do you pace your publishing?

rae121452

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 18, 2017
Posts
6,727
do you have a certain number of stories you publish weekly/monthly/whatever? the reason i ask is because i have a fairly good backlog. someone sent me feedback asking if a certain title would be continued...when i said that i was in the middle of chapter 16 he wanted to know why i had only published the first eight. i explained that i didn't want to glut the site but he didn't think that reasonable. should i go ahead and just post everything at once? any pros or cons to that approach? feedback please?
 
I'm currently at a once-a-week Lit. posting (started off at every three days) of standalones and submitting whenever the last chapter posted for serials. Until this summer I was on an every-two-week marketplace e-book publishing. My mainstream commitment is increasing, so I've slowed down the erotica marketplace publishing.
 
Keep publishing them at your own pace.

You're still writing the story, and believe you me, people get a lot more demanding when they're waiting for you to find time to finish writing something. At least as things are, you're well ahead, so all of life's little hurdles aren't keeping you from putting out that next chapter on schedule.
 
I would say publish stand alone stories as soon as you feel they are complete. The more regularly you publish the more followers you’ll build up.

I will only publish multi part stories once I am done with the whole this and then I will do so at regular intervals, probably submitting a chapter every time one is approved.

Soma
 
Yes. If I'm posting a multi-chapter story and writing as I go, I try to allow myself a buffer of one or two chapters. It has a couple of advantages:

- more space to retcon if I realise halfway through chapter 3 that the thing I want to do is incompatible with something in chapter 2
- easier to keep to a regular posting schedule even if my writing schedule isn't so regular
 
I don't worry about it. When it's done, it gets posted. For multi-part stories, I'll put a chapter up when it's done and I kind of round robin so I have a few underway.
 
I think having backlog for a multi chapter story is a good idea, that way there's less cliffhanger time.
 
I was on a one-per-week schedule but situations change. I may finish a few in the upcoming year. No pay = no rush. Nor the rush of publishing, either. :(
 
I have several story arcs where there is an overall connectivity but where each chapter is fully self-contained - I publish those as I write them = whenever.

I have one multi-part thing where I got caught in the trap of having to write fast to put it out at reasonable intervals (won't do that again). I'm currently seven chapters into a stupid long thing, where I will have it all written before I publish the first part - and then submit each new chapter as soon as the last one gets posted. Keep readers happy, if I do that (assure them it's complete, but keep them wanting the next bit).
 
Hard to do unless you have every chapter written and don't plan on doing any additional work once the story is completed. Otherwise, life might get in the way, as it often can.

If you're in that situation though, posting at a regular pace can be helpful to readers because they can get used to checking on certain days for the next part of the story.

Stand-alone works, I would say just publish when it's finished, don't impose a schedule on yourself at the point of publication.
 
I *want* to post more regularly, but I have a family and other obligations that take up a lot of my time. I posted the first part to two stories kind of hoping it would get me moving to post faster. It didn't. lol And then I decided to enter the holiday contest, so that delayed the next chapter I was working on. And now the holidays. *sigh* So... to get to your question - I just post when something is done. I wish I could time things, but my life and available time are too unpredictable. Going forward, however, I do think I will wait til I have the third chapter nearly finished before I post the second. Maybe that will keep me on a roll.
 
do you have a certain number of stories you publish weekly/monthly/whatever? the reason i ask is because i have a fairly good backlog. someone sent me feedback asking if a certain title would be continued...when i said that i was in the middle of chapter 16 he wanted to know why i had only published the first eight. i explained that i didn't want to glut the site but he didn't think that reasonable. should i go ahead and just post everything at once? any pros or cons to that approach? feedback please?

I think you should do as feel comfortable with as you can construct reasons for any way to handle it.

Short rant: I published one story consisting of eight rather short chapters and got some very angry feedback because of the chapter length. I even noticed that the rating of my other published story took a little dip but I felt, and still feel, that the structure was an important part of the story and pulled it through. After all, I wrote it, I put in the effort, it's mine and I do with it as I want to and no one, especially not some anon, gets to tell me what to do with my intellectual property.

But to answer the original question, yes, I do pace my publishings, the few I make.
 
Back
Top