Poetry Blurty

She was born last Tuesday at 9:12 am

49cm
7lb 6ounces

All fingers and toes present :p

Congratulations todski! That is wonderful news:D:D:D

Mama is doing better now but is having a hard time after having a cesarean, however this one has been an easier recovery due to a new procedure they use of inserting a drainage pump in to the wound area to remove pooling blood and reduce the amount of swelling, she was out of hospital the Thursday night.

The other kids are besotted with the newest addition and thank god she is a sleeper only wakes two to three times a night, as opposed to all the others who fed every half hour :|

Glad to hear mama is doing better. That is a big recovery, but sounds like the little one is cooperating. So nice your older kids are besotted. :heart:

I really like this Rilke poem.

Untitled [Do you still remember: falling stars]
Rainer Maria Rilke, 1875 - 1926

Do you still remember: falling stars,
how they leapt slantwise through the sky
like horses over suddenly held-out hurdles
of our wishes—did we have so many?—
for stars, innumerable, leapt everywhere;
almost every gaze upward became
wedded to the swift hazard of their play,
and our heart felt like a single thing
beneath that vast disintegration of their brilliance—
and was whole, as if it would survive them

I really like this Rilke poem.

Untitled [Do you still remember: falling stars]
Rainer Maria Rilke, 1875 - 1926

[...]

Angeline, Rilke's poem is just (barely :)) good enough to write about it in

so that I can show you easily that it's a poor poem (and don't pay too much attention to trivial folks who kneel and loudly pray to the oh-sooo-well-established authorities :)).

Angeline, Rilke's poem is just (barely :)) good enough to write about it in

so that I can show you easily that it's a poor poem (and don't pay too much attention to trivial folks who kneel and loudly pray to the oh-sooo-well-established authorities :)).

I just like it Senna. I'm not trying to establish it as anyone else's standard of great poetry. I still like Matthew Arnold's Dover Beach, too, though you went to some lengths many years back trying to prove to me that it's bad poetry! There's no accounting for people's tastes, I suppose. Also, to suggest I (or anyone) likes something simply because it's by a "well-established authority" is presumptuous. I don't really know why you like what you like, but I respect that you're entitled to your tastes. That's true even when I don't agree with them. 🙂

Best,
A.

I just like it Senna.

This attitude reduces the value of PF&D to next to nothing.

I still like Matthew Arnold's Dover Beach [...] A.

Correct me if I am wrong -- you did acknowledge that the ancient Chinese poem which I have presented was on a clearly higher poetic level than your favorite M.A.'s "D.B.". Are you now sorry for having that discussion in the past? Is it something that now you'd rather avoid?

-

Last edited:
This attitude reduces the value of PF&D to next to nothing.

Correct me if I am wrong -- you did acknowledge that the ancient Chinese poem which I have presented was on a clearly higher poetic level than your favorite M.A.'s "D.B.". Are you now sorry for having that discussion in the past? Is it something that now you'd rather avoid?

-

If you say so. I don't recall your poem. To be honest I might have said it was better so you'd stop arguing with me. Or maybe I did think you were right at that time.

I do wish to avoid arguing about poems with you. It is not a good use of our time. It won't go anywhere. You're unyielding and I don't respond well to browbeating.

C H A O S

If you say so. I don't recall your poem. To be honest I might have said it was better so you'd stop arguing with me. Or maybe I did think you were right at that time.

I do wish to avoid arguing about poems with you. It is not a good use of our time. It won't go anywhere. You're unyielding and I don't respond well to browbeating.

If Rybka, Wicked Eve, AnnaSwirl, Liar, ... were here you'd act differently.

All this your language above is uncalled for. "To be honest" I didn't give you any pretext for using your phrases like:
  • arguing (x2)
  • not a good use
  • won't go anywhere
  • unyielding
  • browbeating

"To be honest", change PF&D to BSF&D, so there will be no need to pretend that this board is more than a phony social exercise which has nothing to do with poetry.

A quote from Angeline (her "you" is me), after I had posted "To his wife" by Chinese general Su Wu:

I'm always interested in your opinions about poems and I always learn from you.

The Su Wu poem is elegaic. It is unadorned. I think that is the quality that gives it power. The last line especially is very moving because, unlike the rest of the poem which is a list of things the narrator actually does or will do, that is something that may or may not be true. We may not be timeless and the narrator may not be able to think of his wife if he does not return. So that line expresses hope, summarizes the vulnerability of his situation and gives life to the whole poem.

