How to enable pain to become pleasure?

boz

Really Experienced
I have a question about the pleasure-to-pain connection that I think maybe some in this forum could shed some light on.

I have discovered that I have erotically sensitive nipples. It doesn't do much for me if I touch them, but it's like a direct electrical current to my groin when someone else touches them.

And, like most body parts, they have varying degrees of sensitivity on different days. Usually though, relatively light touches with fingers or a tongue feels best.

But sometimes I like rough touches, and in one and only one instance, I got to the point where the pain actually became pleasure. It was as if there was a threshold line that I had crossed where the pain was no longer a different sensation from pleasure, but was directly pleasure itself.

My assumption is that this is a common experience for many subs, and my question is: if and when I want to try to achieve this again, what is the best way to get to this point again?

I guess a slow build-up may be part of it, but are there some other things that I should consider? Any ideas appreciated.

No one answer

boz:

For me personally, I have come to learn there is no one answer to why some pain becomes pleasure. I do not consider myself a masochist, but have, like you, found that at times what I would otherwise consider painful becomes intensely erotic (especially the nipples, as you have experienced). I have found it to be a combination of factors- but especially build up, atmosphere (love those haunting background melodies), and relationship with my partner, with "technique" somewhere in there too.

I've sometimes wished there was a "magic formula", but at least for me, there's not. There have been times when something I found very pleasurable last week, this week is not...and at times I just kind of "grin and bear it" and do get a distinct pleasure from pleasing my partner, which makes it special, if not the same erotic pleasure as on a previous occasion.

I'd be interested to see others' response!

- justina

boz said:
My assumption is that this is a common experience for many subs, and my question is: if and when I want to try to achieve this again, what is the best way to get to this point again?

I guess a slow build-up may be part of it, but are there some other things that I should consider? Any ideas appreciated.

I have experienced the pain/pleasure thing. It was discussed recently in a thread started by Shadowsdream.

http://www.literotica.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99908

I cannot give you are sure fired way of achieving what you want. One thing I will share though is the fact that if you set out with the thought in your mind that you want the pain to turn to pleasure, it seldom will. You have to try and empty your mind of such thoughts and let it respond to what your body is feeling.

I do hope this makes sense ... ?

There have been times when something I found very pleasurable last week, this week is not

Yes, and all kinds of factors come into play. For example, I have a slight allergy to shellfish like shrimps or crab, but usually can eat a little bit with no problem. However, if I do eat a little bit, I've discovered that it makes me sensitive and ticklish all over. Now, I'm normally not ticklish at all, so it's quite interesting when it happens.

And, I don't think I'm seeking the kind of control that would allow me to decide, "Well, today I'd like to experience nipple pain as pleasure". I'm more curious about the times that I feel close to that level. I wonder if there might there something that might help me get there?

I cannot give you are sure fired way of achieving what you want.

One thing I will share though is the fact that if you set out with the thought in your mind that you want the pain to turn to pleasure, it seldom will. You have to try and empty your mind of such thoughts and let it respond to what your body is feeling.

WillowPuss:

I know what you mean about setting out to do it and it not happening..

It is interesting, though. A few times I have been close to that same point, and yet, not quite. The pain still seemed a separate sensation. Not unwelcome, but still individual.

But on that one occassion, it was as if my wires got crossed in my brain and the pain *was* pleasure.

Is the experience similar for you?

I think I know what you mean.

With me, it is as if a dam has suddenly burst.
(Its at times like this that I really wish I could express myself better!)

I think this is like a zen thing. The difference between pain and pleasure is just interpretation. I mean whats up with eating hot peppers? It hurts but its good, right?
But you cant just say OK this time I will think this is pleasure, its not that simple. I think you sort of have to let your mind go blank a little and refocus, like when you see those pictures, is it a vase or two faces.
But ya know I dont know from it myself, I am a total wuss about recieving pain myself. But I am an enthusiastic donor.

Perhaps, Mz Christa.

Pain is a warning signal that says, hey, part of your body is or may be being damaged. (People born without pain receptors tend to live very short lives.)

