Geek Pride Day! Official Support Thread

Looking forward to reading these stories. Does anyone remember the day when retired authors were set to post new work on the site?
Alas, I missed that day, but I was recently made aware of it. :D Another wonderful contribution to the site through the efforts of blackrandl1958

There is probably no way to know how many "Geek Pride" stories have actually been submitted or approved, is there? I mean other than asking Laurel?
Speaking of Black Randi... I inquired how this was done. It is possible, but it takes organization, willingness to correspond and follow-up, and time to meet Laurel half-way. The first two I have, the last, not this year. :(

(I'm preparing to move end of this month, working full time, writing 2 novels simultaneously, writing/prepping this story for Geek Pride, and beta-reading for other authors...my cat wonders what my face looks like and why her food bowl isn't constantly full, and hubby has been making sure there's dinner under my own nose on late work nights).

...aaand now there's two squirrels fighting on my roof at sunrise. :rolleyes:

But this first year, we can do some Collective Word-of-Mouth once Laurel does her thing and the stories lay before us. :) More update to come.

Etaski, please add me to your list:

Murder on Capella Space Station, A murder-mystery set in the future.
By Erinaceous, 15K words
w00t! I absolutely will, there will be several more updates as we enter the homestretch and hit Geek Pride Day. Congratulations, and thank you for visiting the forum! :D Another veteran of the category, and a murder mystery, to boot!

I love the mix of ideas we're getting. :cool:

What an exciting lineup! I hope mine will stack up to the hype...
Congrats to everyone who's finished and keep it up everyone who's not- including me!
:D Not meaning to make you nervous. I'm actually easy to please when the beginning hooks me like yours did and proves you can take the lead. I'd already decided to lie back and say, "Tell me a story."

I'm with Loqui: You got this, and we're pulling for you. :heart:

Mine is light on computer science, but it's got plenty of strange biology.
Strange biology (magic words for my ears!), and you are the only person I know to use the word "phylum" in casual conversation in recent years. :D

I'm really looking forward to reading this. :cattail:

Mine is

"Mercury Retrograde"

I've seen that mentioned so damn often and it seemed to fit the story.

– There were already overhead cranes for moving things about. A bit of divider partitioning and some lockable gates were enough to satisfy the security needs of the often paranoid pilots. People who were as a group more worried about their spare parts being seen than a ship full of nuns on “Bath-a-Nun” day.

Robot designers and lunatics are often seen to walk hand in hand.–
Woooo.. Would you consider this more Space Pirates or Steampunk Pirates? :cool: (which would be a really cool reference to Abney Park, but it's just a spark in my brain)

And now the long wait for the "Good story but ..." comments.
Lol! Oh, god. Too true at times, but you won't be hearing that from me. After the last two months, I feel like being the one who gets out of her seat and applauds every film at a festival regardless of critical quality. Because creating and finishing something to be shown before a crowd at a set time isn't easy.

I'm a stickler for details, and this time I wrote first-person POV, so there was quite a lot of internal monologue as well. Add to that an inordinate amount of world-building and some gratuitous sex scenes and boom - 53k words.

Now, granted, a better writer might be able to condense my waffling into something more compact, but that's the best I could do. Took me three weeks of near-constant work to piece together, including a 24.000 words false start (or rather, a plot line which proved too much for the current deadline). So, I've written close to 75.000 words for this contest.

No fucking clue for the title though. If anyone wants to wade through my stuff and help me out, give me a holler.

Quick synopsis - convicted engineer with special power gets recruited by a band of alien scoundrels for a difficult heist.

Initially, it was the setup for a shipwrecking story, with the crew marooning on an alien planet, but the plot spiralled a bit out of control after the crash and I realized that between the looming deadline and my hayfever from hell (worst I've had in quite some time) I wouldn't make it, so I decided to cut the crash and have them "just" do their initial mission instead. Turns out to be quite the ride regardless. With enough polish, it might be my best one yet.

So intrigued to read it! If you need a second set of eyes to look it over, I offer my services.

I went the complete opposite direction and wrote my first... 'stroker' I think people call it here. My first twenty stories had a total of like, 5 sex scenes in them combined, so it was an interesting enough departure for me.

Etaski mine is called The Book of Rose: Orcs, by the way.

So intrigued to read it! If you need a second set of eyes to look it over, I offer my services.

I went the complete opposite direction and wrote my first... 'stroker' I think people call it here. My first twenty stories had a total of like, 5 sex scenes in them combined, so it was an interesting enough departure for me.

Etaski mine is called The Book of Rose: Orcs, by the way.

You might want to activate your Private Messages. At the top left, click "User CP", then "Edit Options" in the sidebar, then "Enable Private Messages" somewhere in the list.

I'm fascinated by the breadth of topics even the partially complete list shows. That will be a few weeks of good reading. Hooray for orc sex!

@Etaski: "The Rembrandt Legacy" sounds cool, maybe with "Tales From The Lumia" as series header. "Marooned On Gorgon Ix - Tales from The Lumia Book 2" has a nice ring to it.

Last edited:
When are the stories going to be published? I thought they would be up by now.

Mine is set to "New" with a publish date of 5/24, so I'm thinking they'll all be published at once on that day.

And my Private messages are already set to Enabled for everyone (not just buddies). Might be down or something?

Mine is set to "New" with a publish date of 5/24, so I'm thinking they'll all be published at once on that day.

And my Private messages are already set to Enabled for everyone (not just buddies). Might be down or something?

