I'm a nerd

"The Disappearing Spoon"
About the Periodic table

Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #3852
ryan8558
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysail View Post

I recently discovered Korda through pure chance of stumbling upon his biography of T. E. Lawrence at the library. As a result of that, I'll now read anything the man writes.

His biography of R.E. Lee is next on my list.

the Lee bio is in my queue as well. will have to add the Lawrence bio. thanks for that bit of info.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 AM   #3853
pink
I will attack you

I joined the local library here, finally and checked out 3 books. Right now I'm reading "X" by Sue Grafton.

"You cannot withstand the storm"

And the warrior whispers back

"I am the storm"

Once you understand the concept of taking responsibility for your life, it's time to move on to knowing what you really want - regarding your body, mind, and soul.

Taking responsibility for your own life means taking care of yourself.

https://donate.territoriodezaguates.com/

http://www.islanddog.org/

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Old 12-21-2017, 03:22 AM   #3854
Radiohead
You look so tired-unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink View Post
I joined the local library here, finally and checked out 3 books. Right now I'm reading "X" by Sue Grafton.
Dont pretend you'll remember it, but she is readable.
Beyond the point
Of no return
Of no return
Then it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

Daydreaming

Old 12-21-2017, 03:34 AM   #3855
pink
I will attack you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Dont pretend you'll remember it, but she is readable.

I've read the first 5 or 6 books in the series. They are, indeed, readable.

"I am the storm"

Once you understand the concept of taking responsibility for your life, it's time to move on to knowing what you really want - regarding your body, mind, and soul.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #3856
cjh
orgone accumulator

A brilliant book. A sometimes hard read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/b...ward.html?_r=0

Old 12-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #3857
cjh
orgone accumulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorilei View Post
Has anyone read "Lincoln in the Bardo"? It's kinda spendy, but sounds intriguing.
This one is great as an audiobook. There are so many characters in the book and the audiobook uses that to its advantage by employing a host of narrators: Nick Offerman, David Sedaris, Don Cheadle,.... The list goes on and on: http://www.penguinrandomhouseaudio.c...colninthebardo

It's like long-form radio drama.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #3858
Lorilei
prude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh View Post
This one is great as an audiobook. There are so many characters in the book and the audiobook uses that to its advantage by employing a host of narrators: Nick Offerman, David Sedaris, Don Cheadle,.... The list goes on and on: http://www.penguinrandomhouseaudio.c...colninthebardo

It's like long-form radio drama.
Yes! It's my current listen, it's fantastic, I love it.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #3859
Dinosaur1
Really Really Experienced

Tom Clancy's "Commander In Chief". A Jack Ryan novel by Mark Greaney.

Clancy passed away in 2013. I can only surmise Greaney has studied Clancy and has picked up on the Jack Ryan character were Clancy left off.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #3860
trysail
Catch Me Who Can

"...Barely half the inhabitants [of Japan in 1946] had a roof over their heads. One in five had tuberculosis. On all sides in the capital were ruined buildings, broken water mains and sewage drains, shattered schools. There was no public transportation: all the buses were destroyed; the trolley lines and their cars had been obliterated. There were the daily degradations and humiliations of the American occupation; there was a pervasive lack of work and its kin: a want of money and widespread beggary and destitution. There was also, or so it seemed, a collapse of society's moral fiber, with gang warfare, prostitution, thievery, and black marketeering pasted onto a national sense of remorse, guilt, resentment, and a deeply felt, unfocused, and chance-directed bitterness.

Yet, for all that, as 1946 got shakily under way, something curious happened: the Japanese people began to ready themselves, though they knew it not, to rise up and display a mettle quite unimagineable in its scope, heft, and range. And the Pacific Ocean was the theater in which this display was to be most vigorously mounted.

In those first few months after the surrender, the country was gripped by a spasm of self-repair, of make-do and mending, of precipitous institutional about-faces and adaptations. Factories that had weeks before been making war materials switched their production lines to start making items needed not by generals and admirals, but by the bone-tired civilians and by the ragged menfolk returning from the battlefields. So bomb casings became charcoal burners, sitting neatly upright on their tail fins and helping households get through that first bitter winter. Large-caliber brass shell cases were modified as rice containers, while tea caddies were fashioned from their smaller shiny cousins. A searchlight mirror maker turned out flat glass panes to repair thousands of Tokyo windows; and for country dwellers, a fighter plane engine piston maker turned his factory to building water pumps. A piston ring fabricator named Soichiro Honda took small engines used during the war as radio generators and strapped them onto the frames of Tokyo's bicycles...

...In a series of secret U.S. Navy experiments that were begun in the early 1960s, a flotilla of antique warships was used to drag sensitive magnetometers back and forth across those Pacific ridge summits that had been found off the Oregon coast. Scientists then analyzed the recordings, and carefully noted the traces of magnetism that had been detected in the rocks below. What they found quite astonished them, as the submarine rocks displayed, with an elegant and instantly understandable symmetry, the record of the already know phenomenon of the earth's magnetic field reversal.

Every fifty thousand years or so, and for no certain reason, the direction of magnetism of the planet abruptly changes: compasses that point to the north suddenly point to the south, to put it simply..."

-Simon Winchester
Pacific: Silicon Chips and Surfboards, Coral Reefs and Atom Bombs, Brutal Dictators, Fading Empires, and the Coming Collision of the World's Superpowers
New York, N.Y. 2015.

