The 2019 Literotica Geek Pride Story Event: Official Support Thread

Chloe would you talk to Laurel about the other categories? Make sure she's ok with Geek stories in places other than Sci fi.

I understand that Chloe intentionally broadened to scope of Geek Pride so that it wouldn't completely overload SciFi/Fantasy.

Some of the ideas I've heard haven't been very geeky. I'm not sure that a story about geeks doing normal things is the same thing as a geeky story, which I think of as a story that appeals to geeks.

I understand that Chloe intentionally broadened to scope of Geek Pride so that it wouldn't completely overload SciFi/Fantasy.

Some of the ideas I've heard haven't been very geeky. I'm not sure that a story about geeks doing normal things is the same thing as a geeky story, which I think of as a story that appeals to geeks.

It should definitely be overtly geeky or geek themed in some way. Everyone's going to have to work that one out on their own.

Rules 1 and 3 apply and I'll specifically run that by Laurel again just to triple check, but I think you can take it for granted you can do any category as long as it's a geek-themed story.

1. Have an awesome idea with some kind of geeky theme. Sci-Fi or Fantasy is the most likely category, but if you want to get geeky in any other category, you go for it!
3. Any geeky subject, any category, any length you like. But please, only stand-alone stories (if you want to clarify that, just ask right here in this Official Support Thread).

I understood Chloe's message above to be a clear invitation to submit non-sci fi stories so long as they have something geeky about them. My story definitely is NOT science fiction. It involves characters who are geeky fans of science fiction, specifically Star Trek. If I'm incorrect and all stories must be in sci fi then I'll skip the event.

You are correct, Simon. Geeky fans is perfectly fine and that's what I'm doing myself. A Cosplay Fancon... kawaii girls or something like that... oooooh

Last edited:
1. Have an awesome idea with some kind of geeky theme. Sci-Fi or Fantasy is the most likely category, but if you want to get geeky in any other category, you go for it!
3. Any geeky subject, any category, any length you like. But please, only stand-alone stories (if you want to clarify that, just ask right here in this Official Support Thread).

There's kindof an issue about what "geeky" means. A story about Sheldon is strictly mainstream. A story that would grab Sheldon's imagination would probably be geeky.

There's kindof an issue about what "geeky" means. A story about Sheldon is strictly mainstream. A story that would grab Sheldon's imagination would probably be geeky.

Let's just go with the dictionary definition

geek·y
/ˈɡēkē/Submit
adjective
unfashionable and socially inept.
knowledgeable and obsessively interested in something, especially technology.

noun
a digital-technology expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often used disparagingly by others).

a person who has excessive enthusiasm for and some expertise about a specialized subject or activity:
a foreign-film geek.

a peculiar person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward.

verb (used without object)
to be overexcited about a specialized subject or activity, or to talk about it with excessive enthusiasm (usually followed by out ): I could geek out about sci-fi for hours.

I assume the no-beastiality rule does not apply to insects?
No fucking actual non-sentient animals, be they insects, amphibians, reptiles, fish, birds, molluscs, mammals, or Republicans. Fantasy critters are okay, and speaking creatures as the speech isn't a hallucination. Nobody has yet shot down my idea of giant lesbian mantids.

But smearing yourself with tasty goodies to entice mindless banana slugs or caterpillars to slither you to orgasm -- no way. Sure, it's geeky, but ick...

Didn’t this come up last year, too?

Let’s let Chloe set the parameters. Then we can jump in, or not.

geek·y
/ˈɡēkē/Submit
adjective

noun
a digital-technology expert or enthusiast (a term of pride as self-reference, but often used disparagingly by others).

a person who has excessive enthusiasm for and some expertise about a specialized subject or activity:
a foreign-film geek.

a peculiar person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual, unfashionable, or socially awkward.

to be overexcited about a specialized subject or activity, or to talk about it with excessive enthusiasm (usually followed by out ): I could geek out about sci-fi for hours.

Under this definition, my story definitely qualifies, even though it's not sci fi or about technology.

If she's sufficiently obsessive about clumsiness or flapping, I suppose so.

adjective

The characters doesn't even need to be obsessive.

Last year, as I recall, the event was for space operas, future distopia and such--strictly SciFi. We had excellent stories that didn't really fit that description, but most stories didn't stray very far.

The characters doesn't even need to be obsessive.

Last year, as I recall, the event was for space operas, future distopia and such--strictly SciFi. We had excellent stories that didn't really fit that description, but most stories didn't stray very far.
It wasn't specified as such, but as we all know, when folk are under pressure they revert to what they know ;).

It was in fact open-ended, just Sci-Fi and Fantasy + Geek, which is a very broad brush indeed.

Of the Gulliverian / Laputian sort?

Not really. More along the lines of:

She goes to a party wearing last year's colors. She dips a bit of spiked punch from the bowl and when she turns around she spills it on the good-looking guy behind her. He rolls his eyes, and she stammers an apology.

Unfashionable. Awkward. Clumsy. Completely consistent with the geeky definition.

Not really. More along the lines of:

She goes to a party wearing last year's colors. She dips a bit of spiked punch from the bowl and when she turns around she spills it on the good-looking guy behind her. He rolls his eyes, and she stammers an apology.

Unfashionable. Awkward. Clumsy. Completely consistent with the geeky definition.

