Go Back   Literotica Discussion Board > Main Literotica Forums > How To...

Old 11-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
NightWalks
Virgin

Tips on writing non-fiction

Hi everyone,

Never written an erotic story before and need some tips on where to start. Been wanting to write about my adventures for awhile so I'm not worried about creating content.

Have any tips on creating an outline or draft of the story?

Thank you all!

-NW

Old 11-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
incesterotica
Experienced

Stop thinking and simply start writing. That's my piece of advice, from one amateur writer to another.

Besides try this link, it shall help : https://www.literotica.com/storyxs/writ_stor.shtml

Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
NightWalks
Virgin

Thank you for the advice! Not sure why I'm having trouble writing it down even though it happened.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #4
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

You don't want to post non-fiction here. Really. Readers want entertaining and stimulating stories, not this-is-what-happened reports. Some of my stories contain straight reporting but that's buried among many amusing lies.

Don't just say what happened. Edit out the boring parts. Add some exciting lies, and dreams of what you did or didn't want to happen - and don't forget to be descriptive.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
Doug_Hinson
Experienced

Write what you feel, then after you finish the whole story, go back and correct the grammar to make it both readable and interesting. The secret to telling a good story, (whether fact or fiction), is conveying your personal feelings about the events. After you have that in text, then you can work on making it readable. People love stories that convey the writer's emotions. That, and stay away from cliches. Cliches are so common, they are boring.

Put passion and feelings in your stories, and your readers will feel the same passion and emotions. No sex story, (whether fact or fiction), is without passion and emotion. If there is no passion or emotion in the event/encounter, then what is the point of doing it in the first place?

If you can't find the passion/emotions when you sit down to write, then get yourself aroused by reliving the events while you write. If you feel you are starting to lose the passion, give it a stroke occasionally just to keep the feeling on edge.

If what you write turns you on, it will also turn on your readers.

Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
voyboyEC72
Really Experienced

General hint.
There's an app called Grammarly which not only corrects spelling but also grammar and punctuation, and it works on this site.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
Saucyminx
High heels and attitude

I agree with Hypoxia. Make it interestingóand hey, maybe it is already really interesting and it wonít be that difficult.

Iím a blurt writer. I just throw everything down on the paper, and then let it sit for a couple days, go back, look at it again, go this is absolute crap, and then clean it up until itís something I can tolerate.

I do suffer wiht writerís block sometimes and have found the best way to push past it is to just write it, no matter how terrible it sounds at the time. You can go back, flesh it out, pare what needs removed, and clean up grammar and spelling later. Just get it out of your head and onto the screen.

Good luck!

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. -- Kathleen Casey Theisen

Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the leather straps. --Emo Philips

Don't think about it, just swallow. --my friend Eileen

She went around with a broken heart, and she wasn't sure who'd broken it. She thought it was herself, mostly.
― Ann Brashares

My Johari window Snatched shamelessly from Bailadora and Fire Breeze, because why not?

Come on in--the smut is fine

Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
UnderMyKilt
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post
You don't want to post non-fiction here. Really. Readers want entertaining and stimulating stories, not this-is-what-happened reports. Some of my stories contain straight reporting but that's buried among many amusing lies.

Don't just say what happened. Edit out the boring parts. Add some exciting lies, and dreams of what you did or didn't want to happen - and don't forget to be descriptive.
All I've ever posted is non-fiction. I try to be as thorough and honest as I can and even though time may have dimmed some details, others are so vivid that it seems like just yesterday.

I'm not necessarily writing for readers, but as a bit of a catharsis for me. Life has been interesting enough, if not a little bit unconventional.

Beyond that, take the advice of others and just start writing. I've never written an outline or story line since life was my outline and my experiences are the story line.

In my stories, "Only the names were changed to protect the innocent (and the not so innocent as well).

True stories of my youthful follies.

What can I say? After all these years, and a diverse variety of sexual experiences, kinks, and fetishes, I'm still trying to figure out this "nature vs nurture" thing.

In any event, I yam what I yam and dat's all what I yam .

Last edited by UnderMyKilt : 11-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
KimGordon67
Rampant feminist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxia View Post

I'm not entirely sure that's the case ... I have a long somewhat involved 'autobiographical' thread that, while it might not have a high readership, has some regular followers. It's edited, but there's no actual untruths in there.

Maybe glance at this before you PM: Writing PMs

Old 12-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #10
Hypoxia
doesn't watch television

Robert Heinlein's time-traveling hermaphrodite protagonist in ALL YOU ZOMBIES, who was his own mother, rapist father, kidnapper, and savior (sort of), listed his pre-recruitment profession as "unwed mother" -- he made a living writing graphic "true confessions" stories for pulp magazines. Sleazier and kinkier tales likely sold better.

I think of that when I see LIT stories claiming authenticity. How can we tell what's true?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
SimonDoom
Literotica Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Hinson View Post

If what you write turns you on, it will also turn on your readers.
This is the best observation or advice I've seen on this thread.

I don't think it matters at all whether you write fiction or non-fiction. If you want to write an erotic story, just ask yourself, what turns you on? Really think about that. If it's something that happened to you in real life, think about what were the elements of the event that turned you on. Write about those. Edit out the other stuff. Clean up the prose. You'll have a story that will turn on others.