Years ago when I trained in karate, the pain of training was pleasurable to me because it was a reminder that I was pushing my body and I knew consciously that it was a good thing, that I was getting in better physical condition and getting better at something that I wanted to learn. But still, I was aware of pain as pain.

Maybe I just got to the point where I was wanting intense sensation so much that that desire grabbed the pain sensation as food and re-interpreted it.

Still hoping there are others out there besides me and WillowPuss that have experienced this and might be willing to add their thoughts ....

What I've found works for me is trying to turn the whole body into an erogenous zone. Have your partner touch you in a way that turns you on all over your body, and then "bring" the sensation of especially pleasurable body parts out to other areas of your body. For example, have her (I'm assuming you're male and hetero, forgive me if I'm wrong) run her fingers up your thigh, stroke your cock for a while and without breaking contact with your skin run her fingers elsewhere. The sensations seem to trail.

When I'm in that state of mind, pain hurts less and less, and I require more and more to actually feel the pain itself. This might work for you too. If not, it's sure a fun experiment. :D

When I'm in that state of mind, pain hurts less and less, and I require more and more to actually feel the pain itself. This might work for you too. If not, it's sure a fun experiment.

It sounds like something to try.

Although, I don't want the pain to hurt less. I think I want to want the pain more, if that makes any sense.

Personal opinion

MzChrista mentioned zen.

Kind of an interesting choice. Also apt. You can't will it to become pleasure, you can't consciously manipulate your sensation that way.

Pain is an alert signal of potential damage. All I can say is have a purpose other than the pain, greater than yourself, and when it doesn't matter whether it's pain or pleasure, that's when it will become pleasure.

Not 100% guaranteed, but it's a good way to start.

Pain thresholds, for most people, increase with sexual arousal, and decrease with stress and tension. Maximizing the situation to become more erotic and less stressful will help. This is one more reason we stress the importance of trust in bdsm. trusting your partner is not only important in terms of safety, but of effectiveness as well.
It should be pointed out that there is a physical as well as mental aspect to the pain/pleasure dichotomy. The body responds to pain by releasing endorphines to the system.
Speaking for myself, a slow buildup of sensation is important. Just leaping into activity is counterproductive, as the early , non erotic pain can cause me to feel stress,and get into a negative cycle.
But a slow buildup, beginning with just touching, progressing toward heavier play, will carry me along with it, until I reach the point where I process all the sensation I feel as pleasurable.

really find myself agreeing with CarolineOh. well said and true for me; trust, slow buildup, easy does it.

Caroline,

But a slow buildup, beginning with just touching, progressing toward heavier play, will carry me along with it, until I reach the point where I process all the sensation I feel as pleasurable.

Do you get to the point with this, like I mentioned earlier, where the pain sensation is not just pleasurable/desireable, but is actually processed by the brain as pleasure?

All part of the research process. Research is fun!

The erotic aspect

I think it is the erotic aspect of it all. Hitting your thumb with a hammer just plain+*#$! HURTS!! But when you are aroused and someone does something a little painful and your naked, aroused, exposed, it mentally pushes the pleasure buttons, and if it is a new exsperience, or not expected, or unusuall it is even that much more pleasurable. I also belive that neural path ways grow stronger, once you have found a little joy from pain, your body begins to seek it , want it, and the joy factor increases. What once was pain is now pleasure. Like as a kid you hated strong foods, garlic,onion or beer, now you crave the sensation, it shocks your taste buds out of boredom.

boz said:
Caroline,

Do you get to the point with this, like I mentioned earlier, where the pain sensation is not just pleasurable/desireable, but is actually processed by the brain as pleasure?

All part of the research process. Research is fun!

Yes, absolutely. Particularly from long methodical spanking or flogging. After a while, it is purely pleasurable, and results in a pleasurable state that lingers after the activity itself ends.

CarolineOh said:

Yes, absolutely. Particularly from long methodical spanking or flogging. After a while, it is purely pleasurable, and results in a pleasurable state that lingers after the activity itself ends.

Translation: she stumbles around like she just smoked a half pound of weed, all bleary eyed and giggling .
Uh huh seen her do it.

Back