The Isolated Blurt Thread II

I was at conference the other day and an invited professor was giving a talk about his work that involved photographs. Midway through, with some fresh images on screen, his voice started to break and he was obviously fighting back tears. These were photos of places he went to remember someone he'd lost. Prob the most moving thing I've seen in a lecture. I'm sure everyone wanted to give him a hug :rose::(

I enjoy the ache of having cooked for family for two days. I also enjoy the stillness and quiet in the house right after they've all headed home...

Speak in India? About what? :eek:

Whoops - I meant to post this in the other thread.

Regardless, to paint with a broad brush - I'd be speaking on American entrepreneurial trends in my field.

Thankfully invited by a colleague, so I don't have to worry about the Mumbai conference scam. Very few details at the moment, but it's an intriguing offer.

It's in much better shape now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4FpWvlZvqA

showphoto.aspx

I was at conference the other day and an invited professor was giving a talk about his work that involved photographs. Midway through, with some fresh images on screen, his voice started to break and he was obviously fighting back tears. These were photos of places he went to remember someone he'd lost. Prob the most moving thing I've seen in a lecture. I'm sure everyone wanted to give him a hug :rose::(

I really appreciate a speaker willing to walk the emotional line and be that vulnerable. It's so much more worthwhile to listen to and feel.

Regardless, to paint with a broad brush - I'd be speaking on American entrepreneurial trends in my field.

Thankfully invited by a colleague, so I don't have to worry about the Mumbai conference scam. Very few details at the moment, but it's an intriguing offer.

Entrepeneurial trends, very few details. Sounds legitimate!

Very cool. Congratulations. The offer in and of itself is a feather in your cap. :cool:

Yes, a great honor.

All the leaders in his field are recognized at conferences in India, yes?

The lack of details is my choice regarding what I share here; you know --on a forum with dicks like you.

At least you regularly live up to your name.

Very cool. Congratulations. The offer in and of itself is a feather in your cap. :cool:

Thanks! It was a nice message to get from a colleague I've known for 20+ years that many would normally assume should be viewed as a competitor.

What's her history?

You'll find a good bit of its story here, with lots of pictures you may find interesting, from before it was moved to be restored.

And here, you'll find a conversation about it from earlier this year. It's currently in Rubbestadneset, just south of Bergen, where it's still undergoing repairs. The conversation is in Dutch, but the Google translation in Chrome is readable. There are a few pictures at that link as well.

It has a protected status, and from what I understand, it will eventually be a museum ship.

I'd never heard of the ship before the picture posted here, but when I saw that it had Bergen on it, I was curious and looked it up.

You'll find a good bit of its story here, with lots of pictures you may find interesting, from before it was moved to be restored.

And here, you'll find a conversation about it from earlier this year. It's currently in Rubbestadneset, just south of Bergen, where it's still undergoing repairs. The conversation is in Dutch, but the Google translation in Chrome is readable. There are a few pictures at that link as well.

It has a protected status, and from what I understand, it will eventually be a museum ship.

I'd never heard of the ship before the picture posted here, but when I saw that it had Bergen on it, I was curious and looked it up.

Thank you.

I see that Hamen is an old bulk carrier. Those who are unfamiliar with vessels built before roughly 1948 can scarcely imagine how small and unseaworthy they appear (by comparison to modern ships).

The U.S. Liberty ships which were hastily built to deliver supplies to allies and U.S. forces in WWII are unbelievably small and tubby looking. The three surviving examples afloat are shocking when seen by modern eyes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_ship

It's GGG time.

No, not that GGG, ya perverts. Gotta Get Grub. :D

Can't live on air alone, yanno! ;)

Microwaving yesterdays leftover coffee because I'm too lazy to make a fresh pot is one of the reasons I'm "The World's Laziest Human"

Back