Simon Winchester has written a bunch of engrossing and best-selling books. The man is brilliant and a bit of a polymath. This isn't his best work, by any means, but it's entertaining and worth a read.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 AM   #3861
pink
I will attack you

I finished "X" by Sue Grafton..really good.

My next one is Innocence by Dean Koontz.

"I am the storm"

Old 12-28-2017, 02:25 AM   #3862
Radiohead

Quote:
I finished "X" by Sue Grafton..really good.

My next one is Innocence by Dean Koontz.
Tough it out, it should have really been an Odd Thomas novel
Beyond the point
Of no return
Of no return
Then it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

Daydreaming

Old 12-28-2017, 03:06 AM   #3863
squirtn4crtn
Virgin

Recent reading

I have'nt take enough time to enjoy anything lately,however the last memorable piece of classic lit(my fav)was Goetthes(hope i spelled correctly)Fauste.Has been on my bucket list 'o books for the last 25 years or so,but finally came across it in a donated stack of other bucket list books i opened it and clung to every vivid line in the book.It is one of those gems that tends to leave you with lines you never really forget,in fact the type that tend to somehow shape our future personality,profound is perhaps the term.Anyhow,the fact that it is written in an earlier time period dialect makes little difference as I feel it is more like lovely,descript poetry!

Old 12-29-2017, 12:33 AM   #3864
pink
I will attack you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
Tough it out, it should have really been an Odd Thomas novel
I didn't like the Dean Koontz book. Boring.

I'm now into chapter 5 of Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen. I think I've read it before, years ago but it's really good.

"I am the storm"

Last edited by pink : 12-29-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:18 AM   #3865
Radiohead

Quote:
I didn't like the Dean Koontz book. Boring.

I'm now into chapter 5 of Razor Girl by Carl Hansen. I think I've read it before, years ago but it's really good.
If you didnt like Odd Thomas, you wouldnt. I'm not surprised... I was just in a place where it was the only book I had at the time
Beyond the point
Of no return
Of no return
Then it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

Daydreaming

Old 12-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #3866
Lorilei
prude

Awww, Sue Grafton died.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:30 PM   #3867
lovetoread
tacos candy tacos yes

i never made it past L

Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #3868
AnAmericanDarling
Really Really Experienced

Just finished "The Tropic of Capricorn".
Laugh at yesterday

"In My Room" - The Beach Boys

Life is a paradox
and it doesn't make much sense
Can't have the Femme without the Fatale
Please don't take offense

"Like It or Not" - Madonna

Old 12-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #3869
Aglaopheme
Literotica Guru

Old 12-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #3870
Sean
nihilistictechnofetishist

Just finished The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. By Neal Stephenson and Nicole Galland.

Loved it to bits.
There is always a point at which the terrorist ceases to manipulate the media gestalt. A point at which the violence may well escalate, but beyond which the terrorist has become symptomatic of the media gestalt itself. Terrorism as we ordinarily understand it is innately media-related.

William Gibson

Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #3871
trysail
Catch Me Who Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan8558 View Post
the Lee bio is in my queue as well. will have to add the Lawrence bio. thanks for that bit of info.

See http://forum.literotica.com/showpost...postcount=3206

Old 12-30-2017, 06:14 PM   #3872
lovetoread
tacos candy tacos yes

sean got me this, its really good

Winter lasts most of the year at the edge of the Russian wilderness, and in the long nights, Vasilisa and her siblings love to gather by the fire to listen to their nurse’s fairy tales. Above all, Vasya loves the story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon. Wise Russians fear him, for he claims unwary souls, and they honor the spirits that protect their homes from evil.

Then Vasya’s widowed father brings home a new wife from Moscow. Fiercely devout, Vasya’s stepmother forbids her family from honoring their household spirits, but Vasya fears what this may bring. And indeed, misfortune begins to stalk the village.

But Vasya’s stepmother only grows harsher, determined to remake the village to her liking and to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for marriage or a convent. As the village’s defenses weaken and evil from the forest creeps nearer, Vasilisa must call upon dangerous gifts she has long concealed—to protect her family from a threat sprung to life from her nurse’s most frightening tales.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:19 PM   #3873
lovetoread
tacos candy tacos yes

i found my next book

Old 12-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #3874
neci
icen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoread View Post
i found my next book

Old 12-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #3875
Lorilei
prude

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoread View Post

sean got me this, its really good

Winter lasts most of the year at the edge of the Russian wilderness, and in the long nights, Vasilisa and her siblings love to gather by the fire to listen to their nurse’s fairy tales. Above all, Vasya loves the story of Frost, the blue-eyed winter demon. Wise Russians fear him, for he claims unwary souls, and they honor the spirits that protect their homes from evil.

Then Vasya’s widowed father brings home a new wife from Moscow. Fiercely devout, Vasya’s stepmother forbids her family from honoring their household spirits, but Vasya fears what this may bring. And indeed, misfortune begins to stalk the village.

But Vasya’s stepmother only grows harsher, determined to remake the village to her liking and to groom her rebellious stepdaughter for marriage or a convent. As the village’s defenses weaken and evil from the forest creeps nearer, Vasilisa must call upon dangerous gifts she has long concealed—to protect her family from a threat sprung to life from her nurse’s most frightening tales.
I just bought that today!