Halloween celebrated? I think I read that Svenskaflicka said that in Sweden they had started celebrating (fairly recently), but who else? I find that interesting. I can't possibly be the only person.

Tell us.

Conan O'Brien

Old 10-05-2002, 06:42 PM   #20
NaughtyMike
Really Experienced

My story appeared in the New Story Section, but not the Halloween section, is there a delay, or did I goof? Is is possible to change it if there was an error? I noticed a few Halloween type stories are in the new story section, but not Halloween.

Old 10-05-2002, 09:18 PM   #21
Weird Harold
Opinionated Old Fart

Quote:
Originally posted by NaughtyMike
My story appeared in the New Story Section, but not the Halloween section, is there a delay, or did I goof? Is is possible to change it if there was an error? I noticed a few Halloween type stories are in the new story section, but not Halloween.
You should PM Laurel about this. If you didn't enable voting, your story won't be included in the contest (the winner is determined by member votes.)

Old 10-05-2002, 10:59 PM   #22
NaughtyMike
Really Experienced

Great e-mail Laura. She hasn't one of a half dozen e-mails in the last year, now she is going to answer this one? I doubt it. I think the whole thing is rigged so some stupid lesbian story will win.

Old 10-05-2002, 11:10 PM   #23
Quasimodem
Literotica Guru

Mike,

How, exactly, would "some stupid lesbian story" even qualify as a "Halloween Story"...

Or, did some nasty dyke frighten you

Old 10-06-2002, 06:09 AM   #24
Svenskaflicka
Fountain

Quote:
Originally posted by NaughtyMike
I think the whole thing is rigged so some stupid lesbian story will win.

Rats! And here I was hoping for some stupid fag story to win.

Old 10-06-2002, 06:26 AM   #25
Lovepotion69
Going with the flow

Hiya people,

Ok, I'm considering entering the contest. So, let me just get this straight;

A Halloween theme includes anything considered mystical or just in a Halloween setting.

It also states that "Story must have a Halloween theme. Please don't just submit a normal story and simply dress the participants in costume."

Eh, pardon me but where does the line for a "normal" story and a Halloween one go if I'm not sticking to talking about mysticism or pumpkins?
I'm basically not allowed to have the characters go to a masquerade ball, unless I add the word "Halloween" before it? And if I write about witches or vampires, what makes this different from a normal sci-fic/non-human category? Just that I add that the vampire hunts on Halloween night?

Sorry about the questions. If I enter it'll be my first entry to Lit....

/LP
This is the way that we love, like it's forever
Then live the rest of our life - but not together

My stories.