I suspect there is no need to fear that anyone actually is going to define geeky this way. I suspect people will look at it one of two ways: a sci fi story, or a story about people who are "geeky" about some subject, probably one that we commonly associate with geeks, and who are somewhat awkward (distinguishing them from fetishists), where the story somehow concerns the geeky subject. I wouldn't worry about the category scope too much.

I suspect people will look at it one of two ways: a sci fi story, or a story about people who are "geeky" about some subject, probably one that we commonly associate with geeks, and who are somewhat awkward (distinguishing them from fetishists), where the story somehow concerns the geeky subject.

I don't think that the event was ever conceived to be about geeky people--it was about Sci/Fi stories for Sci/Fi readers.

Those stories wouldn't have to published in Sci/Fi. They could be in I/T, Lesbian, Group, E/V... But if the event doesn't have an explicit definition, then it could just as well be "The Lit, May 15th" event.

geek·y
/ˈɡēkē/Submit
adjective

noun

a foreign-film geek.

If I took that limited definition Chloe my story last year wouldn't have fit in, nor the one this year.

I was working with the sci fi and fantasy last year and did fantasy as I was intending this year. But it would straddle another category that the story could also fit into too.

Maybe I should do Martian Slut Ray 2 :D

I guess I could make the guy geeky. It would fit in with some of the scenes.

If I took that limited definition Chloe my story last year wouldn't have fit in, nor the one this year.

I was working with the sci fi and fantasy last year and did fantasy as I was intending this year. But it would straddle another category that the story could also fit into too.

Maybe I should do Martian Slut Ray 2 :D

I guess I could make the guy geeky. It would fit in with some of the scenes.

Treat the definition loosely - I don't think anyone is going to quibble too much. It's geek-day theme, right. I think I can just leave that to everyone to interpret in whatever way they want. :D

As Not-Wise said, the original event was heavily Sci-Fi oriented, I just tried to loosen that up a bit to allow for a little more individual creativity. The intent wasn't to restrict so much as add a little flexibility for everyone to let their creativity flow.

.... It was in fact open-ended, just Sci-Fi and Fantasy + Geek, which is a very broad brush indeed.

Exactly, and Geek can cover a multitude of things.... and it's for Geek Pride Day, so yes, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Geek..... like I said, my one is a Cosplay FanCon setting and that's about as Geeky as it gets without being Sci-Fi - unless I threw in aliens, which I'm not. So it could be in any category that I wanted to write to, but still in line with the theme.

I think it's safe to say you can write to any Category you like, but just keep the Geek Pride theme in mind, and Sci-Fi can be as geeky as you get for sure. I don;t think we need to pin it down to tightly. Everyone here's got a brain and can figure out their own interpretation of Geek Pride :D - if anyone goes to wildly of the reservation, I'm sure the reader comments will set them straight LOL

Last edited:
I just remember last year, where I had a pretty sweet story about a geek and his girlfriend which got kiboshed because it wasn’t SF. I’m not complaining; the SF story I did end up writing I enjoyed a lot, but some of these posts do sound like a rehash of what I went through last year via PM.

Treat the definition loosely - I don't think anyone is going to quibble too much. It's geek-day theme, right. I think I can just leave that to everyone to interpret in whatever way they want. :D

As Not-Wise said, the original event was heavily Sci-Fi oriented, I just tried to loosen that up a bit to allow for a little more individual creativity. The intent wasn't to restrict so much as add a little flexibility for everyone to let their creativity flow.

Exactly, and Geek can cover a multitude of things.... and it's for Geek Pride Day, so yes, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Geek..... like I said, my one is a Cosplay FanCon setting and that's about as Geeky as it gets without being Sci-Fi - unless I threw in aliens, which I'm not. So it could be in any category that I wanted to write to, but still in line with the theme.

I think it's safe to say you can write to any Category you like, but just keep the Geek Pride theme in mind, and Sci-Fi can be as geeky as you get for sure. I don;t think we need to pin it down to tightly. Everyone here's got a brain and can figure out their own interpretation of Geek Pride :D - if anyone goes to wildly of the reservation, I'm sure the reader comments will set them straight LOL

But there is so much more to being a geek!

D&D

Math Club

LARPing

Computer Science (remember that old movie "Weird Science?)

Unicorn stuff, Werewolves, Vampires, Wizards, Orcs, Dwarves, Elves (Elvi?)

Its a great big Geeky world out there!

I'm still waiting for someone more talented than me to write some smutty Transformers or He-Man fanfic.

But there is so much more to being a geek!

D&D

Math Club

LARPing

Computer Science (remember that old movie "Weird Science?)

Unicorn stuff, Werewolves, Vampires, Wizards, Orcs, Dwarves, Elves (Elvi?)

It's a great big Geeky world out there!

It's looking very much like I'm heading in that direction but with Arnold's discovery that he has a strong inclination for dominance... I wonder what Dolores' safe word was?

Is there an accessible list of the Geek Event stories from last year? In general, are old event/contest story lists still available?

Is there an accessible list of the Geek Event stories from last year? In general, are old event/contest story lists still available?

At least recent pages still exist, but I don't think they're linked anywhere on the site. I've been able to find some using Google.

You can find the link that Chloe provided by googling "Geek Pride Day" site:Literotica.com and scanning down the list.

At least recent pages still exist, but I don't think they're linked anywhere on the site. I've been able to find some using Google.

You can find the link that Chloe provided by googling "Geek Pride Day" site:Literotica.com and scanning down the list.

Thank you! Very helpful. I think it's odd that there's no archive of past events and contests one easily can link to at this site.

Back