Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > Authors' Hangout

Old 10-01-2017, 01:11 AM   #126
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Daniele Vare, The Maker of Heavenly Trousers

Old 10-01-2017, 02:49 AM   #127
NOIRTRASH
Loves Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeTzang View Post
Uncle Remus? That Joel Chandler Harris? Interesting article on Uncle Remus and on why everything you’ve heard about Uncle Remus is wrong,
We has an Uncle Remus is my town. In those days we called older black men "Uncle."

Chandler claomed Remus was a local character who visited the newspaper office a lot.

Another good source for early Georgia society was GEORGIA SCENES by A.B. Longstreet.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #128
49greg
Literotica Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAngelReally View Post
The Longest Day?

I just started reading his 'Schooled in Magic' series.
No it was part of his 'Ark Royal' series.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 AM   #129
Bramblethorn
Mallory Heart Surgeon.

Seanan McGuire, "Indexing". Cute story about a government agency that tries to stop fairytales from coming true. The team leader is a Snow White trying to avoid a future of poisoned apples and glass coffins, and one of her sidekicks is a Wicked Stepsister...

Old 10-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #130
RubenR
Literotica Guru

Quote:
To the charity workers, Dadaab refugee camp is a humanitarian crisis; to the Kenyan government, it is a 'nursery for terrorists'; to the western media, it is a dangerous no-go area; but to its half a million residents, it is their last resort.
This book describes the lives of several individuals, living in (at that time) the largest refugee camp on earth. It starts by describing the history of each of the persons, explaining why and how they ended up in Dadaab, and then it pictures their challenges, the problems and the possibilities they are facing in the camp; their dreams, hopes, fortunes and setbacks. It painfully shows how, even inside the refugee camp, people are not protected against hunger, violence and repression.
Quote:
Maryam and her mother struggled to see the benefits of the camp. ‘It’s only the bullets that are the problem back home,’ Maryam complained.
Nevertheless, for most inhabitants, going back is no option; for those born inside the camp, it is the only place they've ever known.

Alongside the stories of individuals, the author provides thoroughly founded information about the powers that be:
the politics and fights between clans in Somalia;
the destructive interventions by Ethiopia and Kenia, but also by America and several European countries in Somalia, and role and value of peace-keeping forces. The author also sheds light on the true (?) intentions of these interventions, which are often conflicting with the interests of Somalia and its citizens, and perhaps even conflicting with the interests of the Horn of Africa in general;
drought;
the influence of organizations like the UN, Médecins Sans Frontières and the World Food Program, their (political) fights with Kenyan and Somalian governments, and the sometimes destructive effects of their aid on the region;
the terroristic attacks by Al-Shahab in Somalia, in the Dadaab refugee camp, in large cities of Kenia, and the retributions;
the corruption at small and large scales in the camp, the area, in Kenia and in Somalia;

By drawing individuals out of the anonymity of the impossibly large number of refugees (currently the official number is more than 245 000, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dadaab; the real number is probably much higher than that), and by describing their struggles, failures and successes, the author turns the faceless numbers into human beings. Human beings with the right to live. By linking the problems and bleak future prospective of these people to the incomprehensible politics outside of the camp, it creates a sad, depressing and hopeless picture; there seems to be no realistic chance of a happy end.

I bought this book in one of the bookshops in the airport, on my way to Ethiopia. Reading it, while sitting in the dust at ~900 miles distance from the camp, made the message and my feeling of impotence even stronger.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM   #131
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Anne Perry, Blind Justice

and

C.J. Box, Stone Cold

Old 10-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #132
Zeb_Carter
.-- - ..-.

My Daughter made me Cuckold Him - by imstillfun

Old 12-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #133
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Happily reading the "Gotrek and Felix" series. I've been writing a Swords and Sorcery and Sex story, and Gotrek and Felix, along with Robert E Howard and Fritz Leiber's Swords and ... series are just perfect research material. Love these stories, they're just so good. A totally light and trite relaxing read.

- "Fields of Gold" (a romantic tearjerking tale of a guy, a girl and an AH64 Apache...)

Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old 12-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #134
oggbashan
Ancient writer

Robert Van Gulik's Judge Dee stories including The Haunted Monastery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_van_Gulik

My Valentine's Day entry:

https://www.literotica.com/s/broke-3

Oggbashan's long list of stories
Jeanne D'Artois' few

electricblue66:
It's like [oggbashan] is writing for the third puffin over there by the sixth rock, when everyone else is an emperor penguin in the Antarctic, where there's tens of thousands of the bastards.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #135
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

Louise Penny, How the Light Gets In

P.D. James, The Mistletoe Murder and Other Stories

Old 12-03-2017, 02:51 AM   #136
barefootgirl69
His Wild Little Cupcake

I finished HAUNTED by James Patterson and started GONE FOR GOOD by Harlan Coben tonight
Proud Playgrounder #369 - Happily protected by E -

And though she be but little, she is fierce ~ Shakespeare

i like my body when it is with your body ~ e e cummings

Some of My Favorite Threads:
BFG's Hideout * Daddy's Little Girl * Men in Kilts * I Love a Hairy Chest

Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #137
ChloeTzang
Literotica Guru

Butterfly Swords - Jeannie Lin - Harlequin Historical romance set in China's Tang Dynasty.

The Dragon and the Pearl - Jeannie Lin - another romance set in Tang Dynasty China

- "Fields of Gold" (a romantic tearjerking tale of a guy, a girl and an AH64 Apache...)

Winner - 2017 Literotica April Fools Competition: "Fingerprints on my Heart"

All of Chloe Tzang's stories can be found here
Chloe supports our Veterans by drinking Black Rifle Coffee
Aaaaand... Chloe's first actual published short story ("Blood Sacrifice") now available on Amazon as part of the Sex and Sorcery 4 anthology

Old 12-04-2017, 11:32 PM   #138
sr71plt
Literotica Guru

I've started The Next Always by Nora Roberts. I don't read a lot of Nora Roberts, but this one is the first of trilogy set in the Boonsboro (Maryland) Inn, with the book beginning with the renovation of the inn. Boonsboro is one of the towns settled by the Daniel Boone family as it worked its way West and the inn is an old stage coach stop. Roberts is from Boonsboro and owns the inn. I have reservations for a couple of nights there in the new year, so my wife and I thought it would be kicky to read the books that go with the inn.

I have a thing about staying places authors have stayed and written (or not, in Fitzgerald's case). My family had a dude ranch where Hemingway, Dashiell Hammett, Lillian Hellman, and Ann Morrow Lindbergh retreated to. James Michener wrote much of Centennial there. I have stayed in the room at the Cyprus Forest Park Inn, where Daphne du Marnier wrote part of Rebecca. and there was a plaque on my room door at The Strand Hotel, in Rangoon, Burma, that claimed George Orwell wrote his notes for Burmese Days there. I rented (for a year as a vacation house) the villa in Cyprus where Lawrence Durrell wrote much of the Alexandria Quartet (my landlady was Justine from his quartet) and have stayed in F. Scott Fitzgerald's rooms at the Grove Park Inn in Ashville, where he was on such a drunken binge, suffering from tuberculosis and having put Zelda in a sanitarium (where she burned herself to death) that he couldn't write anything but business letters and tried to commit suicide. ("Right there at that desk, Sir.")

Last edited by sr71plt : 12-05-2017 at 02:25 AM.