I think it was a simple case of user error on my part. I totally blame my meds for not being properly logged in.

Mine is the same. A long time to wait! I'm eager to read the stories.

Woooo.. Would you consider this more Space Pirates or Steampunk Pirates? :cool: (which would be a really cool reference to Abney Park, but it's just a spark in my brain)

I should have done a space pirates story come to think of it. No my theme as a writer is "The Erotica Pirate, M.S.Tarot." So the pirate is ... me.

The story is set in an ore mining camp on Mercury. Think Deadwood, with a bit of RobotWars( battle bots, however you want to call it) thrown in.

Lol! Oh, god. Too true at times, but you won't be hearing that from me. After the last two months, I feel like being the one who gets out of her seat and applauds every film at a festival regardless of critical quality. Because creating and finishing something to be shown before a crowd at a set time isn't easy.

A friend did a quick proofread. She said she saw about 4 things in the first 12 pages and that they were minor. If I keep that average I'll be happy as a clam.

The story is 60k, the largest I've ever posted to Lit. If I managed that without a typo it would be a come to Jesus miracle.

:D Not meaning to make you nervous. I'm actually easy to please when the beginning hooks me like yours did and proves you can take the lead. I'd already decided to lie back and say, "Tell me a story."

I'm with Loqui: You got this, and we're pulling for you. :heart:

Thanks Etaski and Loqui! I'll probably be like Chloe, working up to the deadline to get it just right- though it will be a short story instead of a novel :)

The OP says that they will all be published on May 25, which is Geek Pride Day.

Yep, the plan is to bundle them all together on a Geek Anthology Page, like a Contest, but no cigar.

My publish date shows 25th May, which will be 24th May for you slower folk in yank land, what with time zones, retrograde planet motions, and other assorted gim-cracks and scientific notions. Geeks will explain the orbity, timey whimey stuff. For us others, a bit later than the day after tomorrow.

As much fun as this project is... I'm looking forward to the next story WITHOUT attached deadline.

Submitted.

Writers to Proffer Their Wares Upon the Altar of Geekdom:

Status, Titles/description, if applicable (subject to change)

[Warrior], Fantasy/Dukes & Ne'er Do Wells/Goddess-Innocent
by xelliebabex, 30K words.

Feel free to confirm, decline, or update.

I plan to search the "Geek Pride" tag once the stories go live to try to pull together a complete list, with links, here at this thread. :cool: PuckIt mentioned there might be an audio submission for Geek Pride, and I haven't reached out to her (will do if I can pull out a spare moment) but would want to find her if she wasn't in Sci-Fi/Fantasy but in Audio.

There are also a couple people I've heard about who didn't want to be listed/pressured here but were interested in submitting something. :)

Don't worry. We'll find ALL the Geeks!:heart:

I have submitted my wares upon the altar and backed out bowing to the Geekdom assembled here.
It's a boring and vague title but it works for me.

Good luck everyone, I look forward to doing some reading at the end of the month.

Yep, the plan is to bundle them all together on a Geek Anthology Page, like a Contest, but no cigar.

My publish date shows 25th May, which will be 24th May for you slower folk in yank land, what with time zones, retrograde planet motions, and other assorted gim-cracks and scientific notions. Geeks will explain the orbity, timey whimey stuff. For us others, a bit later than the day after tomorrow.

Best descriptions of time zones I've heard in a while, I also suffer from the strangeness of living in the future without access to the cool stuff like lotto numbers ahead of the draw. :)

Best descriptions of time zones I've heard in a while, I also suffer from the strangeness of living in the future without access to the cool stuff like lotto numbers ahead of the draw. :)

Think what it's like for Kiwis or Tongans!

Hi. I'm new here, although I have been lurking on the website for six months. I have a couple of questions about this contest.

Is this just for established authors? You all seem to know each other.

I have written a short story set in the Star Trek universe. Is it appropriate for this conest? Is there someone who would look it over and either tell me, "Yes, it is ok" or "No, you're way off base"?

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm new here, although I have been lurking on the website for six months. I have a couple of questions about this contest.

I have written a short story set in the Star Trek universe. Is it appropriate for this conest? Is there someone who would look it over and either tell me, "Yes, it is ok" or "No, you're way off base"?

You're clearly a Heinlein fan. Welcome!

Personally, I'd love a bit of Trek-rotica in the mix, but I'm new to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy category on Literotica myself, so I'm not sure what the rules are on fan fiction. I think Etaski is probably the thread's resident expert. I'm sure she'll weigh in sooner or later.

The contest is for everyone. As long as your story meets the requirements -- and there aren't many -- it's as qualified as anyone else's to be submitted. Go for it!

The contest is for Sci Fi stories, so the one thing I would check if I were you is whether your story, as set in an existing universe created by someone else, actually belongs in the Celebrities and Fan Fiction category. If so, it might not be appropriate for the contest.

Welcome!

It’s not a contest. More like an anthology. It’s a celebration of geek culture, mostly for shits and grins. And because sometimes it’s nice to write to a theme just for fun. No need to be “established,” as this isn’t really an invitational thing. Keep posting here and you’ll get to know us, too.

I’d think you could feel free to submit, EXCEPT that if your story involves Star Trek I’d think it would need to be in the Celebrity category instead of SciFi, and the ruling early on was that SciFi was the category all the anthology stories would be posted in.

No doubt PuckIt will reply with more clarification.

ETA: I see a number of us posted simultaneously. PuckIt or Etaski are the relevant gurus.

Back