Then you-Angeline presented Dover Beach by Mattew Arnold, and you asked me

Is it well written? If not, why?

My answer (just a quote):

Su Wu's poem is honest, the emotion is true. The poem by Matthew Arnold fails to have these qualities... M.Arnold's...is a professional superficiality.​

Angeline's turn:

Thank you Senna. I appreciate the time you put into this. It's food for thought. I agree with what you say about Arnold vs Wu Su [...]

The Wu Su poem IS truer [...]

This is instructive and I thank you for it.

[...]

I'm glad you're a social creature. You always get me thinking.

Oh, well, the world is just CHAOS.

Senna kindly be good enough to leave Angeline alone, she is not well and can do without you chip, chip, chipping away. She's already said she doesn't want to discuss it further with you, so kindly back off and let it go.

rude

to mods
to posters
who won't bow down
worship His word
His scripture
acknowledge him as the font
of all poetic knowledge
tenets set in stone
why the site permits him to remain
is beyond me
why he chooses to stay
is an audience

Last edited:
my courtesy copy of Persian Sugar in English Tea Vol.II arrived today. nice presentation. cover work's by an artist/musician who's the wife of another contributor to the anthology in English with Farsi translations. his works (poetry laid out with art/as art) hang in some decent galleries. got 6 pieces in this book so thought i'd better get it, and will make sure i get copies from now on. i've even forgotten the names of some of the books my pieces have been published in where i didn't :rolleyes:

Last edited:
my courtesy copy of Persian Sugar in English Tea Vol.II arrived today. nice presentation. cover work's by an artist/musician who's the wife of another contributor to the anthology in English with Farsi translations. his works (poetry laid out with art/as art) hang in some decent galleries. got 6 pieces in this book so thought i'd better get it, and will make sure i get copies from now on. i've even forgotten the names of some of the books my pieces have been published in where i didn't :rolleyes:

Congrats on the publication. 🙂

Excellent news, Ms. b.! Congratulations on the pub credit. :rose:

Super! Congratulations :rose:

i think i have a problem. okay, it's not a BIG problem, but i'm having an issue turning my brain off when i begin engaging with forms like the sonnet and limericks! both create an allergic reaction for me, like some people with alcohol or drugs - i don't especially want to write one, but once i do it's hard to stop! and it's not as if they're even really good, just fluff :eek::eek:

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP MEEEEEEEE

i think i have a problem. okay, it's not a BIG problem, but i'm having an issue turning my brain off when i begin engaging with forms like the sonnet and limericks! both create an allergic reaction for me, like some people with alcohol or drugs - i don't especially want to write one, but once i do it's hard to stop! and it's not as if they're even really good, just fluff :eek::eek:

I am having the opposite allergy
I am not sure I am able to write a sonnet at all.
It feels impossible.
Allergic. Yes.

I am having the opposite allergy
I am not sure I am able to write a sonnet at all.
It feels impossible.
Allergic. Yes.

Being a good poet (and you both are) means you can stretch yourselves beyond your comfort zone. Just trying, as butters has proved, all things are possible if you only try instead of saying 'I can't'! I said that when I first came here until WickedEve kicked me up the backside and kept urging me to try, so much so that I didn't even like her very much! She saw more in me than I ever knew I had, so after going off in a huff I did return and I did try. Wherever you are Eve thank you and I'll carry on your good work and keep pushing until somewhere somebody actually listens and tries! *Hmmm there's a lot of 'tries' in that rant, but I mean every one of them*

Being a good poet (and you both are) means you can stretch yourselves beyond your comfort zone. Just trying, as butters has proved, all things are possible if you only try instead of saying 'I can't'! I said that when I first came here until WickedEve kicked me up the backside and kept urging me to try, so much so that I didn't even like her very much! She saw more in me than I ever knew I had, so after going off in a huff I did return and I did try. Wherever you are Eve thank you and I'll carry on your good work and keep pushing until somewhere somebody actually listens and tries! *Hmmm there's a lot of 'tries' in that rant, but I mean every one of them*

I did not say "I can't" (not actually in my lexicon unless I am holding a boundary.)

I expressed uncertainty and reservation about this challenge.
So far, since I joined this challenge started by Harry, I do not think I have missed submitting some kind of effort. I think that is a pretty good track record. I do not intend to miss this week either.
:)

Good on WickedEve for being relentless in her encouragement. :rose:

Back